PF-1e Final Fantasy d20: A Tale of Two Ivalice - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2022, 08:28 PM
Red Inkmaster

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 140
Red Ledger Red Ledger
Final Fantasy d20: A Tale of Two Ivalice

Game NameFinal Fantasy d20: A Tale of Two Ivalice
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeEpic Final Fantasy goodness with chocobos and Cid of course.
FlavourDimension switching romp with Final Fantasy goodness; so monsters, story depth, and a few epic fights.
Plot SummaryThe story begins in the "modern" city of Ivalice where something odd is occurring. Portals to a vast country also called Ivalice are popping up randomly around the city and causing a small bit of mayhem. Mayor Cid is very concerned, so he is funding adventurers and professionals of all kinds to look into the issue and hopefully find a way to stop the portals from opening. The pay is lucrative and based on renown, so the famous adventuring guilds are making gil hand over fist, but so far nothing has changed. It's been a month and none of the famous guilds are any closer to solving the mystery, or so it appears. Some of the lesser guilds and small groups have vanished without a trace and rescue operations have stalled after they too disappeared. After the disappearances, some of the guilds have pulled up stakes and left for less dangerous work while foreign interests have been piqued and have joined the fray.

On the other side of the portals, the country of Ivalice seems to be less advanced and feudal in nature. They even have their own Cid, Sir Cid of Midgar. A powerful and influential knight in his homeland that is charged with figuring out the portal issue in his own version of Ivalice. One of the core issues comes from the fact that the country of Ivalice covers a much larger area and portals are just as random there as in the city, hence one of the issues given that the country of Ivalice is both sprawling and home to many hungry monsters. Some of the hunting guilds have taken to slaying beasts and reaping the rewards on both sides of the portal. There have even been small migrations from each side, with people seeking better lives where they can.

The King of Ivalice has been providing gil from the royal coffers to help find a solution to this issue. The mages at the royal academy have noticed an uptick in portal activity and portal strength and it is believed that the resonance between the five crystals of Ivalice is reacting to something in the city of Ivalice, hence the opening of portals. Mayor Cid has had the city scoured but has yet to find what could be reacting to the crystals of the other Ivalice. Regardless, the resonance is damaging the fabric between worlds and the royal academy is uncertain about what will happen, but they are gravely concerned. One of the senior mages has theorized that a stable portal can be created between the two realms and that such a portal would stop the opening of random portals throughout both places. He and his team are currently working with the crystals to determine if such a stable portal is possible.

The city of Ivalice has flying airships and a semi-steampunk theme to it. The city and world beyond use refined magicite to power machines and gadgets while the country of Ivalice uses crystals attuned to one of the five primary crystals. The difference in technology is vast as the country of Ivalice focuses more on traditional magic while the city of Ivalice focuses on magicite-powered technology. The more advanced city has access to firearms while the country hasn't progressed beyond the crossbow yet. It has been noted that magicite tech does work in the other Ivalice, but it is unknown if that is due to the portals linking them or if it'll work without a direct link. The same is true of crystals and magic from the other Ivalice. It should be noted that the city of Ivalice has access to much of the same magic that the other does, but it often takes a slightly different form such as through mechanical means or the like.

Players don't have to be from the city. If you want to be from the country of Ivalice, you definitely can. I'll leave it up to players as to if you are forming a guild or just an alliance of convenience.

Game Rules
Final Fantasy Rules Link

- Character Level: 3
- Race Options: Whatever you want from the website.
- Class Options: Any you want found on the website.
- Starting Gil: 3000
- Posting Rate: As often as you can.
- Ability Scores: Not sure atm.
> 18 will be the highest score before racial modifiers.
- Experience gain will be pretty fast with encounters giving higher XP than normal.
- Max HP for each level.
- Feat Tax Fix
- Background Skills
- Number of Players: 5-6
- Deadline: After Thanksgiving

Application
- Name
- Race
- Class
- Physical Traits
- Mental Traits
- Background

Last edited by Red Ledger; Nov 13th, 2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 01:45 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1234
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Hello I've played my fair share of Final Fantasy games, beating 7 and 13, but I haven't quite beat Final Fantasy Tactics or FF12 (I've gotten pretty far, but I don't know all the lore). But I adore the job system and the vibe of Ivalice, high fantasy, nobles, Viera, Limit Breaks, summons, etc. Also I've beaten a lot of similar strategy games like all the Fire Emblems since 6, Fell Seal, Golden Sun, etc.

It will take me a while to poke through all these PF rules, but I'm very interested in putting in an app. Looking at a Dancer, Time Mage or Red Mage character Some hybrid of support and damage dealer.

I know you said as often as possible for posting, which for me is quite often. But is there an ideal minimum or what you'd prefer, like twice a week? More?
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Red Inkmaster

Tools
User Statistics
Red Ledger Red Ledger
Two or three times a week would be nice.

Red Mage is my personal favorite, but I enjoy some aspects of every job.

I've played every one of the games and beaten most of them. The tactics games are my personal favorite, but the early games are great too. I liked 11 and 14 isn't bad as far as MMO's go.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 09:56 PM
Let there be fire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4561
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
While I'm not sure d20 is a great way to replicate Final Fantasy? The one game system I would recommend is super-obscure, and I'll take d20 over the d% game that looks like it'd take forever to run in real time. So... yeah, I'm kinda interested.

Monk, Dark Knight or maybe a White Mage for me. I'll wait and see if anyone else is up for this before a proper application.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 10:44 PM
Red Inkmaster

Tools
User Statistics
Red Ledger Red Ledger
I labored over my own homebrew version, but it pales in comparison to the version I linked so I gave up the ghost. May not be the best way to play tabletop Final Fantasy, but it's a system I know well and a game series I know well, so we'll see what happens.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 11:02 PM
Let there be fire

Tools
User Statistics
Agreed. Helps to work smarter, not harder, with tabletop games. I've tried a little too hard to make my own homebrew games, and outsiders have good reason to be cautious about how well-made a DIY game is or isn't. d20 is one of the most common TTRPG formats for a reason, after all -- it's been stress-tested in all sorts of variants and editions, official or third-party, and it holds up.

Also, I adore the Tactics games myself, and I'm glad you're setting this in Ivalice. It's a great world! Which Ivalice? Yes.

Last edited by Seeks; Nov 13th, 2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 12:26 AM
Evil kitten

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5546
KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat
First draft, more edits possibly forthcoming. Character sheet pending.
Application for Rika Nightgale, Red Mage.The guild registrar's office was shockingly less busy than Rika was expecting as she walked in. She looked left, then right, and when she was sure of exactly where she wanted to be, she went to the back of the two person line. She flipped through the “Application for Formation of a New Guild” that she had spent the last few days revising when she couldn’t find a guild that was both recruiting and appealing to her particular tastes. From those with high joining fees, to required ‘donations’ from mission rewards that bordered on exorbitant, to unsavory jobs, or even the one guild that she preferred not to remember which offered her a position if she agreed to perform… detestable actions on the recruiter, they were all horrible in one way or another. Rika shuddered reflexively as she shrugged off the memory.

Many of the sheets were fairly self explanatory; checking for seriousness of the applicants before leading into the more complicated Rules And Regulations that one would need to follow while forming a recognized guild, recruitment and management of guild activities.

Name of Applicant For Guild Leadership: Rika Nightgale

At least that one was not difficult. Rika thought to herself with a small smirk. Admittedly the next question caused her to stumble for a while as the name of a guild should be something special. Her original inclination had been to fall back on her crimson outfit and call the guild the Crimson Knights… Until she did her research and found there were in fact three Crimson Knights, as well as two Scarlet Knights, two Rose Knights, and at least another seventeen guilds that were some synonym for the color red. While this annoyed her, she accepted that such things were simply not to be and moved on.

Name of Guild Applying For Recognition: Verdant Knights.

Rika smiled to herself as she ran a thumb over the name and the drafted sigil for the guild. The symbol was a grass green shield which was emblazoned with a crossed sword and staff, and she was excited that she could wear the prototype that her mentor crafted for her on her left breast. Her people grew up on the plains, and the sight of fields of grass stretching out to the horizon were a fond memory for the She is 27young(ish) mithra. Leaving to explore the world had been a big choice for her, though if she were to be honest, her mother’s insistence that she marry a particular young man to preserve the bloodline was a helpful motivation to depart… Not least because she preferred women. The next question admittedly she had to run through the filter of those who did not live among The People, a primarily nomadic clans bound more or less together by family bonds and tradition.

Race And Nationality Mithra, Note, bloodline Liono, I just found the name to feel… off and of a completely different setting entirely.Clan Lion.

Clan Lion was as close to nobility among The People as any Which was admittedly First Among Many.clan could claim, and as such she took that history to heart with how she chose to live her life. While she didn’t particularly wish to play the clan politics that lead to advantageous marriages and uniting the clans under one banner… She did take many other things to heart, like protecting the weak, building strong bonds, and when in doubt, taking the lead and guiding your charges to victory. Hence, she was here… Second in line to form a brand new guild.

Profession and Class: Adventurer, Red Mage

Admittedly that should have been patently obvious to anyone within a 30 foot radius who was not completely blind. Her crimson hat had two small slits cut into it that allowed her red furred ears to poke out comfortably and her shoulder length curly red hair was the color of flame. A close observer would note that she had a small Yagudo feather worked into the folds of her hair on the right side. Rika’s face was mostly clear except for an A mithra would read into the tattoo that she is of Clan Lion, 2nd born daughter, unmarried, mother of high influence. A Lion or one with suitable ranks in Knowledge (Nobility) might recognize that she is the daughter of the leader of Clan Lion.intricate brown tattoo which traced along her cheek bone to the hairline which stood out against her lightly tanned skin. Her clothing was exceptionally well made and maintained, a deep crimson with runes of power stitched into the clothing with silver thread and a matching black cape to help protect her from the elements. While flashy, her outfit did serve an important purpose… It hid the fact that she wore a shirt of mithril chainmail that was given to her by her mentor which protected her from bodily harm. While most red mages wore leather trousers that protected their legs from combat, Rika chose instead a knee length black skirt that allowed her red haired tail to swing more freely and didn’t restrict her movements while running… And were she to be truthful, it was easier to adjust when she was trying to be flirty. Lastly were her mid thigh black boots which were graced with another set of runes.

As she moved to the front of the line, Rika looked down at the sections of the application that seemed… wrong, but she accepted that such things were what they were.

Physical Traits: Mithra. Capable swordswoman. Attractive.

She smirked at the last point to herself, as her mentor had always said that if she was thirty years younger she might have made a pass at her… She knew that appearances did matter as much as she wanted to be judged by her actual… limited accomplishments so far.

Mental Traits: Capable Magic User. Practical. Diplomatic. Honorable. Follower of the teachings of Bard Sappho.

While she didn’t particularly like tooting her own horn, she was reasonably confident that she could accomplish great things with a guild of future friends and allies behind her. The last point on the list she thought might be misunderstood by a less schooled student of history, who might not know that the Bard Sappho was known for inspiring words and leadership at many important junctures of the past… And much of the foundations of the modern guild system. She also shared Rika’s love, and it was helpful to have someone like her that could be both a capable leader while not ending up alone.

Background: Technically accurate, though this was her father and Mithra are matrilineal and matriarchal, so functionally a worthless descriptionDaughter of Tizaken, Student of Moira of Ivalice, Trained in the Art of Red Magic.

”Next!” Called out the hume man who was running the counter and looked up at Rika with the expression that seemed universal to any overworked government employee the whole universe over. She confidently strolled over and slid the paperwork across the counter to the man, as well as a hundred gil piece that would serve as the registration fee.

”I hope that you will find all the paperwork in order.” Rika said in her natural smooth soprano voice as she worked hard to smother her accent. She didn’t want to appear to be an outsider to the big city, rolling her Rs and appearing naive of the ways of a more ‘civilized’ society. ”I have read all the relevant Rules and Regulations, I attached two letters of reference from Mage Moira and Mage Hoshi-” She admitted to herself that the 2nd she wrote personally and managed to get a signature from the second mage as a way to get her to go away rather than a stamp of approval. ”to my ability to perform magic as well as Swordsmasters Illias and Swordsmanster Arashi attesting to my competencies with the blade.” Rika tapped the hilt of her rapier as she saw that the man was mostly not paying attention as he skimmed through the paperwork, mumbling to himself.

”I also heard that you are a fan of fine chocolates and thought that you might appreciate a small selection.” Rika added as she slid a small paper bag across the counter with a smile. She had left very little to chance and had, admittedly, followed the man for a day or two before applying, and had observed him window shopping at the confections store both on his way to and from work.

”No bribes.” The man said as he didn’t move to push the bag away.

”Why good sir, it is not a bribe at all. It is a-” She said a high word of mithran that she was grateful for the fact that most people couldn’t understand literally translated to ‘bribe’. ”A gift to celebrate monumental occasions amongst my people… And as your efforts are essential, it seemed only natural to mark the occasion with a gift worthy of your esteemed station.”

The man blinked once, then twice. He then looked in the bag at the pricey chocolates and casually disappeared the bag under the table lest someone see it. ”Ah yes, cultural gifts commemorating…” He then attempted to repeat the mithran word and managed to almost say pancake. ”Clearly not a bribe at all. Approved.” He stamped the application, took the fee and slid the appropriate formal documentations back to the red mage. As she took her paperwork and began to leave, she heard the man laughing under his breath as he got closer to saying pancake.

Rika smiled to herself as she strode out into the busy marketplace. ”Now all that is left is finding some new allies.” She said to herself as her day was clearly looking up.

Character Sheethttps://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=91978

Consider nominating someone yourself when they do an amazing job! Nominate here!

Last edited by KellyCat; Nov 15th, 2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 09:27 AM
Red Inkmaster

Tools
User Statistics
Red Ledger Red Ledger
Excellent application KellyCat! I enjoyed reading it immensely.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 74
LastBardStanding
Demon | Moogle Chemist [WIP]

Demon

Demon
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

Personal InformationMoogle [Hailing from the city of Goug, the birthplace of technologies throughout Ivalice, these moogles are inquisitive and inventive, often to problematic extremes, kupo.Goug Tinker Alternative Heritage]
Whether secreted away in a smoky basement laboratory or gleefully experimenting in a well-respected school of magic, the chemist is often regarded as being just as unstable, unpredictable, and dangerous as the concoctions he brews. While some creators of alchemical items content themselves with sedentary lives as merchants, the true chemist answers a deeper calling. Rather than cast magic like a spellcaster, the chemist captures his own magic potential within liquids and extracts he creates, infusing his chemicals with virulent power to grant him impressive skill with explosives.Chemist

AppearancePhysical Traits
Cute(ish) - Like most of Moogle-kind, Demon is small, fluffy and innocent looking. At a glance. If one were to look at the singed whiskers, the unkempt locks of sandy brown hair, or take a gander at his frayed and burned armor, the thin veneer of the Moogle innocence would crack. While yes, Demon is made of all the same sugar, spice and everything nice that most Moogles are, the balance must have been way off. The cute Moogle smile is instead, a mad grin showing off all of his teeth from front to back, feral in every way. The cute poof on his head has been dyed black with a white skull on it, to look like the bombs he loves to craft. This Moogle was fed after midnight.
Eternal Flame - Given his proclivity for powders and potions and explosive projectiles, Demon is constantly surrounded by flammable (and inflammable) material, which often is the cause of any fire that can be seen on him, or will be the cause of fire that can be seen singing his fur or clothes at a later date. He has a thin layer of gunpowder in his fur at all times like some sort of mad scientist dandruff. The hair of his body is often patchy or much darker than the usually sandy brown simply due to the frequency with which he is set on fire during his experiments or activities. He smells like burnt hair and magnesium.
Heavily Armed - Though not in the traditional way of carrying arms and weapons with him, the little mad scientist is always on the hunt for new materials to make explosives or interesting devices out of to scratch that obsessive little itch at the back of his mind. His small pockets and pouches are filled with ingredients ready to be combined and thrown at a moments notice, ready to cause chaos in a range of elemental manners. He has all manners of bandoleers across his body containing all sorts of parts, and slung across his back is an unusually rotund sack where he keeps what he likes to call the Perfect Bomb: The Hexplosive

PersonalityMental Traits
Mad - Though not mad in the sense that there is a broken connection to reality, not all the way at least, he is certainly situationally aware, but mad in the sense that his mind is constantly abuzz with new ideas and experiments to carry out, often with incendiary results. Demon understands that explosives may not always be the best route to take in any given situation, but the madness he suffers from is the kind that simply makes him travel the road less travelled anyway. Certainly, when incentivised correctly, the little Moogle can curtail his more disruptive aspects of his personality, but when that devilish little grin crosses his face.... Well, start the countdown.
Creative - Beyond a shadow of a doubt, his intelligence is staggering, and if it were to be focused on something more socially beneficial, then one could image there would be fewer problems in the world. Instead, because problems are what he likes to invent the most, Demon tends to use his creativity more for his own entertainment than the benefit of anyone else. This interesting take on an explosive savant has given provided him with an incalculable amount of hours of entertainment at the frustration of those who see how beneficial that creativity could be.
Harmless - Sort of. Demon is many things: Irresponsible, chaotic, dangerous, criminal, and full of bad ideas, but he is not cruel, and due to this small piece of goodness in his heart, he does his best to make sure that when having fun with his explosives, or performing his experiments, innocents are not caught or harmed (permanently at least). This is to say that the only people he ever intentionally blows up are those who mean to do him harm (or himself accidentally). Ultimately, he is not such a bad guy, just a bit of a problem child

HistoryBackground

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	token_z4.png
Views:	6
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	97694   Click image for larger version

Name:	token_z3.png
Views:	156
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	97695   Click image for larger version

Name:	token_z2.png
Views:	1
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	97696   Click image for larger version

Name:	token_z1.png
Views:	155
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	97697   Click image for larger version

Name:	token_5.png
Views:	153
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	97698  

Last edited by LastBardStanding; Nov 15th, 2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Evil kitten

Tools
User Statistics
KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat KellyCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ledger View Post
Excellent application KellyCat! I enjoyed reading it immensely.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading it. When should we expect the rest of character generation rules?

Consider nominating someone yourself when they do an amazing job! Nominate here!
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 06:53 PM
Let there be fire

Tools
User Statistics
EDIT: Character application done!

Okay, was able to give some of these classes a skim. They're not as vanilla as I'd worried! There's clearly 3.x D&D influence but they kinda surprised me with how much Final Fantasy uniqueness they added.

Alrighty, I will use this space for a character sheet. Going with a Monk. Haven't decided if I wanna go with a Human Monk or a Burmecian Bard, especially as this is based in Ivalice where Burmies don't normally exist. Actually, this is the perfect time to dust off an old FF9 OC of mine...

Character App: Jess, Bard
right-aligned image

- Name: Jessabelle "Jess" Ambrosia
- Race: Burmecian (Half-Cleyran)
- Class: Bard

- Physical Traits:
  • Wimp: Compared to other Burmecians of her age and gender, Jess is notably less muscular. She was barely able to handle the physical parts of her basic training as a soldier, at least those requiring elbow grease over alacrity or fortitude. Her lack of physical might certainly holds her back at times, even as an adventurer.
  • Wispy: To accommodate for her lack of physique, Jess instead doubled down on becoming graceful. A skilled acrobat with great hand-eye coordination, her litheness also helps her stage presence. Her silky-smooth dancing and gesturing when singing can certainly help keep eyes on her performances. Perhaps the strongest muscles she has are in her legs, but given her race's leaping abilities, it's not far off.
  • Scrappy: While Jess isn't particularly strong, she possesses the innate resilience against sickness and exhaustion that befit the rat-like Burmecians. She has never had a sick day in her life (that wasn't just a bluff to get out of work), she can tread water for prolonged periods of time, and the marches of her cadet days never bothered her. This resilience may have to do with how strong her legs are, or the poverty she grew up in exposing her to pathogens, but such toughness means Jess can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

- Mental Traits:
  • Easygoing: In most cases, Jess is a very easygoing, laid-back gal, seemingly unflappable and not concerned with what tomorrow might bring. Money's tight? Find a venue or pick up an odd job or two. Someone's giving her a hard time? She's got insults aplenty to fall back on, or can put on a cool and collected brave face. Performance going sour? A little self-aimed satire goes a long way. Life is a stage, and improv serves a performer well, so why not do it live? The only thing she can't seem to stand is when others talk down to her, or won't shut up and trust that she can learn something by doing it for herself.
  • Inspired: Despite her slacker nature, Jess loves to learn. In fact, she loves to learn by example, or to find inspiration for her next song. There's no time to slow down in a life lived to the fullest. In truth, Jess likes a good challenge... as long as she feels she can conquer it. About the only academia Jess cares about is history, and specifically people who made a difference for weal or woe. To them, the luminaries and adversaries of the past are the muses Jess needs to tell her own tales... and to remind herself that if they could handle their age's troubles, so can she.
  • Worrywart: At times, Jess comes off as a lazy punk. In truth, she tries not to think of trouble. If she isn't throwing herself into the thick of things, or is purposely goofing off to keep herself at ease, her mind thinks of too many things that could go wrong too often. She can be a bit paranoid of others' intent or of being tricked, so she tries to steal and keep the limelight. She's also worried of not being good enough, hence why she spent too long hiding her talents as a songstress. And she absolutely hates asking for help, being too stubborn to admit when she's beaten.

- Description: Jess is shorter than the usual Burmecian, but still as lithe as they normally are. Her short white hair is shaggy, her fur a pale gray, and her rodent eyes are a soft blue. She wears a black leather coat with a red trim, though the leather itself has signs of being worn down. Wears blue worker's coveralls with a sky blue tunic over her chest, and has dark blue leggings. Often carries a dagger in her coat's inner pocket, and notably carries her corsuque-like long spear from her cadet days as her main weapon. Her songbook is never far from her, and she's constantly scrawling ideas for songs into its pages.

- Background: The baby of the family, Jess grew up as the daughter of a veteran father and a minstrel mother. Having had to flee their home city when it was being sacked, her father Benjamin had to choose between his people or his wife. In the end, he went AWOL to rescue his darling Dawn... and the son she held within her, Kinson. Jess was born a year later in the slums of a city with a strong night life. Benjamin made ends meet as a laborer, and Dawn made extra money as a bard. Jess always loved the stories her mother told, while Kinson held a strong sense of personal and familial honor. While her brother was a straight arrow, Jess always got herself in and out of trouble in town.

In Jess' preteens, her family moved from the city back to their homeland. Arriving there, the Ambrosia family was disgraced for Benjamin's actions. He was no dragon knight, nor did he face criminal charges for abandoning his people, but the stigma of not dying with his brothers in arms hung over his wife and children's heads as well as his. Jess and Kinson were bullied in school for something they didn't do. Kinson's mind was made up -- he would restore the honor of his family by becoming a soldier himself. In time, he succeeded and became a cavalier, whose skills with the saber on horseback were compared to Odin with his Zantetsuken strike by his peers.

But Jess didn't have such glory. Despite being a country bumpkin and ignoring her studies, an insubordinate mischief-maker and a scrawny rat, she loved learning history and stories, and was pretty adaptable as a worker. She held odd jobs to help her family make ends meet, and soaked in the history of her homeland. Having written what she assumed was the magnum opus of her teen years -- an ode to a legendary savior of her people -- she was laughed out of the town square by her own peers before she could get halfway through the song.

Then one day, coming home with a Potion for Kinson, who overdid his training? She got jumped. And beat up. And the bottle of her healing fluid smashed over her head. Something broke inside Jess that day, coming to as a rainstorm picked up on the cobblestone streets. She wasn't good enough. No matter how much passion she had, she was guilty for crimes she didn't commit. She wasn't right. It was her aberrant nature. She didn't belong.

Jess did the only thing she could think of. Admiring her father's war stories and her brother's potential as a cavalier, Jess joined her city's military academy. Kinson's positive reputation helped her make it to basic training. Jess was worried she'd crimp her brother's style, but what choice did she have? She was inspired by the stories of the heroine, of whom she wrote an ode to years ago. She was going to be a dragoon too, and like it. Full stop.

But Jess struggled with the physical training, and couldn't handle the discipline required for being in the military. She couldn't finish basic training and, marching home from the academy with a spear styled like the traditional Burmecian corseque, sobbed as she walked the streets of her peoples' old home alone.

A voice broke her out of her tears. Her mother. Dawn was getting up there in years, but she was a fearless troubadour. If she could handle being a minority race in the country of Ivalice, far from her home, how much more could her own people despise and fear her? As fate would have it, Dawn was there to console the crestfallen Jess. Jess finally cracked, revealing her self-loathing for not meeting others' expectations, and how much she envied her brother's successes.

What Dawn told her would inspire her pursuit of happiness, seeking it for herself.

Kinson was always brave and honorable, but he bore a smile to hide his tears. The brother and sister were like day and night. He chose his path in life for his own reasons. If he could, then so could Jess. Until the day she was ambushed and attacked, she was unrelentingly herself and marched to the beat of her own drum. Even if Jess wasn't cut out to be a soldier, she was cut out to be a minstrel. After all, she had a knack for it.

Dawn called forth familiar lyrics. Jess' heart stopped, if only for a moment, as her heartstrings were played like her mother's beloved lyre. It was the daughter's ode to that heroine of old! Tears of joy washed away tears of sorrow before long. Jess would spend a couple weeks with her parents, but would soon set out on her own before long.

With the seeds of bravery to be herself instilled and nurtured that day, Jess would set out to travel the land. She'd find a home of her own in the city of Ivalice. And as portals to a whole country called Ivalice started appearing, the call to leap into adventures in the unknown was presented.

What better way to tell amazing tales, Jessabelle "Jess" Ambrosia wondered, then to become a part of one?

Last edited by Seeks; Nov 15th, 2022 at 08:51 PM. Reason: App finished
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 07:51 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
cav cav cav cav
Just wanted to add I'm happy to make another submission to fit a role or gap in the party makeup as we tend to be producing a lot of support and back line characters. The dragoon, knight, holy knight, berserker (Mist Rabbit) and sea wolf also look appealing to me. A war priest, if it was available, would really fit in well with what has been presented so far.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 09:06 PM
Let there be fire

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't necessarily say we'd need a melee-focused character, but I won't object.

I find that in D&D, the best offense is a good defense. Red Mages and I'd assume PoleDancers are decent at damage-dealing if they're anything like their Final Fantasy counterparts. And we'd have support from my Bard (and I like building support characters who can fight to a degree, too). ArcZero hasn't posted an application yet but even so, a Time Mage would also be great support too, given Red Mage and Dancer have already been taken in apps so far.

That said? Again, I wouldn't say no to a Dragoon or Holy Knight. Heck, I was considering a Dark Knight before I remembered my old fan character and pulled up her reference. ^^;
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1234
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Yes I'm going to make a Time Mage with a 3/4 Base Attack Bonus Archetype and a small dip into Fencer for proficiencies and that tasty once-a-round parry. Yes Bard, Red Mage and Dancer are a lot of support/buffing/healing. Time Mage is good at debuffing. Chemist is a consistent ranged option.

I will post the character soon by editing this post
I will do my character application when and if Red Ledger shows up again

Last edited by ArcZero; Nov 23rd, 2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Evil kitten

Tools
User Statistics
Personally I am of the belief that you should write one character that you are strongly passionate about rather than splitting your focus between two (or more) characters that don't carry that same feeling. Write a character that you are proud of and the DM will see it too. But that is my 2gil more than anything, and you should use or discard as you wish.

Red Mages are primarily front line offensive casters more than support/buffing... As I am pretty sure that I calculated damage out to be 5d6+2+STR+STR+INT+CHA before 2x chances of critical hits on 18. Note: Assumes no spell failure for defensive casting and both attacks hit.something unfriendly to life on two hits in one round. But the biggest problem that I keep running into is that they are limited to light armor until level 7, and most of our buffs VS damage are one hit wonders rather than things that last multiple rounds. Think of her more as a Black Mage with a sword who can do light healing.

Closed Thread