Best practice for dice rolls - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 16th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 767
thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild
Best practice for dice rolls

I have a few questions on best practices for PbP dice rolls.

1. Is it better to roll in the dice thread or directly in the game thread? If one is better than the other--why?
2. When rolling in the dice thread, do you "link" to it in the game thread by quoting the post, or do you just post the results in the game thread?
3. When rolling for something like crit damage, do you just edit the post after the original attack/damage rolls are made?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 16th, 2021, 03:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1853
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
My ever-so-himble opinion:

1: That's up too the GM to decide how they want it Neither is "better" than the other; it's purely a matter of personal preference, and falls under 'Rule 0'.

2: I generally post the result in the game thread, and make the result a hyperlink to the post in the die roll thread.

3: I would just edit the post to at the additional roll. I actually do the same for pretty much all attack/damage rolls; I submit the post with the attack roll only, then if it hits I edit the post to add the damage roll.
Old May 16th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23389
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Hey feywild!

1. Most DM's will state if they have a preference. Otherwise it tends to be whichever is more comfy to you. I tend to tell my players: whatever is easiest for you, so long as I can see it within my game board.

2. Its good practice to note what your roll was or link to it using the URL tag. You can alternatively use the tool-tip (tt) tag to make the roll
Dice Shortsword against goblin 2:
d20+5sh12 (16)+5 Total = 21
→ d6+3g (4)+3 Total = 7
integrated within your narration, this is my personal preference. Just know all rolls that arent native to that post gain a red border to let the DM know "hey, this roll wasn't made in this post. It was linked."

3. Yes. If you roll in the post then you'd need to edit and make another roll for crit damage. If you roll in a dice thread you can do much the same or just make a new post with the crit damage. Just so long as you dont changing the dice label name, the formula used, or the dice ID it gains after submittingalter the original dice roll after hitting submit, you're fine.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72937
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
it's all preference.

personally, I like all die rolls in the game thread, in a spoiler button.

but that's me. I just like all my action in the fewest windows/tabs that I can, as a DM.
Old May 17th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39351
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I prefer to roll in the post unless I absolutely have to know the result before posting (like a paralysis save or something). As Admin Dirk said, it keeps it all in one place and it also keeps your post count down not having to make two posts for every update.

I link any results and toss them into my OOC fieldset.

I believe we have codes to automatically explode dice, but I've never been a fan and always just edit the post. If you don't feel comfortable editing rolling posts, you could also just make a new post and lable the rolls as being crit related
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21991
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I agree 1 is a matter of your preference and GM preference.

2 is not a matter of preference, it is a firm yes. If you roll in the dice thread, ALWAYS link to that roll in your post. Not doing so just creates needless work for the GM and GMing is enough work as it is.

3 is a matter of preference, but best practice is to edit after you know you hit/threatened critical/confirmed critical. Rolling provisional damage, critical confirmation, and critical damage rolls every time you attack is just a LOT of wasted key strokes at the end of the day. It also runs the risk of the GM not noticing that you missed because he assumed you'd only roll damage if you hit. So yeah, it's a matter of preference, but best practice is definitely to edit after you know you hit/critted.

I'll also say that it's best practice to add "sch" target numbers for AC and DC whenever that info is available to you. It makes hits and misses more apparent with the green check or red X:

Dice Attack v AC 9:
1d20+10sch9 (10)+10 Total = 20

Dice Attack v AC30:
1d20+9sch30 (12)+9 Total = 21

Last edited by ruffdove; May 22nd, 2021 at 09:32 PM.