RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 15th, 2015, 07:00 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Studio Audience (general OOC)

Oh, look at that! You have found this thread - well done! But the challenges that wait beyond here are far more grueling!

Yes, it is once more time for the Iron DM competition! Within this thread lies the place for random discussions amongst those "contestants", or "poor fools"participating in, and "spectators", or "armchair judges"participating out of the 2015 Iron DM competition. Feel free to chat as you wish, however do not discuss the current rounds ingredients until the judges have posted for that round!

If you would like to contribute to the list of ingredients (with locations, creatures, objects, or other more abstract elements), you can post them in secret in this thread.

Round Zero is the place to express your interest. This is not a simple "Sign up Sheet", but the first step in the competition! The final competitors will be selected from there, so read the first post carefully, and follow the instructions. Make sure you read the rules, especially about not discussing current ingredients until judgements have been made

But, for now, chat, speculate, and ponder on what the competition will be like. And, if you wish, offer feedback and suggestions on what has come before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iron DM 2015.png
Views:	28631
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	65909  

Last edited by hvg3akaek; Sep 15th, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Anime boxer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara
Yay! Iron DM is here!
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Eldritch Burger Flipper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5622
McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu
I was just thinking yesterday "Huh. Iron DM would be a great way to let people know that I'm poking around the site again."

BOOM. GAUNTLET THROWN. I'm going for the gold this year.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Sauceror Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11800
kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman
You know what? I'll throw in again this year.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Eldritch Burger Flipper

Tools
User Statistics
McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu McThulhu
Just to be 100% sure, the rules for round zero are completely up there, right? If I were somehow ready to do my application already, I could post using those guidelines and not worry about immediate disqualification?

I'm paranoid ;_;
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 742
Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist
So if we were interested in posting an application, as mentioned a great idea would be to secret it, question is who to secret it to? Should we include just hvg3akaek? Or wait until all the judges get a chance to post in the intro thread and include them too?
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14929
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Hugga, I've never done this, and I've already managed to confuse myself twice.

1) Are there any ingredients for round 0?

2) I don't get the bonus point? What do you mean by "create the entry"?

Thank you kindly.

~ Atalla
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27111
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Generally speaking, Iron DM has always been at a bad time of year for me. I've always wanted to participate, but I've pretty much always been out of the country for one reason or another for large chunks at the beginning of the contest. This year, however, is different. This year, I'm home, and this year, I finally get the chance to compete. It'll be tough for sure, but I'm definitely looking forward to throwing down with the best DMs the site has to offer

Atalla, my reading for the bonus point would be as follows: If your adventure is designed to be an adventure for any of the characters made for this year's outplay competition, you qualify for the bonus point if the judges feel you deserve it.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Sauceror Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11800
kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman kedcoleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfist View Post
So if we were interested in posting an application, as mentioned a great idea would be to secret it, question is who to secret it to? Should we include just hvg3akaek? Or wait until all the judges get a chance to post in the intro thread and include them too?
IIRC the judges get DM permissions for the folder (and/or are Reds) so they can view any secret text.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 02:06 PM
with it, sometimes
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5141
Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn Grayn
Does the author retain all the rights to their work for this competition? Even if it makes it to later rounds and the writing is critiqued (edited) by the judges or others?

Sorry if that is answered in the rules, but I didn't see it in my first read through.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Anime boxer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara Tojara
I feel like Atala, i can't quite understand what the bonus point involves.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by McThulhu View Post
Just to be 100% sure, the rules for round zero are completely up there, right? If I were somehow ready to do my application already, I could post using those guidelines and not worry about immediate disqualification?

I'm paranoid ;_;
Round Zero is a go - get them in as soon as you have them completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfist View Post
You can secret it just to me, and when the round is closed, I will reveal all entries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
1) Are there any ingredients for round 0?
Nope - it is a simple blurb / teaser / campaign hook submission (similar to what a DM might do in the "DM seeking Players" forum).

Quote:
2) I don't get the bonus point? What do you mean by "create the entry"?
The "bonus point" is a non-tangible encouragement. It *may* improve people's opinion of your piece, but it is not guaranteed. Basically, it's something cool you could do, tying into one of the other site's competitions, but as there is no scoring in the Round Zero, the point is more abstract than actual.

"Create the entry" simply means writing up your 300-word submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayn View Post
Does the author retain all the rights to their work for this competition? Even if it makes it to later rounds and the writing is critiqued (edited) by the judges or others?
Please check out the site rules here (specifically 7. Submission of Content on this Web Site. By providing any Content to our web site: (a) you agree to grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license (including any moral rights or other necessary rights) to use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, distribute, perform, promote, archive, translate, and to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part. Such license will apply with respect to any form, media, technology known or later developed; (b) you warrant and represent that you have all legal, moral, and other rights that may be necessary to grant us with the license set forth in this Section 7; (c) you acknowledge and agree that we shall have the right (but not obligation), in our sole discretion, to refuse to publish or to remove or block access to any Content you provide at any time and for any reason, with or without notice.point seven).

Last edited by hvg3akaek; Sep 16th, 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Eldritch Burger Flipper

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the answers! With the reassurance that I'm not going to insta-disqualify myself, I'm confident enough in what I've written to post it now.

I'd say something like FIRST! But... but that'd be crude... I'd better not.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 03:07 AM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6385
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
It's Iron DM Time! Huzzah! Really have to decide whether I can handle it this year. Last year took so much out of me.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 04:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15084
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Oh no...dare I? The stadium is large. It is darkly foreboding. It is full of people eating popcorn and peanuts and waiting to pass JUDGEMENT! /shudder. But am I not a veteran of RPGX?? Have I not put forth my paltry offerings and been judged worthy by my own peers and friends who are dear yet dearly, brutally, painfully honest, as only true friends can be? Alas am I wracked with longings to test myself, yet beset by basest fears of shame and despair. Yet is this not how we grow? By striving against odds, by pitting ourselves against daunting obstacles and incredible odds?! Yes! I SHALL!! I think.