RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 21st, 2015, 03:25 PM
Mysterious Teenager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29678
Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior
There does seem to be some good names in the running this year, doesn't there? Almost makes me want to dust off the old suit and step into the ring again myself.

Alas, I will have to settle for openly criticizing the lot of you.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 03:39 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43035
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Question(s) for Chairman/Judges: I've been perusing some of the old Iron DM competitions to get a feel for the style of the contest and I've yet to run across a submission that wasn't classic medieval D&D type stuff. Is that a requirement? Or could a contestant make an entry utilizing an urban fantasy setting or, say, the Star Wars universe? Related to this, are the mechanics included required to have references directly from a Monster Manual or would providing basic stats, attacks, and abilities suffice?
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 03:44 PM
Oblivious Flame Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6385
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Dangit, hippo, you've probably jinxed me with that. My entry so far stinks in a big way.
So sorry Aethera - I am sure you'll pull through with something cool. Me? I got nothing so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
Alas, I will have to settle for openly criticizing the lot of you.
Nice work if you can get it ...

You never know the mood of the judges. RC hasn't made it past Round Zero? What?!?

My first year saw me into Round 1 and out. Last year I lost a couple rounds in, then got resurrected and made it to the where I was soundly thrashed by our current championfinals.

You do your best with the ingredients at hand and the time limits and see how it goes.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 04:01 PM
Now With Kung Fu Grip!
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7534
arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12 arin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
Question(s) for Chairman/Judges: I've been perusing some of the old Iron DM competitions to get a feel for the style of the contest and I've yet to run across a submission that wasn't classic medieval D&D type stuff. Is that a requirement? Or could a contestant make an entry utilizing an urban fantasy setting or, say, the Star Wars universe? Related to this, are the mechanics included required to have references directly from a Monster Manual or would providing basic stats, attacks, and abilities suffice?
It is ABSOLUTELY okay to include entries from other RPGs in different genres. It does get a bit tricky in later rounds, when mechanics come into play and some judges might not be familiar with the system you're working in, but that's why there's a lot of us, so that we can turn to each other and say, "Any idea if that's working like it's supposed to?"

As for including specific stats, we'll let you know on a round by round basis what's expected. Generally speaking, if you customize anything, then it's more likely you'll have to show us the data, whereas if you use a standard thing that we can look up it's enough for us to know where to look.

Last edited by arin12; Sep 21st, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 04:08 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22744
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
I've twice posted something that wasn't a generic medieval entry into this competition. It was both times my losing entry for that particular year.

The judge slate is different this time, though, so maybe my penchant for airship battles, campy B-movie horror, and science fiction will win out. Hope springs eternal.

That requires of course that I get past round zero, which means I have to post in round zero before the deadline...
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 04:18 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14929
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
I didn't do traditional fantasy for round zero, so I could already be eliminated. But, oh well, I stand by my entry. Since I've decided to run it anyways, a little bit of early exposure can't hurt.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 05:04 PM
Alea Jacta Est.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27669
Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11
mooz, Neqq - Alas, there will be no Jarl in your soup this year. Except for all those games we already play. Ahem... time has become crunchy for me on here lately, so my participation will be in silent judgery and mockery only. PM's excluded, of course.

Not to mention, I'm still studiously learning the ways of the DM Force. Would't want to show my Palpatinium hand too soon, now would I?
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 05:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13392
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
I didn't do traditional fantasy for round zero, so I could already be eliminated. But, oh well, I stand by my entry. Since I've decided to run it anyways, a little bit of early exposure can't hurt.
Likewise, my good sir. Here's to hoping one of us non-traditional folks breaks the prejudice barrier! May the best win!
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 06:45 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
All settings are fair game (even homebrew!).

The reason a generic fantasy setting is the default is it is easiest. You don't need to spend your precious word count explaining what is happening, you don't need to link to outside sources (which is frowned upon), and you don't need to risk having judges dock you points because they have no idea what you are talking about.

Of course, this is a contestant choice - going ahead with one may still be a great idea, and after the shadowrun fun of Outplay, maybe we could get something interesting happening here? Or, with Star Wars 7 coming out later this year, maybe someone feels that a SW adventure could be an ideal and unique thing to attempt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternis View Post
That requires of course that I get past round zero, which means I have to post in round zero before the deadline...
Oh yes, please do so!

Entries will definitely be open until the weekend. No guarantee that they will remain open all the way to the end of the month, though. And it's definitely not going past that.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 06:52 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37683
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Re: Can settings other than traditional medieval fantasy win in Iron DM?

Yes.

(I'm sure there are other examples, but that's the first one that popped into my mind.) For me at least, the setting matters not one iota. The game system on the other hand--well, it's not surprising that it's harder to judge the mechanics of a system you're not familiar with.

by Hugga

Last edited by ekidnu; Sep 21st, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 07:54 PM
Dinoczar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22079
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
Do we need to make it explicit with our entry one which system it's meant for? Like "A Mazes and Monsters Adventure for Characters Level 6 to 666" ?

(It's this sort of thing, and titles and such, that I fret the most over, for some reason.)
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 09:42 PM
1 Peter 2:24

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35273
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
If you feel it important, do so. If it would be ok if the judges thought it was for different level characters, or for a different system, then save your word count!

Basically, if it's a great entry, specifying such things shouldn't matter. But if you can do so simply and elegantly, why not?
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 11:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 565
Dakamin Dakamin Dakamin Dakamin Dakamin Dakamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogamodyna View Post
I really HATE being the unknown underdog with a good dozen or more well known pros above me in the mix.
Problem solved ogamodyna. I made an entry. There is no way anyone will mistake you for the unknown underdog of the group now... well, at least not for Round Zero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainfist View Post
Imagine how I feel, I'm still new enough I barely know the pros!
I wish I had been around long enough to barely know the pros...
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 11:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13392
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogamodyna View Post
I really HATE being the unknown underdog with a good dozen or more well known pros above me in the mix.
LOL! I haven't made a GM post in about a year. Very few here will have even seen a game I've run. Your name is actually know, more than you might know.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:32 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15084
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziether View Post
LOL! I haven't made a GM post in about a year. Very few here will have even seen a game I've run. Your name is actually know, more than you might know.
Well. Not aware of any of that myself hehe. I will admit that I seem to be a good luck charm lol. Been in multiple HoF games and had several co-players win all sorts of awards like PotM while playing the same adventures. I've never won anything myself but get in games with people that DO win fairly often! no rubbing of the old man's head though ;p