RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3467
Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar
"Alternate detection redundancies" I like that phrasing.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
I like liking posts.
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3307
Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi Yogge Mothi
An FYI: I will be out of town and away from a computer starting tomorrow afternoon and going until Sunday night.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Magic Missile: Darkness!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2149
Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil kearney View Post
gestalt amplifies the stereotypical "whoever draws first wins" paradigm of high level games.
That is the generally true, accepted opinion. I have come to adopt a somewhat distinct opinion, based on my experiences in the older Gestalt 20/20 Arena game. It was this.

At first, characters did focus on initiative and offensive abilities and so forth. These characters did very well at the start. However, more defensive builds then started to take over, and by the conclusion of the game, matches were between creations that basically had no way to destroy each other.

That's one reason I banned immunity to damage and Initiate of Mystra from the campaign. With those things allowed, the number of valid attacks shrinks pretty drastically. We're left with Disjunctions, really. It turned into a Contingency battle. Flagrant and frequent Disjunction spamming would be inconvenient for this campaign, as well as being somewhat silly, so I didn't want to go that route this time.

I wanted bloody, splattery kills for Olothruul's Arena, and it doesn't look like I'll be disappointed. All the players have done an outstanding job crafting creations that are cool and fun, rather than ruthlessly combing the books and forums for absolutely the strongest stuff that I've allowed in the game. No one made an Incantatrix Sorcerer with 19 LA of +CHA templates on one side, a +30 initiative modifier, throwing around Twinned Empowered Maximized Orbs of Force with a Persistent Divine Power up and a Quickened True Strike opener. "The Arena door swings open and an [i[Orb of Force[/i] the size of a treasure chest slams into you. Touch attack 46, 270 damage. OK Celerity...

Nah, the only real problem we have is our various rules errors. We're all human, and we all make them. I just hope we have enough patience to enjoy the game in spite of the frustrations involved with them.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador
BTW I need an opponent for Victel, Eviltedzies' character. Who's up?
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
i'll do it
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 488
aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 03:42 AM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3425
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
Yeah, it's true enough....

...it's not that deep, either: not enough for a Huge creature. The round might be heading for a bloody conclusion.

I guess most rounds have that sort of conclusion.
Well, if you are not going to let Freemo take advantage of his movement modes then you might as well take him off the roster, he doesn't have the raw power necessary to win a straight up fight. In fact he is running a little under 200 hp, so it requires that he be able to retreat sometimes. But hey if you want to just say piss off then by all means go for it.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide15 View Post
Well, if you are not going to let Freemo take advantage of his movement modes
how deep does he need to go to be "underground"? 15 feet? more?

Lorm: how long does a combatant need to be hiding from combat before declared forfeit?
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM

Tools
User Statistics
I'm sorry you feel that way. I designed the Arena before the matches took place, and it's designed specifically to contain the combatants and prevent interference from others. I provided fair warning of the force fields even inside the walls and floor, as well as the very secure ceiling of the area. It is not like I surprised you, or anyone else, with this: it was in the very advertisement for the campaign. As mentioned before, a creature hiding inside the environment for several minutes isn't going to make for pleasant spectating.

I get the sense that this match was not fun for you, and for that I apologize. I am really trying to do a good job with this game. I don't have endless time nor an exceptionally quick and accurate grasp on the rules, but I do my best. Per your request, I will refrain from scheduling Freemo for further matches. Having said that, in my opinion Freemo would stand a very good chance of victory in further matches, if he undertook to fight them.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil kearney View Post
how deep does he need to go to be "underground"? 15 feet? more?

Lorm: how long does a combatant need to be hiding from combat before declared forfeit?
The Maulgoth is Huge, I believe it has a space of 15' by 15'. I don't have the stats for it handy. Then again a human is 5' tall, but most would have no problem squeezing into a 1' space.

As far as hiding from combat and forfeit goes, I had not considered that before. There's probably no need in this campaign to define it so precisely. Nobody is doing the ghost thing.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 04:54 AM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3425
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
No, I don't mind this match or matches in general, but you definitely put me in with the character I was going to have the most trouble with from the get go. Also, Freemo is not dead quite yet, so...lets see where this goes.

P.S. Ithamar, Ump had best kill Freemo in the next round, or else He will be gunning for your ugly critter!

Last edited by davide15; Apr 13th, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26961
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogge Mothi View Post
An FYI: I will be out of town and away from a computer starting tomorrow afternoon and going until Sunday night.
Aaahhh...but we haven't even started yet...now I'm going to have to wait until sunday to get my chance to get slaughtered like the rest
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Tools
User Statistics
If you'd like to enter the ring with another combatant, I'm sure that could be arranged.

Any volunteers?