Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 433
Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama
3.5e BAB Question

Spending a long time away can cause you to forget a lot of the rules, and I've been away for a while. Really diving in at the deep end by getting involved in an old but much enjoyed campaign which is still ongoing!

So, a question basic enough for the Druid 14/Planar Shepherd 10 I'm creating...

No matter the class, calculating BAB always throws me off once you get to multiple attacks and/or multiple classes. In this case, both! Can anyone help me calculate what I'd have here, please? Druid at 14 is +10/+5, Planar Shepherd at 10 is +7. As well, do I drop this BAB when I wildshape (in a planar shepherd's case, into all sorts of things) or incorporate my original BAB in some way?

It's an epic level campaign, obviously, and it does incorporate those rules for these calculations. Beyond that, I'm a lost cause. Thanks!

PS: I seem to remember programs which helped you build entire character sheets, with all the details and math done, so that people like me don't need to bug smart folk like you. Does anyone know of a good one which can handle a variety of 3.5e material? Bonus points if it has an iPad app so I can switch between working on my laptop and tablet!

Last edited by Kuroyama; 03-12-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Druid at 14 is 10/5. With ten levels of planar shephard, it would be at 17/12/7, I believe.

per the SRD on alternate forms, you retain your BAB unless there is a specific case/form as an exception to the rule:

srdExcept as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 433
Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama
Belated thank you for the help, Dirk!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 850
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
If I remember correctly, after 20 HD you're supposed to use the epic progression tables, which is +1 attack bonus every odd HD and +1 on saves every even HD. This is where declared order of levels technically matters, but just straight line 14 Druid - 10 Planar Shepard should result in an attack bonus of +16/+11 (+10/+5 BAB from 14 Druid, +4 BAB from 6 Planar Shepard, +2 epic attack bonus from 4 epic levels), assuming Shepard has the same BAB progression as Druid (based on quoted numbers). Unfortunately, extra attacks only come from BAB, not from EAB, so you only have the two.

Now, 12 Druid - 8 Planar Shepard - 2 Druid - 2 Planar Shepard (the last two can be in either order) would result in a +17/+12/+7 (+9/+4 BAB from 12 Druid, +6/+1 BAB from 8 Planar Shepard, +2 EAB from 4 epic levels) because you hit +15 from BAB, giving you that third attack before you're forced into EAB.

Of course, if they decided to use a unique BAB progression for Planar Shepard (I mean, I've heard tale of classes with no BAB, so it's not impossible), than my numbers could be wrong. But if everything's correct, then you're going to want to check with your GM to see if they mind if you set a specific level progression order.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55617
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
That's true. I wasn't thinking of Epic rules.