DnD5e Why Short-Folk Don’t Build Castles - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6944
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Why Short-Folk Don’t Build Castles

Why Short-Folk Don’t Build Castles

...or...

The Seige on Castle Plum-Pudding

Game System
D&D 5e

Theme
A cast of wee-folk have their own go at the whole “Lost Dwarven Hold” plot. Say “NO” to grim dwarves who delved too deep for gold and gems. Say “YES” to funny, height-challenged halflings and gnomes who had a little too much fun and... well... things got a little out of hand!

Flavor
Dungeoneering in a pint-sized megadungeon (or a large-size normal-dungeon?); an adventure for happy-go-lucky halflings and eccentric gnomes!

Setting
Using the setting for references, pantheon, etc. but I won't necessarily be sticking to the canon laws, lore, and themes of FR in this campaign. If you want a true gallivant through the Realms, you won't find it here. Sorry!Forgotten Realms

Plot Summary
left-aligned image
Halflings are known for their hill-homes and cottages. Gnomes are known for their hollow-trees and mushroom huts. Usually when you see one of these fellows in a castle - they’re leasing space, or just visiting.

Once upon a time, they banded together to make a castle of their own - and that turned out to be a very bad idea. Named for it’s architects, Admiral Quillyn Pluck-Plum and Fruham “Graveltoes” of Clan Pudding, Castle Plum-Pudding was to be a haven of safety, community, and revelry for short-folk of all varieties. Best of all- it was designed with the sole purpose of housing halflings, gnomes, and their interests. There were labs for chemistry and gizmos, gardens for fresh vegetables and fruits, libraries for learning, groves for druidry, an apiary for fresh honey, and a great many kitchens, pubs, and diningrooms.

Times were good for a while, but soon- things got a little out of hand!

Long story short, Castle Plum-Pudding was lost to a great chaos of freak accidents and monsterous invasions. The eldest of the short folk decided that building castles was a very bad idea, and that castles just weren’t for short-folk. The founding halfling and gnomish families, and their extended families, and all their buddies, pals, and friends - went their seperate ways. Castle Plum-Pudding was considered a lost cause- and there was nothing to gain by going back to it.

That was, until Otto Pluck-Plum realized after just a few short years that he’d left behind his prized hundred-year-aged Orthin Cheese wheel! It’s literally priceless! And more importantly, it’s literally delicious!! Otto proceded to round up a bunch of eager short-folk to plumb the depths and heights of Castle Plum-Pudding for the golden wheel.

Application Information
Application
Name: Pick a name with some levity, bubbliness, or humor to it! This isn’t a super-serious, gritty campaign.
Age: Character Age - see the race section of the PHB for age ranges.
Race: Small Races only! For most, this’ll be a halfling or gnome of some sort - but I’ll accept non-evil small races from Volo’s Guide and other official locations. No Kenku though- too noisy.
Class: Any class/archetype from an official source is fine. Multi-classing too.
Alignment: Any non-evil is fine.
Background: Any in the PHB, SCAG, or other official source.
Personality Traits(2): Roll/choose on the background tables, or make one up!
Ideal: See Personality Traits.
Bond: See Personality Traits.
Flaw: See Personality Traits.
Backstory: What were your previous adventures like? Why'd Otto come to you for this?

House Rules for this Campaign

- The starting level for characters will be Level 3

- Point buy for stats (30 points, because an additional stat is involved)

- Multiclassing is allowed, but there should be some explanation in your backstory about why your character has trained in two or three classes.

- Starting Equipment provided by your Level 1 class and background. In addition, you also get 100gp to spend on extra items.

- Variant Backgrounds will be looked at in a case-by-case basis.

- A character sheet is not required to apply.

- I’m looking for 4-6 players that can post 2 to 3 times per week. If you have any questions post them here or send me a PM!

Last edited by Inuvash255; Sep 19th, 2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: missed an "o"
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Player Character Race Class Status
NightKing X X X Dropped out
Twall Fae Tinklebottom Gnome Sorceror Done
Spinrad Gullbrook Widdleshins Gnome Paladin Done
DialPforPickles Pockets Halfling Rogue/Sorceror Done
JeffKevlar X X X Dropped out
epelj1 Seraphina 'Sera' Nidal Halfling Rogue (Arcane Trickster) Done
Kaneda Shepard Typhon Quickfeet Halfling Monk Done
StarSignMaster Jeremiah Sholter Halfling Fighter Done
Jrod Brick Tikleshard Gnome Cleric (Forge) Done
SaberDad Bashful Stabby Gnome Wizard Done
Loafingstone Elm Trifle Halfling Cleric (Nature) Done
Still_Pond Blaze Turdbottom Gnome Cleric/Wizard Done
tomplum Twort Sliphips Goblin Rogue (Arcane Trickster) Done
Xalnaga Baron Harold Sparklebottom Gnome Wizard Done
lydklein Torin “Itchy Fingers" Shadowfoot Halfling Rogue Done

Last edited by Inuvash255; Oct 4th, 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Geomancer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 838
Duskers Duskers Duskers Duskers Duskers Duskers Duskers
Posting interest
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
Glad to hear it, Duskers

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Half-Orc Fighter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7140
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Posting interest
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Souleater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 144
Nightking106 Nightking106
Figured this might fit in here ;D

Name: Sir Bigglesworth Shroombeard
Race: Gnome
Class: Druid
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Hermit
Personality Traits(2): Serene and Calm(ALWAYS!), Oblivious to my surroundings often
Ideal: Spread the drugs, I mean love
Bond: Nature if you know what i mean
Flaw: Pfft flaws I'd say being too damn attractive.
Backstory: If you can call psychedelic drug trips previous adventures then Biggles has had far too many others would say, he on the other hand would say he hasn't had nearly enough. Biggles praises himself on his knowledge of plants and mushrooms for he knows the best ones to give you a great time. A connoisseur of sorts in relation to drugs he also has a fondness for cheese and given the nature of the quest he practically threw himself at the chance to retrieve a cheese of such delicacy. On another note drugs just flat out give you the munchies and anything involved with food is sure to get Sir Biggle's attention. As for adventures Biggles has slain dragons, defeated armies single handedly, and bedded over a million woman in his drug induced stupors but no one needs to know about that but him. As far as his skills go though when he wants to apply himself he can be a quite formidable gnome.

Last edited by Nightking106; Sep 19th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Stormhammer: Glad to hear it =D

@Night: Well, that's- uh- quite the character! ^^"

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2181
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
Interested! I'll post a character soon.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Space Goblin Number One

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3670
Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar Jeffkevlar
Interested. Love a lighthearted game.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Twall87 Twall87 Twall87
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1317297_md.jpg
Name: Fae Tinklebottom
Class: Sorcerer (wild magic)
Alignment: LG
Background: Guild Artisan (wood carver)
Trait: I have witty afymisms and Proverbs for every occasion!
Ideal: My talents were given to me to benefit the whole world!
Bond: I pursue wealth in order to earn someone's love!
Flaw: I'm so sweet give people diabetes. Also, he has Tourette's Syndrome.

Back Story:
One gay day in sping, Fae was just ****ing around in a field of Tulips. He was captured by a ****sucking witch, who wanted to eat him. Fae was so God **** scared he almost **** himself and all at once a huge flower popped out of the ground and ate the **** out of that mean old witch! Ever since then Fae has traveled around with his corgi Muffins spreading joy and **** to all the boys and girls! Fae can't really control his magic but he has a good attitude about it. After all, no one likes a **** *** little **** stain. Tee hee!

Last edited by Twall87; Sep 19th, 2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 806
Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded Fadonsuded
I know a gnome and a halfling who would be perfect for this! Shame they aren't mine. Great for inspiration though!
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3414
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Name: Gullbrook Widdleshins
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Knight of the Order - Gullbrook is a sworn Solemn Protector of the Order of the Tulip
Personality Traits: I'm always polite and respectful; I can stare down a hellhound without flinching
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others; Responsibility. I do what I must and obey just authority.
Bond: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for; I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Flaw: I obey the law, even if the law causes misery; I’d rather eat my armor than admit when I’m wrong.
Backstory: A proven and honorable, if stubborn and somewhat stiff, knight of the old style, Gullbrook Widdleshins was a trusted comrade-in-arms to Otto before leaving on his quest. It has been many long years, and Gullbrook returns as one of a small handful of Knights of the Order of the Tulip, a dwindling knighted order charged with protecting the sprawling manors of the Shires and the lands of the kingdoms of antiquity. Gullbrook has spent the past thirteen years at war with the Kobold Insurrection, a loose rebellion of goblins, kobolds and some vagrant trolls, at the Southern Reach. While victorious, mostly, security came at a high cost and Gullbrook Widdleshins rose through the ranks as much through vacancy as through valor as his superiors fell in battle.

Gullbrook returns to Gnomehome, his proud armor and banner scarred by numerous campaigns and misadventures, survived as much by luck as by skill (for example, his run-in with the Bonenose Bomber Brigade in Narrowchasm and subsequent escape from the ensuing avalanche; a skin-of-the-teeth evasion of the goblin shaman Skinkfinger in the Innsbaad Caverns; and the ill-fated Siege of Triple Tower Hold from which the Order emerged victorious atop armored chickens to defeat the goblin wyvern-riders and troll stone-chuckers). In spite of his memories of war, Gullbrook is dedicated to the ideals of chivalry and the order of law.

Last edited by Spinrad; Sep 19th, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
@Fadon: Cheeky! I might actually be a bit inspired by that particular duo! xD

@Dial, @Jeff, @Spinrad: Awesome!

Last edited by Inuvash255; Sep 19th, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Yankee in the UK

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Awwww, I'm touched (for those following along at home: Fadon and I are in Inuvash's Curse of Strahd, which has a hobbit (me) and a gnome (mountainbound)). And it sounds fun, but I have enough games, and enough hobbitses.

But for any potential applicants, I am greatly enjoying inuvashes dming in Curse of Strahd, so I'd recommend you go for it!
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1
I have a halfling I've recycled a few different times that would fit this perfectly, I think. I'll read through some old posts and get an app thrown together.