Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Roleplaying Experiences
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4030
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
The Award For Worst Gaming Experience Goes To...

What is your flat-out, no question, absolute worst gaming experience?

For me, it was about a year and a half ago, in February of 2018. I live in a college town with one small hobby shop, an independent-type without much in the way of flash, but because of the college, there were always plenty of twenty-somethings coming in and out for cards, games, drones, whatever. Among them were any number of prospective tabletop gamers, eager to take to the world of RPGs on a wing and a prayer-- so long as they had an apt guide. As a twenty-something myself, I don't mind being honest-- there's plenty of earnestness and little in the way of commitment.

So I, along with a couple of others, volunteered to begin running introductory games for new players to systems like D&D5e, Pathfinder, and the occasional Shadowrun. Nothing super involved like full adventures, but usually a zero session for character gen followed by a quick one-shot that could be handled in a couple of hours. My first two groups were great, involved and interested, and they took to 5e (my most familiar system) like bronze dragons to water. The third group, though...

We'd run our zero-session the week before, generating complete, if basic, characters: a rogue, a paladin, a fighter, a wizard, and a sorcerer. These more or less seemed to fit them as people as well; Rogue was handsome and charismatic, Fighter said she was a rugby player, Paladin had been chosen his class because he'd been a chaplain in the army (the oldest of our group), and Wizard and Sorcerer were actually a couple, a man pursuing his master's in education and a woman who was pursuing a graphic design degree. All of them went to the local university, all of them had luckily known or shared a few words before our group was put together, and all of them seemed to like each other-- with one notable exception. Sorcerer seemed to HATE Rogue.

At first it seemed they just rubbed each other the wrong way. Rogue was charming and witty with everybody, but gave Sorcerer a wide berth, and Sorcerer returned the sentiment by basically icing him out. As the night went on, it slowly got worse, though; there came a point toward the end of the session when Sorcerer was growing to be almost antagonistic, both in-game and without, pointing out everything Rogue did wrong from mistakes as a player to stereotypes of his character (again, just sort of a basic street-rat rogue). I called an early end to the session at an organic point in the story and resolved to speak with both of them before we continued the next night, but Sorcerer stormed out almost immediately, with a very confused Wizard on her heels, so I caught up with Rogue while he was gathering his things and asked him what the issue was. Rogue said some noncommittal stuff about a falling out in their friend group, told me it was probably his fault and he'd try to talk to her. I asked him if he was willing to continue with her in the group, as I could shuffle him or Wizard and Sorcerer into a different group if needed, but he said he didn't want to put them out and that he only had certain nights free due to work, so he'd rather continue as things were. "We only have one more session left as a group anyway," he reasoned, and I acquiesced. What was the worst that could happen?

The next night, Rogue arrived early with Paladin and stuck to the guy like Sovereign Glue. He almost seemed nervous, chatting with me while I set up, glancing back at the front door every now and then. Paladin told him to relax, that he seemed jumpy, but Rogue waved it off, and Paladin went with me to the register to buy a miniature of his character that he'd taken a shine to. It was then, talking to Paladin and Store Owner, that I heard the front door open; I didn't think much of it until I heard Rogue say, "Now Wizard, just hang on, we can talk about this like adults--"

And as I looked up, Wizard drove his fist into Rogue's jaw, putting the guy on the ground before anybody could do anything. A crying Sorcerer ran in right then, saying something like she hadn't meant for this to happen, it was just a mistake, and Paladin and I ran over to grab Wizard before he could do anymore damage. Rogue got up, rubbed his jaw, and had the grace to walk out with Store Owner; honestly, he didn't even look surprised or necessarily upset. Paladin and I got Wizard into the backroom so he wouldn't disrupt things any more than he already had, while Sorcerer, still sobbing, came with. Between the two of them, the story finally came out: Sorcerer and Wizard had been together for about a year, and for three of those months, Sorcerer had been sleeping with Rogue. Sorcerer had apparently gotten completely blitzed after our session and finally told Wizard the truth, and this had been the outcome. Her anger at Rogue during the session had been because she'd begged him to just join another group or stop coming altogether, but he'd refused saying it wasn't as big a deal as she was making it.

I haven't seen Rogue or Sorcerer since then, but Paladin still comes semi-regularly, and Wizard actually came in the other day to discuss the possibility of his returning so long as he didn't cause any trouble, and Store Owner agreed on a sort of probational basis; Wizard will be joining my next introductory group, and if I have any problems, he'll be banned from the store, but I think he'll be fine.

Tl;dr: I once ran an intro game for a group of new characters, and it resulted in an assault after one player found out his girlfriend, also a player, was cheating on him with another man, who was also a player.

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 10-24-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10454
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies

The lesson here kids is that role playing games are just that, games, and real life drama should not be brought into said games. DM's and players should make clear if there are boundaries that need to be drawn so that both sides can game together in a fair and equal understanding of what is accepted. This way everyone can focus on having fun!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:44 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Wow, that really went sideways. There are a weird number of layers to the cascading failure of this session, lol. Good story.

Last edited by ParzivalFair; 11-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies
It definitely had its down points; although to be fair, there were a few thoroughly entertaining moments from that campaign that I would put in my top 20 or so most fun role playing moments.

Ex: Never give your players a box of pot laced Twinkies blessed by Loki God of Tricksters and expect the only thing to happen is for the players to get high as a kite of them. Nope...... ended up chucking that box taped to a fire extinguisher into the mouth of a giant snake servant of Apophis before our gun toting scion of chaos happily quoted. "Smile you son of a b****" and proceeded to blow up the canister. That poor snake died of probably the best overdoes of pot laced twinkies known to god kind.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:32 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
I have so many questions, lol. Can you even overdose on that?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltedzies
box of pot laced Twinkies blessed by Loki God of Tricksters
You tell me how potent drugs would be if a god blessed them? How about if that was a god of tricksters?
Old Today, 02:29 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3485
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
Tl;dr: I once ran an intro game for a group of new characters, and it resulted in an assault after one player found out his girlfriend, also a player, was cheating on him with another man, who was also a player.
I have a question: did Sorcerer multiclass into Vengeance Paladin?

Unfortunately for me, I've only had the privilege of being in like 3 RL gaming groups and they were all fine. My longest one is a group formed from college where we have one player (female) who gets so distracted by the most inane things, wants to control every single animal in sight (especially those that are out to eat us) and derails the campaign sometimes, but at least it unites the others in driving the train back on the right track.

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Today at 02:30 AM.