RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Heroes through the Eras
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
S1E1: Trial by Fire

Virtue Grand, 10/16/1976, 6:45 PM
left-aligned image
"Good evening Chicago, this is Maria Seila with CBS news Chicago, broadcasting live at Virtue Grand's annual fundraising festival, and as you can see behind me, it is as busy as ever, despite the recent events occurring throughout the city. Several officials expressed concern that the glowing lights several weeks ago, which experts are calling a "freak aurora display", would result in a lower turnout this year, but perhaps as a testament to Chicago's tenacious occupants, the festival is doing wonderfully. It is too early to say for sure, but Principal Eric Green spoke to me earlier in an interview, saying that if this keeps up, this will perhaps be the most successful fundraiser in Virtue Grand's admittedly short history."

"Every carnival ride has at least a ten minute wait to get on, the game tents are stuffed with paying customers looking to test their luck and skill, and a few of the food stalls are already running out of some things, and the festival still has several hours to go. Even the security, which was augmented heavily in response to the unverified reports of "abnormals" in the city, are stretched to their limits. Having reported on this event last year, I can personally vouch for just how impressive this crowd is, and Mr. Green is already taking suggestions from parents on how to spend the surplus, saying, and I quote, 'this school belongs as much to me as it does the students that walk the halls. If today is as successful as it seems to be, then there will no doubt be an impressive amount of money left over once we have paid all the bills, and I would like to turn that money around and give it back to the community.' As a mother of such a student myself, hearing that my daughter is in the hands of such a caring individual takes a great weight of my mind. This has been Maria Seila with the 6 o'clock news."

Last edited by darthcharon; 01-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
"A fin!" cheers a relieved Miguel once his turn for the roller coaster comes. It was a shorter wait than earlier today but still far too long for the scrawny but eager fourth-grader. The rush of these rides was always a thrill to him every year, even if the speed seemed less impressive lately. His tan face is still stretched with the grin from the generous allowance his parents gave him for the rides. His grades had been doing better, and they must be thinking he should have some normal fun with all the recent "changes" he had been getting used to. That and the line was shorter because it was just after dinner. Sure, he had enjoyed a bunch of hot dogs and candy with most of the other kids, but very few had the stomach to hit up the rides just after, another perk he was grateful for.

Practically jumping into his coaster cart, Miguel flexes his shoulders trying to get a crick out of them ... and the wings squished inside his coat, the most obvious feature of the strange miracle that happened to him. His mama says they make him look adorable. 'Like a cherub,' he thinks with a pout. He made sure to dress a little extra to keep them covered, even if the chilly air didn't bother him the same way it used to. He pulls the bar down in his cart, a little too eagerly if the metallic groan is any sign. The ride starts up, and he signs the cross on himself, like his mama always drilled in him. As the ride crest the first hill, Miguel cheers with delight before the plunge.
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Dinoczar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22074
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
The thing about rides is this: They're fun, right? But they're for kids, right? So you can't look like you really want to ride the roller coaster, not unless you want to look like just another little kid. Sixteen is pretty much an adult, so you need to be dignified. Lots of sighs, and talking loudly about just how stupid this ride looks and not even a little bit scary, and the only point of riding is to show how stupid it really is.

Christopher's not fooling anyone, least of all himself. His heart isn't in it, and in any case the people around him are too busy having genuine fun. While he? He worries. Worries about something strange happening, worries about being revealed as some kind of freak, worries that his parents must suspect something, worries that....

A deep breath. A shudder. A glance around, to assure himself that no, no one is staring or pointing at him.

As he finally boards the coaster, and entirely despite himself, Christoper is at last beginning to relax.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2165
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield
Kat sits alone on a bench, people-watching. It is probably her favorite activity, and had become even more so now that she could be anyone she wants. With that ability, it helps to know what a lot of people look like. Not that she had to copy a particular person. She could make up features. But if she didn't see a lot of variety, then she wouldn't be able to be a lot of variety.

Not that she had any money anyway. Despite mentioning it to her several times over the last week, mom hadn't left her any money, or showed any interest in coming herself. So she couldn't go on the rides or play any of the games. She briefly thought about pick-pocketing someone, so that she could have a little fun, but she couldn't bring herself to ruin someone else's time, when she is actually kinda content to just watch.

Instead, she sees someone dump a half-eaten hot dog on top of the overflowing garbage can. Once the person has walked away, she glances around and nabs it, checking it for anything gross before chowing down. Wouldn't be the first time. Her friends take her dumpster-diving behind the grocery stores and restaurants every now and then. It's amazing the stuff that just gets thrown out.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8413
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Steven worked in his art room, almost dancing with the violence of his strokes. The wall was exploding with color, and from a few steps away it looked like someone had frozen a fireworks display. Steven barely looked at his color pallet, instead letting his eyes rove over the wall. If anyone were to walk in, they might notice that anywhere his eyes touched, the colors seemed to shift or swirl slightly. Most times it was merely an affect of his will, not truly a change to the colors, but once in a while a color would sharpen or pale, minute adjustments to the wall-sized mural.

When he was finally satisfied, he set his paints down and looked at his mural. Whatever happened to me, it has been a great boon to my art. He smiles hugely then waves his hand and the colors all change. At first they are random then he pulls deliberate colors out. Finally the colors shift in a wave, firs through red, then returning to the original colors. I think I finally mastered that one. He walks up and lightly touches the wall. The wall was slightly warm and the paint was completely dry. He smiled, Yes, very good. Stepping back he holds his hand up and a ball of yellow appears, for a moment his looks like a glob of paint before it appears to sparkle and evaporate. I don't think that color is quite right, I feel like it should do more, not to mention it doesn't resonate correctly. Steven frowns at the yellow for a few more moments before dismissing it. He then creates a cube of solid blue. Steven taps it all over looking for any weak points before smiling again. Yes! Completely solid this time, that is the right way to make that one. Now for the real test... Walking over to the solid oak desk, green begins to slowly encase his arms and legs. Steven squats under the desk, braces his hand underneath it and lifts. The desk comes up completely and Steven smiles and laughs out loud, Now this will come in handy. His eyes catch the clock across the room and he nearly drops the desk, Oh crap! Setting it down he rushes up stairs and quickly changes out of his painting clothing and throws on his nice clothes he had had Stephanie set out for him.

Rushing back downstairs, Steven reaches for the phone to call his driver, but pauses. I bet I could get there on my own. His grin grows and he walks into the back yard. Tilting his face up to the sun, he takes a few slow breaths, attuning himself with the light. With a minor ripple of the air, Steven fades completely from view. He walks around the house and onto the road, taking a few quick breaths he leans forward and his whole body tingles as it is transformed into light. The world becomes a blur of colors around him and he darts between the vehicles on the road. He knows from his own testing that he reaches around 100MPH when he goes all out, and at those speeds he is at the fair in only a couple minutes. Taking the long way around and entering from the rear, Steven slows down in the woods that border the fair. Focusing on his light splitting to ensure he remains completely invisible, Steven approaches the tent he would be working at. He can see there are some people already lined up for the hand drawn portraits he had agreed to do, and one of the teachers is trying to placate the crowd. Stepping up around a corner of the tent and letting the light roll over him. "I'm here Mr. Rufus, sorry for the delay." The teacher does a double take before sending in the first person. In the distance, Steven can hear the roller coaster running. As the first person sits down and tells Steven what they want, He grabs a soft pencil he lightly sketches an outline, Maybe I can finally figure out what Orange does....I know I have it right....but it doesn't seem to do anything....

Last edited by Scimmy; 01-12-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52340
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
"Did that girl just eat a hot dog out of the trash can? Omigod, that's so gross!"

Tori turned her head to see what Angie was talking about. She didn't see the trash can bit, but she saw the girl, a year younger than them, chowing away at a hot dog. She thought she recognized the girl, though they didn't share classes. "Did she really?"

"Totally. So weird." Tori smiled and shook her head; so judgmental, Angie. One of the things she loved about Angela: she was so raw. Whenever Tori was practicing for girl's track, Angie was there to tell her that her pole-vaulting technique was off. Whenever she was putting an outfit together, Angie gave it to her real. Whenever Tori sang something lame, Angie told her so. But then, Angie's taste in music was disgustingly disco. She didn't appreciate a good guitar. She didn't appreciate a good voice, just a good groove line. Not that Tori didn't like a good funky bass, but she was more soulful, more appreciative of technique. And she might have a crush on Lindsey Buckingham. Ok, and Stevie Nicks, but not like that. She had a voice like an angel; one of the few things Tori lacked, as a musician. No voice.

They had come, as they had in the short few years before, together, just to have fun. Tori would normally go to fairs and carnivals with her family, but of late, they had been too busy, doing this or that. Her sisters still in school were off with their friends, doing "cool" things. Probably kissing or smoking or whatever the fad was. Only occasionally would they even associate with Tori, especially since she started her new school, and rarely outside the confines of home; they let her stay up to watch the Midnight Special sometimes, which she loved.

She was still staring at the girl with the hot dog when she realized Angie was a few steps ahead. "Omigosh, is that Christopher Cresswell!?"

Drawing her out of her stare, Tori caught up to her friend, following her gaze. In line to get on the roller coaster, there he was. Angie had done nothing for the last week but go on and on about how cute he was. Tori, personally, wasn't so sure what she so obsessed with, but oh well. "I, I think so?"

"We have to get on that ride, come on!" Tori hated roller coasters. "But I don'tó" Her friend grabbed her by the arm and pulled Tori in spite of failed protests. "SHUT UP AND COME ON!"

They were a few spots in line behind him, behind some bouncing boy in a jacket. "He's just.... sooo mature. Dignified." Tori watched the back of Christopher's head, his shoulders too tight, his stance almost like he was trying a little too hard. "More like he has a stick up hisó" She pauses, realizing the bouncing boy in front of her might hear her. "óbutt. I really don't get this, Angie."

"Well, you wouldn't, because you're just too immature. Probably because you're Asian. You just don't got the fire."

Tori blushed instantly. Angie still had no idea. How could she even begin to tell her? Oh hey, I can turn into fire and shoot fire out of my hands. Your best friend, the freak of nature! As if that weren't already true enough.

The line moved, letting people on and on and on. At last, it was their turn. Tori moved in behind Angie, but her friend was already too quick, and hopped in the roller coaster seat beside Christopher. Abandoned, by her best friend! Angie turned back and mouthed "Sorry" to Tori before she pulled down the cross guard. "Hi, I'm Angie, you don't know me, but I've seen you around, and roller coasters are totally scary and I don't know why I'm here and I was wondering if I could hold your hand, is that ok?" Tori laughed, in spite of herself.

Taking the last spot, behind the boy in the jacket, Tori pulled herself in, as the boy circumflexed. A religious type. Good thing, too. The boy looked like an angel. "Uh... hi. I'm, uh, I'm going to be screaming. Just so you know. It's going to be loud." Almost as if on cue, the thing started moving. She closed her eyes and instantly switched to Japanese, praying to the gods and Buddha and whatever spirits inhabited this infernal device.

And then, she screamed.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Virtue Grand 10/16/1976 6:55Everyone is enjoying themselves too much to notice the handful of thuggish individuals enter, dispersing themselves silently through the crowd. A few members of the security spot them, but until they do something wrong the best they can do is keep an eye on them, a task that is nearly impossible given how overburdened they already are. Reluctantly, they are forced to move on and hope that the individuals aren't here to cause trouble. A false hope.

A few minutes later, Principal Green steps up to the stage, grabs the microphone, and begins speaking to the crowd. "Can I have all of your attentions please. Firstly, I want to thank you all for coming today. Students, parents, teachers, and alumni. Thank you for making this fundraiser the most successful one yet. Virtue Grand has been voted the best school in the country six years running, and with your help, this year will make seven! Every year our school churns out hundreds of bright and successful students, ready to take their place among the world's best and brightest. But every year we have a few individuals who stand tall even among giants, those whose marks of excellence stand out above others. These are the individuals that will not only change the world, but shape it, revolutionize it. These are the Newtons, the Gallieos, the Da Vincis of our time. I have such an individual I would like you all to meet, one who is only fourteen years old yet will be graduating with a perfect 4.0 this year. May I introduce you all to Michael Thomas!"

A heavyset boy climbs up to the podium, carrying a rather bulky device, as the audience applauds him fervently. Unnoticed, the thuggish individuals begin to congregate near the front of the crowd as the boy places the device on the ground. Taking the microphone from the principal, the portly boy turns towards the crowd and smiles. "My gratitude, fellow students and festival revelers. It is an honor to be counted among the most gifted in an institution famous for it's gifted. Principal Green has put many accolades at my feet, has sung my name among the highest of praises. Today, I would like to prove him right, and prove myself worthy of his regard. I present to you today, an object of my own creation. funded by last year's excess fundraising money. In a sense, that makes you all my investors, and today I return that investment a hundred fold. Behold, the quantum-"

He does not have an opportunity to finish before the thuggish individuals rush up the stage, brandishing gun. Before anyone has time to so much as think, one of them is holding a gun to the principal's head, another is attempting to throw the panicked boy over his shoulder, and a third has picked up the device! A fourth picks up the dropped microphone, and turns towards the suddenly panicked crowd. "Attention everyone. We are taking the principal, the boy, and the device. Everyone else is expendable. You all now have ten seconds to run before I start firing into the crowd." The audience, already panicked, becomes outright hysterical, running in any direction that will get them away from the crowd, forming a veritable tide of bodies. Off in the distance, you can see a few members of security radioing for backup and trying to intercept the thugs, but the crowd is simply to thick, and they are very nearly carried away by the fleeing civilians. It doesn't look like anyone else will be able to get to the criminals in time!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
After the thrill of the roller coasters, Miguel gathered with the crowd before the stage, curious what the principal would be presenting. He certainly wasn't expecting the terrible turn of events.

Were Miguel some seasoned hero, he might have taken a moment to strategize and consider a plan. Instead, he is a boy with superpowers who just saw the bad guys show up, playing bullies with that Michael kid and the principal. He hates bullies. Without a further thought, he darts through the crowd with preternatural speed, stopping by the principal. Miguel grabs at the gunman to lift him overhead, shouting "You leave them alone!"
ActionsMove: rush up on stage next to Principal Green (up to 100')
Standard: grab & grapple gunman thug (with All-Out Attack)
Dice Grab, grapple:
d20+1+1 (8)+1+1 Total = 10
d20+1+1+7+2 (11)+1+1+7+2 Total = 22

"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Old 01-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield
Old 01-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image

Moments before the thugs rush the stage, a young blonde woman stands up at the edge of the audience, suddenly yelling "Gun! He's got a gun!" This hopefully sets off the panic early so the targets can move out of the way.

Then she runs toward the stage, hoping to get there at the same time as the thugs. She doesn't know what she'll do once there, but there's not really time to plan.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Dinoczar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22074
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
Run! Yes, run! Runrunrunrun.... Christopher turns, gets two, three steps away from the stage before he feels the hand gripping his shoulder. He doesn't have to look to know that there's no arm attached to it.

Another hand settles on his other shoulder, and the two gently, but firmly, turn him around.

"Okay," he says aloud, "Okay. Right. S...sure" The screaming, panicking crowd pays him no mind, as he struggles to keep his feet. The hands hold him up, though..and is that a third hand, a fourth, pushing people aside? Christopher blinks, decides that he's seeing thing, takes a slow, shuddering breath.

"Okay, I...I can do this." Slowly, he begins to move through the crowd. The hand on his left shoulder squeezes once, reassuringly, and then the pressure is gone.

Last edited by Rolzup; 01-18-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52340
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
The ride concluded, the girls separated, giggled and enjoyed themselves, partaking of some minor festive food before the call to listen. "Ugh, Principal Green is such a suck-up to all these rich people." Tori semi-glared at her friend, not exactly free of that title. "That's rich, coming from you." Angie stuck her tongue out, and the two listened, as their classmate, the genius-level Michael Thomas, already ahead a few grades, gave a speech. Angie said something, but Tori tuned her out. Her interest in science made her actually care a bit. Quantum...? That sounded interesting. Very interesting, in fact.

Then it happened: they grabbed him, Principal Green, and declared this place the site of a future massacre, if no one was swift enough. Her mouth hung open, her heart falling to her stomach. This was wrong. So very wrong. Someone had to do something, and with the crowd moving so fast... she didn't think. Her mother's voice came to mind, her father's chastising. Never do something stupid, never put yourself in harm's way. Well, if not her, then who? With the crowd screaming, she heard Angie calling her name, looking around, but Tori was too busy weathering the storm of bodies, the rush of the crowd, to respond, or care a terrible lot. She could do something. She understood why Amaterasu had blessed her.

She could see others moving, too. The jacketed boy, so close to the stage. Some rock'n roller chick. Somewhere ahead of her, Christopher. When, at last, she clears the crowd, she concentrates, running, and begins to burn. "Moyasu." Eyes lit up, the fire spreads from mouth and hands across the rest of her body. She never stops running. Michael, Principal, quantum device. Right, order.

And try not to get shot.

Last edited by Sassafrass; 01-19-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8413
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Steven was having a great time. In the distance, the sounds of screaming from the roller coaster came to him like a distant memory. His hands flashed over the canvas, layering colors in an intricate dance that resulted in a picture of a boy with exaggerated muscles, bench pressing an idealized version of his lady friend. He smiles to himself as he makes the last strokes, Such a strange thing, him posturing as he does. Steven had seen more and more of that since he had skipped a few grades. The older kids seemed to be be looking at the opposite sex more and more often, and it was strange and confusing to Steven. Making a show of fanning the finished painting, Steven very carefully drew a little red over the painting to make it dry a little quicker, then finished by placing a blue lacquer over it to protect the picture. Tapping it twice it turned transparent, and the finished product was now protected. Steven smirks, That picture will out last his time with that girl if her body language is any indication. Setting the picture aside for the boy's return. Then he waited for the next person. That was when he noticed the crowds moving toward the stage. Ah that's right the "big reveal" the principal promised. Grabbing his sketch book, Steven began walking toward the stage as he doodled.

With everyone focused on the stage, Steven couldn't help but play with his colors some more, Let's see if I can figure this orange out. But before he could form the color things spiraled out of control. There were men attempting to abduct Michael and his invention, while another threatened to start firing on the crowd. Steven didn't even pause to consider his options, he turned and moved with the crowd, trying to get back to his tent and completely missing the other students that ran forward to intercede.. He makes it there and begins throwing his stuff into his carry bag. Get away and hide. They can't hurt me if they are preoccupied with others. And there were plenty of other targets. As he thinks this he momentarily feels a pang of shame. Maybe...maybe I should try and do something...my therapist has been preaching that I need to be more assertive... Shaking his head he stuffs the last sketchbook into his bag and turns to walk out the back of his tent fading from view. He gets ready to race away but pauses. This is stupid...just go home, there is no reason to stay when I can get away.... But growling to himself he moves toward the stage invisibly. I'll just go and watch, then I can help identify any that get away, I'm not getting involved. He keeps a good 20ft between him and the stage, but then hunkers down to watch. That is Tori, and there is Christopher, and that is Miguel...do they have special abilities too? If he weren't invisible, you might see a faint tinge of blue on his finger tips. Only if they really starts shooting...and if the others can't handle it.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
The blond girl's warning is met initially with nothing but confusion, but the action does force the thug's hands, as they draw their weapons and fire them into the air to frighten the crowd. It has the desired effect, and the crowd immediately begins scattering. By the time they get to the stage, the crowd is already in full retreat, while the principal is desperately trying to lead the small boy away from the stage, but an old man and a small child are hardly a match for three surprisingly athletic men, and they quickly over take them before they make it off the stage.

They quickly begin a obviously planned escape when Miguel rushes the stage at surprising speed. His attack is clumsy, however, and the thug easily steps aside. "Beat it kid," the man intimidate
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
growls at Miguel, unaware of how close he just came to being caught in a vice grip, "playing hero's a good way to get shot."

OOCThe thugs still only see a handful of children, and are apparently (but understandably) reluctant to shoot children. That will probably change as soon as they realize you're powered, but since Miguel missed with his attack, they have no idea right now what they're up against . They use their turn backing away with their prisoners, except the one holding the principal, who pauses long enough to ensure his gun and intimidation attempt is keeping Miguel at bay. I assume, however, that it wont .

Also, do you guys think I should make a map for these battles? I find that with M&M, battles tend to be much less positionally relevant than D&D what with all the super speed, flying snipers going around, but I could definitely make a battle map if you guys think it would help.