RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Heroes through the Eras
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 20,026
"And stay down," the winged boy declares with a snort.

The rush of heat and screams quails the boy. He gazes on the horrifying scene, scarcely able to watch but unable to look away either. Rough as his neighborhood is, he's never heard that kind of agony of immolation before. The desperate cry, the smell of burning flesh, it's like a scene out of hell that the padre described in his sermon.

It isn't until the woman moves to help the man that Miguel is shaken from his shock. He runs through his panicky head the fire safety lesson they had last week in class. 'No bucket of water, no extinguisher, no blanket.' "Stop, drop, and roll!" The goon already did two out of three. He rushes toward the goon and lets his sword fade back up his arms. Heedless of the flames licking at him impotently, Miguel tries to roll the (mercifully unconscious) man back and forth to help put him out. So absorbed, the boy doesn't notice the crack of a second gunshot.
ActionsMove: up to flaming thug
Free: switch magic array from sword back to Super-Strength: effective 30, 1600 pounds max overhead
Standard: help put out the flaming thug by rolling him
Dice Toughness save vs fire:
d20+7 (15)+7 Total = 22

 
__________________
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"

Last edited by dbaque; 02-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
darthcharon's Avatar
darthcharon darthcharon is offline
Lord of the Dork Side
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-19-2018
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Posts: 7,182
Principal Green quickly recovers from his surprise at the flaming goon, and swiftly tears off his jacket, while Miguel tries to roll the flames out. By the time the shapeshifter gets the jacket, Miguel has put out most of the fire, and the jacket is able to smolder the remainder. All in all, the scene seems to be mostly calming down, and all that is left is to put out the fires. Just in time to be too late, the security finally arrives, rushing towards the stage, weapons drawn. The principal looks at you all, then nods. "Run. I'll take care of things here. And thank you."

Steven, however, is in a different situation. As the gunman flees with the device, he is torn between chasing after him or saving a life. But then he realizes that is no choice at all, and he turns his back on the fleeing coward to create a bandage around the wounded girl, then rushing to find help for her. He doesn't need to go far before he spots the crowd, now being pushed out of the festival by security. One of the officers turns as he hears Steven approach, and quickly moves to take the girl. "I'll take her to the ambulance," he assures him, "Now get to safety!"
__________________
Holidays and my new overnights schedule are still taking a toll on me and my post rate, and will probably continue to do so until some time after the new year. Please bear with me until then!

Last edited by darthcharon; 02-12-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Eris Renfield's Avatar
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2015
RPXP: 2165
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield
Posts: 1,965
right-aligned image
She looks at the principal, then at the burnt thug on the ground. She has information. Someone should know what she knows... But as security shows up, the actual cops surely aren't far behind. Meeting the principal's gaze, she says "I'll come see you. Soon. We need to talk." With that, she takes off, soon disappearing into a tarp-covered booth, changing into the form of a random kid and sneaking out the back of the booth.

NameInitToughFortRefWillDefenseFlatNotes
Kat Bridges+7+0+3+9+5+4+4Morphed
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 20,026
Just glad to help, Miguel grins at the principal. "You're welcome, sir!" Quickly tying his jacket around his waist, the winged boy zips to the older boy with the ghost hands and the girl on fire. Grabbing a tight hold of Christopher's arm and Tori's uninjured
Dice Toughness save vs fire aura:
d20+7sh18 (5)+7 Total = 12
arm, "Ow!" shaking his hand out. The burn already healing like new, he focuses & grabs
Dice Toughness save again vs fire aura:
d20+7sh18 (9)+7 Total = 16
again. It singes a little less, and it heals just as quickly. "I can zip us out quick, just not nearly as fun as a roller-coaster," remembering the girl's excited screams earlier. "Ma'am, do you want ... Huh, where is she?" looking for Kat in confusion. Shrugging, "Oh well, let's go. There's that third goon still missing." Without further preface (or giving his cargo much chance to decline), he running at 40 MPH or 400'/rdspeeds off with the two in tow. Down he runs where they saw the goon escape,
Dice Notice:
d20+4 (15)+4 Total = 19
glancing around for sign of him.
 
__________________
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"

Last edited by dbaque; 02-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is online now
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 8263
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,226
Steven breaths a sigh of relief as he gets the girl into better hands than his own. All the things I can do, and I was almost useless in helping her. He makes a tiny fist as he starts to move back toward the stage and glances down. There on the ground, just outside a tent is a spot of blood, almost invisible. Like it didn't even happen. That girl will remember this forever, but already the ground soaks it up. He stares at the spot and his eyes relax, tears starting to well up at his frustrations and the stresses of things finally threatening to overwhelm him. Why did I even try? I just got someone hurt and then had to find help AND let the runner get away. Before the tears can start to leak out he notices something strange.

As his eyes relax there is a strange shimmer about things. It's stronger around lights and people, even his foot prints are almost visible. His analytic mind takes over quickly and he focuses on relaxing his eyes further. At first nothing happens, then in a rush he feels his eyes widen and the light becomes intensely bright, but suddenly the faint shimmers stand out sharply. Anyone that saw him would note that his pupils seemed to expand until there was no iris left visible. Looking at his hand in wonder, Steven notes the shimmer has resolved into an aura of sorts, and with a quick look around at his surroundings, he leaps to the conclusion that he is seeing heat, literally layering the infrared over his regular vision...but there was something more there. When he looked at people he saw flecks and flashes and streaks of colors in their heat auras that felt different. Shaking himself an idea suddenly occurs to him. Analyze later, look at your feet. Lifting first one and then the other, he sees heat impressions in the ground from his feet. In fact everywhere there are fading heat impressions from the masses that had moved through here, most were faded to anything, but his were still clear, the place where the girls body lay...Notice - 17 (I think that's the right skill)Where are the tracks of the runner?. Picking out the tracks that must be the runners, Steven once more splits the light around him and dashes off at super-human speed, little more than a gust of wind moving through the crowds.

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Rolzup's Avatar
Rolzup Rolzup is offline
Dinoczar
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-10-2018
RPXP: 22074
Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup Rolzup
Posts: 5,200
Christopher staggers, torn between staring at the Miguel's wings, Tori's flames, or at his own feet. Having little choice if he wants to avoid falling, he settles on the latter, occasionally throwing wondering glances at the other two.

"What...the...hell...?" he pants, "How...when...did...you guys?"
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Eris Renfield's Avatar
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2015
RPXP: 2165
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield
Posts: 1,965
From a hiding place, the shapeshifter watches the others speed off, and shakes her head. Too obvious. Based on what she knows, they are still in trouble, and had no idea. But they are going too fast for her to catch up and tell them. She needs to talk to the principal, like now. He seemed to know what to do, and he probably had their home phone numbers. He might be able to warn them. But he was dealing with what just happened. Maybe she could approach him as someone he knows... the vice principal, maybe...

Turning back, she heads toward the stage again, stopping in a tent to take the form of the vice principal.

Dice Disguise:
1d20+13 (3)+13 Total = 16
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-14-2015, 09:25 PM
darthcharon's Avatar
darthcharon darthcharon is offline
Lord of the Dork Side
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-19-2018
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Posts: 7,182
Vice principal Marie Scholap is an attractive, young woman, which led to many early accusations that she was given the position for her looks alone. However, her detractors were swiftly silenced when they saw her take complete control of her position. Meticulous and exacting, Marie prides herself on her accuracy and dedication, and holds herself and her students to the highest of standards. She is strict and harsh, but never unfair. She is a troublemaker's worst enemy, which makes her friend of all those who behave themselves.

It is this form that "the hotdog girl" takes after leaving the tent, but while physical features are easy to replicate for the shapeshifter, personality and presence are more difficult to imitate. That, coupled with her unfamiliarity with Marie's more womanly figure, and inexperience in high heels, leaves her looking as awkward as she suddenly feels. Fortunately, with all the ruckus that is going about, a strangely clumsy Ms Scholap is the least of anyone's concern, and she has no trouble approaching the stage, where even now Michael Thomas is being examined for any injuries, and Mr Green is speaking with the guards. Of the two beaten goons, one is cuffed and thrown into the back of a police car, while the other is carried away on a stretcher while paramedics treat the many first degree burns.

"They were just thugs looking for drug money most likely. Thought maybe they could ransom me for the fundraiser money. I managed to knock one of them out with a lucky blow to the head, and the other idiot misfired his own gun, and caught on fire. If I hadn't acted quicker, he'd probably have burned to death. As it was, I was more concerned with Michael's well being than chasing after the last-"

"There were others on the stage," one of the guards interrupted, "who were they?"

Mr. Green waves his hand dismissively. "just some kids who wanted to help. It's a miracle they didn't get shot themselves. If I hadn't ended the fight when I did-"

"One of them was on fire," The guard insisted, "And one of them appeared to have wings."

Principal Green laughs. "The only one who was on fire was that chap. And wings, you say? Are you sure you weren't on something yourself?"

"I know what I saw," The guard grumbled, "What I don't know is why you are denying it."

"Because it's ridiculous, and no one will believe you." is Green's reply, "And I suggest you drop the matter, unless you want to end up in a padded cell. My story is what it is. I disabled the first thug, the second disabled himself. The third bolted with Michael's invention. Your efforts would be better directed towards finding the third goon rather than interrogating the victim, wouldn't you agree?" It's at this moment he spots Kat approaching. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to speak to my vice principal about these events."

He brushes past the frustrated guards, and quickly pulls her away by the arm. "Word of advice," Mr Green whispers, "if you're going to impersonate specific person, make sure that you know how that person moves, or at the very least make sure you don't walk past someone who does. I assume that you are the nondescript girl on the stage? The one that I've never seen at this school before in my life?"


Meanwhile, Miguel drags the other two with him to the last place the goon was seen, but once he gets there, a quick circular glance around yields no immediate clues to where he might have gone. You could attempt to search the area for clues, but that would give him further time to escape, and the police are not likely far behind you, responding to the sudden attack. Alternately, you could pick a direction and hope to get lucky, but if you pick incorrectly you doubt you'll have time to come back and look for a trail before the police lock down the area. Whatever he does, however, he realizes he'll have to do so quickly-with every passing second, the goon gets further and further away.

Steven is already a step ahead of them, however, having picked up tracks that he believes belong to the escaping goon, and follows them as best he can. It gets really tricky when they go through one of the fair's crossroads, his tracks mixing with dozens of other tracks, but after a short pause mentally untangling the many footprints, he manages to whittle it down to three sets of tracks simply by eliminating the tracks that have gone cold. He has to backtrack a bit to compare the foot prints, but finally picks out his quarry amidst the clutter, and he is once again off. He stops only when the tracks lead into a tent near the edge of the fair.
__________________
Holidays and my new overnights schedule are still taking a toll on me and my post rate, and will probably continue to do so until some time after the new year. Please bear with me until then!

Last edited by darthcharon; 02-14-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Eris Renfield's Avatar
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2015
RPXP: 2165
Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield Eris Renfield
Posts: 1,965
The "vice principal" allows herself to be quickly led away. "How perceptive of you. On the other hand, it accomplished the two things I wanted, which was getting your attention, and proving that you know about things like that, because no normal person would make that guess. In general, people make up excuses for oddities they notice, if they notice them at all. Even really close loved ones. Under the circumstances, why not guess that I had seen the burnt guy, and was dizzy from shock? Or maybe I'm drunk." She smiles at him, pleased with herself, then sobers abruptly. "Those kids were too obvious when they left, and those weren't gang members. Those guys were from the government. Which means those kids are likely to be rounded up and dissected like frogs, and they won't even know what hit them. Now, I don't know what your deal is, but you are the only one who seems to know anything, so I figure you need to send someone after them to keep them safe, and maybe teach them a thing or two about sneaking around."
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 AM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 20,026
Miguel looks at the different directions at the crossroads. Letting go of his passengers, he pouts in frustration. "Darn! C'mon, where'd he go?" Cops and the other adults are getting too close for comfort, so Miguel tucks his wings back into his jacket. After the brief stretch of freedom, it feels uncomfortably tight again, and his shoulders are unconsciously wiggling trying to get some relief. "Ugh, you guys have any idea where the bad guy went? ... We could split up." But with how poorly that works in cartoons, "Or we can just pick a direction." Trying to remember which way is closer to the edge of the fair, the boy points in a
Dice Which of the three directions (F, L, or R):
d3 1
direction, "Like that way."
__________________
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-15-2019
RPXP: 52290
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,840
Tori's eyes don't even bother looking over the flaming visage of the one she caught afire, her breathing heavy, her concentration harder and harder to maintain. The pain, searing, through the adrenaline and the anger, causes the flames about her body to flicker lower, start to change in color to be a brighter orange. "Breathe... breathe... breathe...." Calming herself down, trying to mentally block the pain, she sees the man, burning. "Oh God, breathe!" She rushes over to the body and helps the young boy try to put the flames out on the body she scorched. Did she do that!? Gods around them, did she have that power!? Moving him back and forth, she puts her hand in the fires on the man's back, so that new fires won't start. She doesn't think to turn off the flames off. Right now, it's hard to think, rather than do.

The gunshot stops her, causing her to jump, her wound to tighten. The principle orders them to leave. Looking down at the body, Tori almost stops to think about what to do, before a hand starts pulling her forward; it sizzles, but tries again, and belongs to the angel-faced boy from the roller coaster. "I-I don't think any of this is going to be a lot of fun." She knows he's trying to make things lighter, but being shot is no laughing matter. Trying to follow, she turns on her own flight, taking some of the pressure off of Miguel, but she goes much more slowly; she can't keep up. So, she follows along as she can.

Miguel lets them loose, and adjusting her shoulders, Tori coughs. "Z-zoinks." It's an attempt to bring back the boy's humor, as she is starting to get over her wound, trying to make this easier. Looking around, trying to pick up a trail now that she can focus, Tori's flames light up a bit more. "As long as we get the sucker, I'm good for anything, little buddy. Speaking of.... I hate to be the flaming girl in the room, but do you have a name?" Looking at Christopher, she smiles; flaming as she is, it looks absolutely terrifying. The stick up his ass is certainly not keeping him from being so "dignified" now. "Hi."
 
__________________
Returning to Life
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands

Last edited by Sassafrass; 02-15-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM
dbaque's Avatar
dbaque dbaque is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 15735
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Posts: 20,026
The boy drops the wracked concentration over the mystery hidden by the crossroads and laughs with her at getting the reference. It was one of his favorite shows whenever he got the chance to see it. Turning to her with a bright smile, he extends his hand for a shake, either forgetting already or not caring for the earlier reaction a moment ago. "I'm Miguel. Pleased to meet you! What's your name? ... Or is that a secret identity thing, and I have to call you 'Fire Lady'?"
__________________
"Pride goeth before destruction...." Proverbs 16:18
"The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon."
-G.K. Chesterton, Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 AM
darthcharon's Avatar
darthcharon darthcharon is offline
Lord of the Dork Side
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-19-2018
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Posts: 7,182
Mr. Green laughs. "Touche. And you're not wrong. A month ago I'd never have given you a second thought. But, let's just say you're not the first gifted ones I've met. As for the thugs... They were certainly organized, but what makes you so sure they're government? They could be ex-military, private security, or terrorists. I definitely agree that there's more to them than meets the eye, however." Looking off in the distance, he nods. "Fortunately, there was too much panic for anyone to have gotten a good glance, though I might need to speak with Michael and make sure he didn't recognize any of them."

He pauses for a moment, as if attempting to recall the incident. "Let's see here, Miguel Cortez, Tori Mifune, Christopher Cresswell, and I think I saw Steven Martin bolting out of nowhere near the end of it. I'll have to have a word with them on Monday. And I think I'd like you to be there as well, Miss..." He trails off, waiting for you to fill in the blank.

Meanwhile, their sense of urgency lost, Miguel, Tori, and Cris begin swapping names while the trail grows colder, and Steven hesitates at the tent, unsure whether it's wise to barge in.
__________________
Holidays and my new overnights schedule are still taking a toll on me and my post rate, and will probably continue to do so until some time after the new year. Please bear with me until then!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Scimmy's Avatar
Scimmy Scimmy is online now
Windrunner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 8263
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
Posts: 6,226
Steven stands at the tent, fighting with himself. I should go and get help. But if I leave they may not be here when I return. But this is well beyond the bounds of what I should be doing. But I can do something, and others might not be able to. The fight goes on and on in his head. Back and forth, indecision wracking him. Finally he resigns himself to at least trying. I've come this far... With a quick dash around the tent, Steven
Dice Roll:
1d20+3 (5)+3 Total = 8
looks for any other openings to the tent before picking a point on the side, a little away from the three. He takes several long and deep breaths then steps up onto the air and passes slowly and invisibly through the tent.

 
__________________
-Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
-I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

Last edited by Scimmy; 02-16-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
darthcharon's Avatar
darthcharon darthcharon is offline
Lord of the Dork Side
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-19-2018
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Posts: 7,182
Finding his courage, Steven sneaks into the room to find a rather strange situation before him. Upon the ground is a woman, unconscious and bleeding slightly from a head wound. Standing above her is a terrified looking man, now wearing the coat of the ruffian you chased after, holding a gun pointed at the woman. And kneeling at his feet is the thug himself, sans bulky coat. He is messing with some sort of device with one hand, another gun casually pointed at the man with the other. "As long as you don't move, you'll live. The cops will be here soon, and once they see the proximity mine, they'll call in the bomb squad. Just don't make any sudden moves, and hold on to my jacket, and you'll be fine. Try anything funny, and boom. Understood?" The man nods weakly, as if afraid even that motion could set it off.

"Good." the thug replies with a smug grin. "Of course, if the cops see you standing over a wounded woman, armed and wearing a jacket not unlike the one the criminals were seen wearing, well, hopefully they'll be smart for a change."
__________________
Holidays and my new overnights schedule are still taking a toll on me and my post rate, and will probably continue to do so until some time after the new year. Please bear with me until then!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB