Other City of Mists: Ordinary People, Legendary Powers - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 680
AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV
Thank you for the awesome ideas/help.

I think Castor is fully complete.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9675
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Argh. The choices, so many choices. I’m getting the same feeling I had the first time I played Masks (my first experience with PBTA). I got so into it that I think I wrote out 4 or 5 full characters and then worked with the team to narrow them down.

I noticed you and your players talking a bit about party balance and dynamic, so before I go to far down the rabbit hole on any of these potential mythoi, I was wondering if you felt any would or would not fit well:
  1. A trickster in the vein of Coyote, or Reynard the Fox, Elil-hrair-rah, or maybe tortoise (the West African trickster, not the humble one that raced the hare). They are subtly different and I’m not sure which of those I like the best, but they all fill a similar party role.
  2. Robin Goodfellow (Puck) from Shakespeare’s A Midsommer Night’s Dream - also a bit of a trickster, but the mischievous magical fairy sort rather than the clever and cunning animal.
  3. The Wyrd Sisters from that other Shakespeare play (that shall remain nameless) - I noticed some debate about whether another prophet character would be redundant or if characters who employ different forms of prophecy could be interesting to play off each other, so you’ll have to tell me if this fits at all. With this one you get the gift of foresight (though probably only when wrapped in obscure riddles that can easily be misinterpreted) and some general witchy magic.
  4. A Siren or Medusa - powerful, but even more powerfully cursed. Bad things don’t happen directly to her, but anyone she gets close to is doomed.
  5. Now this one is a bit of a long shot, but Harold and the Purple Crayon - things he draws become real, fully developed constructs.

My head is still swimming with ideas if you don’t like any of those, but let me know if you’d like to see a fully developed app for any of those.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1107
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Uwa, this still accepting? Kinda interested.

So right now the cast is a time manipulator, a luck manipulator, an illusionist and... not sure what the last one is?

Maybe I could just go for Pygmalion or the Sword of Damocles but maybe I could find something that fits more with the party...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:31 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15777
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystwatch View Post
not sure what the last one is?
Vulco hasn't logged in for months, so if anybody is taking his character into consideration: Don't.

@rhaiber Hard to say if anything fits better than anything else, because it's really down to the themebooks chosen. In terms of personality we don't have a trickster, but my character does change appearance as her current main ability - something that's generally a trickster "thing".

The drawings turning into constructs stands out to me as the thing that is the most different from the current characters or anything that has popped up in this thread. Though as I said - even something that is fundamentally the same (like the wyrd sisters when we have a moirai already) could technically be approached in a way to not cross wires at all, and on the flipside a different idea could end up having the exact same themebooks and tags as an existing character. But characters aren't secreted, so you have all the information available to make a stand-out character.

Last edited by Phettberg; 01-14-2020 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 PM
An apple a day...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1859
Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood
@rhaiber

I don't think it's party balance as such. But when Marshmallow roped me in and I was working out my character idea he gently discouraged (but didn't ban) a few of my ideas so that I didn't overlap too much with Phett's and Ysolde's.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 PM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
So, I suppose this is a tentative application, since I haven't quite hammered this guy's themebooks yet (beyond Bastion and maybe Routine or Training...), and I'm not even completely sure if I want to go with him... could also go for Futsunushi (Japanese god of martial arts and swords) or an Anemoi (Greek spirit of rain/storms). But, anyway...

ApplicationCHARACTER NAME
Leon Mafique

MYTHOS
Pygmalion and Galatea

Pygmalion is a king and a sculptor who loved no woman; however, in creating an ivory sculpture in honor of the goddess Aphrodite, he fell in love with this statue. Answering his secret prayers, the goddess brought the statue, Galatea, to life.

Leon's Mythos manifests as his ideal woman, Bianca. She is able to appear and disappear as she or Leon wishes, and while her body may seem to be made of flesh, it is as durable as a statue.

LOGOS
Frustrated writer

Leon is a thirty-something unemployed man, surviving due to the kindness of his family. He wishes to be a novel writer, but he has not had much luck; his imagination is vibrant, but his work ethic leaves much to be desired, and reality is often cruel.

Leon stands at an average height, with curly hair that gets messy way too quickly, and a beard and mustache that remains in his face because he's too lazy to shave. He is of medium build, but he is out of shape, having flab in some places that he tries to hide with baggy clothing. He has glasses for his nearsightedness.

Pygmalion manifested in Leon due to his loneliness and his constant failure, and his desire for something unearthly, fantastic, and beautiful. His secret pain is that he might never be good enough to be liked or loved by anyone.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3991
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Thank you for the application, Myst!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 680
AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV
So decision will be on the 22nd?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Yep, the decision will be on the 22nd.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 PM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
@Marshmallow, would you want me to flesh out Leon's themebooks, or could they wait if and until I'm actually picked?

Right now I have Bastion (woman as tough as ivory), Expression (stunning beauty), Defining Relationship (family), and maybe Routine (writing).
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
It would be nice to have some idea as to how your stuff works, but we're trying to stick to a single mythos theme and three logos themes to begin with. This error is mine, I put the wrong tier on the ad.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 01-15-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:04 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, we've got some good apps here, the deadline remains the same though: 22nd!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:32 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 557
Vailee Vailee Vailee Vailee Vailee Vailee
Updated my application with a new and bigger concept here. Hopefully, the themes are fine.

Last edited by Vailee; 01-17-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, thanks for the application, Vailee!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Argh. The choices, so many choices. Iím getting the same feeling I had the first time I played Masks (my first experience with PBTA). I got so into it that I think I wrote out 4 or 5 full characters and then worked with the team to narrow them down.

I noticed you and your players talking a bit about party balance and dynamic, so before I go to far down the rabbit hole on any of these potential mythoi, I was wondering if you felt any would or would not fit well:
  1. A trickster in the vein of Coyote, or Reynard the Fox, Elil-hrair-rah, or maybe tortoise (the West African trickster, not the humble one that raced the hare). They are subtly different and Iím not sure which of those I like the best, but they all fill a similar party role.
  2. Robin Goodfellow (Puck) from Shakespeareís A Midsommer Nightís Dream - also a bit of a trickster, but the mischievous magical fairy sort rather than the clever and cunning animal.
  3. The Wyrd Sisters from that other Shakespeare play (that shall remain nameless) - I noticed some debate about whether another prophet character would be redundant or if characters who employ different forms of prophecy could be interesting to play off each other, so youíll have to tell me if this fits at all. With this one you get the gift of foresight (though probably only when wrapped in obscure riddles that can easily be misinterpreted) and some general witchy magic.
  4. A Siren or Medusa - powerful, but even more powerfully cursed. Bad things donít happen directly to her, but anyone she gets close to is doomed.
  5. Now this one is a bit of a long shot, but Harold and the Purple Crayon - things he draws become real, fully developed constructs.

My head is still swimming with ideas if you donít like any of those, but let me know if youíd like to see a fully developed app for any of those.
I mean, really, any could work. I'd prefer to avoid a Medusa mythos for the time being though. It'd really be down to what takes your interest the most out of your selection, but you'll need to choose before the 22nd.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 01-17-2020 at 09:45 PM.