DnD5e Cloibbra Kai ~ City of Shadows - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 PM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1737
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Cloibbra Kai ~ City of Shadows

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN, until Jan 20, 2020.

Opening the game for new applications. Please read below and post interest or apply as you like. The game currently has two, active players. One Rogue and a Wizard.

Game NameCloibbra Kai ~ City of Shadows
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeRole-play in drow society, with combat as needed.
FlavourA dark and depressing game of survival. Lots of evil overtones.
Plot SummaryThis game will center on survival in the drow city of Cloibbra (Cloibbra Kai is just the game's name. The city is just Cloibbra). Player characters will be drow, possibly from different castes of the society. Cloibbra is listed as a "known" city of the Forgotten Realms setting, but only by name, so it's perfect for us to flesh out together!

In this game, Cloibbra will be the typical drow city that has the ruling class of clerics, wizards, and weapon masters (high level martial classes), with the added exception of there being a hidden monastery outside of the city that teaches the Way of the Shadow monastic tradition exclusively. Those monks are given the same level of respect as assassins would receive in drow society. If anyone plays a monk from that monastery, then I will give them additional information if accepted into the game.

There will be two, available methods for applying to the game.

METHOD ONE

You will be level 3, use the standard point-buy method for ability scores and the default 27 points.

If you have a specific character in mind that you'd like to play, please post in the following format:

Name: Your character's name.
Alignment: Your character's alignment.
Class/Path: Your character's class. Official product sources only unless I approve.
Background: Your character's background (not history/story, but the actual background feature from the rules)
Ideal: From the background, or create your own.
Bond: From the background, or create your own.
Flaw: From the background, or create your own.
Personality: Facts about how your character perceives the drow world and their secret thoughts and plans. Most drow try not to emote a unique personality among anyone except relatives.
History: How your character grew up in society and how they are fulfilling their current role in their caste.
RP Example: Write a scene where your character has been slotted for patrol duty (all drow of certain ranks must patrol around the city for a few weeks every year). You can interact with other drow, or describe the patrol encountering a group of enemies (adventurers, duergar, other kinds of monster, etc.). Your character might enjoy patrol duty, or could be using the duty as a chance to get rid of a rival drow.

METHOD TWO

The interest thread that inspired my to create the game included a discussion about randomly rolling up a drow to play for the game. This will add to the sense of helplessness about your starting caste in the society, and be rewarding for those that can survive. For those that want to make a random drow character, your application will instead be RP examples for four, different drow. Please RP a scene with the below characters, and you will be taking on the role of the described character. If you are selected to be in the game, we will randomly roll up your character in the game thread (everything except ability scores, which will still be point-buy).

Nhilafae Melviir, Drow Matron: Nhilafae has just discovered a plot to usurp power against her house. She suspects one of her children, Aunryna Melviir - a priestess of Lolth - has a treacherous hand involved, but can't be quite sure. Her house has access to the typical slave stock of drow and assorted humanoids, the house weapon master, a wizard, and several other priestesses of Lolth. Please RP a scene where she has summoned the priestesses, wizard, and weapon master to her audience chamber for interrogation to reveal the truth. All drow involved can have varying secret allegiances or loyalties.

Istdiin Oussep, Drow Theurgist: Istdiin is a foolish wizard. He took the wizard path of theurgy, which allows him to tap into the divine magic of the gods via arcane methods. He is a fool, because he's stealing magic from Lolth (main goddess of the drow). This is extremely displeasing to Lolth and her priestesses. A bounty has been put in Istdiin's head. Please RP a scene of him surviving in the city of Cloibbra. He is being pursued by two search parties, each consisting of a high-level priestess, a drider, and several high-level fighters. His fate is in your hands.

Drestrag Elpryrr, Drow Weapon Master: Drestrag has only recently become the house weapon master. He isn't as skilled as the previous weapon master and has some big shoes to fill. The previous weapon master was sacrificed to Lolth for his failures to please the house matron. Please RP a scene where Drestrag is training some house guards. Their training session will be interrupted by an alarm that signifies the house is under attack. This could be a secret raid from another drow house (open warfare is illegal and punished in drow society), or the house could be attacked by an Underdark menace or mercenaries.

Rikorvir Barrineld, Drow "Merchant": Rikorvir is a former slave of a drow house that was destroyed. He escaped in the commotion and made a business for himself in the city of Cloibbra. Please RP a scene where Rikorvir is dealing with prospective drow clients. He could be selling anything from slaves to fine jewelry or art. Since he is not loyal to a house, his clients will try to use that as leverage against him. He should be crafty about how he completes the transaction, while also maintaining his freedom.

Please submit each story in one post, and put each in their own spoiler button for ease of everyone's browsing.

Posting FrequencyWhen I run games, I will check for updates at least once a day. On holidays that may occur later at night than normal. I would like for people that join to feel comfortable with keeping abreast of the story and try to post (when relevant to their character) at least 3-4 times a week. Best pace would be a post a day or at least check the site each day.

RulingsAnyone that wants to play a ranger, I am using the Player's Handbook version, but I will allow the +2 damage bonus of favored enemy.

Players wanting to apply for a cleric can also use my custom Spider domain.

Last edited by Superstrength79; 01-02-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
City InfoCity name origin: Cloibbra is called City of Shadows for the fact the city is in a poor location in the Underdark and thus the city doesn't have magical lights outside of buildings, so as not to draw a lot of predators into the city.

Ever-dark Alley: A street between two, powerful drow houses that is kept perpetually dark with magical effects; it is the main road that leads further into the Underdark. A lot of assassinations take place in this alley. The street itself is rarely guarded, except for the exit of the street into the city, but only from the two house fortresses above. The street is steep and is at least a mile long.

Monastery InfoSecret info for monk players.

Last edited by Superstrength79; 01-09-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1955
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Interested.
How are you doing ability scores?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Interested.
How are you doing ability scores?
Point buy (27), regardless of what method you want to use.

EDIT: For the random characters, you'll know gender and class before buy the points, so they won't be running around with rolled stats at all. No 3 STR fighters, it's not that random

Last edited by Superstrength79; 12-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Nhilafae Melviir - Drow Matron

Istdiin Oussep - Drow Theurgist

Drestrag Elpryrr - Weapon Master

Rikorvir Barrineld - Drow 'Merchant'

Last edited by Watcher; 12-10-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Updated post with application interest/progress. Also clarified the two methods a bit. Great story for the house weapon master, Watcher. Makes me look forward to the others as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 416
m149307 m149307 m149307 m149307 m149307
Definitely interested, was just wondering if a bard would be a good fit? Was thinking of of the Valor college
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by m149307 View Post
Definitely interested, was just wondering if a bard would be a good fit? Was thinking of of the Valor college
The drow are hedonists, so there is always room for musicians or singers/actors in their society (if they can live long enough to be good at it). Depending on your caste, you might still have to go out on patrols, which would be a good reason for going the Valor path.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Do we have any academies or places of learning, such as Melee-Magthere, in Cloibbra? Just wondering, as they could provide some nice drive for characters to improve their stations/castes.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
Do we have any academies or places of learning, such as Melee-Magthere, in Cloibbra? Just wondering, as they could provide some nice drive for characters to improve their stations/castes.
Yes, Cloibbra would have an academy similar to Tier Breche from Menzoberranzan. Do you have lore that states drow can improve their stations there? Or were you referencing how drow students would try to kill each other during practice?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Super interested in this. I love the Drow. I was going to play a Way of the Four Elements monk, but I'm down for Way of the Shadow as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrength79 View Post
Yes, Cloibbra would have an academy similar to Tier Breche from Menzoberranzan. Do you have lore that states drow can improve their stations there? Or were you referencing how drow students would try to kill each other during practice?
By becoming a master of the Melee-Magthere academy, where a ring is provided made from dragon sources, and station is generally improved (especially for second or third sons). There's also the potential for offing rivals 'in training' and taking advantage of things outside of the more typically guarded houses, in the more lax academy surroundings.

But yes, very cool. Mainly just info for ideas about characters' histories, less about attending.

Also, I've written all of my samples.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfTheHeart View Post
Super interested in this. I love the Drow. I was going to play a Way of the Four Elements monk, but I'm down for Way of the Shadow as well.
Added you to the table. Sorry that I missed your post somehow. Way of the Shadow would be the easiest for a drow to learn, being in or near Cloibbra.

EDIT: You could still play the elements monk, but you'd be from a house and unrelated to the monastery. Possibly raised and trained to be a rival to their power.

Last edited by Superstrength79; 12-11-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Chashin Vrenna
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Character Level: 3
Class/Path: Monk (Way of the Shadow)
Background: Haunted One
Ideal: I like to know my enemy’s capabilities and weaknesses before rushing into battle.
Bond: I keep my thoughts and discoveries in a journal. My journal is my legacy.
Flaw: I assume the worst in people.

Personality: Paranoia and mistrust are Chashin's best friends and have allowed him to survive as long as he has in the position he's in. He's natually curious and likes to learn all that he can about how everything works, making him good at finding weakness in both things and people. Due to his upbringing, Chashin dislikes and has a harder time trusting women. He also finds himself sexually attracted to other men for the same reasons. He's a little shy and a bit awkward when it comes to talking to people, especially guys that he finds attractive. People tend to write him off as submissive and not a threat, but he has a strong will to live and a lack of remorse. He would poison your grandmother if she was a threat to him.

Chashin secretly hates Lolth and is against her worship. He hates how her priestesses can get away with anything just because of their position. He wants to serve justice to those who think they are above it and create a more equal world to live in, where children don't have to poison their parents to get further in life, and where people don't have to look over their shoulder constantly.

History: Chashin is the youngest of two children. His older sister was chosen at an early age to become a priestess of Lolth and since then has been all but forgotten by his family. It was his sister, Kiaka who raised him for the most part. After their parents were tragically and mysteriously poisoned at dinner one night. Though he can't prove it, Chashin knows it was Kiaka who killed them. Kiaka has used and abused Chashin for many rituals to Lolth, the most common being needing his blood. His body is covered in scars from these events. The worst of them was when he was only eight. She needed his right eye for a ritual, so she took it from him, tearing it from the socket with her bare hands. Ever since then, Chashin has been plagued with random, disturbing, visions of what he can only assume is what his right eye is seeing. One he saw the face of who he swears must have been Lolth herself. Chashin thought that his entire life would be his sister using him for rituals, until she needed him dead. But something changed his life for the better.

One day Chashin was taking a shortcut home when he saw something he shouldn't have. Most would call it wrong place, wrong time, but for him everything was right. He accidentally saw a monk slaughtering a high ranking Drow. Not wanting to leave any witnesses, the monk attacked him too, but was apparently impressed by the way that Chashin fought back. Instead was rendered unconscious and brought to the monastery. There he was told about what they did and what they stood for and given a choice. Either he could join them, or die. For him, there was only one choice. Not only because he wanted to live, but also because he believed in their cause.

At first, his sister was angry that he was leaving to enter into some sort of training, but after convincing her that he would be more useful this way, she allowed it. Chashin packed a bag, and began a new chapter of his life, away from the constant torture. In the monks, Chashin found hope, a chance at a different life, and the skills to make his wildest dreams a reality. If only he lives long enough to see them through.

RP Example: Chashin usually hated patrol, but today was different. Him getting chosen was perfect timing to take out a target. One that they had been after for months now. If he managed to pull it off, it would put him another rank up at the monastery. If he failed, well he wouldn't have to worry about climbing the ranks anymore. His footsteps hardly made a sound as he continued on his designated path. A single crimson eye scanned the surroundings on a constant basis, the usual paranoia keeping him ever vigilante for even the slightest movement in the shadow. He'd rather be laughed at for being on guard because of a rat, than end up with a knife in his back. Just as he was thinking about this, movement caught his eye. There, about fifty feet ahead, was the target. The high ranking man had been suspected of murdering the daughter of a matron several months ago, but no proof had been found. Without proof, he thought he was free to go. Chashin said otherwise.

The monk continued on his path as if nothing had just changed and even offered the man a nod as they got closer. But as soon as they crossed paths, Chashin moved. Silently and effortlessly, Chashin whipped around, catching the man off guard and wrapping him into a choke hold. The move that Chashin had done hundreds of times in the past immediately cut off the blood supply to the man's brain, turning his scream into a hoarse whisper. Within moments his body stopped working. Chashin put his lips directly against the man's ear and whispered. "Now you know how she felt." He said coldly. The matron's daughter had been strangled to death, it was only fitting her killer got the same treatment. Chashin waited the seconds it took for the man to go limp in his arms, then just to be sure, broke his neck with cold, practiced, ease.

As if throwing away trash, Chashin deposited the corpse into a dark corner. Then, as if nothing had happened, the monk continued on his patrol. Once it was complete, he would return to the monastery to make his report. Another scum bag who thought themselves lawless had been brought to justice.

Last edited by ColorsOfTheHeart; 12-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Updated the second post above with information about the monks.
Closed Thread