Other City of Mists: Ordinary People, Legendary Powers - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 12:53 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16809
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
That's alright, getting the vibe to go back to the drawing board. Fair enough.

Have to hit the sack so can't do a full write up now, but I'm thinking the Oracles of Delphi for a Mythoi. Michael Future, a con artist whose day job is that of a fake mall psychic but he does that to hide in plain sight that his ability to get precognitive visions is actually real if nowhere near as powerful as advertised.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; 01-08-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:06 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10676
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I thought you'd be sick of me after the stuff I've just pulled in the Witcher game, but alright.
Hey, it's not the Witcher if there's not some death and sadness in-between the bouts of talking horses and drunk-dialling sorceresses while wearing a dress

How detailed a background would you like for now, Marsh?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:35 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10401
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Bumping this as a current player - I'm having great fun so far and am excited to see what characters we'll be adding.

My two cents, disregard at your leisure:

Not that it matters much for pbta kind of game, but what I noticed is that currently we have three characters with powers that are rather indirect, two of which relating to fate/divination and that sort of thing. Mine is going more towards illusion, subterfuge and fear.

In a way it would be interesting thematically to have a character that channels the greek moirai and one the oracle of delphi at the same time, if nobody minds that it could superficially seem like an overlap. Two characters can have their powers defined in very different ways anyway. Though if a sense of diverse party composition is important to any potential joiners I would maybe suggest a mythos that is a bit more forceful and direct (maybe even physical), because that seems very absent right now.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1474
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL1987 View Post
Hey, it's not the Witcher if there's not some death and sadness in-between the bouts of talking horses and drunk-dialling sorceresses while wearing a dress

How detailed a background would you like for now, Marsh?
As detailed as you want, honestly, so long as you cover the basics of what 'awoke' the mythoi in your character and what their general theme is.
And yeah, as Phettberg said, there's very little in the ways of a 'fighting'/'frontlines' type in the party composition.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 01-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10676
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
As detailed as you want, honestly, so long as you cover the basics of what 'awoke' the mythoi in your character and what their general theme is.
And yeah, as Phettberg said, there's very little in the ways of a 'fighting'/'frontlines' type in the party composition.
Got it And I think Jack the Ripper qualifies as a "fighter" of sorts, even if he might be a bit more on the Rogue side of things ^^
Old 01-08-2020, 11:59 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I honestly feel like I might be being a little too choosy, but I'm honestly trying to find characters that are going to work with the group in regards to attitudes and such. There is a character folder you can find here, if you want to peruse; though you can also find plenty of examples on the City of Mist website with pre-gens, too.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:05 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 216
Vailee Vailee Vailee
Edited with a new mythoi and to be longer.
Application
Name: Aisling O’Connor
Mythos: Banshee

Last edited by Vailee; 01-17-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the application Vailee!
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 PM
An apple a day...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1376
Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood Doctor Feelgood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
In a way it would be interesting thematically to have a character that channels the greek moirai and one the oracle of delphi at the same time, if nobody minds that it could superficially seem like an overlap. Two characters can have their powers defined in very different ways anyway. Though if a sense of diverse party composition is important to any potential joiners I would maybe suggest a mythos that is a bit more forceful and direct (maybe even physical), because that seems very absent right now.
Seeing that I'll be playing the Moirai once the next chapter of the game starts I'd say this could definitely work. My concept is focused on the probability/fate manipulation aspects with some limited divination. And it seems like our other fate-based character is focused more on time manipulation rather than fate.

I'd say that a more divination focused character in the form of The Oracle at Delphi would fit and give a well-rounded feel to it all.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vailee View Post
SO hard to pick a mythoi, could've spent ages looking mythological figures, but had to pick one! Short concept, let me know what you think.
ApplicationCharacter Concept: Trinity Lawrence/27/Gymnast
Mythoi: Glaistig

I've looked through it, it's a bit short aye, could definitely use a bit more detail about the Mythoi itself.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 630
AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV
Will work on this tonight

Application
right-aligned image
Character: Castor Iraklidis

Castor was brought up in a solidly middle-class family in the city with his parents long holding out hope that he would make his way to university and a professional career. To their dismay he instead looked to the military as soon as he turned eighteen, seeing an appeal in the rigid structure, camaraderie and standing as a protector of others. His self-image as a protector of others saw him rapidly acquire commendations and promotions until he was a member of an elite insertion force in his early twenties. His progression however was brought to an early end by shrapnel from an IED lodging itself in his knee while on a foreign tour.

Following his medical discharge, Castor spent some time exploring the depths of despair with the aid of a variety of recreational habits that skirted the edge of the law. It was not until almost a year later that two former compatriots of the armed forces came to him with a proposal to start a small security firm. Their new company, called 'Noxos Protection' due to all three of them having Greek heritage.

As the new business venture flourished so too did his refound sense of self-worth. Alongside this there awoke something else, a new side that perhaps showed that his new path was one that he was fated to follow. In the depths of his mind however remained a niggling doubt and worry that he would fall back into his despair. This sense of self-worth woke with it a new regard for those he was meant to be working with or protecting, a sense brought on by his mythoi that they were his pack and he should do all he could to protect them.

However alongside this change came one less desirable, his willingness to commit acts of violence against those he saw as a threat to his own was much increased. This sometimes showed itself as a total loss of control over himself with a state close to that of a traditional berserker descending over his mind. This has already led to at least three instances where the protection business has been the subject of the attention of an investigative journalist with one story having been published. Rather than being detrimental the story which revealed the lengths that 'Noxos' would go to so as to protect their clients and this has actually grown their profits even if it has been a hit to Castor's self-image.

Mythos: The Nemean Lion

Logos: Private Security

The Crew
NameHelpHurt
TBC  
TBC  

Story Tags:

Buildup

Moments of Evolution:

Nemeses:

A Mane of Gold
TypeBastion
Attention   
Fade/Crack   
Mystery: How can I protect others when I could not even protect myself?
Power Tags
(A) WHAT QUALITY OR ABILITY GRANTED BY YOUR MYTHOS MOST OFTEN PROTECTS YOU?(H) WHO OR WHAT WERE YOUR POWERS MEANT TO PROTECT?(D) AGAINST WHAT TYPE OF ATTACK OR INFLUENCE IS YOUR DEFENSE ESPECIALLY EFFECTIVE?(G) WHAT OTHER EFFECT OR QUALITY, NOT NECESSARILY DEFENSIVE, CAME WITH YOUR DEFENSE?
Impervious SkinTo guard the pride.Pointed, Edged or Piercing Attacks.A burst of speed.
Weakness Tags
TO WHAT ATTACKS IS YOUR DEFENSE SUSCEPTIBLE?WHAT PERSONALITY TRAIT DERIVED FROM YOUR DEFENSE GETS YOU INTO TROUBLE?
Pressure and CrushingLack of Self-Protection
Improvements:
Flipside:

A Danger Unseen
TypeDefining Event
Attention   
Fade/Crack   
Concept: An IED exploded ending his career as a soldier.
Power Tags
(A) WHAT KIND OF STRONG EMOTION DID YOUR DEFINING EVENT LEAVE YOU WITH?(B)WHAT PART OF YOUR OLD SELF, WHILE DEEPLY CHANGED, STILL SERVES YOU?(J)HOW DO PEOPLE TREAT YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR DEFINING EVENT?
DespairSelf-DisciplineSympathy and Respect
Weakness Tags
WHAT IS NOW BROKEN WITHIN YOU, PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY, DUE TO YOUR DEFINING EVENT?
Injured knee that requires weekly physio.
Improvements:
Flipside:

Armed and Dangerous
Type
Attention   
Fade/Crack   
Concept: Castor is never unarmed and often has a small collection of offensive and defensive equipment.
Power Tags
(A) WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR POSSESSION?(F) WHAT HELPS YOU CONCEAL YOUR POSSESSIONS OR THE FACT YOU ARE USING THEM?(B) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR POSSESSIONS IN GENERAL?
Pair Of SIG Sauer P320Underarm Vertical Twin Shoulder HolsterA collection of modern weaponry and protective gear.
Weakness Tags
(D) WHO OR WHAT CAN PREVENT YOU FROM PUTTING YOUR POSSESSIONS TO USE?
Unwilling to use on an unarmed foe.
Improvements:
Flipside:

Who Dares Wins
Type
Attention   
Fade/Crack   
Concept: Castor is a well-trained elite soldier.
Power Tags
(A) WHAT DO YOU DO, OR KNOW, BEST?(B) WITHIN YOUR FIELD OF EXPERTISE, AT WHICH SPECIFIC SKILL OR SUBJECT DO YOU EXCEL?WHAT OTHER TANGENT FIELD HAVE YOU VENTURED INTO INDIRECTLY?
Modern CombatAssymetrical WarfarePractical Engineering
Weakness Tags
HOW DID YOUR TRAINING ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR PSYCHE OR BODY?
Tendency towards emotional detachment.
Improvements:
Flipside:

Last edited by AegorIV; 01-21-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the application Aegor! I'll be interested to see what you put in for it!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:49 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5719
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Hey, are you still accepting apps? I love PBTA games! Not familiar with City of Mists ... yet ... but I just found myself a copy of the book. Are you willing to take on someone who is new to the system? If so, how long do I have to figure it out and put together a character?

"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 01-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 630
AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV
Ok so backstory is filled in, now to work ok the mechanics.

Thinking some sort of partial invulnerability. Improved senses. Taking some of the damage others would take and something other. Maybe Were-Lion?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:21 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Hey, are you still accepting apps? I love PBTA games! Not familiar with City of Mists ... yet ... but I just found myself a copy of the book. Are you willing to take on someone who is new to the system? If so, how long do I have to figure it out and put together a character?
Newcomers are welcome, if you're familiar with PBTA you'll be vaguely familiar with certain aspects from Chargen with the City of Mist system. I haven't got a deadline in mind honestly, I'm thinking maybe 22nd or 25th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AegorIV View Post
Ok so backstory is filled in, now to work ok the mechanics.

Thinking some sort of partial invulnerability. Improved senses. Taking some of the damage others would take and something other. Maybe Were-Lion?
There's a lot of things that can work for mythos powers, having something offensive could be useful but if you already have something in your mundane arsenals such as Firearm Training or CQC Expertise, then perhaps something to aid that such as mobility or enhancement of sorts could be a good idea.

It also depends on what your mythos is actually capable of doing. Inhuman transformations (from my perspective, reading City of Mist) seems to be more a spiritual/aura-based change than an actual, physical metamorphic; though certain features such as tusks and horns are implied to be hidden by the mist?

Looking at the Nemean Lion, I think the following playbooks could work well (Again, from my perspective) for Mythos powers:
  • Adaptation
  • Bastion
  • Expression
  • Potentially a fleeced coat/bomber jacket with invulnerability, weakness being it's only protecting what's coated by the relicRelic