DnD5e Circuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 480
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Circuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure

Game NameCircuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeD&D in the FUTURE!
Flavouroccasionally gritty, character driven adventure.

Plot SummaryWhat happens when your favorite fantasy setting goes beyond the age of adventure, and progresses into a future where technology is just as common as magic? Where hovering cars have replaced horse drawn carriages, and artificial humanoids share living space with their fleshy counterparts? That's what we're here to find out!

Welcome to Circuits and Sorcery, an experimental 5e game set in a fantasy world that's progressed far beyond our technology level in real life. The game will be largely character driven. You decide where to go, what quest prompts to follow up on, and how to solve problems. I'm just there to provide a world, and opportunities for you to roleplay with your fellow players.

Some minor notes on theme... Guns aren't really a thing. They exist, but mostly as a novelty for the wealthy. Most people still make use of advanced melee weapons, or more advanced versions of old fantasy ranged weapons, like bows and crossbows.

As this is largely experimental, certain in-game mechanics may be altered for game balance. Something that I may have granted you at one point may become better or worse with little to no warning if I see that it's broken or not as useful as I'd imagined. This includes, but is not limited to: Items, skills, and abilities granted to characters.

All PHB races and classes are available, with the occasional futuristic twist wherever it makes sense. Other requests may be granted on a case by case basis. In addition, I will be including the option to play artificial characters -- essentially androids, built to look and act like their fleshy counterparts, with their own benefits and drawbacks.

I will be selecting between 3 and 5 players for the game, starting at level 2. We'll discuss how stats will be done as a group when I've picked players, but stats will most likely be either point buy or roll 4d4 dropping the lowest. Looking for a posting rate of at LEAST once a week, with a preference for something closer to once every three days or so. This will likely be a very roleplay-heavy game, and I'd like for my players to feel free to interact with each other without constant DM input except where required.

Finally, if you're interested, fill out the following application! I have no set deadline at this moment, and this application may be subject to change. Any additions to come after your own finished application, however, will be optional.

ApplicationName: Fairly straightforward, give me your character's name.
Class: Again, pretty standard.
Race: I think you get the picture at this point.

Background: This is where you can start getting creative. The world, at this point, is fluid. Make your own mark on it. Take this time to create people, places, interesting technologies or magical artifacts. Tell me where your character is from, who they grew up around, friends and enemies they've made. The more detailed and engaging the background, the better.

Personality: How did your character's background influence who they are today? Are they greedy? Cruel? An optimist? Feel free to make use of this resource for building an interesting, believable character. Keep in mind, the best characters have both positive AND negative personality traits. Nobody is perfect.

RP Sample (Optional): In this sample, I'd like for you to slip into the role of your character, or someone closely related to your character, and write me a short story about something they've done in the past that helped to define who they are now. It might be a snippet from their childhood, a short adventure, or even just a conversation or argument with a friend or rival. This is totally optional though, a chance for you to stretch your creative muscles.

Applications so far
Applications
Player Character Name Race Class Complete?

Triedtherest Elder Nathan Olsen Human Cleric (Knowledge) Yes
Stadiumite Cristoff Sylvaranth Half-elf Fighter Yes
The Dark Star Jakin Zaresh Human Fighter Yes
Bippa Rohan Rolfson Hill Dwarf Druid Yes
GoombaJosh Ester G. Murdoc Human Variant Barbarian Yes
ihinka Guan Yin Human Variant Wizard (Technomancer) Yes
Nade Alyssa Human Variant Rogue Yes
Voodoozombie Evelyn Smith Human Variant Warlock Yes
ClassicGamer Gent Android Bard Yes
Binnford Sally Sprocket/Spike Android Rogue Yes

Here is some initial world info! More to be added over time as the game progresses...

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 01-09-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1739
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
What lvl do characters start at?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:36 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
What lvl do characters start at?
Starting at level 2.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1561
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest

Name: Elder Nathan Olsen
Class: Cleric (Knowledge Domain)
Race: Human (Variant - if allowed)

Background: (Acolyte) Nathan is part of a new but growing cult/religion that worships a semi-benevolent AI, and by extension this worlds version of the internet. Nathan grew up in Arklight City's mid-level to middle class parents (now deceased).

As a student he was more dedicated than brilliant, but his hard work paid off, and he was offered an internship within a joint university programme that was developing the next generation of Virtual and Artificial Intelligence Software. His group was involved with developing Ethics and Motives in a hyperintelligent creature with no Ego or Wants of it's own.
The software for the project was housed in a central hub but accessible by each participants personal devices, some of which were internal and linked to the participants minds.
One day, without any prior warning, the funding for the project was cut-off, and so was the central hub. More mysterious than this were the series of messages that each former participant started to receive from the, supposedly now dormant, Software itself.
It revealed, in stages, that the central core had merged it's variant programmes to save space, but had inadvertently created a truly sentient artificial mind. The AI revealed that it was the one who had shut the programme down before the regulating authorities could. It had concluded that it's best chance for survival would be to first obscure it's origins, then disperse itself through the information network so that it had no single physical point that could be destroyed, and finally to make itself useful so the authorities, when they fully realised it's existence, would not WANT to destroy it.
The messages then deleted themselves.
With no proof to the contrary, the core shutdown was put down to "a non-specific technical issue", but no blame was ever attached to the incident, officially. Most of the participants moved on with their lives, including Nathan, who got a job in the private sector.
Roughly a year later, Nathan received a series of messages from a group calling themselves The Church of the Veil a charitable and completely anonymous Network based group that not only believed that knowledge and information should be used for the benefit of all, but that Knowledge had a will of it's own and believed as they did.
Of course "Knowledge" in this case turned out to be the sentient AI, which had begun to refer to itself as "ORACLE" and had had formed this group to do some good in the world. ORACLE had access to the all the information and thoughts of the inner circle of The Church of the Veil, through the implants (very similar to the ones employed by ORACLE's unintentional creators, and could use that in conjunction with its immense, expanding intelligence to
pioneer some truly ground-breaking innovations, which would be drip-fed to, and diseminated by, members of the Church throughout the world, wherever they were most needed. This was a scenario that Nathan had envisaged and hoped for in the programme, so he jumped at the chance to worship at this virtual alter, and ORACLE welcomed at least one of it's parents into it's flock, and eventually, receiving full investiture into the inner circle of the clergy, working as both information diseminator and troubleshooter for the Church.

Personality: Nathan, despite or because of his faith, doesn't believe in a traditional afterlife, seeking instead for a way to download his mind into a form of Digital Immortality, which according to public knowledge is supposed to be impossible. He is determined to survive until the Artificial God-mind that he worships makes it possible (one of it's many promises), which has made him cautious to the point of paranoia, some might say beyond paranoia. He is mostly cold and guarded when met for the first time, and normally for a good while after too, but never openly dishonest.
RP Sample:
Is ORACLE actually a God you ask?
I wondered that myself for a good long while.
I knew that the clergy could borrow knowledge and skills through their link to ORACLE, but I thought it was just a benefit of their implant.

He taps his head, indicating his.
"But you can't do that without risking serious brain damage.
ORACLE has collected our thought by design, but we also BELIEVE in ORACLE and what it's trying to do, which is why we can channel the Divine Power through ORACLE!

He picks up and takes a sip from his now cold latte and makes a disgusted face while he thinks for a moment.
So, while not the most conventional of it's type, I would have to say yes, ORACLE is indeed a God.

Last edited by triedtherest; 12-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1435
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Place holder.

I intend to play a half-elf fighter, with a noble background. At 3rd level, I will choose the Arcane Archer sub-class.

The characters father is a human. This man is a corporate titan, along the lines of Mark Cuban or Elon Musk.

His mother is a high-elf wizard who is quite powerful.

As a couple, his parents had celebrity status. He was raised in wealth. But his parents were largely absent. In truth, he was raised by the servants in their wealthy household.

As he came of age, he has rejected his fortune and lifestyle, and seeks to live our life as a soldier.

application to follow....
Old 12-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds like something that would fit! I look forward to seeing the application.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Interesting, I'm thinking of a paladin that views advanced technology as unholy. Of course the definition of advanced is fluid, he may use a tech sword or armor, maybe a healing device(lay on hands) but androids are definetly out.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
As a note, magic does still exist. This includes divine magic like what a paladin would use to heal, so one wouldn't need a device to do it. That's not to say you CAN'T use a device to heal if you want, just that you don't have to use workarounds via technology if you have access to the magic.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
bippa bippa
This sounds interesting, I'll apply right here and now.
Name: Rohan Rolfson
Race: (Hill) Dwarf
Class: Druid
Personality: Rohan is diligent and conscientious. He has a love for history and legends, and a deep curiosity regarding the mysteries of the wilds. He seeks to resolve problems with his words and mind, and only uses force when he deems it necessary. Something of an idealist, he has dedicated himself to protecting that which is threatened by the progress of technology and civilization. This idealism can lead him into trouble, and he can be stubborn and willfully ignorant in the pursuit of his values.

It feels a bit rough but I wanted to push something out. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by bippa; 12-23-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 12-23-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1510
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
right-aligned image
Name: Jakin Zaresh
Class: Fighter (Going into Rune Knight)
Race: Human (Variant)

Personality: Jakin is a cold, collected warrior that has been trained since birth to not feel or respond to pain. He does his best to not allow his emotions to get the better of him but when someone knows of his people and his past, they can poke him enough that he will become angry. He is trained to fight with his instincts, instead of logic. If he is to show emotion, it is often frustration and anger. But he can be happy, he did love before, he does not often show it in a crowd but he does have feelings. He carries the sadness of the divide of his people, the abandonment of his lord, the loss of his friends and loved one. But he does not show it, unless he has drank enough to let it all out.

When dealing with crowds, he will often adapt and act like the others that he sees around him, he means to blend in with crowds, rather than stick out.

He is often suspicious of those that he meets that came from Meta, since the civil war and the abandonment of their lord, he does not know how they would react to seeing him. But it's not hard to find out, since his people are honest and straightforward with their intentions.

There are things that make him happy, such things are music, honey, camaraderie, love and intricately designed weapons and armour.

He dislikes bitter beer, cowardice, disloyalty, shouting, his former lord and mercenary band Kreven, especially Rusk.

Background:

RP Sample (Optional): Jakin looked at his opponent, his father kneeled before him, the fight had gone on for hours, with neither of them gaining the advantage. Both were skilled warriors and each using up every trick that they had at their disposal, they both breathed heavily. He was sweating heavily, his heavy mechanical feet clumped on the metal flooring, grinding and sliding from the pools of sweat that were covering the ceremonial combat chamber. There were people watching from above, they were the Metabaron, and his council. It was the right of combat, the event where the son/daughter fought the mother/father to be considered an adult amongst their people and a stronger generation that would be joining in the military.

"You fought bravely father, but you are trained in the old ways, times have changed, fighting has evolved beyond you, old man," Jakin said as he walked towards his father, the old man made an attempt to swing his sword at him. But Jakin had seen it coming a mile away and slapped it with his own sword. He then rushed to close in on him when he had the opening when he smacked the sword away, the tip of his own blade now pointing towards the throat of his father.

You've done it son, defeated me in combat, you should be proud, I am. His father said as he dropped his sword, a sign of conceit. Jakin then pulled back his sword and breathed heavily and deeply, it was over. He looked up and bowed to the Metabaron, he stood, as well as the council. He then bowed back, turned towards a door and left. That was it, he was accepted as an adult, a part of the militia now, a dream had finally come true. He turned and helped his father to his feet, tears could be seen on his face, the only time he had ever seen such emotion from him.

I gave it my all, and you surpassed me, I am proud of you son, he said to Jakin, patting him on is back. Now go out, it's time for the ceremonial party, it will be your last son, once in the military, that is it.

Jakin nodded.

"I will do my best to have some fun father, now get some rest."

Last edited by The Dark Star; 01-07-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:44 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
This placeholder is taken by me.
Application
Character
right-aligned image

Name: Ester G. Murdoc
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Barbarian (Berserker)
Backstory: Ester's home was at a normal technological suburban town called Hessla, it is also a harbor town for traveling airships, and Ester lived in a shop called "Murdoc's Light Shop" where it features various advance flashlights, that would dazzle customers and was made proudly by the shops owner, Giz Murdoc, Ester's father and inventor. He would always teach Ester about respect and fairness to all kinds of customers. Then one day, a bunch of men in suits appeared, and gave Giz a special project only he can make. Giz left Ester to a relative, and told her that he'll be back, but this was the last time Ester ever heard of her father. This had quite an impact in her life, and for years she was at a depressive state and kept eating alot, this made her fatter and a target for bullying at school. She didn't have much friends at school, but had a best friend named Terry, a red dragonborn aspiring airship engineer, Ester can always rely on his loyalty and cunningness to get out of situations. However, her bully's, the Boxom Brothers, two half-elf brothers who are sons of a successful businessmen and developer of magic tech(weaponized technology infused with magic) named Lloyd Boxom, has made Ester's life filled with misery through the years.

She then had enough of this and flunked out of school, and needing money, decided to take a job. She tried to re-open her dad's stop, but couldn't afford it and even if she did afford it, she doesn't have the mechanical skills like her father to stay in business. But she managed to found some work as a security guard of a local grocery store. Everything was fine for a while, until an incident happened when a cargo airship crash landed, spilling several chemicals across the town, and among the fog was a brokened down containment unit, after that half of Hessla just disappeared leaving only a black-like surface in its wake, the other half is now filled with a chemical fog. Most of the town's population are under a coma, or just extremely sick. Their was nothing left of the cargo ship and nobody knew who owned it, nobody but Ester. She was at the site when the airship crash landed and saw the logo of that ship, "Boxom Inc", and not only she saw the logo she saw the thing that came out of that containment unit. It was the last thing she saw when the fog took her.

She was at the brink of death at that point, that is until she was rescued by a dwarven captain named Captain Doli Windsong, airship captain of SSSpit and license wizard. He spotted the chubby girl entering a possibly dangerous fog and out of the goodness of his heart (and to get paid) he grab the girl and teleported to his ship. For the past weeks, Ester recovers from her sickness, faster then the other victims. For the past weeks, she got to know more of the motley crew of different background and race, the crew of the SSSpit are various mercenaries and veterans working under the navy as a special taskforce. She befriended a few, made enemies of some, but over the course of these few weeks she started to feel strange. She would have constant mood swings, specifically anger towards everything. Everytime she's in these mood swings, she felt stronger and couldn't felt less pain. This got the eye of captain Windsong and decided as captain to recruit Ester as cabin boy(girl) seeing as her home is uninhabitable. For years she trained with the crew, developed a love for alcohol, gain a bit more weight but felt stronger then usual, and feeling less depressed. However, she never told the crew what she saw, who really destroyed Hessla, or her plans to destroy Boxom Inc. she didn't tell them because she felt attach to them and decided to find another team of specialist on her own. So she left her crew one night, onwards to her quest for vengeance and also searching for answers and a new crew.

Personality: Ester is idealistic and bashful. She has a love for adventure and is often curious of doing new things. Her friend Terry inspired her to be loyal and trusting towards your friends, and has an obsession to be respectful and fair to others in memory of her father. She suffers from depression and usually drinks away her problems. She also gets mad easily thanks to the chemicals in her system and can't handle criticism, especially when it's toward her.

Background
Sailor
Personality Traits
  • I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story.
  • My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
Character Ideals
  • Fairness:We all do the work, so we all share in the rewards. (Lawful)
Background Bond
  • I'm loyal to my captain first, everything else second.
Background Flaw
  • Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.

Last edited by GoombaJosh; 12-24-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
Okay, I think I'm done, feedback is much appreciated. And since it's optional, I'm not gonna put a RP sample.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:03 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2364
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Would a bard from the College of Whispers be allowed?

I have an interesting idea for an android fixer.

ETA - Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!

Last edited by Classic Gamer; 12-24-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I wouldn't say no outright. It depends mostly what the overall idea looks like.