DnD5e Circuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 815
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
How about Warforged Artificer from the new Eberron book? Might give that futuristic vibe/Android feel you were talking about.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Barbarian💎Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
OrianaOleander OrianaOleander
THIS. I have been wanting to run my own "d&d in the future" game! :O

I don't know how many games I can make time for, but this one has me highly intrigued, and I have TONS of character concepts already. Merry Chrimbus yall!
Old 12-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 299
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
How about Warforged Artificer from the new Eberron book? Might give that futuristic vibe/Android feel you were talking about.
There's actually a difference between Warforged and Android. Android is a new race, which I'll be posting information on in the next week or so. Sometime after the holidays. Warforged are ancient, more archaic versions of androids that ran on magical power. There aren't many of them left, and what few DO exist are pretty much all in museums or in some rich person's collection.

Artificer on the other hand is probably fine. I'll have to take a look at the finalized Artificer class to be sure, but it shouldn't conflict with the setting in any meaningful way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaOleander View Post
Merry Chrimbus yall!
Merry Chrimbus to you as well!

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 12-25-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3009
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Ok I’m intrigued, putting in a placeholder for a sneaky stabby type.

Recruiting for: What Lies Beneath - a Gothic Horror role-playing extravaganza
Old 12-25-2019, 05:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2730
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
I'm here to stake my claim as well. If allowed, I'd like to try for a wizard that uses the Technomancy Arcane Tradition from this UA
Old 12-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihinka View Post
I'm here to stake my claim as well. If allowed, I'd like to try for a wizard that uses the Technomancy Arcane Tradition from this UA
I'm willing to consider it. Go ahead and write up the app and we'll see how things turn out.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
jr1v3
Can I post a character even though I'm a new member? I think I have a character in mind for this setting. A Human artificer...
Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Guan Yin
right-aligned image
Name: Guan Yin
Class: Wizard (Technomancer?)
Race: Human V

Background:

Personality: Guan Yin is a very complex individual. Growing up the way she did. Going through all that she did. All of it has marked her in one way or another. She can be gentle, warm and caring with those in need. But cold, relentless and uncaring towards those who would cause harm carelessly. Guan Yin's years spent with Melinda taught her to be responsible. Firstly with yourself and then with others as well. It was what ultimately helped Guan Yin find her calling in life.

But even though Guan Yin managed to pull herself from squalor, she is constantly reminded of the price she had to pay to get to where she is. The faces of the people she's killed or of those who's lives she's ruined haunt her constantly. Enough to test her will for sobriety on a day to day basis. After all, an addict never stops being an addict. Guan Yin will sometimes withdraw within herself and seek refuge in the solitude when life and the expectations she places upon herself become too much to bare.

She is not a cheerful person by any means. But she is one who has mostly found peace with what she'd done and who she is now. A deeply compassionate individual willing to give life and limb for the downtrodden, the oppressed, but most of all - the abused.

RP Sample: Mood music

You can be free of them. They needn’t pull your strings anymore. I was one too, once, and I came out on the other side.

The words bounced around Guan Yin's mind as if struggling to be set loose. Spoken! Except they already were. The technomancer remembered it as if it had happened but a few minutes ago. The sleepless night. The assassin! And the words. They said the pen was mightier than the sword. And that night Guan Yin had proven the concept in a way. Rather than with pen and sword, with words and daggers. She hadn't been afraid of dying. It was not why she'd called out to her would be assassin. More so because she'd glimpsed herself in the empty eyes of the woman sent to kill her. A tortured soul that had known only pain and misery. And layered on top of it all the haze of drug abuse.

Guan Yin knew it all well. Too well. And so she'd called out. The sound of daggers hitting her floor had been music to her ears. Not because the assassin had yielded to her. Never that! But because this woman, whoever she was, had made the first conscious choice in her life. Guan Yin knew the sense of freedom that came with it. So vastly huge. So overwhelming! But before she knew it, the assassin had disappeared back into the night from whence she'd come.

And Guan Yin couldn't help but worry. When it had happened to her, she'd had Melinda to guide her. But without someone to walk with you on this path of freedom, one who'd only known blind obedience was doomed. It was understandable why the technomancer was desperate to find the woman. But when she'd finally discovered her identity and tried to offer her further help, Alyssa had completely shot her down. Of course, Guan Yin had expected this and wasn't about to give up. After all it was what she did. Pull street rats from the grasp of gangs and cults and put them on the straight and narrow. But Alyssa was no kid. Already an adult she'd had longer to get accustomed to this miserable state of being. She'd become institutionalized within her own pain and misery. And the drugs were no help either.

Guan Yin would have to pull from every experience to help this woman. Just like Melinda had once done for her. Bring her back from the brink. She didn't know how accurate that analogy would turn out to be.

The sight of Alyssa's limp body dangling from the noose had almost been too much for Guan Yin when she'd broken into Alyssa's place fearing the worst when no answer had been forthright. But the woman was nothing if not resilient. Surviving B!t R8 hadn't been easy by any means. And she'd witnessed a lot of her fellow street urchins take their own lives at the chance of escape. Even if in death.

"God damn it, no! I won't allow it!" Guan Yin had declared with finality, springing into action. The rope had snapped with the flick of a wrist and Alyssa's listless body had poured into Guan Yin's awaiting embrace. The technomancer was efficient in her actions. She'd had to pull kids from the grubby hands of death not once or twice when they would OD. But this somehow felt more... personal. And in a way it was.

As she performed the CPR with practiced easy, she kept praying she wasn't too late and Alyssa's brain hadn't been deprived of oxygen for too long. "You're one hundred years too young if you think you can pull this one on me, kid!" Guan Yin compressed Alyssa's chest with desperate strength, feeling a couple of ribs giving in under the forceful pressure. Better cracked ribs than dead! "Breathe, God damn it!" The technomancer shouted after delivering the breath of life that would finally pull Alyssa back from the brink!

Last edited by ihinka; 12-28-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:44 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1v3 View Post
Can I post a character even though I'm a new member? I think I have a character in mind for this setting. A Human artificer...
By all means. It just means that the RP/Writing sample is going to be all the more important for you.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3009
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Note: This is a joint application with ihinka, it’s our intention that the two characters know each other before the game starts as established in the personality and background sections. Hope this is ok as far as the game goes.

Basic InfoName: Alyssa
Class: Rogue
Race: Variant Human

So insignificant,
Sleeping dormant deep inside of me,
Are you hiding away lost,
Under the sewers,
Maybe flying high in the clouds.

BackgroundGood morning Starlight City.

Whether it was the city's true name or not was irrelevant. It was what Alyssa No-Name called it, and Starlight City it would remain. In her darkest moments, even when she slid the noose around her neck, until her very last breath, Alyssa would always associate the city with the dark sky and the stars that twinkled high on above. It reminded her that no matter how far things went, no matter how far she fell, there would always be beauty somewhere.....someplace.

If Alyssa had ever been given a surname, or a family name of some description at some point, she never knew it. Fundamentally that was who she was. A nameless, hopeless piece of trash picked up from the gutter by someone more powerful than she could ever hope to be. A man who wanted nothing more than a plaything -- a puppet to prove his own power and dominance over. It was only at this man's behest that Alyssa was given a name, and although most of her early life was shrouded in the shadows of amnesia, the name was one of the only things she held onto. It was a mark of strength of sorts, a mark that said to her "I have a name. I am a person." In her darkest moments it was something to cling to -- a shield against the shadows that always seemed to encircle her.

The only other memory from her teenage years she clung onto was gutting her nameless benefactor like a fish, although if anyone knew enough about her past as to ask her why, Alyssa wouldn't have been able to tell them.

Perhaps in this, the smallest mercies were the most powerful ones.

Years passed by, one after the other as a meaningless blur. Alyssa was nothing if not resourceful. She learned to survive in Starlight City, and survive she did. Her methods of survival mattered little to her, only the end result was important. The city would eat you alive unless you fought back, and so Alyssa did fight. She stole, she cheated, she murdered. And although she did not take any pleasure from her actions, she had already determined that she would not give up.

Not in this, not in anything.

It was only a matter of time before she drew the wrong sort of attention to herself.

Although Starlight City had a government in name, it was fair to say that in truth the metropolis was ruled by corporations that were interested in one thing only -- whatever profit they could line their own pockets with. One night, Alyssa chose the wrong target. She attacked a member of the wealthy DeltaSafe Corp, a security and body-guarding corporation. Knocking the man unconscious and stealing his money, Alyssa made away with her ill-gotten gains.

They tracked her down the same night. Alyssa was no match for a contingent of well-armed and trained soldiers.

Alyssa was brought back to the DeltaSafe offices, and there she was whisked away to a secret underground facility......

The Alyssa that came out was still alive, but she had been "modified". Gone was her independence and her fire. Whatever made Alyssa Alyssa had been taken from her - replaced with a sense of duty and obligation to the DeltaSafe corporation. Here was the perfect bodyguard for them to hire out -- someone who was physically strong, but also meek and compliant. Someone easy to manipulate. To ensure her compliance, the corporation injected Alyssa with drugs. The mind-altering substances made her easier to control -- in the unlikely event that she would regain some part of her old personality, another injection would ensure that she remained pliable.

This would continue over the span of the next few years. And as those years passed, the more Alyssa would develop an inherent need and appetite for the drugs that the corporation would continue to feed her.

One day though, the pitch changed.

Instead of being sent to guard someone, or something, Alyssa was sent to kill a Technomancer by the name of Guan Yin. She didn't question her orders or ask why. She never did.

Alyssa located her target easily enough. That night, Alyssa stole into Guan Yin's apartment easily enough, unnoticed as she always was. It was to her surprise though that she found the Technomancer awake that night. It was to her further surprise that instead of just killing the other woman, when Guan Yin implored her to stop and listen, Alyssa stayed her hand, and listen she did.

It was that night Alyssa left the service of the DeltaSafe Corp, well aware of what it meant for her.

The corporation would stop at nothing to bring a rogue agent back in.

PersonalityRaw and tempestuous, Alyssa is very much the sum of her experiences. Although she is not naturally malicious or vindictive, she has been shaped by what she has been through. She is very much a product of violence and hatred, and she has lacked the guiding hand and mentorship of someone who cares for her for most of her existence. To her the end very much justifies the means, whether it involves violence or not to achieve her goals.

The Alyssa of today is a confused amalgamation of all those that have sought to manipulate her over the years. She is someone who has become dependent on the drugs that have been used to keep her compliant with DeltaSafe’s wishes and without those drugs she has become just another lost soul destined to be swallowed up by a city that has claimed so many other lost souls over the years.

Or at least she would have been without the kindness and wisdom of Guan Yin.

And although Alyssa could not explain why it was that she had stayed the killing blow that night as Guan Yin implored her to turn from the dark road she was already far down, perhaps it could be surmised that deep down inside the lost woman, she recognised those words as truth.

That this was not the life she wanted for herself. That perhaps she was tired of being used as she had been used by so many for so many different things.

Maybe, just maybe Guan Yin offered her something that secretly she coveted — had always coveted. The ability to take her own destiny into her own hands and be her own person.

It was a road that would be long, treacherous and painful.

Alyssa is prone to uncontrolled explosions of anger, sometimes leading to violence if someone pushes her too far. Yet, under Guan’s tutelage, she seeks to curb the worst excesses of herself. She seeks to control her own chaotic nature, and break free of the drugs that she has become so dependent on.

It is a fight that has, and will continue to have, many ups and downs, yet one that, at the end, will give her that which she has never had before.

Her own identity.

RP SampleShe sat in the room alone. It had been seven days and seven nights since that fateful encounter. Seven days and seven nights since she had forsaken that which she had always known. The corporation were safe, they were reliable, and they were secure. They had always given her everything that she had needed.

It was with a shiver that she ran her hands up and down her arms. It didn’t make sense. None of it made sense. To turn her back on the only family she had ever known and for what? The word of a complete stranger. Her mind cast back to that night.

Why?Why?Why?Why?Why?WHY?

Freedom. The power to be in control of one’s destiny. A nebulous concept at best, one that offered nothing save ghostly ethereal strands of a vague promise, on that did not materialise into anything tangible that she could see or understand.

It needn’t be this way, she had said, and with the knife poised in the air she stayed the killing blow.

Alyssa’s hand trembled.

You can be free of them. They needn’t pull your strings anymore. I was one too, once, and I came out of the other side.

Was it possible? Was what she said true? Could she be.....free?

The knife fell from nerveless fingers. It hit the floor with a clatter.

Love is just a stranger that will pass by,
Devils look like angels as they catch my eye.

The echo of the knife clattering to the floor not only shattered the memory as her mind was cruelly transposed from a dream back into cruel reality. A life she had had once.....it was not a life she was part of anymore. She had walked away from it all and from everything that she had once know. The belief of what she had once desired to be part of shattered like the nightmare built around illusion that it truly was.

The reality had wrapped its arms around her, trapping her in its deathly cold embrace. Alyssa had always prided herself on her ferocity, on her indomitable will to survive where most would have given up. This time though she was tired. There was no ferocity, no will, nothing. There was no hope for her to cling to. There were no false ideals for her to build her life around, or so she believed. She had shut Guan out. She had no desire to listen to her words anymore — offering her a different life when the only life she could see was one of the void, a cold emptiness to encase herself within and wish that once.....just for once, she could hold something in her arms and feel its warmth....and know there was something other than a vast, swirling darkness.

Alyssa looked upon a world of dark shadows and false promises.

She accepted in her own heart that angels were devils clad in an illusory visage.

Dark whispers echoed in her thoughts. Whispers originating from the deepest, darkest recesses of her enshrouded heart. And Alyssa, no longer spellbound by an illusory hope that had brought her here, to the cusp of this empty nothingness.....this time she listened. There was little worth in living a lie, and watching as the world was slowly bled of its vivid colours into a silhouetted tapestry by shadow-shrouded eyes. There was little worth in persisting a falsehood as the grains of sand trickled down in the hourglass and the days bled into each other as part of an empty vacuum.

So when Alyssa drew the noose around her neck and stepped into the niveous jaws that beckoned her forth into the blissful sleep of oblivion, little did she herself realise that this was merely the first step of a new journey.

And the shadows whispered to her as she died, as the hempen rope slowly asphyxiated her.

Recruiting for: What Lies Beneath - a Gothic Horror role-playing extravaganza

Last edited by Nade; 12-27-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
And with the addition of the RP Sample my application is complete.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1449
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie

Name: Evelynn Smith (aka Zero Input)
Class: Warlock. Pact of the Blade. Otherworldly Patron: Ghost in the Machine. (Known as 0Proxy)
Race: Human (variant)

Last edited by voodoozombie; 01-12-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer

Last edited by Classic Gamer; 01-05-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I just realized I forgot to add the personality resource... here is the link. It's also been added to the original app. http://www.ashami.com/rpg/
Old 12-27-2019, 01:36 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Vailee Vailee
Hiya, I am real interested in this kind of setting and giving characters a futuristic twist. I have a couple of ideas I'd be interested in running by the DM before I write them up. An android wild mage sorcerer who's fault wiring is the reason for their wild surges. The other is a more martial class cyborg who's weapons would be part of their body. That's probably more the idea I'd need the DMs opinion on as it might need more than just a futuristic reskinning for what I'd like.