DnD5e Circuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 02:31 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 480
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vailee View Post
Hiya, I am real interested in this kind of setting and giving characters a futuristic twist. I have a couple of ideas I'd be interested in running by the DM before I write them up. An android wild mage sorcerer who's fault wiring is the reason for their wild surges. The other is a more martial class cyborg who's weapons would be part of their body. That's probably more the idea I'd need the DMs opinion on as it might need more than just a futuristic reskinning for what I'd like.
So... while an android mage is technically possible, I'd probably suggest waiting until I've done the full write-up of the race before going that route. You may or may not end up liking how androids work with magic.

A monk is almost entirely doable though. Having weapons as a part of their body gets into cybernetic enhancements, which player characters wont start with, but you can get those sorts of upgrades done later on in the story.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:49 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, android race listing is now up and available at the bottom of my opening post for you to read. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to bring them up here or PM me at your leisure. The race is a modified version of this homebrew race so I can't take ALL the credit for what's there, but it has been modified to better fit my setting, and interact with some of the mechanics I'll be including. As with just about everything that I'm homebrewing for this game, the mechanical details are subject to change if I find that something is too overpowered or entirely underwhelming.

Planning to do some setting details tomorrow, specifically about the starting location for the game. Might take me until the end of the week to finalize everything. Thanks for being patient!

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 12-27-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1377
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
This application is a follow-up post to a "placeholder" earlier in the thread.

Cristoff Sylvaranth
Character Sheet. I have not created one in RPGx. This link is to DNDBeyond. )
  • Name: Cristoff Sylvaranth
  • Race: Half-Elf
  • Class: Fighter (I'm aiming to be an Arcane Archer at level 3. I'm also considering multi-classing as a Storm Sorcery sorc.)
  • Alignment: CG
  • Background: Noble
Character Appearance:
Cristoff is not physically strong, in fact he appears to be somewhat frail. He favors the elven half of his heritage, with very fair features. He would like to grow a beard to emphasize his humanness, and hide his fey youth. But he is unable to achieve a full beard.
[*]Character Personality: Cristoff was raised with wealth, the son of a famous mother and father. He was a tabloid celebrity child, pursued by paparazzi. He often feels that his wealth and privilege is undeserved, and that he is unworthy. He is resentful of his mother's reputation as a hero. If they all only knew the
truth of what she is.
He feels the need to prove himself. He feels the need to treat common people with more respect and care than his mother does. At the same time, he is secretly proud of his noble lineage, and at some level believes he is superior to others. One day he will prove it to everyone.
  • Two Traits
    -Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above others. We all have the same blood.
    -My favor, once lost, is lost forever.
  • One Ideal
    -I must prove that I can handle myself without the help of my famous mother.
  • One Bond
    -One day the people will see that I am no less a hero than my mother.
  • One Flaw
    -I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.

Leaving Keyleth's TowerCristoff Syvaranth bares a human's first name, but his surname is that of his famous mother, Keyleth Syvaranth. Keyleth is a powerful wizard. Her power is legendary. Many tales of her exploits are well known. She has defeated dragons and ended wars with her power. She is rarely to be found in the wizards tower that she keeps in the Elven capital. She journeys throughout the cosmos by arcane means, seeking adventure and fighting for causes that catch her attention.

His father is Simon Mallard. Mallard grew up as a boy genius, and attended the best universities when still just a teenager. He dropped out to form a technology company. By the time he was 30, Mallard was a billionaire.

Cristoff is the product of a short-lived tabloid romance between the powerful elven wizard, and the human technology titan. When Cristoff was a mere 6 months old, Keyleth resumed her adventurers life, returning to the tower only for visits that were rare and brief. When he reached adolescence, Cristoff's mother briefly tried to begin training him as a wizard. But he lacked talent for the study of magic and this disappointed her greatly. Though his mother was a widely beloved hero, he knew her to be cold, distant, and calculating. In truth she cared only about her knowledge of arcana, and using it to gain fame and fortune.

Simon Mallard is even more distant a parent to Cristoff. He would occasionally use the boy as a photo opportunity, but the two have no real relationship at all.

The boy was raised in the tower with wealth that could provide for his every need. The staff of the tower served as his parental figures, particularly Captain Ott Wolfsohn. Wolfsohn was the captain of the guards, a human hireling. Wolfsohn was a veteran of a human naval fleet. He once commanded a ship involved in one of Keyleth's adventures, and she offered him a job upon retirement as a reward for heroic service.

Though wealthy and comfortable in Keyleth's tower, Cristoff was bored and restless. He lacked purpose in life, and most of this efforts disappointed his mother. At 18 he decided to join an elite personal security company, where he trained as an archer. His father had contacts within the company, as he frequently used their services. Cristoff had learned skill with a bow from Captain Wolfsohn over the years. Unfortunatley, most of the archers in his troop were high elves. He was an outsider among them, and he lacked the discipline to conform to the demands of a mercenary unit.

After 6 months of struggling to fit in, he quit and returned home to Keyleth's Tower. Upon arrival he learned that Captain Wolfsohn was gone. By now, the captain was quite old. Though magical means could have extended his life, he was allowed to die. This was the inevitable fate of the human servants, resources were better spent on a new younger captain.

Angry and upset by Wolfsohn's death and by his mother's callousness, Cristoff has decided to leave the tower and never return.

Last edited by Stadiumite; 12-27-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I have now added a list of current applications and their status as far as I could tell. If I missed something or your application status is different than what I have listed, let me know.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1557
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Would the UA Modern Magic: Warlock, Otherworldly Patron: Ghost in the Machine be acceptable?
Old 12-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
Would the UA Modern Magic: Warlock, Otherworldly Patron: Ghost in the Machine be acceptable?
Sure. Already said yes to a technomancer, so why not a digital patron? One initial change I'd like to rule on though. Information surge can't be used to disable machines that are also creatures... like androids. This may be subject to change later.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1557
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
O.K. Makes sense for the machine creatures. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:32 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54
TheBoldBaron
@Mechaniacal: How do you feel about this Monk subclass http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...81&postcount=4

I understand it's homebrew but I personally feel it isn't unbalanced, and it placed 3rd in a peer reviewed contest of subclasses. I leave the finally decision up to you, but my monk's background will change slightly if he has cybernetic body parts compared to be 100% nanite free

Last edited by TheBoldBaron; 12-27-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:08 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoldBaron View Post
@Mechaniacal: How do you feel about this Monk subclass http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...81&postcount=4

I understand it's homebrew but I personally feel it isn't unbalanced, and it placed 3rd in a peer reviewed contest of subclasses. I leave the finally decision up to you, but my monk's background will change slightly if he has cybernetic body parts compared to be 100% nanite free
Eeeh... I'm a little iffy on that one, to be honest. It clashes with a few mechanics I'm wanting to experiment with in ways that could potentially unbalance a character with that subclass... Plus, monks already get immunity to poison at a later level, so the first ability at level 3 is actually just giving you the benefits of later levels much earlier than intended.

I'm gonna have to say no to that one, I'm afraid. I like the idea of a cybernetics-based monk, but I don't feel like a subclass is the way to go for that idea.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3544
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Model Name: Party Gnome 3 Special Edition with Custom Glitter Package

Past Name: Sally Sprocket
Personal Name: Spike (or so she tries)

Race: Android
Class: Rogue (Arcane/Technological Trickster)

Last edited by BinnFord; 12-28-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54
TheBoldBaron
@Mechaniacal: I respect your decision

Place Holder for Dragonborn Monk

Background: Acolyte

Trait: He is intolerant of other faiths and condemns the worship of modern technology

Ideal: Community "Ask not what can your community do for you, ask what can you do for your community"

Bond: He idolizes ancient heroes who achieved greatness before the convenience of modern technology, and measures his deeds against their while shunning science.

Flaw: "I ain't scared of no ghost"

Last edited by TheBoldBaron; 12-29-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, since apps seem to have died down, I'm going to set a tentative deadline of January 15th. Ya'll got to the middle of the month to finish and revise your applications to beat out your competition! Make it good, because there's already some stellar apps out there.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Queen of Pastries

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1474
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Hey Mechanical,

this sounds like a great game and from reading the discription I already have a couple of ideas. I was just curious if you would be ok with the rune knight or the swarmkeeper subclasses before I explore these ideas further

Last edited by cookieyummy; 12-30-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Either of those would probably be fine, at a glance.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:52 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Some initial world info is now up -- with some details on a starting location at the bottom. Let me know if you have questions.