DnD5e Circuits and Sorcery - An experimental 5e adventure - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1449
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Except for adding the optional RP sample, Evelynn is done.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 166
triedtherest triedtherest
Nathan is done too.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:15 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5719
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniacal View Post
As a note, magic does still exist. This includes divine magic like what a paladin would use to heal, so one wouldn't need a device to do it. That's not to say you CAN'T use a device to heal if you want, just that you don't have to use workarounds via technology if you have access to the magic.
First off, I am very interested in this campaign.

Secondly, I know you said we don’t have to use workarounds via technology, but could I if I wanted to? Because I also noticed that you said androids “don't cast spells the same way that a flesh and blood humanoid can. Instead, you use technology to achieve the same effect.” So could I make a human wizard but skin her as a programmer, with all her spells being technologically derived (say cantrips are simple programs she is familiar enough with to code on the fly, while preparing spells becomes more complex programs she has to sit down and code in advance)?

"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 299
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
First off, I am very interested in this campaign.

Secondly, I know you said we don’t have to use workarounds via technology, but could I if I wanted to? Because I also noticed that you said androids “don't cast spells the same way that a flesh and blood humanoid can. Instead, you use technology to achieve the same effect.” So could I make a human wizard but skin her as a programmer, with all her spells being technologically derived (say cantrips are simple programs she is familiar enough with to code on the fly, while preparing spells becomes more complex programs she has to sit down and code in advance)?
Firstly, on the surface, this sounds like a wizard with the Technomancer specialization, using technology as a medium to cast spells rather than as a tech-based alternative to spells. As I've mentioned for another applicant, this is fine and the Technomancer specialization is entirely doable. Androids just have devices embedded in their bodies that allow them to create the same effects, but without channeling actual magic, which is what that race feature is about.

That being said, the spells would still be considered magical, mechanically speaking. This is primarily for balance reasons -- Androids getting non-magical spells is actually a huge buff, even if it doesn't appear that way on the surface, and it's unique to android casters. I'd like to keep it that way, at least for the time being.

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 01-03-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:57 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
I see. I was looking to create sort of an engineer, more someone who accomplishes things through tech savvy rather than manipulating arcane energies. Is there room for something like that in your campaign or should I go in a different direction?

"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Being tech savvy is really something to be represented by a skill rather than a class. Using tech is something any class would be able to do as long as they were proficient in the homebrew Technology skill.

You could submit a class write up for me to review, edit, and approve, but that might take longer than simply taking another direction would.

Edit: I found this through a cursory search. I only briefly skimmed it, but that first option could be resigned into a very tech-focused fighter.

https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/...pdate.html?m=1

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 01-03-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:20 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
That looks like a fun class. Sort of a steampunk Iron Man blending tech and magic.
I was thinking of something that would be less of a front-line fighter and more or a support character- someone who can do some hacking or tinkering. Maybe something like this class here:

https://merovia2.obsidianportal.com/wikis/engineer

If you’re okay with that class (or something like it) then that would be my preference. If it seems too complex or doesn’t fit your campaign world, then my second choice would probably be some sort of Android monk: a mechanized super hand-to-hand combatant ala battle angel.

-Imveros
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Sure, that's fine. Same rules for any homebrew stuff apply; I reserve the right to make changes if I deem it necessary
Old 01-05-2020, 01:19 AM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Ok, now that I have added an official RP sample, I think my application can be marked as complete.

Of course, I am willing to clarify or modify according to the GM’s desire.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:37 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I'm never truly satisfied. Players should just add however much to their apps as they feel comfortable with, or as much as they believe will beat out the competition. Ultimately, the most interesting, best written characters are the ones I'll inevitably choose. So just write until you think you've got an interesting, well written character~

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 01-07-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
We're essentially into the final week now! I look forward to seeing what the finished applications look like.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 430
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Alright, I think my app is good enough now and can't wait to see who gets picked! Great setting and plenty of cool characters out there!
Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Character Application
right-aligned image
“Rylee Tanner”
Name: Rylee Tanner (& the Talking Toaster)
Race: Human
Class: Engineer (Mechanical Engineer)
Physical Appearance: Rylee is short of stature and small of frame, though much of her figure is obscured by her baggy, grease-spattered overalls. Her long copper curls are pulled back into a simple ponytail, though a few errant wisps refuse to be contained and tumble down in front of her face, forcing her to stop what she is doing and petulantly push them back behind her ears. Her soft, round, cherubic features and the freckles that dot them often cause others to see her as a child.

left-aligned image
The Talking Toaster bears no resemblance to an actual toaster (nor does he actually talk, other than communicating with Rylee through an unintelligible combination of beeps, whistles, and mechanical whirring). In reality he is a roughly humanoid robot. He is roughly humanoid only in that his body is composed of a central torso, a head (which includes his primary sensor array and central processing unit), and four limbs. However, there is no possible way he could be confused for a human. Though he certainly doesn’t reach the scale of a building-crushing giant robot, he is still taller than a regular person, standing upwards of 12-feet tall. His head is uniformly cylindrical, with a rounded top, giving it more or less the shape of an upturned bullet. Having no mouth, nose, nor ears, his only mode of facial expression comes from a round vector-shuttered telescoping lens and a set of multi directional antennae. Together, these are able to convey a surprising array of emotions. Beneath his head, Toaster has a large, barrel-shaped main body, with narrow, telescoping tentacle-like limbs ending in wider, cylindrical appendages. While some of Toaster’s internal systems are composed of techno-organic material, his exterior shell is entirely metallic. Most of this is constructed from an unidentified, super-hard alloy; however, in the course of Rylee’s repairs, some of his missing or damaged structures have been replaced with more common components, giving him something of a patchwork appearance

Background

PersonalityRylee is a bit of a country bumpkin. Some might say she was raised in a barn, but she’ll be the first to correct you.

“I was not raised in a barn. My family just happens to own a barn … where I was born … aaaand spent most of my formative years”

She is straight-forward, honest, and direct. There wasn’t really much use for lying in a backwater town where everyone knew each other and had a pretty good idea of everyone else’s business anyway. So, from lack of experience, Rylee is actually pretty bad at lying.

She is aware that others immediately judge her as a backwards redneck, and is therefore fairly uncomfortable with life in the big city and with city folk in general, and can become something of a shrinking violet in social situations. However, when she is in her own element, it is a totally different story. When dealing with machines and computers, she is completely confident in her abilities. This, combined with her direct nature and inexperience with social norms, can often make her come off as brash.

Toaster: With severely limited access to his memory banks, the Talking Toaster has the mind of an innocent child. He views the world with wide-eyed wonder because he is truly experiencing everything for the first time. He is fascinated and sometimes overwhelmed by simply beauty of seemingly insignificant things that humans take for granted, like the patterns formed by sunlight trickling through the leaves. As a result he is easily distractible. Though he shares an intimate bond with Rylee and cares for her deeply, he sometimes feels profoundly lonely, recognizing that there are no others of his kind on this planet and feels doubly isolated by his inability to communicate with any living being outside of Rylee.

Rylee and Toaster are both profoundly connected with each other. Each is very protective of the other in their own way. Rylee feels an almost maternal responsibility to guard the gentle giant from those who would seek to use and abuse his innocence, as well as those who feel he should be dismantled out of fear. The Talking Toaster feels indebted to Rylee and is willing to enact countermeasures with extreme prejudice against any who would put Rylee in danger.

RP Sample:

-Imveros

Last edited by rhaiber; 01-13-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1202
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
When are applications due by?

Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
End of day on the 15th. Still 5 days left.