RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 12:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2171
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Here is the current status:

PlayerCharacterRace,ClassStatus
Sirviantis none none Interested
OrianaOleander Lorelei "Lore" Nightshade ?, Wizard(Sword Binder) Getting close to having a character
Touketsu none none Interested
Kshnik Pieter Osmaplite Dwarf, fighter/brawler Accepted
jr1v3 Graham Farlione Human, summoner Accepted.
Cristal08Darkmoon Feraruillas Elf,Druid Interested
Sarsprilla none none Interested
Jenny Greenteeth Doc Anikka Human,Alchemist (Chirurgeon/Promethean) Interested

Last edited by CatCanCook; 12-30-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook

Jenny Greenteeth -- No, it is not too late to join. While I’ve had a number of people express interest in the game, if they don’t submit characters for consideration, I need to move forward with the players that do.

A Chirurgeon + Promethian alchemist is quite a detour from the core Alchemist class. It is a coherent character concept but it does sacrifice some sheer power. That's OK with me, but you will find a couple of your companions will naturally outpace you. I may need to give you some extra opportunities to nudge you ahead a bit.

If that is OK with you, you may try to proceed with the build.

Last edited by CatCanCook; 12-30-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Fix typos.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:07 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 430
Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth
Character Info

Name: Doctor Anikka Janssen
Race: Human
Class: Alchemist
Archetype: Chirurgeon/Promethean Alchemist
Traits: Precise Treatment, Historian, Heirloom Weapon
Drawback: Betrayed
Feats: Azerkan Born: Metropolitan, Medical Practitioner, Point Blank Shot
Background Skills: Knowledge (History), Craft/Artistry (Painting)

Companion Name: Rivka

Appearance: A pleasant looking woman dressed in neat, practical clothing, wearing spectacles. Does not wear armour or carry any weapon other than a belt knife.
Her companion could easily be mistaken for a child of ten were it not for her wings and sharp teeth. She is dressed as a child and resembles Anikka strongly enough to be taken for her daughter or sister.

Personality: Anikka often seems nervous or distracted, though can easily switch to being a focused professional when working as a physician. She dotes over her companion, Rivka, as a mother would her child.

Background: WIP

Last edited by Jenny Greenteeth; 12-30-2019 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Combat Utility
Old 12-30-2019, 04:29 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 430
Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth Jenny Greenteeth
I've got Anikka pretty much ready to go once her background is sorted. She's definitely more of a utility character than a combat character. If you want it should be fairly easy to make Anikka useful in a combat situation, maybe give her an Air Repeater as an Heirloom Weapon. The only real difference in background would be that she's expecting the frontier to be dangerous, which does make sense.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
jr1v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCanCook View Post
Jr1v3 --

Given the timeline I just posted, Sweetwater has only been colonized 5 years. Your family could have moved in when you were 15, you lost your family almost immediately -- and they you spent ages 15-20 completing basic training in the Mage Corp.

Can you work within that timeline?

Overall, the character concept looks workable and fills some unique functions in the emerging party. Welcome! Continue to finalize the character.

Since you are asking for feedback, there is a lot that could be changed to your English to come across as fluent. For example:

Graham is a pragmatic person that hold a dear importance in honor, dignity and above all, Family. His wits, intelligence and perseverance can be easily overturned when you know his kind good heart and his self-sacrifice in means to help others, all fueled by the helpless feeling he experienced as child.

Graham is a pragmatic person that holds as of dear importance honor, dignity and above all, family. His wits, intelligence and perseverance can be easily overthrown when his kind, good heart observes an opportunity to self-sacrificially help others. His deep compassion is fueled by the feelings of helplessness he experienced as a child.

Generally, English verb tense and correct use of determiners (a, the) are common challenges.

You capitalize some words oddly; generally only capitalize proper nouns (the name of a specific person, place or thing.)

Anyway ... don't worry about language too much. Have fun, keep practicing and learning from others.
Yeah, 15 works for me. I will change to that timeline. About the character concept, I thought the to make some support/ranged character with a damage dealer/tank melee but I am thinking seriously to get some levels in investigator sleugh (like 2 or 4) for rp and utility purpose but in social skills situations while my eilodon could do the scout work. Like an underminded rogue combination.

About the english, yeah; yours sound better. I have so much to learn of you but I will, you don't jave a problem if I copy (steal) your writing style, do you?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Jenny --

What is the source for "Medical Practitioner"? Point me to a link.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3811
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
The source, I believe, is in the steam punk document.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Mana regions

Spell and supernatural ability power is limited relative to vanilla Pathfinder. Spellcasters will begin to really feel a geographical constriction on their peak abilities around the 11th level. Spell ability and supernatural ability uses recover at different rates depending on one’s proximity to mana sources.

Mana arises in upwellings, and collects around the upwelling in a pool of radiance. Within the pool, the only entity that can survive is a Power, a mortal who has ascended to a demi-god like status. The strength, sanity and longevity of a Power arises directly from the number and ideological integrity of the Power’s worshippers. Without sufficient worshippers, Powers always die.

The mana in a pool of radiance flows away from it in underground ley lines, typically initiating in four directions separated by 90’ degree angles. Ley lines flow approximately downhill remaining usually about 100’ underground. Rather than directly following the land contours, ley lines bend in smooth gradually arcs, taking as much as 10 miles to make a 180 degree turn.

Ley lines cannot come near each other, except at exact right angles.

Ley lines encounter “resistance” if they go uphill, or approach water masses, or flow out into the open air (arcing like a sustained lightning bolt), or come near each other at non-right angles. So the topology of a ley network is generally in a global low-resistance state. An entire network of ley lines, if under substantial resistance, can instantaneously shift to a lower resistance state. This is rare -- and typically happens on a time span of millenia. Such ley line shifts or “mana quakes” happen only after large earth upheavals, or when gradual erosion of the earth reaches a tipping point of destabilization.

Most arcings occur when a ley line crosses into an underground cavern, or flashes across a crevice. However, if a ley line were to pass out of a cliff into open air, it would bend gradually downward at maximum rate of curvature until it reaches the earth and resumes its normal 100’ depth underground course. Such a long, sustained arcing puts the ley network under high stress.

Many ley lines roughly parallel major rivers, as like water magic prefers to flow downhill but it resists directly approaching water except as a terminus..

Material touched by ley lines becomes molten, quasi-living, and in a constant stage of flux. Blundering into a ley line is potentially fatal for most beings other than Powers. If the ley line shifts away from its path, the former path becomes a tunnel filled with valuable metals and crystals, but also strange and deadly magical life and unlife forms.

If three ley lines would cross, two do so in a horizontal “+”, and the third ley line dives deep approaching the intersection, then rises vertically up through it, creating a fountain. Such rare formations have very elevated magic levels, but there is insufficient for a pool of radiance or host a Power.

Ley lines eventually reach the sea or other substantial body of water, where their mana dissipates. The immediately proximate area is a high magic zone.

ZoneRangeSpell Level CapWeapon or Item capSC level & spell DCRecoveryAdvanced Tech use% of Land
ImmersionTouching pool or ley line910+324x (1 hour) --
Primal1000’ of a pool of radiance or mana fountain910+26x (4 hours) --
Extreme1000’ of a ley line arcing910+24x (6 hours) --
Very High1 mile of a ley line, or 5 miles of a terminus or fountain89+23x (8 hours) 2%
High10 miles, or 2500’ elevation78+12x (12 hours) 5%
Normal (zone 0)50 miles, or 5000’ elevation67+0Normal 50%
Low (zone 1)100 miles, or 7500’ elevation56-11/310%15%
Very Low (zone 2)150 miles, or 10000’ elevation45-11/1040%10%
Null (zone 3)200 miles, or 12500’ elevation32----75%8%
Anti (zone 4)250 miles, or 15000’ elevation--------100%10%

How do spell level caps work? A spell above the level cap cannot be cast from or into a zone above its cap. However, if a spell is cast on a person or object who then subsequently moves into a lower mana zone, and the spell is no more than +1 above the level cap, then it can remain active for up to 4 hours.

If a high level spellcaster is going to work in a lower magic zone, they may use their blocked high level spell slots to prepare or cast lower level spells.

How do weapon or item caps work? Magic items that are above cap will first lose their extra abilities (if any) so as to go back under cap. Next, they would lose their innate enchantment bonus. (In practice this is uncommon as it only happens in Null magic zones and a weapon would still be +3.)

Immersion. 5d6 damage per round, unavoidable unless one is a Power, or a candidate attempting Apotheosis, or one of a short list of supernatural beings such as a failed apotheosis. During immersion, any spell or supernatural ability use by anyone other than a Power is 75% likely to instead produce a primal magic effect (Concentration DC 20+2*spell level to resist); and even if successful, causes a wild magic surge.

Primal. Any spell or supernatural ability use by anyone other than a Power is Power is 25% likely to instead produce a primal magic effect (Concentration DC 15+2*spell level to resist), and even if successful is 50% likely to trigger a wild magic surge.

Extreme magic area. A spell is 25% likely to trigger a wild magic surge.

If one is not in a High (or greater) magic region, one is in a numbered zone. Calculate the zone number using (distance to nearest ley line / 50 miles) + (vertical elevation - 2500’)/2500’. Drop fractions.

Very high mana. Academies of magic, wizard towers, temples or other such locations are often constructed at very high mana areas. In civilized lands these tend to be points of strategic importance. Often, cities will form around them (if the topography otherwise allows it.) In wilderness areas, powerful magical creatures gravitate toward very high mana areas. About 2% of the landmass will be in very high mana areas.

Roads will often follow ley lines, and villages or towns may dot the path -- if water supplies permit. (Of course, many older roads are exactly where previous ley line used to exist but subsequently shifted away from.)

High magic zones (and greater) are about 5% of the landmass of the Realm. In High magic zones, spell casters can attempt Boost Casting.

Normal magic zones are about 50% of the landmass.

Low magic zones are about 15% of the landmass

Very low magic zones are about 10% of the landmass.

Null magic zones occur 200 miles away from the nearest ley line, as well as in high mountains even close to ley lines. On the mainland, Null zones are about 8% of the landmass. But every continent has a Null zone in its coastal oceans, before reaching the anti-magic zone of the deep sea.

Anti magic zones occur 250 miles away from the nearest ley line, as well as in high mountains. Anti magic zones are about 10% of the landmass. The majority of all oceans are 250’ miles away from land, so the Sphere’s vast water covered regions are anti-magic zones.

Some consequences of the geometry of magic:
* Sailors who ply the deep seas simply learn to rely of mundane means of navigation, sustenance and defense.
* Powerful wizards or spellcasters can be confined in prisons in anti-magic zone, and they are quite helpless. Azerka uses Brill, on the central plateau, as a place of confinement.
* Persons under powerful magic curses escape them by becoming mountain hermits or recluses, self-imposed lifetime banishments are common.
* The most powerful wizards or magic users tend to be homebodies. They prefer to stay in the major cities which build up around pools or ley line crossings; when they travel they tend to follow ley lines.
* Armies will travel or wage war being very conscious of the magical impact of terrain, each side trying to force the engagement to occur where it is advantageous to them. Azerka triumphed over its native foes in part because it had a superb balance between strong magic via the MageCorp, and strong non-magic via firearms and steam-tech. Careful force management under cunning generals proved to be worth everything.

Last edited by CatCanCook; 12-30-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Re: Medical Practitioner, got it!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Timelost Gunslinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1727
DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard
Hey, so I updated my application.

Two traits, a bonus trait for not having direct combat bonuses, and a bonus trait and feat for taking a drawback. All these little level 1 bonuses are cool :o Am I missing anything else? Do I need a longer background? I don't generally have a whole lot of up front info to share, but I want you to have enough to work with.

Your setting has so much information crammed in! Not saying it's a bad thing, but my campaigns are more like fairy tales by comparison
Old 12-30-2019, 12:42 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
jr1v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaOleander View Post
Hey, so I updated my application.

Two traits, a bonus trait for not having direct combat bonuses, and a bonus trait and feat for taking a drawback. All these little level 1 bonuses are cool :o Am I missing anything else? Do I need a longer background? I don't generally have a whole lot of up front info to share, but I want you to have enough to work with.

Your setting has so much information crammed in! Not saying it's a bad thing, but my campaigns are more like fairy tales by comparison
I thought you were going to travel with my character but I think even though they graduated together they took their own path that in the end, by a binded fate, ended together in Sweetwater town?
Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Timelost Gunslinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1727
DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1v3 View Post
I thought you were going to travel with my character but I think even though they graduated together they took their own path that in the end, by a binded fate, ended together in Sweetwater town?
Ooh, I do like that idea!

Lore would have some issues with authority, but only because deep down she wants to become a strong leader herself. In her youth before adventuring, I'm thinking she got in some kind of argument with an officer that nearly got violent (in a room full of glass cannon boys)... So instead of exiling anybody, maybe she's on some kind of 'indefinite scouting leave' because they know she's too valuable to lose? I would assume a half-orc from the badlands with [INT 18] is someone they'd never want to let out of their sights completely

So... maybe they send that well-behaved summoner that could always get Lore to calm down, to go... "check up" on her?

If y'all're likin' this, I'll add it to my background info

also, I just touched up an image I liked to represent Lorelei. I'm an artizmo~

Last edited by DeepFriedWyzard; 12-30-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: punctuation matters ;)
Old 12-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2491
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
I think I just need to finish my background for my application to be complete. Any feedback on what I've got done so far would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
jr1v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrianaOleander View Post
Ooh, I do like that idea!

Lore would have some issues with authority, but only because deep down she wants to become a strong leader herself. In her youth before adventuring, I'm thinking she got in some kind of argument with an officer that nearly got violent (in a room full of glass cannon boys)... So instead of exiling anybody, maybe she's on some kind of 'indefinite scouting leave' because they know she's too valuable to lose? I would assume a half-orc from the badlands with [INT 18] is someone they'd never want to let out of their sights completely

So... maybe they send that well-behaved summoner that could always get Lore to calm down, to go... "check up" on her?

If y'all're likin' this, I'll add it to my background info

also, I just touched up an image I liked to represent Lorelei. I'm an artizmo~
Well, that could be a extra reason to go to Sweetwater, maybe searching his own closure in the company of someone he fiand at ease it would be a good change of pace.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OK -- We can start after New Years with this party of five. Still waiting for admins to respond with the new game folder creation.

There are three other players who expressed interest earlier, and I'll still consider one or more of them if I get a completed character application. I gave them each a ping via PM.

Otherwise, we will be closed for other interested persons, until some indefinite future point were we grow or replenish the group.

PlayerCharacterRace,ClassStatus
Sirviantis none none Interested
OrianaOleander Lorelei "Lore" Nightshade F Half-orc, Wizard(Sword Binder) Accepted
Touketsu none none Interested
Kshnik Pieter Osmaplite M Dwarf, fighter/brawler Accepted
jr1v3 Graham Farlione M Human, summoner Accepted.
Cristal08Darkmoon Feraruillas F Elf,Druid Accepted
Sarsprilla none none Interested
Jenny Greenteeth Doc Anikka F Human,Alchemist (Chirurgeon/Promethean) Accepted

Last edited by CatCanCook; 12-30-2019 at 08:29 PM.