DnD5e What Lies Beneath - a Gothic Horror Murder Mystery - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 11:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3055
Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad Spinrad
Huxley - Application - WIP
Name: Huxley Galanodel
right-aligned image

Race: moon elf (PHB high elf)
Class: rogue -> Arcane Trickster path
Alignment: chaotic good

Personality: A lifelong mischief maker, Huxley's only motivation in life seems to be to have a good time. And get away with as much as he can in the process. The charlatan and thief seems to be perpetually amused, keeping a cool head even in the face of disastrous turns of events. He's curious, easily bored, bold, and comfortable on his own or as part of a team, provided the payoff is high enough in either coin or reputation.

Appearance: A taller elf at 5'11" and athletic, Huxley has pale skin, dark hair and eyes that flash between green, hazel and brown, depending on his mood. He favors muted colors of finely tailored clothes (when he can afford them, of course), layers that can easily hide small objects and tools and simple, elegant, and finely crafted jewelry.

Backstory: Born near the Aundairian capital of Fairhaven, Huxelion Galanodel displayed early aptitude for the arcane even for an Aundairian. Hoping to harness his gifts, his parents sent him to apprentice at the Arcanix. However, the boy's curiosity and rebellious streak coupled with his utter disinterest in the basics of magic, which he felt he'd already long surpassed in his own studies, soon got the better of him and he quickly settled into a life of forgery, theft, breaking and entering, and confidence scams with the intention of making a little extra coin, getting others to do his work for him, uncovering arcane secrets beyond his level, boosting his reputation as a daring rebel, or, often, just for his own amusement.

When he was inevitably caught, Huxley was thrown out of the Arcanix to the shame of his hard working parents. Rather than visit more shame upon his family, he left Aundair for the sprawling Breland metropolis of Sharn, insistent that he'd find a use for his talents. And find it he did, quickly falling in with a thieves' guild and picking up where he'd left off in Aundair, taking whatever high-profile heists or cons he came across.

RP Sample:

Last edited by Spinrad; 01-05-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Mary J'nishna
Race: Variant Human
Class: Barbarian (Storm Herald)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Sailor(Pirate)
Appearance A bewitching brown-haired beauty, with a perma-scowl and a scar that wards away even the most slimiest of cat-callers.
Short and lean in stature. Only glimpses of her smooth pale skin are the scars left behind by the battles she fought.
Her hair hangs shoulder length, a hat on top of her to complete her alluring features. Thick dark lips. Deep, dark eyes.
Personality - Angry. Slow to trust. Dislikes showing vulnerability. Brave, but rash. Has a keen eye for the mysterious and grimly subjects. Is incredibly loyal to what she considers her crewmates or tribesmen. Alcohol problems.
Flaw #1: Mary is an alcoholic
Flaw #2: Mary wanted a life of adventure but it's just an excuse for her to hide her fears of failing everyone expectations of her and is constantly switching roles.
Backstory:
Mary J'nishna was born on a barbaric seaman tribe, that would go off and pillage several harbor town's. She was raised to be the tribes shaman, but she didn't accept, wanting more in her life. Her mother, the current shaman disapproves of this behaviour. It is quite common in the J'nishna clan that they don't take kindly to those that don't follow tradition, but instead of killing her or put her in exile, her mother manage to convince the chieftain to leave her be.

This led to a lot of distrust of the other tribesmen towards Mary, and would often lead Mary to getting beaten by them for disobedience. That is until she heard of sea maruading pirates appearing near the area. Seeing this as an opportunity, she devised a plan to steal one of the tribes raiding ships and sail across the sea to join this pirates. Her plan was almost successful except for one thing, she didn't know how to steer a boat and was blown off course, she was then found by a wise old man. He thought her a bit on how to sail in order to find her way, but also taught a technique only he knows, teaching her a strange ability to control the weather around her. As soon as their done the old man told her some parting words, "The lily has turned red with blood as the 13th year cometh, a coming storm approaches.". To this day, she still didn't understand what he meant. Eventually Mary became a pirate and was quite a fearsome one but retired from that life once she dreamt of a strange place filled with mist and the suffering of the dead, this dream has occured several times and has made her paranoid. She used her wealth she obtained and gathered several books of the paranormal, she went through several haunted sites, and interviewed many churches. Due to these ventures she became infamously well known as an investigator of the paranormal.
RP Sample:
Mary was flabbergasted at what she found."Where did you get this?" she said to the strange boy who mysteriously appeared in her room,"Hmm, oh this! Why a simple map of this place is not hard to come by from where am from. But I would guess that it would be quite troublesome for an outsider like yourself to find Barovia." he says handing the map to Mary.

Mary was shocked to see that what she's searching for is right in her grasp and on how easy it was"I see, and I suppose this favor you speak of involves this map." the boy nods at Mary,"Yes, I want you to go on a venture to Barovia, to go their you must find a strange group of travelers called vistani and they'll send you on to Barovia. Your quite well known in the strange and spiritual, I think you can handle the job." the boy says with a malicious smile, Mary eyes him strangely,"Who are you exactly? And what am I actually doing?"

The boy smiles mischievously,"You may call me a Benefactor, and what I seek is a ring from the vampire that rules their. And trust me it's quite an adventure, and I assure you it's better then drinking until some scared townsfolk tell you of another red herring quest. Do you accept?" he says hands outstretching for a handshake, already knowing what the answer is. Mary hesitated for a bit, not sure to trust this stranger but after a while shake his hand, accepting the quest.

---

A few weeks later, it was a regular day for old farmer MacGregor, herding the usual cattle, tending the vegetations, and taking care of chickens. But today was nothing like any other day, no siree was today ordinary as a portal made of fire and brimstone appeared on his field. Old man MacGregor was shocked at what he was seeing, a normal person would of ran to the hills or to the local church and pray to whatever Gods they serve for divine protection. But not Old Man MacGregor, he was a man out of his time and would rather die fighting than hightailed it and run, so he grab his pitchfork and readies an attack. Fog and smoke started spreading around the fire like portal and Old Man MacGregor heard the most horrifying screams his heard in his lifetime. He prepared for whatever demonic forces lay within, then a shadowy figure in a shape of a woman appears and then the flames start to slowly disperse as the figure walk out of the flame, revealing a very frustrated lady wearing what looks to be a pirate attire."What in tarnation is going on?" MacGregor says to the woman cautiously, and pointing his pitchfork at her,"Look, I had a rough week lately and I don't have time to deal with this!! Now do me a favor and direct me to the nearest bar." Mary shouted, Old Man MacGregor was surprised at her outburst and just pointed her at the direction to the local inn,"Thank you! Next time I accepted a quest from a ****ing stranger." she mumbles that last part and heads to the tavern, completing her quest.

Last edited by GoombaJosh; 01-01-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:20 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 359
Aria Aria Aria Aria
I love murder mysteries! Posting interest for now, will have an application up within the next few days.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4387
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
What Lies Beneath - a Gothic Horror Murder Mystery Character Application: Theore LeDaer
left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Last edited by Theore; 01-09-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Question for you DM: If we select a scroll as our common magical item, and we happen to be playing a wizard, does this mean we may copy that spell to our spellbook? I've not actually gotten to utilize that ability before.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 628
Noisome Possum Noisome Possum Noisome Possum Noisome Possum Noisome Possum Noisome Possum
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Bromley Luciole
Race: Human
Class: Wizard (Necromancer)
Alignment: Neutral

Old 01-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4034
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theore View Post
Question for you DM: If we select a scroll as our common magical item, and we happen to be playing a wizard, does this mean we may copy that spell to our spellbook? I've not actually gotten to utilize that ability before.
Yes you may.

GM: Heroes of the Purple Waste: - an enchanted adventure in a faraway land of mystical promise
Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by nade View Post
yes you may.
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah
Old 01-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1374
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
For a while now I've had an idea for a character that doesn't fit particularly well in a combat heavy game but would fit really well into a roleplay game and I'd like to check with you before preparing an application. The character in question is a blind divination wizard who has spent time honing their other senses to replace their sight (mechanically by using the Alert feat and their familiar to counter combat disadvantage). They would act like a Seer, similar perhaps to the character Theresa in the game series Fable but without quite the same level of advanced prophesying.

Would a character like this be acceptable? Working within the D&D spell mechanics should prevent the character from being game breaking I hope.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
It certainly would be, go ahead.

GM: Heroes of the Purple Waste: - an enchanted adventure in a faraway land of mystical promise
Old 01-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I've added a thing, and a thing to this post here that I shall attempt to keep up to date. I have only put general and setting specific questions in the FAQ as opposed to individual character type questions.

Although I won't be giving individual reviews for the game, what I will do is try and give you all some pointers as to what I am looking for in the character submissions so as to maybe help you when building them.

As a general rule of thumb, I like to look for well-developed and three-dimensional characters. Characters that have both strengths and weaknesses built into the personalities that you provide. The other main thing that I will look for are any background hooks or plot hooks that I can bring into the game. As this is a gothic horror game and setting, the more you can give me on that side the better it will be for you.

When thinking about character flaws and weaknesses take these two examples:-

Flaw 1: "Auran is greedy and likes to steal."

Flaw 2: "Although Auran, on the surface, is devoted to his god, underneath he holds a small kernel of resentment and doubt that his god is worthy of his faith."

Both are flaws certainly, however the first flaw I would say is more superficial in the context that it is provided in whereas the second flaw immediately gives me something I can take into the game and exploit -- especially in a gothic horror environment.

Ultimately, if you can give me a balanced and well thought-out character, one that is deep enough for you to really get into when playing the game and one that provides me with some story or background hooks to take forwards then it will maximise your chances of selection.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
@gavins: Man, I'm applying with a wizard and even I am over here like "that would be such a good concept for this kind of setting."

Like, if I didn't make the cut in the end and you did, I would be thrilled for you because that sounds like a fantastic match. I hope you apply with the character, as I'd like to read what you have in mind. That exact kind of set up is why I love the forums - flavor over power gaming.

@Nade: Thank you for that update. When writing the RP post in mine, I deliberately left the stranger a total mystery in hopes you might be able to have fun with it. Which is weird to say, because by have fun with it, it likely means "your character is now in big trouble"

Last edited by Theore; 01-01-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
@Nade: So sorry for the double post. I got inspired by the update to delve deeper into an area of this character that peeks into a psychological hook to exploit. I mean, explore.

Last edited by Theore; 01-01-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:50 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
Lord Lord
Love the gothic mystery setting! definitely applying soon.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
Lord Lord
Bran Anderfrith

Name: Bran Anderfrith
Race: Human
Class: Twilight Cleric - Helm
Alignment: Chaotic Good

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Background:

Personality Trait:

I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.

Ideal:

Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others.

Bond:

Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind.

Flaw:

My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Physical Description: Average height, olive skin, muscular build, and short lightly salted black hair. His face is accompanied with a well-trimmed beard and diagonal scar starting from the bridge of his nose and ending just underneath his right lower jaw. He adorns chainmail, a charcoal tunic with Helm’s Symbol, and a black hooded cape. His upper extremities are covered by thick leather gloves while his feat are armored by boots plated with iron. trinkets, pouches, vials, his holy symbol, and a sizeable text all rest on his belts and straps as well.

Personality: Bran may not be outwardly teeming with joy, but he is far more content and friendly than he used to be. He remembers the wretch, crooked and corrupted that he was, and doesn’t want to return to that. Having said that, old habits die hard and at times he can come across as overly stern and impatient.

Character Bio: Bran Anderfrith is a former Infantry Swordcaptain of the Purple Dragons who fell deep into disillusionment after an abrupt death of his lifelong friend, shield mate, and secret lover. After his service to the Cormyrian crown was over he ventured aimlessly along the dragonmere, as a cutthroat, bounty hunter, and anything for anyone that would use his mace & Shield. A year or so into this bleak period he got wind from former imperial shipmates that his thought dead shield mate was still alive and enslaved by Zhentarimian fiends. In response, he used what resources he had to gather a small party and rescue his former lover. This ended in abysmal failure, unfortunately. His party was apprehended and consequently slaughtered, tortured, or worse. The love he tried to rescue was in turn killed in front of him as a double consequence. Then, in their practical cruelty, the Zhentarimian camp had Bran tortured and left for dead.

He would have died... he would have died if not for a venturing party that rescued him from certain death. He was nursed back to health by the traveling party and vowed to help them in their journey for a time. Along their journey, he found a deep kinship with a cleric who Anders credits for restoring a spiritually and emotionally broken man. After the party disbanded, Anders heeded the cleric's advice to accompany him on his voyage back to his temple. There he found a group of clerics, paladins, and warriors that called themselves the Order of Twilight. They claimed to worship an array of gods who ordained them to help the living any way they can. They must travel both in the light and dark to seek true and meaningful justice, light, and protection. They serve as slayers of monstrosities, abominations, evil spellcasters, healers for hire, priestly officials, reformers for the poor and suffering et cetera.

Enthralled with this order Bran used his martial skill under his clerical friend becoming something of an apprentice. Along their journey, he felt his heart and mind touched by the god Helm and gave his life and his service to become something greater than he had been. He had seen and inflicted enough pain in the world and wanted to heal and protect those around him. Thus, he trained and was eventually accepted in the Order and his now an adept Cleric of Twilight. With his new purpose, he left his old life behind and tries to bury it. It was thought that Bran Anderfrith had died along with the others and he tries to keep it that way.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

RP Sample: