DnD5e What Lies Beneath - a Gothic Horror Murder Mystery - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
Posting for interest. I'll have something up in a couple of days!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:56 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4387
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
Purchased more art for Theore from a friend who had an art sale!

App updated to include both custom pieces.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29474
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
I love me some Gothic Horror... Ravenloft is by far my most favorite campaign setting. As a runner of Gothic horror game, I find myself compelled to express interest.

Onward!

Cheers, Xian
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Professor Darius Blackwood
right-aligned image

Name: Professor (Lord) Darius Darkwood
Race: Human
Class: Rogue - Wizard

Physical Description: Darius is a dark haired man of average height and build and in most ways, unremarkable. The notable exception to this are his dark eyes which are alert, piercing, and in every way reflect the great intellect behind them. While he is most comfortable in his professor's garb, Darius can dress functionally, especially when he embarks on his journeys to expand his knowledge. Darius prefers black and white and on very rare occasions very dark gray for colors. As the situation will permit, Darius will be immaculately groomed and dressed. A well kept person is the sign of a well kept mind.

Personality:
Alignment (General Tendencies): Lawful Neutral

Ideal: "Knowledge is the purest power." Knowledge is the central point in Darius' Life, both in its pursuit and acquisition as well as its preservation. To Darius, knowledge is pure and inherently neither good or evil. Knowledge is but the means and independent of how it is employed.

Personality:
"It is the unknown we fear when look out into the darkness... Nothing more." All things are possible through knowledge and it illuminates and dispels ignorance, which Darius sees as the principle source of all strife and fear in existence. To Darius, once a thing is known or understood it will cease to be a source of fear. Therefore, seeking knowledge and understanding is the key to not being afraid. This is also Darius' core personality trait from which all else springs and drives him, Darius detests being afraid. The fear and terror he overcame as a child solidified this belief. Darius seeks to conquer fear through learning, the knowledge, and understanding. This need for control also manifest itself outwardly as a near compulsive need for organization, order, and cleanliness.

"There is nothing more interesting than a mystery. Reveal your secrets to me..." Darius has an insatiable curiosity and is fascinated by a mystery or the notion of an unknown phenomenon. Darius sees those things as puzzle to be unraveled, an explanation to be unearthed, or even better the discovery of new knowledge and understanding. It is this reason that Darius finds himself out of the university as much as he is in it and his willingness to take risk to satisfy his curiosity, because there can be no true gains without risk, albeit calculated risk.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome, and charitable views of people and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the world for one's lifetime." As an adjunct to the previous tendency, Darius has a near insatiable appetite for travel. While he does take time needed to reflect, properly conduct research, and commit his experiences to record at study, Darius believes that travel to be essential in both testing ones knowledge and gaining of new knowledge and perspectives. In that respect, despite the scholarly and outwardly sedentary appearance as a professor, Darius is a seasoned and adept traveler and survivalist.

"Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. The only way to do or achieve the impossible is to believe that they are possible." Darius believes that all things are achievable through knowledge and that one should not constrain themselves by the limits of their current knowledge. This is one of the driving reasons that Darius believes that a person should constantly seek out knowledge and experiences throughout their lives and constantly challenge ideas, dogma, doctrine, and their own perceived limits since, because of interaction, change is not just a possibility, but an eventuality.

"Emotions have their place, but it must not cloud our reason." While it may appear that Darius is cold and heartless, he is not. Darius simply believes rationality and reason are the best means to make decisions and produces the best outcomes. Still Darius struggles with this tendency the most, because deep down he has a kind heart and his conscience at times finds itself at odds with the cold dictates of pure logic, but tempers it equally with moral logic. The rational based moral center is perhaps one of Darius other defining character traits.

"My intellect set me apart. When faced with difficult choices, I know nobody whose advice might prove useful..." Darius has difficulty in trusting the judgment of others, especially those that he does not consider to be his intellectual peer. In spite of his outward veneer of indifference, Darius also feels his intellect is a gap between him and the majority of others, which often manifests itself as feelings of loneliness and a sense that very few "understand" him making it difficult for him to form close bonds with others. Darius stoically accepts this as a necessary sacrifice for the sake of his intellect and relentless pursuit of knowledge, but wishes it not to be so.

Background: Sage (Professor)

RP Sample (Impressions of other Characters): Complete... ish.

Other Samples:

"Bound by Law"

"The Horseman Cometh!"

Last edited by Xian; 01-14-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13245
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Game application - Done
right-aligned image

Name: Lerissa
Race: Tiefling of Glasya (variant from MToF book)
Class: Ranger (Hunter, archer)
Background: Criminal (highway robber)

Alignment: Neutral good (or at least she wants to be good)

Personality: Like many Tielfings, Lerissa has been rejected by the world and forced to live on her own as self-sufficiently as possible. She knows that at any moment, somebody could come looking for her and it won't be with good intentions. It breaks her heart because she really does crave Human contact, belonging, and acceptance. She tries to maintain a modicum of safety and weariness but often finds herself drawn to other people in a way that exposes her to danger (which can be as simple as her identify as a Tiefling being discovered). When she ventures into the city to trade or enjoy a warm bed, she knows that she's taking a big risk but can't help herself.
  • Trait 1: Self-sufficient. I strive to make sure that I can survive on my own as much as possible.
  • Trait 2: I enjoy watching people, celebrations, and festivals, even if I can't take part in them.
  • Ideal: People. Society doesn't accept me, so it's people on an individual basis that matters.
  • Bond: I killed and robbed many innocent people in my time as a bandit; I must find a way to atone for my sins.
  • Flaw: I crave intimacy and personal contact to the point where I will risk exposure to get it or act foolishly inappropriate.
Appearance: Lerissa tries to appear to be an Elven warrior, dressing in traditionally Elvish fashion and carries Elvish armor and weapons. She had a custom helmet made that exposes her ears and allows her horns to look like they're part of the helmet - at least at a distance. Her clothing is a mix of greens, browns, and blacks customary with wood Elves. When she activates her Disguise Self spell, it's typically to make herself appear as an Elf.

Backstory: Iados was a bit of a deadbeat dad to Lerissa, gone more than he was at home in search of money-making opportunities. Sometimes they panned out and he brought home a bit of gold or silver to help his bride and child get by. Often, Lerissa and her Half-Elf mother Anastrianna were on their own. Her mother found what jobs that she could, usually washing laundry and sewing. They got by the best they could but Ana told Lerissa at the age of 12 that the young girl would have to start doing things to help them make it. Not many people would hire a Tiefling girl so she began hunting (illegally). A few other hunters were kind enough to give her some advise and show her a few tricks and over time, she became pretty good at it. Out on her own, however, she wasn't prepared to deal with a couple of ne'r-do-wells that she happened upon. They easily convinced her to join their band of highway robbers as a much more lucrative opportunity to make money than hunting, which could be very hit-or-miss. The bandit leader Taman had only 2 rules: Pull your weight during ambushes and you get a share of the take. And, if you become a burden to the group, then you're exiled and on your own. Lerissa did find living and working with highway robbers to be a better life, in many ways. She had a community of people to live with, food, warmth, and even a few luxuries. But her biggest boon was when she collected on the bounty for Taman, though she had to part company with the group. Some of the bandits want her dead for betraying Taman. The rest wouldn't know the meaning of loyalty if it crept up and mercilessly tickled them. Since the parting, Lerissa has been on her own, trying to avoid her former bandits and make a living through more legitimate means.

Last edited by girlplay; 01-13-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6424
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
I'm interested.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:07 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you feel about UA? I'm interested in playing a Giant's Soul Sorcerer specifically.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4034
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
I am happy to consider UA on a case by case basis

GM: Heroes of the Purple Waste: - an enchanted adventure in a faraway land of mystical promise
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Nade,

I have finished up the impressions from the POV and voice Professor Darius Darkwood of the other applicant as an alternate to the normal RP sample. I will try to update it as new applicants enter the pool, but can't promise that I will be able!

@Team,

All are welcome to check out the impressions as well. Please just be mindful that this is just what Darius' impressions based on the limited information I was able to glean from current state of applications, so please don't be upset if there is something or detail that Darius may have gotten wrong. After all, he is only human.

Onward!

Cheers, Xian
Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tranquil
@Nade, is it a requirement for the character to have been an adventurer and/or to have made a name for oneself?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4387
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
@Xian: Always a favorite to read those - I love when DMs start off the games by having such inner thoughts typed up, and you went ahead well in advanced.

You also made me realize how many more applicants there actually were here than the first page table! It grew exponentially.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4034
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Yep, I’ve not updated the table....

@Tranquil it’s a requirement at the very least for the character to have done something notable that would have been sufficient to have drawn attention to themselves.

GM: Heroes of the Purple Waste: - an enchanted adventure in a faraway land of mystical promise
Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tranquil
Thank you, will craft the character accordingly.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Application WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Felix Allerion

Race: Aasimar

Class: Sorcerer (Giant's Soul)

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Personality: Felix cuts an imposing figure that comes off as cold and unapproachable. But he's actually relatively friendly, though a bit of a quiet soul. He can turn on the charm when he wants to though because he's an introvert it wears him out to interact with people for too long. He's a big teddy bear with a soft spot for children, possibly stemming from his own childish side. Though rare, his laughter is a warm, always genuine sound. The big brother type who always sees to the needs of others before seeing to his own. Polite and respectful to a fault, Felix will always use sir or lady when referring to people. This politeness even extends to people who are rude and don't deserve it, he fights rudeness with kindness. Which unfortunately can come off as passive aggressive, but he doesn't mean it that way. Felix is not a physically affectionate person, he doesn't like to be touched and is often made uncomfortable by what people would consider normal interactions. He tends to be too shy/embarrassed to mention anything though, he just deals with it. Felix has that quiet confidence about it that tends to bring confidence to others. Despite being able to lead if need be, he doesn't like to, preferring that the whole group make decisions as a whole rather than one person doing all the thinking.

Appearance: Felix is an intense figure, standing at about 6' 2" with a well built frame. He has piercing amber colored eyes and long hair that starts blue-gray at the roots and slowly fades to white as it gets to the tips. He has a bit of a harsh face, between the large X shaped scar marking the middle of it and a serious case of resting you know what face, he can come off an imposing and unapproachable. The scar on his face isn't the only one, his fair skin is marked with past battles and childhood recklessness. The one he's most proud of are the burns on his right arm. He isn't too picky about what he wears, as long as it is comfortable and sturdy. He is rarely ever seen without his long, black, leather, coat. Though he carries no visible weapons he does have a leather pouch that is always filled with a strange array of items needed for spell casting. He also carries a well used leather satchel that may or may not be stained with blood.

Backstory: Felix never knew his birth parents, as a baby he was abandon on the doorstep of his adoptive parents home in Neverwinter. They were expecting their first child, but couldn't just let this abandon baby die. So they took Felix in and gave him a good home. Felix became the oldest of four, all three of his younger siblings being girls. Though they weren't a wealthy family, they always had enough. It was clear from early on in life that Felix was a little different. His eyes were an unusual color and his hair grew in multicolored. But his parents didn't care about that, and neither did anybody else really. Felix wouldn't hear the word Aasimar until well into his teens.

When Felix was thirteen, his father was recruited for the never ending war around Neverwinter. Leaving his mother, three sisters, and Felix himself without a source of income. Felix took on that mantle and got an apprenticeship with a local merchant, though he had no desires for that line of work. It was supposed to be a temporary thing, but six months later they got the news that Felix's father had been killed. Felix stayed with the apprenticeship after that to make sure his family was taken care of.

RP Sample: During your adventuring career, you will have accomplished one notable act. That act can be anything you like, although it should be something particularly heroic and something that would have drawn attention to yourself. Be creative in this.

Last edited by ColorsOfTheHeart; 01-16-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 661
VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller VaultDweller
This is still a WIP, but here's what I have for my character so far. I'll flesh out the rest over the next day or so. Good luck to everyone!

Ralf Herberhold
right-aligned image

Name:Ralf Herberhold

Race:Human variant

Class:Ranger

Alignment: Neutral good

Personality:Ralf is a young man with very few cares in the world. He is a kind soul, and always tries to help out those in need. Because of his noble standing, this sometimes gets him in hot water with the rest of his family, for not all of them share his philanthropic view of the various classes of people.

Appearance:About 6 feet, he is strong but not overly muscular. He has close kept brown hair and piercing blue eyes. He usually has an inviting look on his face, if not a smile. Because he ventures into the forest often, he does not usually dress keeping with his station. Rather, he dresses in leathers trimmed with his family colors, gold and black, a sword belted to his right hip, a bow and quiver slung across his shoulder, and when he is out everything is covered by a dark brown traveling cloak.

Backstory:Ralf is the second son of a minor noble family in Waterdeep. His family has been stablekeepers for the Lords of Waterdeep going back several generations. Rlaf, however, has no interest in keeping up the family business, and as second born, he thankfully doesn’t have to . He spent his youth learning all he could of the areas surrounding his family home, and the outskirts of Waterdeep itself. In his wanderings, he saw how poorly some of the poorer folk were treated, and he made it his mission to help improve their lives however he could. This gained his family some favor and notoriety with the lower classes in and around Waterdeep.

RP Sample: During your adventuring career, you will have accomplished one notable act. That act can be anything you like, although it should be something particularly heroic and something that would have drawn attention to yourself. Be creative in this.

Last edited by VaultDweller; 01-13-2020 at 03:58 PM.