Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 715
AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ
Gotten the responses to the questions up on Malori's sheet

I have taken the Oath of Sangus. Will you?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4387
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
@fancyjellyfish

So InfamousDasher and I are mulling over our characters and we could use a little bit of insight from you to help make sure we aren't stepping on your toes or whipping up anything against the integrity of your world.

My partner is quite drawn to the air genasi, and would like to play a storm mage. I am leaning strongly towards following her in this since our applications are joined and creating an earth genasi (class to be determined but it will be following suit an earth based class, just like Dasher stuck with an air based one - Think PotA Barbarian of Druid of the Circle). Hers will be modeled after a human, and I am leaning towards my characters mortal background being a goliath or a human as well. (I won't lie, I have this silly thought of a giant and a boulder with an 18 CHA in my head as to how I might joke that he came to be...:P)

In your world, would it be unheard of for there to be two of these types of beings? Would you see a civilization in your world where mortals and elementals coexist? Or would there perhaps be a more secluded, self sufficient village where people like ours would be safer to live among each other, away from the distrust of other races? Is the pair just too unlikely in your setting?

Any insight will help us flesh out the backgrounds, and I thank you in advanced.

Last edited by Theore; 01-05-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:45 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3668
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
@fancyjellyfish Wood's app is updated and complete! I'd welcome any DM feedback if you've got the time! I'm eager to work Woodwind into the setting as best I can.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:50 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 480
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Ugh... Looked at two character ideas and neither are doable because they require content from other books.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:28 AM
Master of Revels

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 284
fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theore View Post

In your world, would it be unheard of for there to be two of these types of beings? Would you see a civilization in your world where mortals and elementals coexist? Or would there perhaps be a more secluded, self sufficient village where people like ours would be safer to live among each other, away from the distrust of other races? Is the pair just too unlikely in your setting?
The elemental chaos is tied very closely to the material plane. It's common for rifts to open and for things to slip through. A genasi would draw attention but one walking into town wouldn't make the local news. Those who find themselves stuck on the material plane do have a tendency to congregate in their own little communities. But those communities aren't necessarily isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniacal View Post
Ugh... Looked at two character ideas and neither are doable because they require content from other books.
What did you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
@fancyjellyfish Wood's app is updated and complete! I'd welcome any DM feedback if you've got the time! I'm eager to work Woodwind into the setting as best I can.
It looks really good! I love the idea of "flocks" of kenku.
Here's a question for you, what is Woodwind's greatest fear?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:44 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Fantastic insight, thank you!

Side question for you: I'm very likely coming in with a barbarian. Intimidation being bound to the CHA score innately has always rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, if you're someone who is intimidating someone with information and clever wording CHA makes sense, but feel like if STR isn't allowed to be used for it that the whole flavor of a giant earth man being able to freak someone out is just lost.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Theore; 01-05-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:29 AM
Master of Revels

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Fantastic insight, thank you!

Side question for you: I'm very likely coming in with a barbarian. Intimidation being bound to the CHA score innately has always rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, if you're someone who is intimidating someone with information and clever wording CHA makes sense, but feel like if STR isn't allowed to be used for it that the whole flavor of a giant earth man being able to freak someone out is just lost.

Thoughts?
At my table a character's stats do not in any way affect their appearance.
As far as Intimidation being a Charisma roll, Having an intimidating figure means nothing if you don't know how to use it. To actively BE intimidating requires knowing things like how to properly carry yourself and what to say.
Doing it any other way doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 480
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyjellyfish View Post
What did you have in mind?
The two thoughts were both Aasimar -- One is a Favored Soul sorcerer, who through some complicated -- and probably disturbing -- means is descended from a unicorn, rather than a proper angel. The second is a fighter/paladin, and a more traditional sort of Aasimar -- though perhaps a bit more on the quiet side.

A potential third idea was a sort of samurai type character... I'm just not sure if that'd fit as well as I might like.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 AM
Internet Abjurer
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
@fancyjellyfish

I'm glad we are on a similar page about stats and their effect on flavor.

I completely understand what you mean. When I have a giant slam his fists down and threaten someones life, it just feels a LITTLE strange using his CHA for that.

I'll work within those confines if that's whats asked of me of course, though I DO like this little burb about it - subject to DM choice of course, without saying ;P

"Similarly, when your half-orc barbarian uses a display of raw strength to intimidate an enemy, your DM might ask for a Strength (Intimidation) check, even though Intimidation is normally associated with Charisma." -PHB p. 175

Don't mind me, I'm just over here overthinking as I often do.

Last edited by Theore; 01-05-2020 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:43 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 715
AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ
I can help with character concepts, if you want(not meaning to say anything, just offering to help hammer out the exacts). My brain's just been cranking stuff out right now. I've considered making a list of like, barebones character concepts with some questions that could be used to personalize them, but I feel like that might be a little bit rude of me...or something. I dunno, just feels weird to do it, even though it might be helpful.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus. Will you?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Master of Revels

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniacal View Post
The two thoughts were both Aasimar -- One is a Favored Soul sorcerer, who through some complicated -- and probably disturbing -- means is descended from a unicorn, rather than a proper angel. The second is a fighter/paladin, and a more traditional sort of Aasimar -- though perhaps a bit more on the quiet side.

A potential third idea was a sort of samurai type character... I'm just not sure if that'd fit as well as I might like.
Aasimar wouldn't be a problem go crazy

Quote:
"Similarly, when your half-orc barbarian uses a display of raw strength to intimidate an enemy, your DM might ask for a Strength (Intimidation) check, even though Intimidation is normally associated with Charisma." -PHB p. 175
in the quoted situation of using a display of strength to intimidate, I would have that character roll an Athletics check with the intent of intimidating. Because the actual action the character is making probably requires that they successfully break something.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 739
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher
Hello again, couple more quick questions just to be able to solidify some flavor stuff:

1. My character receives the same language from 2 different sources. Would it be plausible to sub out the language learned from one and choose a different one? Such as, my character already knows primordial due to background, but it is also learned through being a storm sorcerer.

2. Are spells from other book sources be acceptable? Such as Lightning Lure: http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:lightning-lure
Old 01-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1435
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
This is a character from another game that reached 3rd level just as the DM decided to shut it down. I'd like a chance to continue playing her. I've been looking for a game to include her in for some time. The place names included in this application are from another game. I will adapt them if I am chosen to match your setting. Also, I'll have to re-work her ability scores to match your starting standard points.

Name: Ritter Quillen
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Warlock, GOO, Pact of Chain
Background: Guild Artisan
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Ritter Quillen

Name:Ritter Quillen

Race: Human (variant).
Profession: Warlock (Great Old One, Pact of the Chain)

Alignment: CG

Personality: I've tried to work the personality description into trait/ideal/bond/flaw below.
Trait: "I like to talk at length about my profession." Ritter is someone bookish from being raised by scribes and mapmakers. She loves to talk about documents that she has seen from her work. She is fascinated by them.
Ideal: "My talents are given to me so I can use them to benefit the world." Ritter feels quite fortunate to have encountered the Silvered Lady, who provides her warlock powers. She feels a duty to use those powers to help people,like her parents. And perhaps to avenge their deaths.
Bond: "The workshop where I learned my trade is the most important thing in the world to me." Ritter believes her parents professions important and noble.
Flaw:"I am quick to mistrust people." Having her parents murdered mysteriously has made it difficult for her to trust in people.

Description:
Pale skinned, dark haired human in her late teens.
Given a choice, she would prefer very dark clothes. Plain, working clothes. When faced with danger, she wears leather armor.

Background: Guild artisan - Scribe

Ritter's parents operated a shop in the merchants district of Telia's capital. They specialized in creating document, maps, etc. She learned the skills of a scribe at a young age. Document making is not without its risks. Sometimes a scribe is exposed to secrets that people are willing to kill over.

Ritter's great-aunt Rai (her mother's mother's sister) was an odd woman who lived by herself out in the forest,a fair distance away, along the closed border of a neighboring land. Aunt Rai practiced magic, and was generally shunned by common people. But Ritter loved her.

Ritter's parents were murdered a year or so ago. Perhaps in a botched robbery by a local gang, or perhaps for knowledge her father had acquired through his work. With no where else to turn, she sought out her aunt Rai for help.

"I'm going to introduce you to someone who has been a great help to me in my life. She will get you through this." said Rai.

Aunt Rai laid her hand on Ritter's forehead, and Ritter saw a vision of an aged women in a silver gown. The lady said to her "I will come to you in your dreams, as a teacher. Your aunt and many along your mother's line have been my students for many years. I will give you the tools you need to survive this trial"

Living in the forest with Aunt Rai was not really to Ritter's liking. She eventually returned to the capital, seeking a livelihood adventuring with what she has learned from Rai and the Silvered Lady. During her year in the forest she learned to move objects with her mind. She learned to inflict damage by attacking with frightening whispers. And most importantly, she learned to defend herself with a blast of magical energy.

Roleplay

Just a half day before, Ritter had bid a tearful farewell to her beloved Aunt Rai. For months they had talked about her returning to the city. Ritter was unhappy with the isolated life her aunt led in the forest. She wanted to be among more people. Finally the day had come.

Rai told Ritter to watch the old trail. Travelers and hunters used this route if they needed to reach Reywald through the forest. She was to watch for safe-looking travelers and follow them back to the city. This would be safer than travelling alone.

And she had done exactly that. Three hunters, two human men, and a boy. Probably a son to one of them. On a hunt deep in the woods for some sort of large game. They must have failed in their hunt, because they appeared to be empty handed.

The travelers tired before Ritter, and they began to bed down with a campfire off the trail. She stayed out of site, but found a safe place where she might get some sleep within earshot of the men.

She dozed off. And in the dead of night she was awakened. She looked to the campfire. She could see shadows moving across the flames in the distance. She ran to see what was there.

Goblins! Attacking the travelers.

By the time she reached the edge of the camp, the hunters had killed two goblins. But one of the humans was wounded badly.

The largest goblin had grabbed the boy. He shouted in the common tongue "Give it up humans. We have your child. Give us everything you have, or the boy dies!"

The hunters were frozen in fear. Not knowing what to do. Surely the goblins would kill them no matter what ransom they gave.

Ritter remembered what she had learned from Rai. She drew upon the power of the Silvered Lady, closed her eyes, and with her will created a song of fear in the mind of the big goblin. His face grew grim, he released the boy and began to run.

As the goblin ran, the hunters sprang to attack.

Ritter entered the clearing, and fired a bolt of purple energy at one of the remaining goblins.

As the tide of the battle turned, the goblins ran. Ritter stood before the hunters.

"We don't know who you are girl, but you saved our hides!"

Ritter wasn't sure what to say. "Its nothing. Just glad I could help."

She camped with the hunters until dawn, and then traveled with them to the city the next day. After a year in the wilderness, she was back in something like civilization, and looking for a way to make use of what Rai and the Silvered Lady had taught her. Perhaps she might even find the bandits who had killed her parents.

(This roleplay depicts Ritter at first level. In the time since, she has done much adventuring. The Silvered Lady has returned to her in her dreams periodically to teach her new spells. Most recently, she gained the ability to summon a Pseudo Dragon familiar.)

Motivations
Character: Though Aunt Rai lived in the forest very close to Telia's closed border with its neighbor, she knew little about what was on the other side. Rai was the rebellious sort, but strangely she always honored that border. In the time that Ritter lived with Rai she always wondered what might be beyond that border. Now given the chance at a paying job that would let her visit that forbidden land, she was eager to sign up.

Player: I loved this character in the original game that I created her for. I like the "Guild Artisan" origins as a way to think about the characters upbringing. I also like the idea of using the warlock class to build a sort of pointy-hat witch like you'd see in an old cartoon. I'm looking forward to see how this fair young girl grows into that as she gains power from her witchcraft.

Stat Block
currently studded leather armor. Ac 14
ritter quillen| warlock (goo) | level 3

hp: 21/21| ac: 13 | spell dc: 13 | spell bonus: +5 | speed: 30'

stats: str 8 (-1), dex 15 (+2), con 12 (+1), int 14 (+2), wis 10 (+0), cha 16 (+3)

languages: common, elven, dwarven

currently wielding: dagger 1d4

spell slots available: 2

spell slots used: 0

cantrips: 2 list: mage hand, eldritch blast

known spells: 1st: 2 list: 1st: Armor of agathys, dissonant whispers

known spells: 2nd: 2 list: 1st: Suggestion, Misty Step

note: - "observant" feat gives +5 to passive int and wis checks.

Familiar - PseudoDragon

Last edited by Stadiumite; 01-05-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
I'm just gonna put a placeholder here, if you don't mind.
Application
right-aligned image
Name:Erk Bargak
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Subclass: Champion

Background: Folk Hero
Personality:Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
If someone is in trouble, Iím always ready to lend help.
Ideals:Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. (Good)
Bonds:I worked the mine, I love the mine, and I will protect the mine.
Flaws:I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
Trinket:A rank insignia from a lost legionnaire.

Appearance:A male dwarven fighter standing just over 4ft tall and being quite stout at approximately 170 pounds. His rough exterior is accented by his dark eyes and long thick beard, ending with a braided hair that is the color of coal. Always in some stage of filth, Erk sometimes seems like he should be mining rather than on the battlefield, but when his combat prowess is observed, there is no question what his true skills are.

Backstory:Erk comes from a long line of miners. His father was a miner, his fatherís father was a miner, and so on and so forth. Either luckily or unluckily, Erk wasnít the sharpest tool in the shed, and this held him back from learning the great mysteries and wonders the mines possessed. Besides the industry of the dwarves, they were fighting a great war with the orcs over the mountains for which they made their home. While he wasnít a born miner, any idiot could be a soldier. Given the training that all siege soldiers faced, he was sent to the front lines. A surprise to his superiors and basically all of his fellow dwarves, the simple boy was a masterful soldier. He took to the lifestyle well and never disappointed in the heat of battle.

Why:It was for this reason that when the envoys from Telia came seeking a representative of the dwarves for saving a princess, they sent Erk. The details of the assignment were quite vague, but Erkís ignorance of politics helped him be as enthusiastic as a boy being told he was going on a grand adventure. Taking his gear, he sets off for Telia, answering the call of adventure.

Hobbies: Erk may not like to mine like his father but as a dwarf, he sure loves alcohol, especially ones from foreign lands. He loves ale so much he decided to make it himself as a hobby when his not bashing orc skulls.

Pets: If Erk where to ever have a pet, he would want a goat. But not an ordinary goat, he would want a strong mountain goat, with a thick and hairy beard like his master, and would stay by his side in the most dangerous situations.

Last edited by GoombaJosh; 01-07-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Master of Revels

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDasher View Post
Hello again, couple more quick questions just to be able to solidify some flavor stuff:

1. My character receives the same language from 2 different sources. Would it be plausible to sub out the language learned from one and choose a different one? Such as, my character already knows primordial due to background, but it is also learned through being a storm sorcerer.

2. Are spells from other book sources be acceptable? Such as Lightning Lure: http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:lightning-lure
If your character choices would give you the same language twice you can substitute a different language.

Spells from other material as long as you keep that link handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoombaJosh View Post
I'm just gonna put a placeholder here, if you don't mind.
I don't mind one bit, I am very pleased that there is so much interest in my game and i really appreciate how responsive everyone has been.