Go Back   RPG Crossing > Announcements and Staff Rooms > Announcements
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 09:10 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26395
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Happy New Year and best wishes for 2020!

Happy New Year And Best Wishes For 2020!

right-aligned image
2019 was a challenging year for many of us, but for me, at least, it ended pretty well. I hope that you, too, spent the final days of the decade in a good place and with good people. Personally, I've been able to spend good time with family (including making some progress on our Curse of Strahd campaign!) and friends. I even managed to meet up with Admin Ronarscorruption for a Pokemon Go excursion that lasted until we were both too cold to continue (this did not take long; it was very cold.) In the past month on site, I spent lots of good time in the welcome threads (thank you to everyone who contributes there, and who runs the NPSGs, where almost every newcomer seems to be directed!), staff threads (that's one dedicated bunch; we are really lucky to have such a great group of people looking out for our community) and elsewhere on the boards. We even did a real time session on the discord "fan site" and made some significant progress on the Starfinder sheet (still in beta and not quite done, but useable and if you look for it you'll find it.) I've not managed to find the time to join any games recently, but perhaps that can be a goal for 2020.

And then there's this: as a community RPG Crossing raised over $3000 (wow! and this makes our grand total over $9000!) that the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation will use to fund research grants that target improving the lives of those affected by mental illness -- a huge thank you goes out to our generous matching funder for that one, and to everyone who supported the site and charity by purchasing memberships and making donations. We've done something meaningful together. And thank you more generally to every one of our community members for your part in continuing this community, which shines positive in so many ways.

For those who participated in the drive: I hope that everyone enjoys their bonus months of CS and PDF packs, and please, please make an effort to write an online review of any PDF prize you actually use (and/or that you used last year, maybe, too?), to give a helping hand to the generous prize donors. A quick note about this year's prizes: I'll be trying to settle all that by the end of this week, if possible, including the addition of the bonus CS months (as usual, a post will be made in the CS forum about that.)

Our staff:

Thank you to all our present and past moderators who together set the wonderful tone of this community. Please take a moment as you are considering the year past and the year to come to think on their contributions. They make things like the New Player Solo Games, Iron DM, Outplay, Post of the Month, Explosive Runes, and Hall of Fame possible, and also work daily to help game masters to create effective game ads and keep the site friendly and spam free. You can find a full list of site staff here.

Some highlights from the year:

The RPG Crossing publishing moguls put out two new issues of Explosive Runes this year, including the current issue #27 that came out at the end of November. If you haven't checked out this free community project, you're missing out on great art, stories, gaming advice, and short adventures! Back issues can be found at RPG Crossing's Explosive Runes page. Anyone interested in contributing to the next issue should contact Admin Dirk.

In January, Sassafrass was announced as the winner of the 2018 Post of the Year with a description of slow building tension in a haunted house. A possible tip for future contestants: last year's winner was also selected for a creepy post -- coincidence? The Post of the Month recognition continued every month in 2019, and the winner for 2019 should be announced soon.

In February we lost our sense and transformed dirkoth into Admin Dirk. Admin Dirk almost immediately announced three new moderators (MoonZar, wodine, and Wynamoinen), who he's been blaming for everything ever since.

In April, Unko Talok was crowned as the winner of the Easter Bunny hunt and received his winner's avatar, whether he wanted it or not.

In June, Outplay, our player competition, began accepting entries. The competition continued until August, when the mighty Qiksilv prevailed. Congratulations to all the contestants for all the fun! These posts are still available for anyone who wants to go back and enjoy them (or plot for next year?)

In July, the NPSG reached a milestone, with the graduation of their 1000th player! Fantastic! They're now up to 1042 graduates and going strong!

In September, Iron DM 2019 was announced by Inem, who after his hat trick of wins retired to become a judge this year. The battle raged long and hard (Iron DM is grueling!) but at the end of the final challenge Unko Talok prevailed against Drager and was crowned winner.

In October, three new games were inducted into RPG Crossing's Hall of Fame. Congratulations to Arbiters of a New Age, The Empire's Trials, and Priestess, all of whom can now be found in their new home in the Hall of Fame section of the boards.

I'd also like to give a shout out to everyone who takes a moment out of their day to welcome new members to our community - thank you!

It's been a great year at RPG Crossing! Happy New Year and good luck in all your adventures in 2020! Now go play some games!*

With special thanks to our Community Supporters and donors who provide the principal financial support for the ongoing existence of this community,

- Mark / Birched

PS If you are running something on the site that I haven't mentioned, please send me a pm and let me know! I'll add it to my note this year and for future years.

*Unless, of course, you like lists, in which case you should take a look at the following just for fun, and then go play some games.

Users who referred the most new users who stuck around to make at least 10 posts in 2019. Thanks!
  1. Damionte (5 referrals)
  2. Imveros (5 referrals) (TIE)
  3. ChiefDisbelief (4 referrals)
  4. Krazy (3 referrals)
Top ten most popular non-private threads (by new post count) in 2019.
  1. Tug of War 91: It's raining in Tokyo
  2. ?...you can reply to this message.?
  3. Group OOC
  4. 20: Hellfire and Blamnation
  5. Nanotech and Gold Lace
  6. 15: Wings of the Crow
  7. The Kitchen Table
  8. Dice Roller and Tag Testing Thread - Five (5) Post Limit!
  9. 14-A: ReMember Your Children
  10. Empire's Trials - OOC
Top ten most popular non-private game threads (by new post count) in 2019.
  1. Tug of War 91: It's raining in Tokyo
  2. 20: Hellfire and Blamnation
  3. 15: Wings of the Crow
  4. 14-A: ReMember Your Children
  5. 18: Long Live The King
  6. 16: They Can't ALL be Winners
  7. Tug of War 90: Winter is coming!
  8. ??-?: We're Going to Have... Tryouts
  9. Chapter 2: Consequences and Hate
  10. 13-B: Adrenaline is Higher Than Heaven (archived)
  11. The Six Word Game - speak your mind in exactly six words! (left #11 in -- seemed kind of interesting)
Top ten most popular game systems for new games advertised in 2019.
  1. D&D 5E
  2. Other (time for some new categories?)
  3. Pathfinder 1E
  4. SWRPG
  5. D&D 3.5E Forgotten Realms
  6. World of Darkness (TIE)
  7. Shadowrun (TIE)
  8. Pathfinder 2E
  9. Call of Cthulhu (TIE)
  10. M&M (TIE)
  11. Starfinder (TIE)
Top ten users who gave the most reputation hits in 2019.
  1. Imveros
  2. Admin Dirk
  3. Retry
  4. Kapera
  5. DaysUntold
  6. Phettberg
  7. Unko Talok
  8. Silk
  9. Dressedtojazz
  10. DanshiiWithWulfs
Top ten users who received the most reputation hits in 2019.
  1. Retry
  2. DaysUntold
  3. Imveros
  4. Begon Ugo
  5. Wynamoinen
  6. PIG
  7. LittleBlueNA
  8. Kapera
  9. UngainlyFool
  10. Odyssey
  11. Admin Dirk (TIE)
Top posts with the most reputation hits in 2019.
  1. Arkaon
  2. Odyssey (TIE)
  3. Zinrokh (TIE)
  4. ParzivalFair
  5. undeadrajib (TIE)
  6. Elanir (TIE)
  7. Berith (TIE)
  8. DaysUntold (TIE)
Top ten forums with the most posts in 2019.
  1. Games Seeking Players
  2. Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e
  3. Solo Games Archive
  4. Open Roleplaying
  5. New Member Introductions
  6. The Breaking of Exandria
  7. Legacy of Fire
  8. Villains by Necessity
  9. Earthen Works
  10. Unko's Brick House
Longest running games with posts in 2019 (ranked by age) -- also, when you are this old, any post counts.
  1. Earthen Works
  2. Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute
  3. The Three Evils
  4. This is Ravens Bluff:
  5. Nauticum, A Sailor's Fancy
  6. Elghinn Il'tess Wun l' Olath
  7. ridin's rooms
  8. Villains by Necessity
  9. Unko's Brick House
  10. A Hunting We Will go...
And by request, top all time posts by ranked by RPXP hits as of Jan 1, 2020.
  1. hvg3akaek
  2. Vahnscraze
  3. ridin gaijin
  4. Spiryt
  5. Frodiddly
  6. Amy
  7. ridin gaijin (TIE)
  8. Admin Raj
  9. The Ellimist (TIE)
  10. Seravok

Last edited by Aethera; 01-01-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: staffer name typo