Old Apr 8th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian
Hello all

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.
I used to play a lot of pbem rpgs back in the day, but sorta drifted away from it. Now I have a 12 yr old son who's very interested in joining DND games, so I started looking for a site. Someone recommended this one.
Since I'm a bit rusty and quite a bunch of stuff has changed and my son is new to DND, can someone recommend a newbie friendly game the two of us can join?
He'll be registering an account as well.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18557
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Dystopian! Welcome to the site! Man, that's a really nice username grab. One of those that make me double-take and go "how was that not claimed yet?!" Nice catch.

Well, as far as people who are new to DnD (or gaming in general, or Play-by-post), we've got the New Player Solo Game, which any new member can sign up for! So that's an option. But it's a solo game, so that might not be the best. There are a couple of continuous recruitment games that are going on, so it might be possible to have both of you join that! I think that you can find a list of them here. But they're not explicitly for newbies, so that might not wind up being perfect. Maybe the Lost Mine of Phandelver one, since that adventure is supposed to be an intro for DnD?

I wish you and your son tons of luck, though! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're happy to help.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 02:21 PM
¡Salud, camaradas!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18070
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, Dystopian! Welcome to the site! That is cool that your son is joining you.

This is an extremely welcoming and non-creepy site; that said, with the content material of the RPG games, I’m sure there will be some things not appropriate for a 12-year-old player. I think the best way to approach that is to make sure every game your son enters is aware of his age, and that the GM and the players know this when posting material. One suggestion I would have is to check out the Solo Game Bazaar. It is a match-up of individual players and GMs in customized games. I think someone would be willing to DM a younger player in that, and you would also have access to it as a parent where you could read the dialogue. Or, the two of you could play in a customized game together.

I’m not trying to be alarmist and I don’t speak for the site, just thinking things through for what I would have felt comfortable doing for my kiddo at that age. Like I said, this is a great site of friendly players and the games tend to not go too dark. But a parent is a parent and part of that job is watching out for things.

Hope to see both of you around the boards!
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 03:49 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2320
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
I would add that everything in this site is supposed to be PG rated, so if you do come across anyone creepy, please let a mod or admin know immediately (you can report posts as well by clicking on the warning triangle to the top right of every post).

Playing: Gaeseric, Cosmic Champion; Snick-R-DDL-2, Troubleshooter. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38106
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'll second the call for both the new player solo game and for Choco's lost mine game. Bonus point for the lost mine game that Choco is also a new player solo game GM so might be able to offer a little extra help should you need it.

We're a lot more than just play by post though! We have advice sections for both players and GMs, more forum games than you can shake a stick at, and even a dedicated creative writing wing called the library. If either of you have any free time we can kill it for you.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Let your voice be heard!
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71680
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

wow, you snagged a cool name! good job! The recommendations for the New Player Solo game are already here.. when looking for another game or two for you and your son, feel free to ask around, and find ones offered by long time gamers here... they are less likely to fold up tent and disappear.

Happy gaming!
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:03 PM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5127
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Welcome to you and your son!
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the heartfelt welcomes everyone, much appreciated.
Yeah, Dystopian has become quite popular lately since more people have started using it. Luckily enough it wasn't taken here. I've been using the nick for over a decade already or so now though, but am increasingly often running into places where it's already been taken.
Anyway, I'll check out the games you suggested and have my son register. He's a precocious lil though, so I doubt he'll have to be handled with kit gloves very much.
Anyway, thanks again and nice meeting you all.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 07:40 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, can someone tell me how to set a signature underneath my posts? I can't seem to find it in the profile options, although I'm not a new user anymore.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Sure! At the top of any page, click “My Account”, kind of near the left of that top bar. It will take you to your user control panel. There will be a list of links on the left. Under “Settings & Options” click “Edit Signature.”

Last edited by Unko Talok; Apr 9th, 2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
That is so odd... I looked there earlier and I swear it wasn't there then.
I guess maybe I unlocked new options when my account switched from a new account to a regular/beginner account, although the last time I checked, that switch had already occurred. I guess it just took a little while for the extra options to filter through or something.

Anyway, thanks.
"Creative aspiration becomes everyone. " || I have taken the oath of Sangus.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 01:59 PM
that one ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 102
just some ninja just some ninja
i am his son actually, made an account and this is my first post
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by just some ninja View Post
i am his son actually, made an account and this is my first post
There's my boy! <3
"Creative aspiration becomes everyone. " || I have taken the oath of Sangus.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 02:03 PM
that one ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 102
just some ninja just some ninja
:d :d :d :d
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, there, just some ninja! Welcome to the site! Glad you've joined! FYI, that most recent post ws caught by the automoderator (a tool we have to help cut down on spam). Since you post was nothing but repeated emojis, it thought you were a bot, haha! But it's approved now.

I hope you two have tons of fun on site!