Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 512
Egeslean Egeslean Egeslean Egeslean Egeslean Egeslean
What's not adding up about it?

You take on the form of a Beast. You don't 'become' that beast, you just look like it. Like the Alphas, their beast change is a wolf, without 'Echoes of the Beast' they wouldn't have any of the 'instincts' of the wolf to aid them, without 'Claws', they wouldn't have their fangs or claws, and without their 'Inhuman Strength/Speed' they wouldn't be as strong or as fast as a wolf.

Beast Change is basically like putting on a costume.

Last edited by Egeslean; 10-16-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 89
Yellowstonebum
He's right, it is one thing to look like an animal, another to act like an animal.

Also for guest star, if you can't think of anything, you can pick up your guest star from this campaign.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
If you're thinking of going for a character that is some child/offspring/descendent/Scion of a Nevernever creature, you don't have to be a changeling. (Personally I think Changeling is a terrible idea for a PC anyway since you can become a NPC at a moments notice, without your wanting to.) And you don't have to take Marked by Power.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
True. Changelings seem to have the short end of the draw... but when the chips are down, it makes for a darned sad yet heroic ending. Like Meryl...

And Egeslean is right on the whole not needing to be a changeling bit too - changeling only applies to descendents of faeries and sidhe, and doesn't apply to descendants of other things, like with Kincaid.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2589
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
That's the part I understand it's the skill point part that is not adding up.

It effects Alertness, Athletics, Endurance, fists, Intimidation, Might, Stealth, Survival and weapons. now I can't raise the other skills but can I lower them? It doesn't make sense to lower them if my mind is unaffected by the change. But if in my animal form a skill is useless, then why can't I use it to feed a more useful skill? Because there is no point to rearrange the 'Physical skills as they are already optimized... but I wants to increase them....
My timezone is AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
Uh, I would take the Alphas as an example. When they shift, they tend to lower skills like Presence and Rapport and Craftsmanship (among others) which their wolf forms's can't use, and tend to raise stats that fit the shape they shift into (aka: Wolf). What my point is is that you actually can raise skills to fit those slots (so long as you don't spend over your cap in skill points). That means the Alphas raise their Fists and Survival, and Alertness and stuff, things that make them less personable (hard to be personable as a wolf, you can't really talk) and more fierce. So, even if you have a good enough level in those physical skills, you can make them even better...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ahh, I see what you mean. You're hitting the nail on the head. The human form isn't exactly made for...well...pretty much anything but using tools XD If you already have those physical skills at the top of your skill pyramid, then, yes, the skill switching doesn't do anything for you. It worked out well for the Alphas because they were nerdy/geeky/scrawny teenagers in their human forms, but change to a wolf and now their physical skills took over as their top skills, while their more brainy/academic skills dropped down.

As Billy puts it in YS, "For me, these days, it's like a switch in the back of my brain. When I flip it, my body gets optimized. My mind is still there - I still know who I am and all that - But my priorities flip around a bit. My senses and body align for the hunt."

You don't loose anything, so you don't gain anything, you just adjust your self to fit the beast form, thus the skill reshuffle, not a redo of the skill pyramid. So if you don't have Intimidation already, you can't suddenly get it in your beast form. That's why Billy (and by extension the Alphas) seem to take on a lot of the traits they have as a wolf, while still in their human form, at least in the later books.

If you turn yourself into a sparrow, you don't need fists or weapons or might, but who ever takes notice of a sparrow? So stealth, awareness, endurance, athletics (maybe), survival, take the top spots instead. It really depends on what beat form you're taking, because that will determine what your skills will be. If the skills don't make sense with the beast form, it's a no-go.

~~~

Instead, if you want to look a certain way when you use your abilities, you could take Human Guise -0. You look completely human, but you still have access to your supernatural abilities. Once you use any of your abilities, your Human Guise falls away and you look like your monstrous/beastly/inhuman self. In times of great stress or high emotion, you may have to roll Discipline to keep the guise in place.

Or take Human Form +1, if you choose at least -2 points of supernatural abilities that are tied to your human form. Usually all of your supernatural abilities are tied to your Human Form. In the human form you cannot use those abilities. You much shapeshift into your 'true'/powered form to utilize them.

I'm suggesting these two because it seems the skill-shuffling of Beast Change doesn't sound like it has much of an application for you Ghost.

Last edited by Egeslean; 10-16-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Wait, if Ghost is moving away from her soul-mancer idea, does that mean Arthur will be the sole practitioner of the group? Interesting...

Anywho, excepting the Guest Star parts, I'm done with my character sheet. So, should I enter the Arena or something? Or what? I wanna give Arthur a play test...
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
One practitioner seems to be okay to me for a group, Harry, for a looooooooooong time was the only practitioner of his little group, and even in Turn Coat Molly wasn't really a huge part of it, same with Changes (though she did quite a bit for her level of power). It actually seems okay to me, since a wizard, even at just a -8 starting refresh can outclass a lot of things in terms of raw power, and as the refresh goes up, they continue to do outdo a lot of other characters. I'm guessing he'll be able to throw around weapon 4's while most of us will be using weapons 1's and 2's, maybe 3's...maybe.

~~~

Yellowstone, two questions for ya: Is the relic going to be -2 or -3? Under 'Book of Knowledge <Rulez> you mention -3 with -5 potential but focus on -3. And is it possible for it to be an Item of Power?

Last edited by Egeslean; 10-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Eh. At best, Arthur can throw out 4 shift attacks with his magic, 5 if it's Spirit based. Any more and he strains himself. And he can only do that about 4 times a scene... That's not to mention this is lowered through usage of magical blocks and maneuvers and counterspells, etc. so... Yeah, consistency isn't very good for him. Again, why people don't solve all their problems with magic- it's easier to shoot something in the face or stab it then it is to send conjured flame focused into a beam of fire at em... I mean, why so you think wizard's carried staffs around a lot way back when? You never knew when you needed to brain somebody with a big stick!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Well actually, you could throw out what...if you have 4 mental stress...4 stress boxes + 2 for a mild consequence + 4 more for a moderate + 6 for a severe + another 8 for an extreme so a total of 24 XD You'd just be extremely FUBAR'd.

But yeah, that's why magic (especially Evocation) doesn't solve everything. You can get a lot of stuff done, and relatively safely, with Tham though.

Last edited by Egeslean; 10-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2329
JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey JoeNotJoey
I can't fault anyone for changing their mind. I started out pure mortal and am now writing up an Emissary of Power.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Knight that says Nil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2495
LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin LuckyLukin
I'm sticking with Pure Mortal
Old 10-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2589
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
Well I originally was doing 5's with my sword, dropping to 4's with claws... I only really had magic to boost my armour and deal with things that I couldn't hit with my sword, like a certain acid spitting boxer.
My timezone is AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
How were you doing 5's with your sword? and 4's with claws? (It's possible I missed something or something hasn't clicked my head about those things yet.)