Game Thread Chapter 1. The Basement - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Five Heroes Get Lost in a Basement
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Something's fishy...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
Trout of Doubt
Gun jokes. Har har. Health and safety is one of the least effective aspects of restaurant stuff in many places (like my humble opinion). There are so many ridiculous stipulations and general obnoxious shite that it sometimes makes a perfectly conscientious and health wary chef into a raging anger ball ready to cut the heads off of anybody who looks like an inspector.....

"Yeah," says Joe (to Robert), "I'm sure."

He doesn't have one of his overloud laughs ready for Vic's quip about the the American fuzz, though. He stays quite sober.

Joe's eyes keep wandering off towards the shelf where the critter disappeared. He mutters something under his breath. Sounds like "Gmnmn nmnkmns nmn here, again." But you can't really be sure.

Jac get's Matty (who's full name is really Matilda but only her mother and maybe Joe know that) on the phone, and she agrees to come down and take a look at him. After a few short minutes you can hear her clumping down the last few stairs of the flight onto the street.

In a worn blue bathrobe with a pair of new yellow slippers, she has the distinct aroma of incense, bacon, and marijuana. She descends the stairs like an obstinate ballerina, and clump-hops across the basement following Jac.

"Joe, you bastard, what the hell happened?" Her voice is hoarse enough to barrel race, but her tone is sweet enough to throw in your coffee (perhaps with a little milk.) In her left hand is a first aid kit, and in her right hand is a cuppa joe. Coffee joe, not Joe joe. I didn't want to repeat myself.

Matty and Joe work things out. She cleans out the wound with a bottle of sterile water, checks to see how deep it is, does some other first aid things, and then stitches him up 'real good.' During the process you are all welcome to the sight of a topless Joe. He has many, many, tattoos. Some of them are testaments to badassery, some are nasty and rude, some are romantic and outdated, and some are downright goofy. Like a Princess Peach blowing a kiss tattoo. Why, Joe? Why?

Joe doesn't so much as wince through the entire process. He stands up when the final pieces of tape are cut, and he looks around.

"Catch the critter," he says. "Or you're fired."

Then, with Matty clumping alongside him, he leaves the basement.

The critter hasn't made much noise since it dove behind the shelf. For all you know it could still be there.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Jimmy

Jimmy's attention is fixed on the shelves as comes back down with Matty. He throws a quick "Hey Matty" at her as she starts working on Joe's wounds. As the others arrive to guard the shelves, Jimmy drops one of the lids and slips back and grabs a donut off the floor and his bloody shirt from by Joe. He then deigns to answer Victor's question.

"What we are looking at here Vic, is a cat sized... THING... with wings and some kind of horns. So if you would be so kind as to grab a weapon or something to trap it with, that would be 'tree bee-an'. Sound good? 'Murky buckets' to you." First Joe is acting weird, and now Jimmy doesn't call Victor "Vicky"? He's not all gone though if he's purposefully murdering French at him.

"Jac, darlin'? I KNOW you got more balls then some of these guys. You want to grab a weapon or crate or something too?"

"Yeah, yeah, Joe. We got this thing." He reassures Joe. Then as Matty helps Joe up the stairs, Jimmy rolls his eyes. Joe seemed to know what this thing is... I could swear I heard him say 'Again'. Be nice if he had given us more detail if that is true.

Jimmy grabs a can of wasp spray off of a nearby shelf of pest equipment and hefts it before tossing it to Robert. "Here's what we'll do kidlets... Once we're all in position, I'll toss the donut by the shelf to see if it goes after it. If it does, you hit it with the spray Robert, and I'll toss my shirt at it to try and tangle it up, then we can try to catch it with one of these things! If it doesn't come out, Robert spray the far side of the shelves first, maybe that will draw it out. Then spray it and etcetera..." Jimmy then sets down the other lid. Standing between the two lids, ready to be picked up, he readies the donut in his left hand and balls the shirt up in his right hand and crouches like a wrestler at the begining of a match.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Guy 5/Corpse 10/Lich 5

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 807
Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput
Jac nods at victor's question. "Well, yeah, but they only shoot to wound. Then they drag us all up a mountain and chain us to rocks to feed the American eagles. Because freedom."

When Matty arrives, Jac goes through the motions of greeting her, though it's obvious that neither party gives a damn. She doesn't bother to apologise for disturbing her, because of course she'll have already decided it's Joe's fault.

When the threat of the sack is raised, she just rolls her eyes. It's probably not even the first time this week. Now that she thinks about it, she doesn't even remember. "Oh, we'll get it. Don't you worry. When we're done here there won't be a living spider."

Her eyes rove the basement seeking out the single nastiest, most dangerous object she might be able to wield. She's not interested in getting a hole poked in her, so the critter's had its chance.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Something's fishy...

Tools
User Statistics
Trout of Doubt
The contents of the Basement shift their positions to present themselves in a much deadlier light, as Jac's gaze sweeps across them. Razor sharp chair legs in abundance. Bent old mops by the score. Frying pans, ladles, oversize spoons, it goes on.
Rolling pins.
Tenderizers.

If she spends even 15 seconds walking in any direction there will be enough improvised weapons to arm an improvised army.

I'm going to wait a little while, or wait for everybody to post, before I describe the goings on. Whichever is first.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 192
Narsis Narsis
Tyler grins at Victor's question, and laughs at Jac's answer. "Only problem is there aren't any mountains around here. They'd probably cuff us and ship us off someplace else. Although chopping us up first might save on shipping costs."

Tyler's eyes snapped back to the shelf. He thought he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. But nothing had changed, the thing was still hiding. Speaking of the thing...I wonder what it even is. If I could figure out what it liked to eat I wonder if I could keep it as a pet. His mind continued to ponder the idea of a pet while he waited for Matty.

Everyone seemed to or at least didn't seem worry about Joe's survival anymorerelax a bit when Matty arrived. Tyler watched closely, mesmerized by the variety of tattoos on Joe's chest. Maybe I should get one. But of what?...oh! That cat thing would be cool. He was also very impressed with Matty's first aid skills. "Hey Matty, where'd you learn to do that?"

Tyler laughed at Joe's threat. "In case you forgot, I don't work for you now." Seeing Jac looking for a weapon, he handed her his the big metal one. get your mind outta the gutters.pole. "Here. You can probably swing it better than me anyway." He grabbed a large pot nearby. "I want to catch it anyway!" Then he prepared himself for the assault.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
3d6x6 in order

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1963
Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera Lazersetcetera
A what? A cat with wings and horns? A devil cat?

**** off.

Hang on.

Victor pulls his phone out of his pocket and sets it to camera mode. The light shines weakly onto the shelves. With his other hand he brandishes the mop with mock ferocity.

This mop is a piece of ****. Not using it.

He fiddles with the belt loop of his apron.

My own trusty Chef's knife. Guns for show, knives for a pro. Alright.

C'mon, here, kitty kitty...
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Something's fishy...

Tools
User Statistics
Trout of Doubt
Matty says something flippant and amusing to Tyler about where she developed her first aid skills. It involves a place where they usually don't teach any first aid, but the DM doesn't go into much detail, so she leaves him wondering.

There is no movement of any sort from anywhere, save for the very distant sound of traffic, and muffled sounds of activity from the buildings above (and if you really want to get technical, from the gathered characters and the spiders and other insects in the Basement.) There is no detectable sound from the.. thing.

If the critter is still behind the shelf, it is holding very very still, and very quiet. If it spoke English, it probably would have moved by now.

Last edited by Trout of Doubt; Apr 4th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 336
DustyParadox DustyParadox DustyParadox DustyParadox
"Don't be so bloodthirsty," Robert scolded, still wielding the crate in front him like it was some sort of gigantic catcher's mitt. "It's probably just scared. And Joe told us to catch it, not kill it."

And, in a perfect example of serenity and absolutely no bloodthirst at all, he put his shoulder to the shelf and shoved.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Something's fishy...

Tools
User Statistics
Trout of Doubt
Ahhh.

The wasp-killer spray bounces off of Robert's meaty shoulder and clang ka-clang clangs around the dirty floor.

The shelf doesn't move very far. It's a biggun, and the floor is uneven. Not a nice sliding surface. It does screech horribly and scoot about two feet in a direction away from Robert, and parallel with the wall.

Suddenly, out from behind it, with teeth bared and horns raised, comes absolutely nothing. There is no noise aside from the gentle pattering of detritus resettling to the ground, the sudden creak as the shelf shifts back into a position more comfortable for it,

and the low drafty whooshing of cool air leaking out from behind it.

Last edited by Trout of Doubt; Apr 4th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 01:51 AM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
Jimmy

"Sonova!!! Jimmy turns to see the can bounce of Robert's shoulder. "Robert! What the he..." Jimmy cuts off as the shelf shifts, ready to go to Robert's aid when the creature mauls him. And waits... He straightens as nothing comes out, then frowns as the breeze rustles the trash on the ground. "Oh, for the love of Pete! Did it burrow in through the wall? Or OUT??"

Jimmy drops everything and pulls at the shelves,trying to pivot the unit away from the wall. "Someone give me a hand with this thing!!"
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 192
Narsis Narsis
As Robert shoved the shelf, Tyler prepared to pounce. It will be mine!

And he waited.

And waited.

And nothing came out.

"Wha...?" Tyler twisted his face into a combination of confusion and frustration. Where did it go? And what's with the breeze?

Dropping his pot, Tyler joined Jimmy and gave the shelves his best tug.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Something's fishy...

Tools
User Statistics
Trout of Doubt
I'm going to assume that Robert just continues pushing the shelf as Jimmy and Tyler jump in to help.

The shelf doesn't budge, at first: a testament to Robert's understated brawn. Then with a groan and a grinding squeal, the massive dusty assembly of painted white pine and metal brackets slides away from the wallgotta have italics..

In the dim light, a yawning darkness four feet high and six feet wide reveals itself. The cooler air wafts slowly from this opening with an incessant regularity. Never varying. Never waxing stronger than a heavy breath.

A few pipes and an electrical sleeve run down the wall, and then disappear into the tunnel.

Last edited by Trout of Doubt; Apr 5th, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
Jimmy

"You have got to be KIDDING me!!! Jimmy pulls his flashlight from his back pocket and drops to his knees, shining the light into the tunnel. "What in H-E-Double hockey sticks is a tunnel doing here?" Jimmy plays the light along the pipes and conduit trying to determine if they could be add ons from someone stealing power and water, or if they looked original. He then shines the light back down the tunnel, trying to see how far back it goes.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 336
DustyParadox DustyParadox DustyParadox DustyParadox
After having most definitely aided in the group effort to get the shelf out of the way, Robert was forced to confront the possibility that this building had once been owned by thieves. Why else would there be a secret tunnel?

Secret tunnel! Secret tunnnnel!

...crap, now that song from that blasted cartoon Jason liked so much was stuck in his head.

"H-E-double what?" Robert asked, wrinkling his nose as he tried to dislodge the less-than mellifluous singing voice of a magical hippy that had currently taken residence in his head. Peering into the light given off by Jimmy's flashlight, he tried to make out that which he was looking at.

What was that?!

Thinking he'd spotted something move, he placed the crate in front of him, and took a careful step forward.

"If it gets past me," he hissed, blinking furiously as he sought to make out the shape of the cat creature, footsteps echoing oddly, "someone nab it."
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Guy 5/Corpse 10/Lich 5

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 807
Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput Caput
Jac gladly takes the pole. "Awesome. Thanks man." She watches as the others move the shelves, ready to bat the animal away like a baseball. When it doesn't come, she looks around in case she's missed it, then returns to watching in silence.

When the tunnel opens, her eyes damn near pop out of her head. "Mother of God. Ok. That's unexpected." She stomps up the stairs again to see if anybody knew it was there. "Joe!? It went down a tunnel! Why is there a tunnel, Joe?"

Last edited by Caput; Apr 6th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.