RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 02:58 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2947
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
Changeling

I've seen occasional Vampire the Masquerade games (wouldn't be opposed to one of those either), but I've not seen a Changeling game on here yet, and I've heard good things.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1732
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
I was in an old style Changeling game using the original rules till very recently. The GM had to let it go due to life conflicts. It really rocked though. Would love to find another one.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old May 3rd, 2022, 10:36 AM
seeking sani̶̩̽̒t̴̬̺̰͆͋̏y

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50980
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
There are two Changeling games: Changeling the Dreaming (original WoD) and Changeling the Lost (new WoD/Chronicles of Darkness). I have seen them attempted, but I don't think any lasted long that I've seen.

I've played CtL, and it was a riot. Players are changelings who have just escaped Faerie, and are trying to reintegrate with the human world without getting caught. As I recall the prior game was something about fae being trapped in human bodies? I don't remember why I disliked that game, but there was something about it. (Now I'm going to have to go look, because it'll bug me if I don't.)

Good luck finding a Changeling game! If I had time, I would definitely join you. Unfortunately "life conflicts" is a plague.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 12:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
Changeling the Lost sounds more like what I was hearing about
Old May 4th, 2022, 08:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
I have played both, most recently the Dreaming. Both are great if you get a good GM and players. If you find one please let me know.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!

Last edited by Kepheren; May 4th, 2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old May 4th, 2022, 01:17 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I just added the [WoD] prefix to this thread so others who do searches on that can find it. Hopefully someday we'll get a chance to play both! I'd also be down for a one-shot of each, if such a thing can even be described in a WoD system. Compare and contrast games could be really fun.
Old May 15th, 2022, 06:27 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 298
Optional Reality Optional Reality Optional Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
I just added the [WoD] prefix to this thread so others who do searches on that can find it. Hopefully someday we'll get a chance to play both! I'd also be down for a one-shot of each, if such a thing can even be described in a WoD system. Compare and contrast games could be really fun.
They are super, super different games, probably the biggest thematic break between the World of Darkness and the Chronicles of Darkness.

Changeling: the Dreaming is a game about trying to keep the lights of innocence and whimsy alive in a world that is worse than cruel -- it is apathetic. CTD's core idea is that real emotion and the passions that come with it is, in a way, a kind of magic. But that it is a kind of magic that is slowly dying as more and more people live out gray, featureless lives in cookie-cutter suburban homes and cubicle jockey jobs. Personally, I've never had a good experience with CTD. The book makes it seem like a very, very silly setting, and it's certainly easy to make VERY silly characters. But then those characters face a desperate struggle against -- not monsters exactly -- but the crushing (and possibly inevitable!) nihilism of modern humanity. It's a brutal contrast. Oh, and then the setting got super weird with Denizens of the Dreaming, but that's beside the point.

Changeling: the Lost is a much darker game on the surface, but I have always felt it's the more hopeful game. CTL's overriding theme is the struggle for personal identity in the face of supernaturally horrifying abuse. CTL isn't always an easy game. It probably needs an agreed-upon yellow/red card system more than anything except maybe Wraith (which I haven't played, but I've heard the stories). But I find it to be a hopeful game. Despite everything's that's happened to them, CTL characters can literally come to define themselves and rise above their role as victims. Personally, I find that maybe the most relatable character arc in all of White Wolf. Welll, give or take Equinox Road, which suggests that some of them are doomed to become abusers themselves. Although that's probably not wrong, just... sad.
Old May 18th, 2022, 08:29 AM
Floof

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2973
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
Changeling: The Lost is a game I've always been intrigued by, but never managed to play. Like Optional Reality, I find the themes of it very compelling, even moreso than Mage: The Awakening (which is where I got into WoD).
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 01:36 AM
Planar Clairvoyant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1552
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Sounds like a fun time, from the audio bytes I’ve listened, very compelling. I’m not familiar with the mechanics, so it’d be great to draft a pc. Mage the Ascension is another I’m itching for.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Half-Orc Fighter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6807
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
I've run a lot of Vampire. I've never ran Changeling, although I have the book. I'm not sure how well I would do.

The longest running Call of Cthulhu on RPG Crossing (2011 - Present) (1,500+ posts).
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 09:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Do you ever know until you do a thing how well you can do a thing?
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 10:43 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Changeling has a lot of lore. It might be harder than just switching books.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Also Changeling, either version of it, takes a completely different mind set than Vampire. Vampires by nature are static creatures whereas Changelings embody a sort of primal chaos. To my mind it is a little like the Spirit sphere in Mage. They are very attuned to the meaning of things and a lot really depends on the given Changelings perception of their state and the universe around them. In a way if they believe a thing hard enough it becomes true after a fashion.