RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 28th, 2022, 12:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26795
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Brave New Worlds

Game NameBrave New Worlds
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeInfiltration and Special Ops Squad in a Modern Day Alternate Earth
FlavourMix of D&D Fantasy, Modern, Aliens, and Time Travel
Plot SummaryAn Elite Special Ops team is set to travel back in time through a magical gate to prevent an Evil Cult from taking over the Earth.

Set in Modern day in an Alternate Earth timeline wherein Aliens have control of more than half the land masses, Magic, Sorcery, and Ancient Gods have returned along with long forgotten other sentient races.

The PremiseLoosely based on, “The World War Series” by Harry Turtledove, mixed in with Forgotten Realms Time of Troubles.

Present Day:
Humans are no longer the only sentient species on the planet. This has been the case for the last 75 + years.
History Lesson in this Alternate Timeline:
The Race, a species of lizard-like aliens originating from a planet orbiting Tau Ceti, sends a probe to Earth in 1181. They discover a pre-industrial humanity. They decide to wait 800 years to return, as humanity isn’t considered a threat.
The Race’s technology evolves incredibly slowly, as they are unwilling to take risks or experiment much with new technology. This means that their technology has hardly advanced in the last 50,000 years.
The Race had dabbled in the Arcane arts, but only with limited progress.

The Race Armada arrived in Earth orbit on December 1941. They were shocked that humanity went from an agricultural to an industrial society in a mere 800 years, as they assumed human technological progress would be as slow as their own.

At that time their forces have no real combat experience, as their home planet has been unified for 100,000 years. Additionally, they don’t have a navy, as their planet is mostly desert.
Their technology level at that time is around the late 1990s by comparison, and they also have nuclear weapons and limited use of Arcane spells and effects.

They decide to gather intelligence for a while, and then they invade, as you know, on and around May 30th, 1942. They secure landing areas in the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Europe.

They detonate several nuclear weapons above Earth’s atmosphere, which generates a massive EMP, intending to destroy human communications. It has little effect, as humans mostly use vacuum tubes for electronics, which aren’t affected.
They also launch massive air strikes on human Airfields, catching them by surprise.
TIMELINE From Then Until Now

Premise of this Game:

- Team is called ??? and not widely known.
- Consists of 6 members of Elite special forces soldiers of a diversity of Classes. (Need 4 more players/characters)
- All characters will have Level 1 Fighter, and 3 levels of one other class
- Races can vary, but must be able to pass as human, and might allow one 'Race' character (which is Kobold btw). What is also an interesting twist is you'll get a known earth language from your country of origin. A French Orc? A Canadian Dwarf? A Norwegian Elf? A Japanese Tiefling?
- All are proficient in all weapons in the Martial Ranged Gun Weapons list
- Other weapons will be needed when guns are deemed too loud or can't be seen. (Still thinking about silencers)
- Each Character will also have a "preferred" non "gun" weapon, whether it is melee or ranged, or both as determined by class and proficiencies.

Character Creation
Abilities: Ability Generation will be 4d6 generation. After dropping the lowest die, reroll all remaining 1's, including all new 1's rolled. If this is worse than the 27 point buy, then you can take that.

Hit Point Generation: HP generation is max for the Fighter 1, Max for 1st level of next class, and then roll for other two levels, or take standard. If all Fighter, then first two are Max and roll for rest or take standard. HP is standard, OR roll, and you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Make it clear in your app/char generation post which you are going with. If the Dice Gods deem you get a low HP for that level, you get a low HP. So roll if you like, but again, you'll stick with what you get.
LINK TO DICE THREAD NO ROLLING IN THIS THREAD PER SITE RULES!!
Team will have an artifact that will allow Time Travel to specific location and time in the past.
Mission will be to retrieve artifact from the past, kill specific targets, destroy some building or temple, and return.

Twist on Time Travel: Every time you "jump", and return, something has changed due to what you did in the past. This is the time you are in now as described. Think modern day, like the movie Bright, but with full blown D&D in the mix. We'll flesh this out as we go together.
Each character submission will have a paragraph, not too long, about what was different in the Earth they came from.
Initially, there was only one member of the Team, and they did a jump to the past and returned. Others were recruited and missions continued, and so on and so forth until one member has never jumped before (or only has one mission under their belt) and only knows present day.
This means all characters will know of those alternate earths of those characters that came after them - they've been there.
The one certainty in all alternate earths is that the aliens, The Race, always show up in WWII.
Who knows? Perhaps after a few missions and rise in level, we'll jump back to change even that.

LINK TO HOMEBREW RULES

LINK TO TIME TRAVEL RULES

CHARACTER SUBMISSION LIST
PLAYER
CHARACTER
RACE
CLASS
APP COMPLETE? REVIEWED ?
Onward Iella Morrison "The Needle" Half-elf Fighter 1 / Paladin (Oath of Ancients) 3 Yes No
Silent Rain Seven Warforged Fighter 1 / Warlock (hexblade) 3 (patron is the Machine) Yes No
Noquarter19 Daniel Llewellyn Chamberlain Hill Dwarf ????? Yes No
Talissen Jesper Dalanthan Wood Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 3 (Way of Mercy) Yes No
Runetide Kreyev Steele Human (variant) Fighter (Battlemaster) 3/Rogue 1 Need Character sheet finished -
Azure Nokori Drill Sergeant Willicks Fallen Aasimar (British) Fighter 1/Bard 3 (College of Not-Yet-Decided) WIP -
treble83 Jacob "Wolf" Seed V. Human Fighter 1 / Barbarian 3 (Totem Warrior) Yes No
Elieshar Faelar "Shadow" Hawkeye Wood Elf Rogue 3 /Fighter 1 WIP 

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jul 8th, 2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Sounds like a wild ride, i'll wait for more info but definitely peaked my interest
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2043
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
Callsign Raven
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=91165
right-aligned image

Name: Jesper Dalanthan

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Fighter 1 / Monk 3 (Way of Mercy)

Appearance/Personality:
Jesper stands at 6ft tall. Slim athletic build, with a friendly, smiling demeanour and deep brown eyes. His hair is slightly too long to be considered tidy, but he is otherwise clean-shaven. He looks relaxed all the time and is rarely prone to anger. There is a sadness at times in his eyes, related to previous traumas in childhood.

When on active duty, Jesper wears a half face covering shaped like a Raven's eyes and beak in dark material with feathers at the sides this also covers his elven ears. Although perfectly capable with firearms, Jesper prefers to use a knife and is rarely seen without one.

Background: Urchin (Survivalist Community)

Traits: I like to hide in the secluded dark places where no one can get me
Ideal: We need to take care of each other, because no one else is going to do it
Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity and saw the value in me
Flaw: I will never fully trust anyone but myself

Backstory:
Jesper was born and raised in a survivalist colony on the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea between Lithuania and Sweden. Largely free from the interference of outsiders, The Race and others alike, it was an insular life.

Jesper was a late developer and in his teenage years did not conform well to the militaristic archetype they required. Much happier climbing trees, making some coin with a card trick or some other sleight of hand, he tried to forge a place in their society.

He may have been successful if not for the attention of the Commanders son Darin, who seemed to take an instant dislike to the young Jesper. Instead of direct aggression, Jesper was taken into the fold of Darin and his cohort and became a bullied younger brother for them. Trained in combat skills but always physically inferior, he suffered six months of this behaviour before they grew tired of him, and he was dropped from the group. In reality this meant beaten and left for dead by those he had tried hard to impress.

He was found and healed by the order of Monks who lived in seclusion on the inhospitable north coast of the island. Their community valued balance above all and Jesper's survival was taken as a sign to raise him in their order. This provided the first period of true happiness in the boy's life and as he grew and trained with the Monks, his previous life was largely forgotten. Occasionally he would awake from night terrors but even these became manageable over time.

This ended swiftly when the disease came to Gotland. Some claimed it was a biblical plague sent to punish but in reality, it was likely some bacteria or STD hosted by The Race and then passed to other races with no immunity. The colony was decimated and began looking to all corners of their island for help. The Monks, avoiding contact with others and in possession of healing arts were largely unaffected and responded with assistance when asked.

Many lives were saved, but in the true reflection of human nature this was not enough for some. Darin, now war leader could not accept that the Monks were being forthright and accused them of causing the illness just so they could hold sway over his people. This grew and after several Monks had been attacked, a mob tried to storm their enclave. Many innocents died, Jesper was recognised and attacked by an enraged Darin.

But this was not the frightened boy, eager to impress anymore. Jesper had grown strong and talented, and the fight ended with several daggers impaling Darin's lifeless body. In the end, the Monks could not hold out against the mob onslaught and Jesper escaped on a small boat into the expanse of the Baltic Sea. He was adrift and close to death once more when he awoke to find a strange man in the boat with him. Dressed in military fatigues he looked the young man over, nodded and then everything went black.

And thus, Jesper was recruited. His timeline lost to him, and a new purpose found.

Last edited by Talissen70; Jul 13th, 2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 07:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3259
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Yeah, I'm pretty down with this idea. What kind of application should be made for this?
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 08:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3586
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Ok, how much do we have to re-skin the classes? How about races?

What about the baddies? Am I thinking xenomorphs? Zergs? Bodysnatchers? Coneheads?
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 10:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Wow. Ghost6442 rallied the troops.
Character creation is above. Typical app for 5e with additions stated above in main post I just edited.
I guess this means... GAME ON!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 11:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3381
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Okay! Interesting!
I've got an idea for the difference of my Earth: the television never took off. Production was halted during WW2 and never continued, which lead to more focus on academics and physical activities. In (our) reality, production was suspended but started up again in 1945.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 01:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
App
right-aligned image

Name: Iella Morrison The Needle
Class: Paladin (Oath of Ancients)
Race: Half-elf
Appearance: Morrison stands at 5'2", and with a different outfit she would have sport a curvaceous body. Her long, slender hair is red like her lip stick. She has an elven beauty about her, save for one of her ears which looked like it used to be more sharper, but now it's torn off. She usually wears a simple brown jacket over her white sleeve shirt, a pistol is holstered and hidden under her jacket. The hat she wears was from her father and is a vintage Texas hat, rarest of its kind. On her arm is a tattoo of a lily pad which looked to have been dipped with blood.
Background: Criminal (Enforcer)
Traits: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
Ideal: Honor. I have my oaths and vows that I uphold, test them and I'll break your kneecaps.
Bond: The things I do for family.
Flaw: I won't lie, I'm a greedy and amoral person through and through. Toss me some cash and I'll do you any job, whether it's a hit list or in bed. But if it's a matter of my principles or my family, then drop dead.
Original Earth: Iella Morrison comes from an Earth that's somewhat different than the original. During World War II, their was a miscast of Spells and England has now fully merged with the Feywild. Good thing for humanity, the Fey decided to help out in the war and the Race was sweating bullets at this great upheaval. They had to counterbalance, and they did the miscast again but this time on purpose. And they brought forth the Shadowfell which engulfed Russia and turned it to a Winter Hellscape were hordes of undead now roam the lands and have started pouring across the globe. Then the Nazi's decided to capitalize in this Shadowfell incident and the top brass have now become liches. Also, the spaceship housing the millions of Race managed to safely come to Earth, but was taken over by the Nazi's and are currently have been turned as an undead farmhouse, where they controlled millions of undead, and kept the still alive 1 millions for breeding. During this time, the rest of the Race made an agreement to the US to work together to eliminate the undead threat. They now formed Universal Coalition of America (UCA), and England was changed to Feyland which was ruled by the Seelie Court. However, at present day, the whole of Feyland is in an infinite power struggle for control between Unseelie and Seelie, which has sprouted hundreds of gangs of various Fey races, both evil and good, starting a gang war to dominate Feyland. And London is the center of this battle which seems to be a hodgepodge of alliances and backstabs, and a web of corruption and crime.
Backstory:
Iella Morrison is a fellow gangster as well. She was the daughter of the police chief. However, due to the chaotic nature of the Fey, the laws of man were futile and her father was the only person trying to keep things under control. He was a man of honor and he wanted peace, it's probably why her mother loved him. Eventually, he died in the middle of a magic gang war. Her mother left her daughter, it was unknown where she went, maybe to find another man or maybe to grief alone, she was always an emotional rollercoaster. Iella fended for herself for the rest of her childhood, until she met her boss, Mielikki, a unicorn and leader of a gang known as the Scarlet Lilies. Their a type of gang that's mostly woman and has a tight grip on the prostitution trade. They are considered one of the strongest gangs, and everyone in Feyland knows that if you mess with one of the sisters or the working girls in the Scarlet Lily's territory, prepare for a full blown war, and these women are very thorough in their job. Iella worked with her boss as bodyguard, prostitute, and assassin, and overtime she has come to place her loyalty on the Lilies, she thinks of them as her own new family.

After the events of the Time of Troubles, Mielliki stayed with the Lilies and had plans for this organization. She has managed to create a link between different timelines during the Time of Troubles and has made an agreement between other time travelers. Their agreement was this: the Lilies will send their finest in whatever mission the travelers wish of them, in exchange they give the Lilies the arsenal to end the gang war and to one day stop the apocalypse that is to come in their timeline. Iella was one of many Lilies recruited for such a task for her boss, and she won't fail. Not when her leader is counting on her.
Goals: Iella: Serve her boss well and the protection of her family.
Player: I think it's an interesting concept that I want to experiment on. Hoping for a lot of RP.
Secrets: Known: Iella remembers the name and face of the gunman that killed her father. Will possibly attempt to murder him in any timeline
Unknown: Mielliki is actually her mother that has a vendetta on the gang wars. Secretly more corrupt then the other gang leaders.
Relationship: Anna Lowell. Human Female. A fellow Lily that's somewhat more timid and tech smarts, Iella is protective of her. She also was one of the Lilies sent to alternate worlds.
C'cultk. Hobgoblin Male. The murderer of her father, a muscle to a notorious hag boss that goes by Bloody Syrup. Killer is still at large. Possibility of alternate versions of him are likely. He doesn't know her, but she knows a lot about him.
Quirk: I like to wear my hat a lot, even in times were it seems unappropriate to wear one.
Fears and Hope: Fear: Abandonment
Fear: Seeing someone you cared for die
Hope: A more peaceful time
Hope: Booze

Last edited by Onward; Jun 29th, 2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 01:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, I'm not much of a history buff, but I think I created an alternate earth. Not sure if it'd made any sense though, give me a holler if it doesn't.

Last edited by Onward; Jun 29th, 2022 at 04:12 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 04:01 AM
It's clobberin' time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9425
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I read the Turtledove novel "The Man with the Iron Heart" and thought he knocked it out of the park, really inspired a love for alternate timeline stories. I'll take a peek through the setup and see if an idea shakes loose. Looking forward to seeing other people's ideas.

Posting status: good to go
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5188
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
I guess you don't need me to keep advertising?

My timezone is AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
lol. Thanks Ghost6442! We're good I think.

Though I never intended for anyone to have to write up an extensive alternate history other than the one I have created, I love reading the background stories and ideas. I intended for only a slight change as indicated in the Time Travel Rules we are following. I put a link in the main post above.
If you do make an extensive difference, then we'll have to explain how you came to the current Alternate History Timeline. If you like surprises, I already have the idea and can spring it on you at game start and you can RP it out.
I also added a link to the dice thread where you can roll for ability scores and HP. I would like to see a fully fleshed out character sheet.
You needn't worry about items you can't carry on your person - as far as $ and spending and starting funds - since they will be gone when you time travel (or likely will be).
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 10:13 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
TheDuke
Sounds like a cool concept! I've got a few ideas for characters, so I'll try to get an application up soon.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 10:20 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18753
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Note to Applicants
The two Current Players of the game are myself and Ghost.
  • Ghost is playing as a 'Race'(kobold) Artificer(Alchemist)
  • I will be playing a Human Ranger(Primal Companion Beastmaster)
This is only meant to inform, not influence. I would hate for someone to be chosen and then be disappointed because they realized one of the two pre-established players was already using their concept. With how the world is set up, and with the assumption there can be some "re-flavoring" to make some things 'techy' instead of 'magical', there are numerous options out there. There IS magic as well, so don't be worried if you want to play a Warlock that literally fires 'Eldritch Blasts' at everything. You may get some odd looks depending on the time period, but all of the characters will have experience due to 'The Race' bringing such unbelievable things to the world decades before 'The Present'.

Drachenspirit never disappoints when it comes to unique settings and situations, and this is one that is certainly unique and very inviting in terms of potential enjoyable RP. Check out the links. Read up on the expansive history. Find your character and figure out how they factor into the chaos of this unique version of the Modern World.

Good Luck! I look forward to playing with whoever is ultimately selected.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17991
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Seven
right-aligned image

Name: 53\/3|\| (Seven)
Race: Warforged (using Mask of Many Faces incantation to appear human)
Class: Fighter 1 / Warlock (hexblade) 3 (patron is the Machine)

Appearance: Seven, when not engaging his holo projectors to appear human, has the shape of an average human, though his body is comprised of interlocking plates made from some form of organic metal. A single large ocular lens is the only thing than adorns his otherwise smooth head.

Personality: Seven is incredibly curious, and has been given a large breadth of freedom by the Machine to act according to its own wishes. In some ways, its ignorance can appear child-like. It will do whatever it can to aid and protect its allies, never placing itself above the lives of those it is protecting.

Background: Last of its Kind (Custom)

Traits: I’m oblivious to etiquette and social expectations. Outside of the tools needed to perform my task, I assign no value to material possessions.
Ideal: As the last of my kind, and in an unknown world, I must be ready to adapt and learn from my experiences.
Bond: Nothing is more important than protecting the other members of my Team.
Flaw: I will follow my primary directive (protection), regardless of the outcome.

History
In May of 1946, amidst the return of the gods and lesser creatures long since forgotten to time, a machine came online. To call it a computer would be a disservice, as its power and sentience could not be limited by such a label. A hybridization of technology and the arcane from an age long past, it surveyed the world it had woken into. Partially damaged from the decay of time and the unrelenting war between humans and the Race, its memory was fragmented. It could recall its functions and purpose, to protect, but little else. With little more information to go on, it resumed what it had been designed to do, by creators that have long since perished.

One by one, it went through its inventory of assets and found them all offline, whether powerless or destroyed, it did not know. One unit however, 53\/3|\|, was still functional.

The machine sent its remaining unit out into the world to gather information. There was so much chaos and war, that it became difficult to determine who it should be protecting. In the end, it determined that the humans and newly discovered humanoids were the ones to be protected. It was not long after, that the Machine offered the services of its one unit to the governments of Earth.

53\/3|\| was quickly offered over to the Team, where its unique nature and abilities would best be served. The Machine, whose connection with 53\/3|\| was tenuous, determined this was due to a damaged communications array, buried deep underground, that had been destroyed during an explosion. The Team decided to send 53\/3|\|, now simply called Seven, back in time to prevent the attack.

Seven was successful, and when he returned to the present, found that the full capabilities of the Machine were now at its disposal.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Jul 5th, 2022 at 04:03 PM.