Mechanics Character creation - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shipwrecked - New player initiative
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 503
Baron Sarin Baron Sarin Baron Sarin Baron Sarin Baron Sarin Baron Sarin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bais osa View Post
What does this mean? Can the bonus spell be any level 1 spell, even one that my character does not know? Don't I also get a bonus level 2 spell per day?
Yes, you have it correct on the sheet now. With Spells, there are two different attributes: Spells known, and Spells per day (from now on Spell Slots)

Spells Known are the list of spells that are available to your character. Essentially if it is not on this list, you will not be able to use it. As a bard, you will gain spells known every level expanding your repitoir.

Spell Slots are the amount of a certain level spell you can actually cast in a day. This is where your bonus comes in, you will be able to cast 4 total level 1 spells per day (a normal bard of your level would only cast 3). You will get a bonus level 2, 3, and even 4 spell. You will only be able to use these bonus spells when you are able to cast that level spell (have at least one spell known).

So Spells known gives you the options, and Spell Slots are the resource used to cast the spells. I hope this makes sense and I didn't confuse of belabor the point. There is one other nuance with spells and slots, Cantrips:

Cantrips (or 0 level spells) that you know can be cast as many times during the day without using any spell slots. This makes them pretty useful in the right circumstances but they are typically a lot weaker than higher level spells.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bais osa View Post
This is something I noticed while creating my character for the NPSG. You need to have items called Artisan's Tools and Thieves' Tools, and if not, the Craft and Disable Device checks suffer a -2 penalty respectively. There might be other such penalties, but I am not aware of them.
Got it, makes sense. This is looking good!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
bais osa
I guess that my character sheet is complete. So can I use different unknown level 1 spells on different days, or do I have to use the same unknown spell chosen on day 1 everyday?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
So, I'm a little confused about "un"known spells.

For known spells, you choose the known spells and that is a fixed list of the spells you have access to until you add to the list by leveling up. You can cast anything on that list (provided you have the spell slot). Does this make sense?

So for Henri, he will be able to cast disguise self and charm person up to 4 times per day in some combination (his spell slots). He can use 3 charm person and 1 disguise self, or 2 and 2 etc.

He wont be able to change the spells on the list after this but will be able to add to them. Hope that clears it up.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
bais osa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Sarin View Post
For known spells, you choose the known spells and that is a fixed list of the spells you have access to until you add to the list by leveling up. You can cast anything on that list (provided you have the spell slot). Does this make sense?

So for Henri, he will be able to cast disguise self and charm person up to 4 times per day in some combination (his spell slots). He can use 3 charm person and 1 disguise self, or 2 and 2 etc.

He wont be able to change the spells on the list after this but will be able to add to them. Hope that clears it up.
Yes, this is what I had initially thought. But I couldn't understand (and still don't) by what you meant by 'a bonus 1 first level spell per day (not known)' in post no. 29. Sorry if I am not understanding something obvious.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh I just was trying to clarify that its a bonus spell per day not a bonus spell known. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
bais osa
Ah, that clears it up. Thank you.