Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Cypher > The Devil You Know
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29922
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
Make them up! Cyphers always made the most sense in Numenera, where nobody in the setting really understood anything about the world. But yeah--I think it's a way for you to help set the parameters of what is possible.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Semper Fi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 757
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
****! A Cypher game! I'll be watching with great interest.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 11:35 AM
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16294
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
Found out about this through a POTM thread. Wondered if a link to the advert post could be posted? Always like the whole film-noir detective stuff, and even had one on here for a while.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 12:03 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43321
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed View Post
Found out about this through a POTM thread. Wondered if a link to the advert post could be posted? Always like the whole film-noir detective stuff, and even had one on here for a while.
Hey there, creed and Kerchunk! Thanks for your interest.

There wasn't an advertisement for the game. It's just a back-and-forth between two busy but game-addicted friends. This game is bound to move a rather glacial pace, but if you like the style, feel free to borrow whatever you like for a game of your own!

Last edited by moozuba; Dec 31st, 2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9139
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Glad to be hear. I'll roll up my sleeves and start reading a little more about Cypher. Looking forward to the game!
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
No system knowledge required for us to get started. We'll ease into that. I'm very much a story-forward kind of gamer.

The gist of Cypher is that everything is determined by rolls against a DC (cheat sheet below). There's also a free, easy version of the rules here.

Simply put, characters have 3 stats (Might, Speed, Intellect) and pools of points in each that grant bonuses to rolls. When attempting to accomplish a task that calls for a roll, you roll a d20, add modifiers, and compare it to the Difficulty Level which is always 3xN where N is the Difficulty Class set by the GM. So if a monster was a DC of 5, for example, you'd need a 15 or better to hit it.

DIFFICULTY/NPC LEVEL
0 Routine - Anyone can do this basically every time
1 Simple - Most people can do this most of the time
2 Standard - Typical task requiring focus, but most people can usually do this
3 Demanding - Requires full attention; most people have 50/50 chance to succeed
4 Difficult - Trained people have a 50/50 chance to succeed
5 Challenging - Even trained people often fail
6 Intimidating - Normal people almost never succeed
7 Formidable - Impossible without skills or great effort
8 Heroic - A task worthy of tales told for years afterward
9 Immortal - A task worthy of legends that last for lifetimes
10 Impossible - A task that normal humans couldn’t consider (but doesn’t break laws of physics)

When/if you take damage, you subtract points from your stat pool rather than an HP count. So instead of having 24 HP and losing 5, you'd lose a handful of Might points (for example). So as you get worn down in battle, your character becomes weaker, not just less healthy.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Oh, your special ability is called a Cypher in the game rules, but I won't require that language or an object you carry with you. I also won't expect you to carefully track money or anything like that. If something's within your means (per your character write-up), you can swing it. General expenditures will be gimmes and larger ones (like bribes or gear purchases) will have to be acquired first.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, gents. One thread is up!

You're both going to have your own games with different plotlines. I will TRY to keep things as consistent as possible for the sake of my own sanity and to allow the games to potentially overlap in the future, but no promises.

Gath, yours will take a bit more setting up, I think. Hopefully you'll enjoy what I have in mind.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Put on a happy face.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35462
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Awesome! I don't mind a bit more time. Just sitting down to work on mechanics. Hoping to get that taken care of today.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Put on a happy face.

Tools
User Statistics
Just a heads up, I am retooling my character concept a bit.

Might not end up with what I originally proposed. But it will still fit with the writeup.

Edit:

Updated my character post!

Are we intended to read each other's threads or keep things separate?

Last edited by Gath; Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
Gath, your thread is up and running!

You're not required to read the other threads, but you aren't forbidden from doing so, either.

The plots are separate (for now) and may diverge quite a bit. If you find it interesting to read the other thread, go right ahead.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:31 PM
Put on a happy face.

Tools
User Statistics
Getting better, but still new to Cypher.

I may have rushed things, but I think it is sorted out now.

The situation felt dire, so I decided to roll with it. Feels like I am going in blind.

Exciting!

Hope it goes well!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 12:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Thanks for getting us started, mooz! Here we go!
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
This is awesome, mooz! I just have a few quick questions that might be in relation to my unfamiliarity with this system; so please feel free to say read the book!
  1. I assume that Frank's powers - and most folk's powers if they have them - are a secret? If so, how much of a secret? Do enough people have "gifts" that it is relatively common place to see them or speak about them? As things are, I am not planning on Frank revealing anything unless absolutely necessary. Would that approach be the typical way people think in regard to powers in this world?
  2. Do I need to make a roll to assess Frank's immediate reaction to the gruesomeness within the room? If so, I am curious if he might get bonuses or what not as I view him as more innately comfortable with the dead. This is probably my prompt to create his character sheet.
  3. Do I need to make any rolls to activate his powers? I will likely want him to at least "listen" to the dead and possibly whisper a thing or two in their direction if the opportunity presents itself.
Thank You!
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 08:29 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Iron DM 2015  

Hall of Fame 2014  

Hall of Fame DM 2016

Tools
User Statistics
It's never a problem to ask questions.

1. I also assume that Frank has kept these secret. There are four sorts of people in this setting: regular humans, hybrid human-elder (basically abominations born of eldritch horrors mating with humans), bio-engineered humans (also called "blessed" or "elder touched" - these are people who have selectively been infused with elder DNA to trigger mutations that lead to powers; most of these folks choose this, some are the results of experiments, some are the natural children of others who previously received infusions; many of these attempts end badly), and Elder Ones (the invaders and rulers, pure eldritch horror, the Duke is one of these).

"Gifts" are therefore not abnormal, but certain groups will look down upon or fear them while others will celebrate them. Most regular humans are uneasy with those who are gifted.

2. Not necessarily, but you are welcome to do so! I'll let you know when a dice roll is REQUIRED, but you're welcome to leave the narrative to chance as often as you wish! Gath has been making a number of rolls in his thread, for example, and I abide by the results. I'm wholly flexible in this regard. When we come to something you have to roll for, I'll spell it out for you in OOC comments.

3. Again, not necessarily, HOWEVER, it would be a good idea in this case for attempting to dig deeper or solicit information not willingly provided.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 12:15 PM
Put on a happy face.

Tools
User Statistics
In the case of the Mystic ability (You’re trained in all actions involving identifying or understanding the supernatural. pg 53), I was really uncertain how that should work. I don't think I constructed that roll properly and I should have asked first. I was honestly in a rush of excitement to figure things out.

I often volunteer rolls to speed up gameplay, in particular with play by post. But that's a habit formed around the presumption that the game is based on chance. Not every game is, or at least as heavily so.

I have some questions as well. I've played Numenera before but I skipped the skills options so I am new to these mechanics. Probably did it wrong, but it seemed to work out at the time.
  • In regard to Mystical, do you feel that 'supernatural' applies to the alien invaders?
  • How do you feel that asset should be applied in the game?
    • Should it be its own roll, or modify other rolls/abilities?
  • Is Medicine used as a knowledge check, or an action, or both?