Game Thread The 4th of Neth - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Crypt of the Everflame
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:18 AM
Foxtrot's Avatar
Foxtrot Foxtrot is offline
Outlaw Squirrel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 24th, 2020
RPXP: 6595
Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot
Posts: 3,584
left-aligned image
Idiot! Lucien mentally chided himself. Power was nothing without precision. To get caught up in the excitement like he did was exactly what he should have tried to avoid. That was as rookie of a mistake as he could have made swinging so recklessly. How could I have been so foolish? It was then that he heard one of the females shout out that the orcs were only illusions. Well, maybe not quite as eloquently, but the point was made nonetheless. Once more Lucien swore at himself silently for missing such an obvious ruse. The priority would be to find the one responsible for the illusions and stop him or her. Still, Lucien had his doubts and wanted to see for himself. Besides, it seemed the animal was now on the hunt for whoever might be behind this attack. The rest of them could do what was necessary to prevent anyone from getting injured during it.

The attack itself brought up a number of questions Lucien tried to keep at bay. Who was behind this? Was it some kind of ploy conceived by the villagers to mess with them much like some of the other events of the morning or was it something more sinister? If it was the villagers, this seemed to be a long ways away from the village to create such a trap. If it wasn't the villagers, then what was the motivation for whoever was behind this? Perhaps there was even another option. It was something he would need to think about after the current crisis was ended, that was for sure.

Taking up a defensive stance with the orc he had attacked the Inquisitor
Dice Will Save:
1d20+6 (20)+6 Total = 26
Not sure if this roll is right or not, but figured I would try it anyway. If it is wrong please just use the Perception roll from later in the paragraph
looked closely for any signs of illusion coming from the approaching orc. His eyes shifted for a brief second
Dice Perception:
1d20+7 (16)+7 Total = 23
to see if he could spot the magician behind the attack before he turned his attention back toward the attacking orc. Even so, he wasn't about to take any unnecessary chances.
Dice Attack Roll:
1d20+3 (12)+3 Total = 15
Striking once more with his blade at the orc near him, the Inquisitor looked to perhaps
Dice Damage:
2d6+4 (4, 4)+4 Total = 12
dispel the deception, if that was even possible.

Quick StatsLucien, Level 1 Human Inquisitor (Sheet)
HP: 10/10, Init: +2, Speed: 30/20 Senses: Spirit Sense
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat: 14, Fort: +3, Refl: +2, Will: +5 (+6 against illusion (phantasm) spells)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Perception +7 (+9 to avoid Surprise), Sense Motive +8 (+9 when face to face with speaker), Stealth +3, Intimidate +4, Heal +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4
Condition: Normal
Wielding: Greatsword
Spell: 0 level (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light - 1st Level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat

Last edited by Foxtrot; Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 03:44 AM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
AnneaAnnea let out a hiss as her second blade obviously struck true, but didn't produce the result she expected. Instead of a long, bloody gash across its thigh the orc just "felt" less solid. She had felt the resistance of her weapon as it passed through the creature, but it wasn't the resistance of muscle and tendons but something wierd.

As she heard Renna's scream, Annea roared again in a way you would rather expect from a wild animal than a small girl and in a quick upward motion this time,
Dice hit1:
d20+2 (3)+2 Total = 5

Dice dmg1:
d6 2

Dice hit2:
d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21

Dice dmg2:
d6 3

confirm crit
Dice crit:
d20+2 (2)+2 Total = 4

sliced across the orc's body again.


Stats
 
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~

Last edited by kenardX; Jun 2nd, 2014 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:44 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
With the orc focused on Rayne it's no surprise at all that Jasper's dagger
Dice Roll:
1d20+0 (8)+0 Total = 8
strikes home in the orc's flesh, though his followup is a little less successful, glancing off of the creatures armor unsuccessfully.

Over the tree-trunk the southernmost orc roars at his fallen and wounded comrades, hefting his great battleaxe to
Dice Attack:
1d20+5 (17)+5 Total = 22
Dice Damage:
1d12+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
swing at Lucien with all the anger and might that he can muster. The strike lands true, and though the pain is clear and distinct, at the same time it seems unusually fleeting.

Lucien's returned assault strikes exactly as intended this time, with the added bonus of sending the orcs head dropping the ground, followed a moment later by it's body.

In her hunting Emma catches a blink of what might have been a robe disappearing through the trees, and though Gohei hops through the bushes he finds nothing there, though there is plenty of evidence that something had been there moments before that has now vanished, including a thickly pungent smoke that strikes Rayne as being familiar, even though she can't quite seem to place where it's from, it does strike her as being generally harmless in nature.

Though Annea's movement and the Orc's jerking motions from the wound that Jasper inflicted, her second dagger lands true, and with a roar of confusion and pain the orc drops dead with just the lightest trickle of blood. Not that there's much time to examine the corpse, because as soon as it hits the ground, all three of the bodies vanish in a faint puff of smoke.

It is not, however, just the orcs that disappear, it is also the wounds that they had inflicted. The whole thing was little more than an illusion that could do no real harm to the Lamp-bearers in the end.

EnemyInitiativeLowest AC HitTouchDamage TakenVisible WeaponsConditionsKnown Buffs
Orc South 5 15 ?? 12 1d20+5 1d12+4/x3dmgGreataxe Dead None
Orc East 1 23 ?? 14 1d20+5 1d12+4/x3dmgGreataxe Dead None
Orc West 12 18 ?? 18 1d20+5 1d12+4/x3dmgGreataxe Dead None
Map
Combat Ended
__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.

Last edited by RainbowMagicPen; Jun 5th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 05:41 PM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

Jasper sheaths his daggers and picks up the lamp.

"I wonder what the point of that was? "

He looks around the group. "Someone from town, making us work together?"

One by one he eyes up his companions. "I only know of two people able to do magic in town... Holgast and my grandfather. Anyone remember seeing either of them this morning?"

He then moves over to the base of the tree, looking to see if it was cut recently, or is a natural deadfall.

A thought strikes him. "Rayne, did you learn from Holgast? Was he teaching anyone else?"



 

Last edited by aerondor; Jun 5th, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 03:55 AM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
AnneaWhen the last orc fell and they puffed up in smoke, Annea turned to Jasper who was standing closest to her. For a moment it looked as though she would strike again, but then the rage faded from her eyes and she let both arms sink to her sides, slumping slightly.

"What..?" She said weakly while letting her gaze wander from one companion to another. Only taking in that they all looked ready to fight, weapons blazing and alert, she grabbed her swords more vigorously again and took a step back from Jasper.
Dice Perception:
d20+6 (13)+6 Total = 19

to try and see if anything else is weird, besides everybody looking fight ready
Checking out her surroundings she asks:"What's going on here?"
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Foxtrot's Avatar
Foxtrot Foxtrot is offline
Outlaw Squirrel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 24th, 2020
RPXP: 6595
Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot
Posts: 3,584
left-aligned image
"It would seem someone is toying with us," Lucien responded to the young girl as he returned his large blade to its resting place on his back, "What the purpose behind it is remains to be seen. Although Jasper's questions seem to have some credence and may be the right line to pursue." The Inquisitor tried to remember if he had noticed either of the magic users at the ceremony, but in all of the chaos of that event couldn't quite remember if they were there or not. It was a lesson to pay closer attention in the future he supposed. His gloved hand reached to his breast where the illusionary wound had struck him hard. The thought that if that had been a real attack he might not have made it lingered in his mind even as the tingling had stopped.

The lamp appeared to be safe in the hands of Jasper. That was a relief. If they had been deceived and lost the lamp, it would have meant failure before they had really even begun. Lucien turned and looked over toward Emma calling out to her, "Did you find anything?"

Quick StatsLucien, Level 1 Human Inquisitor (Sheet)
HP: 10/10, Init: +2, Speed: 30/20 Senses: Spirit Sense
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat: 14, Fort: +3, Refl: +2, Will: +5 (+6 against illusion (phantasm) spells)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Perception +7 (+9 to avoid Surprise), Sense Motive +8 (+9 when face to face with speaker), Stealth +3, Intimidate +4, Heal +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4
Condition: Normal
Wielding: Greatsword
Spell: 0 level (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light - 1st Level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM
okashii's Avatar
okashii okashii is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2016
RPXP: 692
okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii okashii
Posts: 1,733
"Considering how long I've had to bug him just to teach me, I really doubt it Jasper. Holgast is too much of a recluse I guess." -replied Rayne, then looked at the confused Gohei.
"Whoever is responsible, I don't think there is much sense in rushing blindly into the woods with no tracks or scent left to follow, we should just count our blessings that the orcs were mere illusions and continue with our task."

Last edited by okashii; Jun 7th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:58 PM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

Jasper nods at Ryane. "Agreed. While we are here though, it would be a kindly thought to remove this fallen tree from the path.."

He approaches the fallen tree and puts a hand on it, trying to determine if the tree also is an illusion, or if that part of the 'ambush' had been real.

 
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Hound's Avatar
Hound Hound is offline
The Canadian Master Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2023
RPXP: 16764
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
Posts: 10,071
The Farmer's Daughter
left-aligned image
Emma says nothing, too embarrassed by all her own shouting, however she quick leaps to aid Jasper. With her tremendous farmer strength, she should be able to push the log off the road with out much trouble.

Emma Renard
 


Gohei the Red Fox
 
__________________
"This is where the fun begins."
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Foxtrot's Avatar
Foxtrot Foxtrot is offline
Outlaw Squirrel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 24th, 2020
RPXP: 6595
Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot
Posts: 3,584
left-aligned image
And I thought I was quiet, Lucien thought to himself as Emma moved toward the others near the tree. He was still a little disturbed by the fact that someone was toying with them. Lucien didn't like being the plaything of others. He didn't like a lot of things, but that one in particular was one that was fairly high on his list. The group itself had fared well. Better than he expected at first and better than he did in general. It was a bit alarming in that regard. Here he thought that they were the ones that needed him, when in fact had they not warned him of the illusion, he might never had figured it out. It was a blow to his pride for certain. A frustrating one at that. Regardless, the danger had seemed to pass and it sounded like everyone was more than willing to continue on their way towards the ultimate goal of obtaining the Everflame. That was fine by him. Lucien had little desire to hunt down someone who would most likely come at them again if he were a true enemy. The search for truth could be put on hold for the time being. Better to focus on the mission at hand for now.

The Inquisitor stood stoically in the path letting his
Dice Perception:
1d20+7 (4)+7 Total = 11
eyes wander about to watch for danger while the others were distracted by the fallen tree. It would have been simple enough to just go over it, but if they wanted to move it for now, who was he to argue. The break would give him more time to rest and reflect on the day's events to get a sense of what might be going on behind the curtains.

Quick StatsLucien, Level 1 Human Inquisitor (Sheet)
HP: 10/10, Init: +2, Speed: 30/20 Senses: Spirit Sense
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat: 14, Fort: +3, Refl: +2, Will: +5 (+6 against illusion (phantasm) spells)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Perception +7 (+9 to avoid Surprise), Sense Motive +8 (+9 when face to face with speaker), Stealth +3, Intimidate +4, Heal +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4
Condition: Normal
Wielding: Greatsword
Spell: 0 level (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light - 1st Level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat

Last edited by Foxtrot; Jun 10th, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 04:22 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
Clear the Road
The fallen log is most definitely real, and it's origin is perfectly natural as the broken stump off to the side seems to indicate. Though some of the wood is rotted from rainfall and pests and breaks away on the initial push, once a still-firm bit of wood can be found it rolls off to the side easily enough, leaving behind bugs and bark and a smattering of moss on the path, but nothing that would pose a serious hazard. It would seem no one had noticed the fallen log, since it's not usually until after harvest season that trade picks up this doesn't come as a surprise.





The danger most definitely seems to have passed, it an illusion could truly be called a danger, and there is little else to be seen in the narrow path at the moment. With the pipe smoke rapidly fading there is nothing left to track their mysterious attacker by, and nothing but elongating shadows and the cries of birds to keep the group company on the road.


500xp gained
__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM
aerondor's Avatar
aerondor aerondor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11453
aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor aerondor
Posts: 10,661
left-aligned image

Jasper Vargidan

The road restored, Jasper once again 'mounts up'. It is not without a wince that he does so. For all his posturing, it appears that Jasper is perhaps not a hardened rider.

Ouch. Need a padded saddle. Why has nobody invented one yet?

He sniffs the air. Pipe smoke... interesting.

Then, with a last check of the lantern, starts off down the forest road once more.

"Well, at least we know none of us will run away if we run into real orcs!"

 
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
kenardX's Avatar
kenardX kenardX is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2015
RPXP: 328
kenardX kenardX kenardX kenardX
Posts: 747
AnneaLost in thought, Annea silently watches the others move away the tree trunk. Putting back together the last few minutes, adding pieces of the puzzle she had before and that were now revealed to her. Absentmindedly she put her swords back in her scabbards, no need to wipe them down for blood, for the illusions left none and ignoring the general bustling of remounting and "preparing to go on" around her.

"Must've been Holgast or Vagidan. Weren't in the crowd when we settled out..." she murmurs to herself.
__________________
~*The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.*~
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Hound's Avatar
Hound Hound is offline
The Canadian Master Jedi
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2023
RPXP: 16764
Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound Hound
Posts: 10,071
The Farmer's Daughter
left-aligned image
Emma whispers, barely loud enough for the group to hear, "Isn't this kind of a bad idea? I mean... if we think all the dangers are just staged events by our own villagers, what would happen if a real emergency happened? This seems... really stupid and dangerous..."

Emma Renard
 


Gohei the Red Fox
 
__________________
"This is where the fun begins."
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Foxtrot's Avatar
Foxtrot Foxtrot is offline
Outlaw Squirrel
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 24th, 2020
RPXP: 6595
Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot Foxtrot
Posts: 3,584
left-aligned image
Lucien stood quietly and listened as the others spoke about the encounter. They seemed so sure it was someone from the village that staged the event. It made sense, but was it wise to dismiss other possibilities so quickly? He wasn't sure. For now the danger seemed to have passed and it looked like everyone short of Emma were ready to move on. The Inquisitor certainly was. This charade had nothing but slow them down and fill him with doubts better left behind. What was done was done and they needed to keep moving forward even if everything they came across was staged by the villagers. Just the thought of being toyed with like that made him cringe.

He looked to Emma and nodded, "I agree. It is stupid. We can't move forward thinking that everything is some kind of sideshow attraction staged by the villagers. We need to take things seriously. We can deal with the villagers in our own way at a later time if they continue to plague us like this." Having said his piece, he waited for the others to get moving and followed behind. Mostly because he didn't like not being able to see everyone and everything, but partially because it gave him more time to try to figure out the puzzles of just who these people were and why they were chosen.

Quick StatsLucien, Level 1 Human Inquisitor (Sheet)
HP: 10/10, Init: +2, Speed: 30/20 Senses: Spirit Sense
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat: 14, Fort: +3, Refl: +2, Will: +5 (+6 against illusion (phantasm) spells)
Stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Perception +7 (+9 to avoid Surprise), Sense Motive +8 (+9 when face to face with speaker), Stealth +3, Intimidate +4, Heal +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +4
Condition: Normal
Wielding: Greatsword
Spell: 0 level (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light - 1st Level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat

Last edited by Foxtrot; Jun 16th, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB