Introduction Hvelkin's First Manhunt - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Homesteading in Hvelkin
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 742
Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist Brainfist
As the two parties gathered on the hill Ohkold smiled and instructed Miranda to drop her weapons, then his small group calmly took a seat on the ground. Were one to look at Ohkold's behavior they could scarce tell that mere moments ago he had been in a fight for his life. Miranda and Taudek, on the other hand, seemed rather disgruntled at their leader's instructions, but any objections they had remained unsaid.

As the group gathered somewhat so that all could hear, Thomas, Dirrack, and Riswayne followed suit, with no sign of Trinity. As the dwarven couple joined the group they seemed especially nervous. With all joined Ohkold spoke. "I suppose the first thing we should do is get everyone on the same page huh? I'll start in hopes of reaching an understanding more quickly. As I have explained to your friends who visited my camp, we provide a second chance to those who have come to Hvelkin and lost everything. Sadly, the only way we can provide them with the supplies needed to establish themselves is to take from those who have more. From time to time we perform small raids on settlers and take a portion of what they have but leaving enough for them to still get started, if a little bit slower. Over the course of a month or so we can provide enough supplies for a family to get started here." He paused for a moment, then spoke slowly. "Let me make one thing abundantly clear: We are not murderers here. We are just trying to help families make the best of things after Hvelkin spits in their faces. If you are looking for bandits you'd best head north, and I'd thank you to rid this world of their like." The last was spoken in a brief flash of anger. "I suppose the last thing you need to know is why we left our camp and headed this way, we heard someone cry out in surprise. I would be willing to guess you know more about than I, but for some reason we thought it a good idea to make sure no one was in need of help in our home."

OOCAs far as the scout I'm going to npc Traven as keeping her out of sight.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Retired

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7146
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
"Allow me to field that concern, sir, being that I was directly involved." Vanidir too sits on the ground, his legs crossed, back straight as a board. He responds in a clear, formal tone, as though he were presenting evidence. "Frankly, your presence here surprised us, and we sent a small number to investigate and determine hostility. A scout of yours discovered our base camp and screamed - though I use the word 'scout' loosely, as one trained properly would not reveal her position, and would instead report back to her superior silently."

His voice drops back out of its derogatory intent. "However, she has not been harmed. Instead, she has been properly detained until such a time as our immediate safety is no longer in question. In accordance with the Code, she may now be released, as she is not to be accused of any crime." Turning to see those behind him, he gestures a signal indicating the captive's release.

"Now as it stands, sir, your confession of robbery does you no favor in my mind, and were Ortanian law still in effect, I would be obligated to arrest you and bring you in for trial. Regretfully, my jurisdiction does not extend to this land, so I will abstain from voicing our intent and allow somebody more... experienced in the ways of this 'frontier' justice to speak."
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13343
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Joining the others nearby their small group, Ramas rests his hand on his weapon handles "This man speaks for none of us. He is a parasite that has been proven to be rather difficult to remove. TO be more accurate we have a contract to find and deal with any bandits. Since you just declared this to be you, You going to come peacefully for a trial or in a sack? Sucks and all, but a contract is a contract. "
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35526
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
While most of the party sat down with Ohkold, Alvyn had another pressing issue to address. "Shaggy? Where did you go boy? Come here!" he called after his faithful mount, as he darted off in the direction the dog had run to after being kicked.
Old May 1st, 2016, 05:50 PM
Space Cowboy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 782
summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid
Laramie remained standing, now with her arms folded in front of her, further back from the main group. She had already overheard everything Ohkold explained and would have been happy to quietly move on knowing what she did, but as the fighting broke out she had decided to throw her lot in with the group she actually knew. Even if she had only met said group that morning.

Not that she agreed with what they were saying just now. "Ramas, as much as it would be easier to take these people back to Townfall and call it a day than move further north looking for the actual scum, we need to keep going. Maybe these people are technically who we're looking for, but they are not the bandits you call them. True bandits wouldn't ask to talk unless they're demanding a ransom, and look at what we're doing now." Laramie was moving closer to Ramas as she spoke, not necessarily to intimidate - but more to elaborate her convictions. "Besides, would you feel comfortable tearing apart a community like this? As much of a thug as you are, I don't think you're that kind of monster." She held Ramas' gaze for a while, waiting to see how he'd react to the challenge.

"But he is right about that bastard," Laramie said, guesturing at Vanidir.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old May 1st, 2016, 06:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13343
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
"Doesn't matter who the real bad bandits versus the not so bad bandits are. A contract is a contract. We were contracted to bring in them in and they admitted to the their actions. My personal view doesn't matter one bit and I don't lost sleep at night for what I do. I did the same thing back on the mainland and I will do the same thing here, sell my sword. If that involves killing people, so be it. Evicting it so some company can build a mega mine in their corner of the world, okay. Clear bandits, done. The harbormaster bought my sword and all of your swords as well to bring these folks in. Don't like it, shouldn't have been a mercenary, but a contract is a contract and you don't welsh on one. " Ramas replied.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:49 PM
Retired

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7146
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
"Don't be so quick to slander me, you wretched dog," Vanidir snaps at Ramas, "or you may not gain my support when you need it. I happen to agree with you, and I believe I made that clear before you denounced me." To Ohkold he says, "Surely you see that, despite what illusions of nobility you harbor, the raiding must cease, if some modicum of civilization be maintained. As I find it highly unlikely that your entire community has its hand in robbery, I'd recommend the responsible parties step forward. Should they be unwilling, we are in contact with witnesses who would be more than cooperative in identifying the culprits."
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:01 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
At Vanidir's bidding Traven released the scout, who joined with Ohkold's group. As Alvyn searched for Shaggy he found he did not have to go far as the dog had merely left eyeshot. A quick look over the animal revealed that no lasting harm had been done and that the kick had merely startled him. When Avlyn finished checking him for injuries Shaggy licked his face excitedly.

Ohkold waited patiently with his entourage while the bounty hunters bickered. When a chance for him to speak finally presented itself he took it. "Firstly, I do not see myself, or my men as guilty of anything. Sure on a small scale you could say that we are harming the reputation of Hvelkin and delaying people's chances at fulfilling their dreams. But we have financed over forty families getting settled on land that is rightfully theirs. We have helped people who were robbed even more truly than the people we take from. The people we help likely would have to scrape and beg for passage back to Ortan if they were lucky, most would likely have slowly starved."

The large orc calmly reclined, leaning on his elbows. "People have come here, spending their life savings to purchase passage only to find that the captain of their ship demanding some ridiculously large handling fee before they can claim belongings that are rightfully theirs. Some come here to find that someone else has already claimed their plot of land and that they must travel another week before they can settle. Do I wish that I could get these people established without resorting to robbery? Yes, of course I do. Sadly I live in this world, not some where things go perfectly all the time, were that the case we wouldn't be needed at all. So it is that we will not stop what we do, we help people the same as you are trying to do. I will not apologize for that, nor will any of my men." He paused for a moment then spoke one last time. "I do appreciate your treatment of my scout, and I'm sure you can understand her being on edge as she was merely returning home and found several Ortanian agents outside. I must admit though, your mention of a witness interests me, as I would imagine anyone we had robbed would be tending their homestead as opposed to seeking us out for revenge."

Last edited by Brainfist; May 3rd, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35526
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Having found Shaggy, and had his face licked, Alvyn was not in a much better mood. He heard Ohkold continue his rhetoric about how their crimes were not really crimes. Typical, and of course nobody ever thought they were in the wrong. His words meant very little, though deep down Alvyn did sympathise with him in some ways. What they needed was for their eye witnesses, Dirrack and Riswayne to identify if these were the ones they were looking for. Alvyn was sure that there could be more bandits further in the hills, but that was not his concern for the moment. They needed to finish the job they were given, to help Alvyn repair at least a bit of his reputation.

Alvyn came back over the hill and interrupted the meeting. "Dirrack, there is really only one thing we care about. Is this the lot that stole from you and your wife? If not, then we are wasting our time here. If it is, then it really doesn't matter WHY they did what they did. Ohky can talk himself blue in the face if it helps him sleep better at night, but it doesn't change anything."

Last edited by Bhelogan; May 10th, 2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
When Alvyn asked Dirrack if these were the people who robbed he and his wife he exclaimed. "About time you folks got around to that! Not only can I tell you that these people took everything we had, but I can show you who did it, it was the woman there that led them." He pointed to Miranda. At this Ohkold turned to her and spoke with chilling calm. "This man accuses you of taking everything he and his wife had, and yet your report showed you took the usual percentage. You robbed this man and his wife for your own personal gain and lied to me about it and jeopardized everything we do here. Rest assured this will be dealt with." He then turned to the group. "I am truly sorry for what my company did to your friend, we will do everything we can to replace their lost goods and send them on their way. If I may ask though what exactly were the terms of your employment, what exactly were you contracted to do?"
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Space Cowboy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 782
summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid summerdruid
"We were told that bandits had been harrassing homesteaders, and that these events ranged from robbery to murder. But based on what you've said so far, I'd assume you're not responsible for the latter, unless there's more she's hiding," Laramie said, guesturing at Miranda. "Anyway, the job was to deal with these bandits 'by any means necessary,' so I think that as long as you deal with her appropriately, we're finished with that part of the problem.

"But," Laramie continued, looking towards the North, "as you said, there are actual bandits further out that we need to take care of. And, whether the rest of my party agrees with me or not, I intend to head that way to deal with them."
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy