Game Thread Shipwrecked on the Shiv! - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Serpent's Skull
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Finder of Paths's Avatar
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths is offline
& Treasure!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 1st, 2011
RPXP: 437
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths
Posts: 219
End of Round 3

Lamenting his lack of choice in combat options, Al steps forwards and jabs at the scorpion with his knife. He manages to slip the point between two pieces of carapace, but receives another wound for his troubles (1 damage). Realising the others can deal with the second scorpion, Koril moves to support Sasha as she battles alone. Though his blow bounced off the scorpion's carapace, it distracted the beast enough for Sasha to lop off one claw with her kukuri. A spray of blood elicits another giggle from the women, and she spins the kukuri expertly in one hand. Though clearly near death, the scorpion tries to jab at the giggling woman with its stinger once more, but the attack lacks any real force.

Now armed, both Welter and Bingus move to support Al, whilst Gardel infuses a bit of Desna's good luck into the fighter to guide his blows. Gelik has wisely stepped backwards from the fight, getting himself out of harm's way, and leaving a spot for a melee fighter to step in. With a grin on his face, he launches into a story about a scorned woman who put scorpions in her husband's bed after she found out he was cheating on her. "...and his manliness was swollen for a week!" Crude as the story is, you can't help but laugh and your spirits lift slightly.

 


OOC:All:
Bless - +1 on attack rolls for next 4 rounds
Inspire Courage - +1 on attack and damage until I say otherwise
Welter:
Bit of Luck - Reroll ALL D20's rolled next turn, chose the best result.

Al did do 1 point of damage to the scorpion, I just forgot to add the red dot!
__________________
Very sick at the moment, posting only rarely when I can think clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
arguilios's Avatar
arguilios arguilios is offline
老龍
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 24th, 2023
RPXP: 4725
arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios arguilios
Posts: 1,766
"Huh?" Welter, stepping between the nearest scorpion and an approaching halfling, reacts to ... something ... as he steps forward, though to what he cannot say. But, in that instant, his step is quick and light; the battle feels already won. He smiles at his chitinous opponent as he swings his serrated blade at the beast's horny plate-covered head. That is the thing's head; isn't it?

Suddenly confused by this quandary, he shuffles poorly and feels it all he can do not to throw up again. Funny....

Last edited by arguilios; Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 03:59 AM
HenryLockwood's Avatar
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood is online now
Barbarus sum
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2023
RPXP: 22213
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Posts: 10,039
Al grimaces. How hard do I have to stab this thing?

Compensating for the mere scratch he dealt last time, Al puts a lot more weight behind his dagger. Unfortunately, the thrust is not as accurate as last time, despite - or maybe because of - the narrative being produced by the gnome behind him.

OOCStandard attack; to-hit 13 and damage 4.
__________________
On vacation - back in August!
Maps for my Wrath of the Righteous game
Pronouns: he/him/his, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Cherubaddon's Avatar
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon is offline
Laputan Machine
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2021
RPXP: 1567
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon
Posts: 1,363
AC 16, hp 11, Mage Armour 1 hour, blessed 4 round, inspire courage

Good to see I'm not the only one having fun, the young man thinks to himself as he sees the girl on the other side giggle at the scorpion's mutilated stump spraying blood all over her. Decided to make the most of the opening provided by her, he waits for the scorpion's stinger to be drawn backward, trying to gather momentum for another jab, before he lunges out, his vine-arm seizing the vermin's tail as high up as he can reach for maximum leverage, before violently jerking it down. Unfortunately however, he - or rather, the part of him currently making his combat decisions - underestimated the support given by the heavy chitinous carapace. Koril clenches his teeth and braces his feet in the sand, putting all his weight behind the arm in an attempt to, if breaking it is impossible, at least hinder any subsequent attacks.

OOCSwift Action: Arcane Strike
Standard Action: Attack (roll 9, damage 6)
__________________
Things without all Remedy should be without Regard. - Shakespeare, Macbeth

On holidays until mid-January. Apologies for intermittent posting.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
HPs 8 Ac 16/t 14/ff 13 blessed

Bingus took Diagonally left 1, then straight up 1. Attacking injured scorpion.a few steps forward, then brought his hammer down with a crunch upon the wounded scorpion's head. He figured that if he could take out the wounded one, or assist in taking it out, then the other one would be easy prey with everyone swarming it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Aldra's Avatar
Aldra Aldra is offline
Master of the Final Words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 31st, 2014
RPXP: 882
Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra
Posts: 2,704
14AC/9HP/Blessed (3 rounds), Inspire Courage

Gardrel saw the fighter (Who is he? I don't remember seeing him on the ship...) stumble a bit as he attacked, apparently still feeling a bit ill. The halfling reached up to help steady the man, channeling a bit more luck to him and saying, "Hold on just a bit longer, finish these things and we can all take a rest and figure out what's going on..."

OOCBit of Luck to Welter again, assuming the scorpion is still alive.
__________________
For such is the nature of men, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned;
Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves: For they see their own wit at hand, and other men's at a distance. -Thomas Hobbes
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
Finder of Paths's Avatar
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths is offline
& Treasure!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 1st, 2011
RPXP: 437
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths
Posts: 219
In a couple more hectic seconds, the battle is finished. Sasha finishes off the scorpion attacking her as it flop weakly on the sand, still giggling and grinning madly. The second scorpion rears up and continues to attack Al, stabbing his shoulder with its tail. Feeling woozy as poison rushes through his system, the alchemist misses with his attack entirely, and despite having a touch of luck, Welter finds his blade bouncing off tough carapace. However Bingus manages to find an opening, circling around the creature and burying the pick half of his hooked hammer deep in its side. With a bubbling hiss the last scorpion collapses, and the beach looks safe...though Al is still feeling the effects of the scorpion's poison.

Whilst the fighters catch their breath, Gelik rushes back to the other castaways and wakes them, gathering everyone in a circle. "So...we're on an island getting eaten by scorpions, probably the Smuggler's Shiv knowing our luck...I don't see anything but a pile of weapons....meaning, we're screwed."

OOC:Hooray, combat one over! Baptism by fire anyone?

Al: Seeing as combat is over, let's just do this all at once. Please make 4 Fortitude saves (you don't get to know the DC ), spanning over 4 rounds. The first success you make ends the effect of the poison, and I'll tell you the affect when I get the rolls
__________________
Very sick at the moment, posting only rarely when I can think clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:04 AM
HenryLockwood's Avatar
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood is online now
Barbarus sum
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2023
RPXP: 22213
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Posts: 10,039
Al grimaces as he tries to shake off the poison. "I did not want to wake up here. Whose fault is it, and when can we get sorted out? On the other hand, perhaps they're useful."

Al rummages in his pockets, finds an empty vial, and starts trying to extract the venom from the stinger of a dead scorpion.
__________________
On vacation - back in August!
Maps for my Wrath of the Righteous game
Pronouns: he/him/his, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Aldra's Avatar
Aldra Aldra is offline
Master of the Final Words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 31st, 2014
RPXP: 882
Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra Aldra
Posts: 2,704
As the fighting ended and Gelik gathered everyone back up, Gardrel took the opportunity to pick through the weapons, finding his precious starknife after a few seconds. Sighing with relief for more reasons than one, he went to join the others in the impromptu meeting. Noticing that some of the others had taken a bit of a beating, the halfling placed his starknife gently on the ground, and quietly chanted a prayer to Desna while the others began discussing. Knowing that with no immediate danger he could take his time, he made sure that he was filled to the brim with holy energy before releasing it, letting it wash over his 'shipmates' similar to the blessing he had given earlier. Only this time, it bolstered their bodies instead of their spirits.

Giving a small smile as the power finished flowing through him, the cleric turned his full attention to the discussion. "I don't think we're that bad off, actually," he said with a grin, "I know spells that create water and light, and I can set any firewood we have alight magically as well. And since Koril, at least, seems to have powers none of us were aware of, chances are we can at least survive till we find a way to get help."

OOCEveryone is healed for 6 HP by Channel Energy, that should take care of any damage during the fight if I am not mistaken.
__________________
For such is the nature of men, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned;
Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves: For they see their own wit at hand, and other men's at a distance. -Thomas Hobbes
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
Bingus Perception
Dice Roll:
d20+6 (12)+6 Total = 18
looked around the area for anything else of use, then calmly looked towards the forest, examining the local flora with an Knoledge nature
Dice Roll:
d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
appraising eye, hoping to spot some kind of edible plants that could sustain the party.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Finder of Paths's Avatar
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths is offline
& Treasure!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 1st, 2011
RPXP: 437
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths
Posts: 219
Al manages to shake off the effects of the poison with no lasting effects, just a momentary dizziness and then spends a few minutes carefully extracting the same toxins from one of the slain scorpions. After Gelik gathers everybody together (and a few more worried remarks and whining) Gardrel heals them all with a burst of energy. Cuts scab over and heal, bruises change from purple to yellow, then disappear, and a bit of the lightheadedness from dehydration disappears. There's some small talk about what to do next, especially from Aerys who immediately states "Well we need something to drink!" You've got a suspicion that the something would be the wine from the ship that she usually stank of.

Other than this, those of you that look around to take stock of the situation immediately realise a few things. Firstly, there's nothing on the horizon but water, you're a fair way from any land source (at least any that you can see from this part of the island). Secondly, there's a pile of weapons but nothing else, no food, no water, none of your possessions (including instruments, maps, alchemy kits, flint and steel). And for those with some survival training, that you're going to need a shelter and fire to have any chance at surviving. In jungles like these, biting insects emerge in their thousands when the sun goes down, many carrying deadly diseases. Without smoke to ward them off, it could be a quick fevered death for everyone. But to make this shelter needs a few tools that aren't in the pile of weapons, you could use your weapons for these tasks (especially Welter's saw-backed sword) of course, but it would take a far longer time to do so, and may result in a supbar shelter that needs constant repairing. The only place you could find such tools, along with food supplies and the rest of your gear would be the Jenivere.

Already scanning the horizon as the others talk, Bingus cries out "There she is!", pointing along the coastline. Roughly half a mile to the northwest a familiar shape is wedged between a cliff face and some very sharp rocks. The Jenivere is listing heavily to port, partially submerged and has a gaping hole in her hull through which water is rushing in with each wave. Though she seems wedged tightly for now, if the intensity of the waves increases, or there's a wind storm she could quickly be pushed out to sea, sink completely or just be dashed to pieces on the rocks.



OOC:Sometimes I'll give a person secret text because of a roll they made .

Al manages to extract two doses from the scorpion at his feet, however the one Sasha fought is too chopped up, and the one Koril killed in the water has already leaked its toxins out into the ocean. Know. Nature checks will help you determine the affects of the poison.

If you require one, there's a couple of hand weapons in the pile...nothing overly expensive, but an extra sword if you need one might go a long way. Plus you all gain back 6hp from Gardrel's magic of course (man I love PF Clerics).
__________________
Very sick at the moment, posting only rarely when I can think clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
"Well then," Bingus began after a glance at Aerys. He wondered briefly of she would start to get the shakes soon. That would be a minor problem, but they didn't need anymore problems than they currently had. "It would seem that some of the plants and the fruit they bear are edible, and we may be able to find a source of fresh water around, but we really need shelter and fire, food and...drink. We can get the tools we need from the Jenivere, if we hurry. It looks as if she won't be there for long. We'll need a raft. Not so much to get us out there, but to carry things back on. I'll look for suitable vines to use as rope, and if some of the rest of you could find some suitable logs, that would be great," Bingus gave the group a wan smile and rushed off to the treeline to
Dice Perception:
d20+6 (13)+6 Total = 19
gather vines.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
HenryLockwood's Avatar
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood is online now
Barbarus sum
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 21st, 2023
RPXP: 22213
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Posts: 10,039
"Well, this place isn't where I'd expected to be, but there's at least a chance of finding something interesting. Scorpion venom to start; not sure what it's like but a few experiments won't hurt. We might need food. I can set things on fire, so we don't need to worry about that.

Shelter? Yes, I suppose so. Any of you lot good at building? Oh, and if anyone's going swimming it should probably be me, 'cos I can be quite good at it really. Don't look at me like that! It takes a little bit of help from my pockets, but NONE OF YOU know what to do with your pockets at all. So I'll just get started."


With that Al, still muttering, begins rummaging through his pockets, finding a set of vials - some empty, some full - which he juggles together, eventually combining some of the contents and passing the result back and forth between vials. The purpose of this exercise is not immediately apparent, but as the wild-haired man holds the result up to the light, he smiles in apparent satisfaction.

"Is anyone else coming swimming?"

OOCAl's made two extracts of touch of the sea, each of which will grant him a swim speed of 30' for one minute. He'll then walk along the shore to the closest point to the wreck.
__________________
On vacation - back in August!
Maps for my Wrath of the Righteous game
Pronouns: he/him/his, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Cherubaddon's Avatar
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon is offline
Laputan Machine
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2021
RPXP: 1567
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon
Posts: 1,363
Koril stands by the group, still covered in blood and ichor, somewhat confused. The radiant clarity of instinct had gone the moment the last scorpion fell, and with it his assurance. He cannot remember quite clearly where he is, where he was before, or who the people with him are, but by the fact that one of them knows his name, he deduces asking now would only bring undue embarassment and odd looks. And besides, the situation calls for decisive action. Koril's favourite kind.

"Guess I'll be looking for some wood then," he says to nobody in particular, glassily looking over the endless expanse of water. As much as the young man would relish the opportunity to wash the gore off his face, immersing himself in salt water is out of the question. As he raises his vine-arm, it immediately sprouts thousands of tiny, ivy-like leaves that he uses to wipe most of the viscous unpleasantness off. Enough to suffice for the moment. That task done, the leaves suddenly lose their strength, turning brown. A moment later, they wither and die, falling off his arm - like a miniature autumn in the space of an instant. Paying them no heed, Koril leaves the group to scour the beach and the forest edge for jetsam and dead wood of size suitable for a small raft.

OOCWant me to make a check?
__________________
Things without all Remedy should be without Regard. - Shakespeare, Macbeth

On holidays until mid-January. Apologies for intermittent posting.

Last edited by Cherubaddon; Dec 6th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Finder of Paths's Avatar
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths is offline
& Treasure!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 1st, 2011
RPXP: 437
Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths Finder of Paths
Posts: 219
The other castaways are all taking this situation in different ways. Jask sits on the sand quietly, unable to dry himself or stretch and soothe sore muscles, as he's still manacled. The old warrior Ishirou is lovingly checking his katana hasn't be damaged at all, and pulls a small vial of oil from one pocket. Wiping off the worst of the seawater, he applies new oil and slides the sword into its scabbard. Sasha is still grinning madly after the fight, and is admiring her bloodstained swords in the sun. You're not sure how much of that is her being sun-touched, and her being...damaged. Meanwhile Gelik and Aerys have quickly gotten into a fight. The little gnome was harping on about how they're all doomed, and how any number of things could come and eat them right now. "Haven't you heard the stories?! Cannibals, monsters, jungle goats, and every deadly disease known and unknown! No one gets off the Shiv!" The tight-lipped half-elf responded by slapping Gelik's face so hard it sent him spinning into the sand. "Get a grip! Regardless of what you've heard, there's no reason to lay down and die is there?" As the half-elf looks down on him, Gelik's face contorts in a rage and he spits at her feet. "You dare touch me?!" he yells, leaping up quickly and somehow making his face look even angrier. "Yes, I do. I dare to touch anyone who'd prefer to whinge and moan about how it's not fair and we're doomed than actually do something about the situation." For effect, Aerys cracks her knuckles and rolls her neck from side to side.

Gelik's face calms some, and he turns away from her, stalking down the beach and sitting on a rock gazing out at the ocean. Clearly he hasn't forgotten the sailor who made the mistake of asking Aerys to share his bunk, and ended up with a nose broken in 2 places, not to mention a rather sore manhood. Turning her back on the sulking gnome, Aerys addresses the rest of the group. You see her hands are beginning to shake, and she gazes at the Jenivere, breathing out a deep sigh. "Look we need to get to the ship, there's something I really need...what in the hells are you doing?" she asks of Koril, looking at the pieces of driftwood he's assembled. "Look at the rocks out there, does it look like we can guide a raft through that swell? Not to mention the fact we'd have to launch it nearly a quarter-mile before the ship, when the sea is still close enough to the ground to do so." Where this expertise about the sea comes from you're not sure, she's shown no indication of it throughout the trip. What you can see however, is how her hands are beginning to shake and she keeps gazing at the Jenivere when her attention isn't needed elsewhere.

OOC:A perception check wouldn't hurt if you feel it might be necessary, I'm never going to tell you off for being prepared. Not that finding some driftwood would be very hard though.

Bingus has brought back some 30ft of vines in one trip, you'll need more than that to reach the deck. Any of you that have experience with ropes at all realise you would do well to braid some together for extra strength. Just give me some survival checks, or if you're not good at survival how about an aid another check? (DC10 survival) Or you could go scout the area or whatever else you like.
__________________
Very sick at the moment, posting only rarely when I can think clearly.

Last edited by Finder of Paths; Dec 6th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB