Game Thread Deep Thoughts: Getting There Is Half the Fun - Page 17 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 04:43 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5490
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,850
Storm
Storm Stands waiting. "So what do ya think?" asked the dragonborn when the others were done .




 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Wildblade ( pf1e?)

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 13th, 2022 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:57 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 3559
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 2,108
Tolan was walking along with the others. He stuck close to the group. Every noise the halfling heard, he instinctively grabbed at the nearest article of clothing. Just as quickly as his little hands grasped his allies, the rogue did his best (was not very convincing) to look as though he was not bothered.

The sight of the dead men and the wreck sent a shiver down his spine. The memories of the fish people that attacked on his last mission, as well as the sharkmen that almost struck him down on the small dinging, were fresh in his mind. Tolan stopped and stared at the scene, as it became dark the halfling found it harder to see. “So I don’t know about you all…but I am in no hurry to be attacked again. I can scout it out if you like. Slip in and out before anyone notices.” He looked around at the others thinking for a moment. “I have a hooded lantern I can use. I want to avoid the light spell…might make it easier for them to see me.”

OOC I am posting on my phone. So I will add the pic and stats later.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock

Last edited by Cheshire; Aug 10th, 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:53 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 21821
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,080
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
"Nah, hold off on that fer now, Bern. Honest y'all, I'm thinkin' Morgan's right. The wreck's took three lives at least already an' we got no idea how. I'd feel a lot better 'bout spyin' it out from a ways off fer the night, see if we learn anythin', an' hold off on tanglin' with it til we got daylight."




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 18329
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,006
Morgan
right-aligned image

Morgan returned to the rest of her pack that had remained in the darkness where they had arrived at the beach, and she felt a little more confident after finding no suspicious tracks for any sort of traffic between the wreck and the inland area. Upon her arrival Storm inquired what his packmates were thinking was the right thing to do, but before the water genasi could inform the others that nothing disconcerting had made its way off the beach in this area, Tolan was finally succumbing to the fear that had been growing in him throughout the day and in a reversal of courage and caution, the halfling crossbowman explained that he feared an attack more if they made camp and waited for the sunlight than if he snuck into the wreck alone with some sort of dimmed light source. Not only didn't make the suggestion much sense to Morgan, if anything she could only take it as another of Tolan's misguided attempts to make himself look more courageous than he was. On the Journey he had asked for protection, but now he chose braving the unknown murder scene alone when there was currently nothing besides the wreckage that posed any danger. If anything wants to attack us... my light would have already been seen... Morgan's wavy hair kept ebbing up and down around her head as her deep-green eyes were silently judging Tolan. Storm's own mental weaknesses had been difficult to overcome while at sea, but now on land it appeared that the halfling was losing himself instead. Now he was starting to act irrationally. The life cleric knew she had to intervene and protect him from himself.

Before Morgan was able to act upon her feelings, Gil was the one to speak first and the primordial woman felt some relief when instead of coming up with something impulsive, the half-elven sorcerer agreed with her earlier idea of making camp instead of approaching for now. It appeared that the pack wouldn't be too hard to convince of Morgan's position if Gil had already realized the truly cautionary approach, but looking at Tolan the water genasi felt that to give him true understanding, more words had to be given. As the speaker of her tribe, Morgan had both been a healer and caretaker as well. And to those who had listened she had also been a teacher. "Tolan... we can't... let you do that..." In no way did Morgan wish to be patronizing, but from her blank face and slightly firmer voice than usual it was only clear that she meant what she said. "Any attacker... that is drawn... by light... might already await you... now..." Morgan's gaze went to the glowing nacre of her shield which scintillated beautifully in many colors when looked at from the right angle. Then she looked back at Tolan. "Any sentience in the wreck... may be... a better predator than halflings at night... Less light... will not serve you as any sort of cover... Not more than daylight would..." Morgan slowly shook her head, needing the small pretender to understand he was wrong. "This wreck... is dangerous..." There was a small pause. "But we... don't know how... or why..." The cleric turned around and looked upon the big silhouette of the wreck in the night. It was curious and interesting, but a part of Morgan naturally feared it. "It looks... abandoned... The dead look... undisturbed... But it hisses..." The genasi looked back at Tolan and she wished her eyes could convey the gravity of her feelings. "Don't swim where the water throws bubbles... Air can kill. And this... these hisses are signs of doom... The danger without sentience... scares me more than the one that might find our camp in the night... No traces lead off the beach... If death awaits you inside the wreck, Tolan... distance from this danger might be enough to keep you safe... Or safer with me..." Finally Morgan looked at everyone else. She had admitted her fear, but there were higher powers that equaled the gods. For once Morgan wasn't ashamed to show weakness. "I wish to make camp. Inspect our... resources... and plan to stay safe... As one pack."
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Aug 13th, 2022 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 07:46 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5490
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,850
Storm
Storm " My last group stayed together. Everyone lived even after several fiercebattles. Separate and die alone I think." said the dragonborn.


"Seems like we should camp here to night. I'll take first watch." Storm offered.




 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Wildblade ( pf1e?)

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 25th, 2022 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 08:44 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 21821
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,080
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil took one more look at the bubbling, hissing wreck. "Won't argue with that, Morgan. Lot easier ta scope it it out when we can see a ways." He hadn't been planning on swimming in any case, not with the shark folk around. They were bad enough above water.

The group moved a bit into the trees, Gil looking for dry wood and safe place to make camp as they went. "Sounds fair, Storm. offer Help on SurvivalLet's get set up an' ya can wake me up for second shift."




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 07:21 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,567

While their compatriots loaf about, Morgan, Gil, and Bern collect firewood. After 45 minutes they have gathered enough to maintain About 12 cubic feet of burning materiala big fire through the night.

OOCOf course, it could be used for a larger fire that wouldn't last as long.

 

 

Last edited by secretID; Aug 25th, 2022 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 06:42 PM
BlackDragon0's Avatar
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 is offline
BlackDragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5490
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Posts: 4,850
Storm
Storm contrary to popular belief was not loafing about not being a expert woods man he deferred to Gil's knowledge. And then prayed for Zeus to watch over their camp. Then pulled his sword and began practicing. So as to be fluid and sharp come watch. Rather than stiff and slow. He also paid attention to all he saw, so as to learn what he could.




 


ooc 2nd lv. tempest cleric. Dragonborn.(bronze)


 


__________________
"Dragons who fly alone, Die alone!" Games: Wildblade ( pf1e?)

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 29th, 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 21821
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,080
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil kept glancing back in the direction of the wreck while he poked around for firewood. Nothing about it made sense to him, and that left him even more uncomfortable than seeing the bodies lying around it. How in hells do you con out something that no one has ever seen before? Ain't even like anything in the world. He found a deadfall and snapped the dryest branches off of it, letting his mind wander. Maybe it is though. People are about the same everywhere, and a ship's kind of a ship even if it flies. And a wreck's a wreck...

He toted an armload of branches back to the clearing and added it to the growing stack of fuel. "So's check me if I'm wrong. Yeah, that thing's dangerous, but maybe not hostile, right? Nothin' came screamin' out at us anyhow. An' if'n we never seen the like anywhere, anybody alive in it prob'ly never seen the likes of us or this place either. If it was me wrecked somewhere strange with no way back, all beat up from a crash, I'd be scared stiff at first an' stick 'round the wreck hopin' my people'd come find me 'fore I ran outta food. Be twice as scared if strangers came pokin' 'round at night. So maybe just keepin' off a little an' makin' no secret o' where we're at gives 'em some time to calm down, maybe they even come out on their own an' don't think 'bout shootin' first so much. So fer now, we jus' keep the fire goin' an' keep a pair o' eyes open. Anyone shows, we treat 'em like friends unless they prove otherwise. No one shows by sunrise, then we guess no one's there an' we try gettin' in. Sound fair?"




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 06:24 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 18329
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 11,006
Morgan
right-aligned image

Just as Morgan had hoped the pack wasn't too difficult to convince and at least Storm and Gil readily accepted the notion that they would be more prudent to engage the wreck in the morning light and without risking Tolan after he was overcome with nerves and proposing to take risks that needn't be taken. The bronze dragonborn offered to take the first watch and in the absence of opposed opinions, the water genasi understood that it was now time to make camp like she had suggested before. "We should gather wood... to make... a fire..." As a creature of the sea, Morgan didn't necessarily desire the unnatural warmth that the burning of the Oakfather's children provided. Similar to the primordial kin of Morgan's tribe, in the past she had greatly enjoyed warmer waters and the thermal areas that it was mischievous to visit. But as she had grown up into a woman and the speaker of her tribe, Morgan's blood had gradually cooled and the cold of the deep had taken root in Umberlee's own. It had come when the gifts of the Wavemother's divine magic had prospered inside of Morgan, and since then she had felt about warmth differently. For her pack, she knew this was different though. And aside from providing them comfort, Morgan also saw a manner of safety in a great fire's light. Bern had cautioned against taking residence in this area, and in uncertainty, the primordial cleric preferred that her pack would be able to see if anything should decide to approach their rest. For this they needed light, but Morgan would have to sleep herself and couldn't cast her illumination magic indefinitely. So thus a fire was needed, and while Storm didn't show any intentions to take a share in the work of gathering wood, Gil had learned these things as part of his own tribe and together the genasi and half-elf began gathering appropriate wood that would sustain their safety throughout the entire night.

Wishing to keep the wreck in their sights at night and hoping that the open area of the beach would allow them to witness enemies before they could sneak up on the sleeping pack, Morgan and Gil agreed that the campsite would be erected right out in the open. Bern's qualms about the sahuagin in these waters raised the possibility that they would spot the fire at night and decide on a nightly ambush, yet despite the harm that a surprise attack would bring, Morgan almost looked forward to the sharkfolk daring to encroach and challenge them again. The sahuagin were threatening foes that mustn't be underestimated, but Morgan had seen what her pack could do. And although the other three adventurers had apparent difficulties communicating with each other, at times similar to Morgan's very own nature, the cleric believed that her new pack had the mettle to dare sleep out in the open. The primordial woman appreciated the silence as she and Gil gathered wood together with Bern. Once they returned it appeared that Storm had blessed the spot in which they erected the first of their campfire, and Morgan began to prepare their fiery light source just like she had learned from Shield and Valorian during their time when they had been stranded near Xyco. Storm would be the first watch, Gil would be second. Morgan raised her voice to softly explain. "This fire... only has to burn... for about six hours... I will take... the last watch. During that time... I will... illuminate my shield... In the twilight, I believe this will be enough... for me..."

Now that the entire pack had gathered, before they would leave Storm as the first guard while the others slept Morgan had wanted to confer a bit about the resources at their hands. However, as it came, Gil preceded her by voicing thoughts that must have come to him when he had been thinking by himself. He said a few more things than he was usually wont to say at once, and Morgan listened respectfully as she valued her packmate's input. There was slightly too much fire in the half-elven sorcerer, yet he really meant to look out for those around him. Even when a few of the things he did or said were shortsighted. Tonight though he was one step ahead of Morgan and she thoughtfully considered the possibility that the wreck had landed here but some of its passengers had survived the impact. That would be surprising... But isn't all of the wreck surprising...? Gil is right. At least partially... Morgan was worried that her repeated contradictions would eventually cost her the ears of her packmates, but she also knew that this fear was a weak part of herself that she should not pay attention to too much. She wanted to trust Gil and the others to hear her out instead, as they had before. "There were no traces... which would have suggested anybody left this beach... You may speak true though... Not all we could meet must be an enemy..." Morgan's long hair waved up and down as the blue of her skin looked purple in the light of the campfire. "I am... more worried of thoughtless dangers... still..." She looked at any of the other adventurers. "If the wreck is... safe to approach... What tools and magic do we have at our disposal...? The healing fruits of Silvanus... I left mine with the humans... If possible... I would wish any of us could look out for any other... and heal them if something harmful occurs..." After the party had collected their healing resources and decided how best to distribute them, Morgan looked over at Gil once more. "Your magic... hat... It allows you to breathe underwater... It might be... very valuable if the hissing means... noxious air... Who do you think... should wear it...? As a healer... I trust myself to determine how the corpses at the beach died... if I can go near them safely..."
 
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Aug 27th, 2022 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 10:39 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,567
Fish Surprise
left-aligned image

The adventurers arrange their firewood into piles for the initial fire and the fuel to maintain it. Gil, the best equipped of the group, needs none of his gear; he ignites the kindling with a simple Fire Bolt. The explorers prepare their bedrolls. Four of them do, anyway; Tolan has packed as if he has never spent a night outside of an inn, and expects never to do so. The little rogue can only curl up pitifully, close to the fire.

A few hours into the night, Storm has roused Gil to take watch, and the half-elf stands alone, scanning the tree line, then the wreck, then the waves. The tide has come in, but the adventurers have wisely placed their fire far enough inland to protect it.

Without warning, two harpoons burst from the nearby waves, one nearly missing Gil and the other flopping into the sand beside the sleeping Storm. Gil shouts an alarm as he turns to face two giant fish men, much larger than any sahuagin Gil has seen, reeling their weapons back in by attached ropes. But before he can actually act, they are gone, underwater.

OOCGil is up first, then anyone else who beats or ties a 14 initiative. Everyone but Gil starts prone.

Map in spoiler. We have water, beach, brush, and the wreck (gray). Without getting too complicated, I just called the fire 4’ by 4’, at R7. PCs and enemies are identified by initial, though no one can currently see the fish men. They were most recently seen in the water, right up against the beach, roughly in line with Gil and Storm.

The fire projects dim light several yards out, but unfortunately not under the water.

15 CON for Tolan to avoid Exhaustion level 1 from a poor sleeping situation, though the condition won’t kick in until the morning (after this encounter).

 

 

 

Last edited by secretID; Aug 27th, 2022 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Cheshire's Avatar
Cheshire Cheshire is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 3559
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Posts: 2,108
left-aligned image
Tolan took Morgan's words into consideration, maybe it was the over confidence of his success the first time we sneaked into an enemy camp unnoticed. He knew that she was right, the inability to see in the dark would make going in to what they all believed was a trap, a suicide.

Sitting down next to the fire, Tolan did his best to keep warm. As the temperature dropped, he huddled in as close as he could to the flame, but it offered little relief. The halfling tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable but he was ill prepared for sleeping anywhere but a nice warm bed. A luxury he had grow to used to.

One of the times he rolled over he heard a thud behind him in the sand. Thinking it was Storm of maybe Gil getting more firewood, Tolan pulled his coat that was being used as a blanket closer to his face. "Can you keep it down please, I am trying to get some sleep."

 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Playing- Amari the Elven Bard, Jarik the Human Rogue, Harmony the Tiefling Warlock

Last edited by Cheshire; Aug 27th, 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 21821
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,080
Setting Up Camp
left-aligned image
"There were no traces... which would have suggested anybody left this beach..." Gil glanced back toward the wreck, unable to make out much in the sand. "Could be any tracks washed away in the rain. The dead folk oughta left tracks too, didn't see any though."

"I still got a potion. Hooks an' rope, a snap trap, ummmm, some caltrops. Think the hat only works under water though, least that's what the shopkeeper said." Gil thought about it and shrugged. It had worked in a bucket of water, but he'd never really used it except for that one time. You couldn't see out of a bucket though, and all the water would run out if you stood up. Anyway, he didn't have a bucket.


It's Those GuysGil got in two hours of sleep before Storm woke him. He took position near the fire, feeding it enough wood to keep it bright. Only the steady lapping of the waves kept him from imagining he was back home, that and the occasional hiss from the wreck. He scanned in every direction by reflex, paying more attention to sounds than sights, his eyes constantly wandering back to the beached thing. If anything was looking back from it, he couldn't tell.

He'd turned to the woods when something hit the sand next him. Tolan mumbled in his sleep,Gil spun around just in time to see two sahuagin dive, their harpoons snaking back toward the water pulled by taught ropes. "UP AN' READY! Fishmen with spears off the beach, get to the woods an' hit 'em when they break cover!" He was already moving, ditching the lantern just into the brush and rolling past it to level his staff at the water. So much for not scaring anyone on the wreck.




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 09:40 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,567
Fish Surprise
left-aligned image

As Gil flees for safety, his abandoned comrades, still groggily lifting their heads, see the two giant humanoids emerge partially out of the water, javelins readied...for something.

OOCAll good guys are up! There are only two enemy; they're large and adjacent. They have +2 cover from the water.

 

 

 

Last edited by secretID; Aug 27th, 2022 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 04:05 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 21821
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,080
Gillerithan Taverner - Sorcerer 3
left-aligned image
Gil watched as the fishmen reared up out of the water. Damn, they're big. And they...didn't do anything, which seemed a little off by what little Gil had gathered about sahuagin. Beats getting speared though.

Gil stood from the brush, his staff held ready as obviously ready as the sahuagin harpoons, but not quite pointed the fishmen's way. "Alright. Whaddaya want?"




 


 
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB