RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5572
Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu
The spirit of Muad'Dib is more than words, more than the letter of the Law which arises in his name. Muad'Dib must always be that inner outrage against the complacently powerful, against the charlatans and the dogmatic fanatics. It is that inner outrage which must have its say because Muad'Dib taught us one thing above all others: that humans can endure only in a fraternity of social justice.

~ The Fedaykin Compact
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu Kurokuwashu
Limits of survival are set by climate, those long drifts of change which a generation may fail to notice. And it is the extremes of climate which set the pattern. Lonely, finite humans may observe climatic provinces, fluctuations of annual weather and, occasionally may observe such things as "This is a colder year than I've ever known. " Such things are sensible. But humans are seldom alerted to the shifting average through a great span of years. And it is precisely in this alerting that humans learn how to survive on any planet. They must learn climate.

~ Arrakis, the Transformation, After Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Thou didst divide the sand by thy strength; Thou breakest the heads of the dragons in the desert. Yea, I behold thee as a beast coming up from the dunes; thou hast the two horns of the lamb, but thou speakest as the dragon.

~ Revised Orange Catholic Bible Arran 11:4
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Fremen were the first humans to develop a conscious/unconscious symbology through which to experience the movements and relationships of their planetary system. They were the first people anywhere to express climate in terms of a semi-mathematic language whose written symbols embody (and internalize) the external relationships. The language itself was part of the system it described. Its written form carried the shape of what it described. The intimate local knowledge of what was available to support life was implicit in this development. One can measure the extent of this language/system interaction by the fact that Fremen accepted themselves as foraging and browsing animals.

~ The Story of Liet-Kynes by Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
After the Fremen, all Planetologists see life as expressions of energy and look for the overriding relationships. In small pieces, bits and parcels which grow into general understanding, the Fremen racial wisdom is translated into a new certainty. The thing Fremen have as a people, any people can have. They need but develop a sense for energy relationships. They need but observe that energy soaks up the patterns of things and builds with those patterns.

~ The Arrakeen Catastrophe, After Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Any path which narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans are not threading their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities. The narrowing viewpoint of the maze should appeal only to creatures with their noses buried in sand. Sexually produced uniqueness and differences are the life-protection of the spices.

~ The Spacing Guild Handbook
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
By these acts Leto II removed himself from the evolutionary succession. He did it with a deliberate cutting action, saying: "To be independent is to be removed." Both twins saw beyond the needs of memory as a measuring process, that is, a way of determining their distance from their human origins. But it was left to Leto II to do the audacious thing, recognizing that a real creation is independent of its creator. He refused to reenact the evolutionary sequence, saying, "That, too, takes me farther and farther from humanity." He saw the implications in this: that there can be no truly closed systems in life.

~ The Holy Metamorphosis, by Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Muad'Dib was disinherited and he spoke for the disinherited of all time. He cried out against that profound injustice which alienates the individual from that which he was taught to believe, from that which seemed to come to him as a right.

~ The Mahdinate, An Analysis by Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Church and State, scientific reason and faith, the individual and his community, even progress and tradition -- all of these can be reconciled in the teachings of Muad'Dib. He taught us that there exist no intransigent opposites except in the beliefs of men. Anyone can rip aside the veil of Time. You can discover the future in the past or in your own imagination. Doing this, you win back your consciousness in your inner being. You know then that the universe is a coherent whole and you are indivisible from it.

~ The Preacher at Arrakeen, After Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
Muad'Dib gave us a particular kind of knowledge about prophetic insight, about the behavior which surrounds such insight and its influence upon events which are seen to be "on line." (That is, events which are set to occur in a related system which the prophet reveals and interprets.) As has been noted elsewhere, such insight operates as a peculiar trap for the prophet himself. He can become the victim of what he knows -- which is a relatively common human failing. The danger is that those who predict real events may overtook the polarizing effect brought about by overindulgence in their own truth. They tend to forget that nothing in a polarized universe can exist without its opposite being present.

~ The Prescient Vision, by Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
The child who refuses to travel in the father's harness, this is the symbol of man's most unique capability. "I do not have to be what my father was. I do not have to obey my father's rules or even believe everything he believed. It is my strength as a human that I can make my own choices of what to believe and what not to believe, of what to be and what not to be."

~ Leto Atreides II, The Harq al-Ada Biography
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
The assumption that a whole system can be made to work better through an assault on its conscious elements betrays a dangerous ignorance. This has often been the ignorant approach of those who call themselves scientists and technologists.

~ The Butlerian Jihad, by Harq al-Ada
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Brotherhood of Annubis

Tools
User Statistics
As with so many other religions, Muad'Dib's Golden Elixir of Life degenerated into external wizardry. Its mystical signs became mere symbols for deeper psychological processes, and those processes, of course, ran wild. What they needed was a living god, and they didn't have one, a situation which Muad'Dib's son has corrected.

~ Saying attributed to Lu Tung-pin, (Lu, The Guest of the Cavern)