twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2021, 01:57 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35991
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
April POTM

left-aligned image
April in the Netherlands

Wow, time really flies and before you know it's April. Meaning, a new Month to nominate posts that lightened your day. Please share it with us, copy, paste and link the post in this thread and explain why this particular post made you think, laugh or wonder. Maybe it was well written, maybe it was in-character in a way that you felt you really were given an insight in the character. Whatever YOU thought that stood out, let us know and provide a stage for the RPG member who made the post.

Let's share the fun :-)
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 01:30 PM
a pair of ragged claws

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23196
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Nominee: Vislands
Game: In the Coils of Veles
System: D&D 5e
GM: 4eyedBadger
The Post: Never go up against a Gnoll pit fighter when death is on the line!

BackgroundThis is a 5e incarnation of Kobold Press' Midgard setting run by 4eyedBadger. In it, Gnoll is a racial option. Vislands has created from the bones of a groveling and obsequious slave race, a truly grand, vicious, and self-serving ex-pit fighter named Batoyangi (Bato).
Reason for NominatingAs combat posts go, this one hits every mark for me. It's a great length, gives some detail about the character without derailing the urgency of it, and puts you right there in the gory action. Vis captures barbarian rage just perfectly in this slightly monstrous race. Really superb pacing, wording, and visuals. A++ work, Vislands.
text version

Last edited by UngainlyFool; Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Ret.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20643
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Nominee: Hoard of the Dragon Queen, 5e
GM: Saratek, chocoladevla
The Post: Joining the Circle/The Morning After the Raid
Background and ReasoningThis takes place after the events of Episode 1 of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen Adventure. The Party had recently achieved Level 2, with one of their own being ressurrected after sacrificing his life to save Greenest, and PlaidPeregine's description of her character's initiation into the Circle of the Moon struck me as something you don't often see, and she took it upon herself to add it to what would normally be a rather usual, albeit, exceptional post to start the new Episode. It serves as a powerful and thoughtful approach to something that some don't really think much of when playing through the development of their character during gameplay. I felt it was deserving of recognition both for the depth in which she went into the story of Summer's growth, as well as the artistry of the scenes that unfold within it.

Due to the nature of how it was added, and the fact that it is contained in a Private Forum/Thread only accessible by the DMs and Players (Reds as well, obviously), I have both posted it below, as well as flipped the two sections so that's it's readable in the order of events.

Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 02:45 PM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39006
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Nominee: bothers
Game: Shadowrun 2050
System: Shadowrun 5e
GM: bothers
The Post: > Click <

background & reasoningI adore silly posts. When one of my good friends, who is playing in the game, shared this I wanted to make sure the GM got a proper nod at the very least.

A dwarf named Hotwire decided to investigate some vents. Hotwire is incredibly allergic to cats. You likely can see where this is going. Bothers holds our hand along the quick journey into just how bad this furry discovery was. I had a good chuckle reading it and hope you will too. Your nose will likely itch just reading it!

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31521
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
BananaBadger Nomination

Nominee: BananaBadger
Game: Phandelver (Group B)
GM: Chocoladevla
The Post: Click Here

Background & Reasoning
BananaBadger can be a playful soul, adding to the games' atmosphere by crafting lighthearted posts that reflect the character's state of mind and life prior to adventuring for a wonderful group of players Choco brought together. This post in particular is a love story for all times, for all peoples and goat herders everywhere.

Last edited by PlaidPeregrine; Apr 25th, 2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 11:11 PM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19874
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Nominee: jbear
Game: The Wandering and the Lost
GM: Insacrum
The Post: here

Background & ReasoningThe Wandering and the Lost stars a motley crew of 'monstrous' characters who are striving to make a home far away from the dangers and the cruelty of the Pink Men races. They have settled underneath the leadership of Yddraixl, an Orc Chieftess whose carved a home out of a ruined fortress for anyone willing to pull their weight and build a thriving community of like-minded souls. Currently, the crew is tasked with trying to find their way to their de facto leader after a bunch of nasty Pink Men attacked their home, the intruders seeking a treasure hidden deep within the fortress. Fearing the safety for their leader, the crew took a shortcut down through some caverns that exist beneath the crumbling fortress, only to come across an awful nest of Stirges that have a hankerin' for some blood.

The post I nominate for POTM is jbear's absolutely magnificent scene of spearing a Stirge while rockin' like a lusciously maned rockstar. The post captures everything I love about the character An'mal. From the way he fumbles with remembering the magic word that'll help grant him extra strength to the way he stomps out a Stirge while looking like a Bugbear's equivalent of a Greek god, hair flowing majestically in the wind and all. Its humorous. Its witty. And it's a post I can't help but think about after nearly a month of its post date. The fact that it still makes me smile and laugh no matter how many times I read it makes it--at least in my books-- a post worthy of a nomination, and whether or not jbear gets the win, I just need everybody to know the glory of An'mal.

May his locks flow gracefully in the wind forever!

Last edited by Strangemund; Apr 29th, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 09:14 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: Retry
Game: Out of the Abyss
Nominator: Frassasass
Raison: The PCs offered to take up NPCs and former PCs of the game and Retry valiantly took a former player's PC. Here we see him playing his original PC, Emdal, and Aurgus, the absurdly optimistic Gnome evangelist, debating if they can afford to take on Elven refugees in the Underdark into their group. Aurgus is all for it; Emdal, the survivalist, is not. A veritable Jekyll and Hyde situation is going on in his writing and it comes across amazingly without being overly long. Check it out, or don't.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 05:12 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44210
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Nominee: Bothers
Game: Battle of the Bards Oneshot
GM: Fillyjonk
The Post: Durza and the Orc Ancestors

Background All the players are level 7 Bards or Multiclassers with at least 3 levels of Bard. They are all in a band, with a shot at winning the kingdom-wide Battle of the Bards, but they have been drugged, kidnapped, stripped of their possessions, and locked in a room under the sewers. The band's job is to find out who betrayed them, escape the trap-and-monster filled labyrinth, and make it to the competition as whole, functioning band. The tone is irreverent and bawdy but also extremely connective and loyal---as befits bards who are longtime bandmates.

In this post, Durza has recently gotten a magic item that lets her summon swarms of undead rats, and the band is fighting Souped Up Nightmare Bugbears (including a totem-dropping shaman), just by the ladder to the hatch that will let them out of the sewer.

Reason for NominatingBothers requires just a few paragraphs to perfectly capture the entire essence of a D&D class; best of all she did it by using that class’ strong point—storytelling. In short, Bothers barded the ever lovin' shiz out of this post. Also, Bothers re-imagines orcs as Mancunians, and her spot-on Manchester dialect that enlivened the entire game is nicely displayed here.

Closed Thread