Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Scouren of Sindomar
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:50 AM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Chapter 5: The Drōmon War

Continued from the end of Chapter 4.

Hesperis crunches across the crusty sand of the ancient trade road toward the green Hawkling Wood some ten miles distant. A line of mountains capped with white snow rises above them. The elf sees nothing but the Book of Esmarel lying open on his upturned palms. A gust of wind blows the page over. He pushes it back.

Inside the book Hesperis has found a treasure trove of Scouren knowledge and magic. Written in a tiny script of black ink, the small tome is written in Common and contains hundreds of thin pages, though some parts appear to be written in a cypher of some kind. It is partly a journal, partly a spell book, and partly a manual for self improvement. It will take weeks to read and understand everything, but the important aspects-- the spells in particular-- may take just a few days of study. [Will need Detect Magic and Read Magic spells to get the most out of it.]

Rhea has no book to poor over, but is no less reflective. She walks, shield slung at her side, weapon in hand, and the gate to the 'Murk becomes a dark square in the bright distance of the blue and yellow desert behind them. Her thoughts turn to the Throan of Oaks, the Hawkling Elves, their new allies the Slydesufol in the River Rend, and their losing war with the Dromon raiders and their new ships and new wizards.

Someday soon the little island world of Randorin will appear somewhere in the middle of the war and strike down like a gigantic hammer. One world will end. Sindomar will be added to but harmed in the process.

The book in Hesperis' hands would tell them when and where it would happen. If Holgurdur was right. If Esmarel, the missing Scouren, had mastered the magic for divining such things. If the Dawdlemares hadn't gotten hold of it first. If they hadn't just risked their necks for nothing. Rhea suppressed a sigh. There was an awful lot at stake here.

"It's a hell," said Orthag in the silence of her thoughts. "They tooks my city and mades it a hell. Mades my peoples into monsters."

For a long while the bitter truth of it hung in the air. There was only the sound of the wind, the crinkle of turning pages, and the crunch of feet in the sand.

"I will takes it back from them," said Orthag firmly. "Esmarel's book is the answers. Holgurdur said so. It can calls Paintings. It can calls merges. Now we can destroys the Skellon's places like Holgurdur's house was destroyed! Or like all of Pyndanr was ended!"

Rhea felt the Orthag ring spinning madly on her finger.

"Promise me," said Orthag, "my friends. My brother and sister. My allies! Promise me we will comes back here. We will use the Paintings and Merges to kills the Skellon. To takes back my city! As soon as our business with the Hawklings is done! Promises me! When it is done, you will be the new Lords of Dredethond. What say you?"
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 400
schmev schmev schmev schmev schmev
As Orthag's words grow more and more intense, Rhea grows concerned. She understands his inner turmoil - at least the effect the state of his city must have on him. And, she shares his vigorous desire to rid the ruins of the evil that lurks within. But, she worries for her friend. In truth, she has no idea what his existence is like. He can see, he can speak, but he's disembodied; his spirit trapped within a golden ring 'round her finger. Can he feel? Does he fear? Is his prison of precious metal a curse? A previously free creature, suddenly limited to the confines of a thin ring without legs to move or arms to swing. Could Orthag be -

No. She won't think it. She will pray for him though. Perhaps Mayaheine can lend some guidance. But, meanwhile, his desperate plea must be answered. "Yes, my friend," she says flatly. "I give my word that we will return to purge the city of its evil." She cannot say more. The immediate future is uncertain and they have foes aplenty to be dealt with. She doesn't wish to insult her friend, and hopes her hesitancy isn't taken to worry the sorcerer. She adds a comment for diversion, true as it is.

"I care not for titles, though, Orthag. You need not trade your kingdom for my assistance. I give it freely."
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Cue: Hesperis