RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 10:33 PM
Ontologically Delicious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
On the cat thing...

I think part of it is the social/archetypal character of dogs and cats. And of course bear in mind that I'm generalizing wildly about two different species, each of which has a large variety of breed tendencies and individual variations. No two cats are alike; no two dogs are alike; there are doglike cats and catlike dogs. I know that.

So:
If you find a starving dog, and take it in, give it food and shelter and warmth and nurse it back to health, it will gaze at you and think, "wow... you must be a god."
If you find a starving cat, and take it in, give it food and shelter and warmth and nurse it back to health, it will gaze at you and think, "wow... I must be a god."

And this, I believe, is what some people hate about cats: their independence. Sure, our cats probably love us; I'm absolutely sure that at least half of my twelve cats actually sincerely love me, and the rest at least find me better company than the average stranger and a convenient source of food. That said, not a single one of my cats will run to the door and greet me when I come home; at most two of the twelve will have even noticed particularly that I was gone.
People who love dogs, IMO, love a dog's loyalty above everything else. And sure, a cat may be loyal, but on the whole they are in it for themselves and view their owners as a means to an end. Most cats would never freely admit that they actually need their humans; most dogs, by contrast, would be hesitant to admit that they don't.

I have nothing against dog people, but I have something against dog people who actively hate cats - because it tells me something about what they need from relationships, and at its core, it's something toxic.
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 09:40 AM
Make me unknowing

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4667
Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmousie View Post
I think part of it is the social/archetypal character of dogs and cats...

People who love dogs, IMO, love a dog's loyalty above everything else. And sure, a cat may be loyal, but on the whole they are in it for themselves and view their owners as a means to an end. Most cats would never freely admit that they actually need their humans; most dogs, by contrast, would be hesitant to admit that they don't...

I have nothing against dog people, but I have something against dog people who actively hate cats - because it tells me something about what they need from relationships, and at its core, it's something toxic.
This, in a well-crafted nutshell, is my take. What I get from every cat-hater is that they hate their perception of cats' self-superiority and independence. That they feel so strongly about an animal with such apparent dispositions does seem to indicate something significant about their psychology. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call all cat-hating dog lovers "toxic," though. Some of the best husbands and fathers I've known are of this stripe. This brings up two follow-on thoughts:

1 – I don't believe I've ever heard a woman express such strong anti-cat sentiments, and

2 – It does seem intuitive to imply that someone's hatred for cats would extend to people who behave similarly to them, displaying aloofness, superiority, and independence alongside some measure of affection in their relationships. (Basically acting like an introvert). Yet my experience is that it does not. Fortunately, (most) humans have more to them than most animals and are not so easily defined by one aspect of their personality. People who display the same feline traits so oft-despised by dog lovers may even be the most likely to also have dog-like tendencies in their relationships, such as loyalty and devotion, if that feline disposition could indeed be called introvert-like and MBTI's can be trusted. I'm sure that if people were as narrowly defined in their personalities as animals, we'd all be the worst of us. With some justification.

Perhaps that's it. We're all varyingly averse to various ideas, and cats and dogs' attitudes are, as Auntie pointed out, narrowly defined as opposites in human relational cognition. While cat people find no offense in the loyalty and dependence of dogs, (though, speaking for myself, the latter certainly ranks among my top three reasons for not owning one), the opposite thereof in cats is an affront to the very things dog lovers value so highly about their chosen companions. There being no other perceived qualities to round out and redeem cats' personalities, the affront is all that defines them. Therefore, cat hater feels justified in their hatred.
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Ontologically Delicious

Tools
User Statistics
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxder View Post
Perhaps that's it. We're all varyingly averse to various ideas, and cats and dogs' attitudes are, as Auntie pointed out, narrowly defined as opposites in human relational cognition. While cat people find no offense in the loyalty and dependence of dogs, (though, speaking for myself, the latter certainly ranks among my top three reasons for not owning one), the opposite thereof in cats is an affront to the very things dog lovers value so highly about their chosen companions. There being no other perceived qualities to round out and redeem cats' personalities, the affront is all that defines them. Therefore, cat hater feels justified in their hatred.
A fitting coda! I quite agree.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
So, sometimes, H8ers gotta H8?
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1405
Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian
In Holland we have a saying: one fool can ask more questions than ten sages can answer. Seems oddly appropriate in this thread.
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 01:23 AM
A Potato

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 596
thelogicalghost thelogicalghost thelogicalghost thelogicalghost thelogicalghost thelogicalghost
Oooh I love this whole thread. It reminds me of a Jewish story written in the Talmud:

Two Rabbis, we'll call them Evi and Yona, are having an argument. By chance, they meet the Prophet Elijah. "Elijah!" they exclaim. "What have you heard from G-d?"

Elijah tells them about the theological issue that G-d is currently engrossed in, and the Rabbis are astonished, because it's the exact same issue they've just been arguing. "Well, what did G-d say about it?"

And Elijah goes, "Well, he was saying, Evi said it was like this, and Yona said it was like that. And they're both right."
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 03:18 AM
Ontologically Delicious

Tools
User Statistics
I like this thread because its underlying sentiment echoes - for me at least - a passage out of Name of the Wind:

Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss - Chapter 84
It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers. . . . That way, when he finds the answers, they'll be precious to him. The harder the question, the harder we hunt. The harder we hunt, the more we learn.
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 06:26 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1405
Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogicalghost View Post
Oooh I love this whole thread. It reminds me of a Jewish story written in the Talmud:

Two Rabbis, we'll call them Evi and Yona, are having an argument. By chance, they meet the Prophet Elijah. "Elijah!" they exclaim. "What have you heard from G-d?"

Elijah tells them about the theological issue that G-d is currently engrossed in, and the Rabbis are astonished, because it's the exact same issue they've just been arguing. "Well, what did G-d say about it?"

And Elijah goes, "Well, he was saying, Evi said it was like this, and Yona said it was like that. And they're both right."

A priest, a pastor and a rabbit walked in to a blood donation clinic.
The nursed asked the rabbit: "What is your blood type?"
"I am probably a type O" said the rabbit.

Old May 5th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Is it nap time yet?
Hall of Fame DM 2012

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5685
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Are oranges named oranges because oranges are orange, or is Orange called orange because oranges are orange?
Old May 5th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Truculent Troubadour

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32540
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Orange you glad that no one really knows?

Become a Community Supporter.
Old May 8th, 2021, 07:17 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Monsters View Post
Are oranges named oranges because oranges are orange, or is Orange called orange because oranges are orange?
the latter.
Old May 8th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Is it nap time yet?
Hall of Fame DM 2012

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5685
Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters Master of Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
the latter.
Is that a guess, or do you know it to be true? Just curious.
Old May 10th, 2021, 03:02 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7616
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Quote:
The word 'orange' is supposedly derived from an Arabic or Persian word for the fruit, naranj (no promises on the spelling). The Arabic and Persian language families have completely different words for the color orange. English had a completely different word for the fruit before "a naranj" became "an aranj," which somehow got us to "an orange."

If the above is accurate than the fruit orange had to precede the color orange, right?

Indefinite Article 'a' vs 'an'The use of the Indefinite Article 'an' supposedly comes from the British need to be difficult when words from other languages are acquired. (I kid. I like the brits. God save the BBC!) There was no such thing as the article "an" until it was invented because someone somewhere with access to a printing press decided the letter n needed to be stripped off of certain 'foreign' words, and it became a rule related to words that started with vowel sounds.
Old May 10th, 2021, 03:27 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29047
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire64 View Post
The word 'orange' is supposedly derived from an Arabic or Persian word for the fruit, naranj (no promises on the spelling).
It's actually a bit older than that, going back to Dravidian:

EtymologyThe word orange derives from the Sanskrit word for "orange tree" (नारङ्ग nāraṅga), which in turn derives from a Dravidian root word (compare நரந்தம்/നാരങ്ങ narandam/naranja which refers to Bitter orange in Tamil and Malayalam). The Sanskrit word reached European languages through Persian نارنگ (nārang) and its Arabic derivative نارنج (nāranj).

Last edited by The Rat Queen; May 10th, 2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 10th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Is that a guess, or do you know it to be true? Just curious.
I was around then. Sat on the committee that made the decision.