twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12922
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
FATE style high concept game

Ok, I have been trying to find some Mojo for creating a kick ass FATE character, and thought why not stir the pot for some inspiration with this little excersise?

Here's how it works-
  • I'll give a simple concept like cop, or cowboy
  • You will work your creative magic and transform them into epic high concepts, like Corrupt Police Captain on the Don's Payroll, or The Blood-Stained Desperado of El Paso
  • I'll pick my favourite after 2 or more entires, and the winner can set the next concept.

(Ps anyone who has actualy played FATE please feel free to step in and improve this, and if you have any advice on creating amazing concepts and aspects I'd also love to hear it!! ^^

Concept-
Little Old Lady
Share your art!

Last edited by Wishkamon; Dec 19th, 2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 09:33 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Hey Wish. Little old lady's a tough one as it needs a little more direction to know how to flesh out the aspect. High concepts work great when there's a role or purpose incorporated in the phrasing, which this one doesn't really have yet. Like,if it's fantasy, maybe she's a seer or elder of her culture? So something like Wizened seer of the northern tribes or Exiled grandmother to a foreign tyrant. Or one I'd probably play, Wandering fortune-telling charlatan.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Dec 21st, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 10:31 PM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20911
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
I'm playing my first-ever FATE game here and the DM @kdtompos has been a wonderful teacher. As I understand it, Aspects should tell others WHO a character is rather than WHAT they do, so I agree with @Hotsusama about roles/purposes.

So for Little Old Lady, maybe Cookie-Baking Granny by Day, Stone-Cold Spymaster by Night? The concept should have also have a reasonable ease in being either Invoked or Compelled, so that should help you round it out.

I don't know, I had to rack my brain about my character too.

Last edited by ElderOblex; Dec 20th, 2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 08:51 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19052
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
I don't know if this is helpful for what you are going for in this thread, but I did try to walk through a thought process on creating a Fate character for the NPSG. You can find how I would tend to go about making a Fate character here.

My biggest advice is to not overthink it. Decide some of the broad strokes - do they use magic or not? do they carry a weapon? What race? How do they make a living? (all depending on setting). If you want an exercise to practice, it might be fun to take a character you are playing in a D&D or PF game and turn them into a Fate character! It is a character you already know, so the only difference is how you talk about them (with numbers vs. with words).

Also, remember that the phrasing of Aspects isn't set in stone (or shouldn't be). You may start with a High Concept that is almost a full sentence, but as you play the wording for a more concise High Concept may just naturally come to you. Those really pithy character Aspects are awesome when you can get them, but don't shy away from longer ones when need be
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 05:45 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12922
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Eee, thanks so much for the tips everyone. I love the flexibility of the system, how nothing is set in stone, but its definately daunting trying it for the first time! Haha
Roekahs that link is super helpful! And I'll certainly have a go FATE-iftying some old characters for practice, what a great idea. It might help me with getting into character for upcoming roll20 games too

As for the winner, I think Hotsu's Exciled grandmother to a foreign tyrant piques my interest the most!
Share your art!

Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 07:41 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19052
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Glad it was helpful, Wish! Fate character creation is a pretty steep initial learning curve (IMO). After the initial shock of not making a character the way most of us are familiar (buy numbers to make the character good at stuff), I think it does get easier. It is a lot of paralysis by analysis because there are so many options.

In the spirit of your original intent for this thread, maybe you use D&D (or PF, whatever your poison is) characters - and converting them to Fate - as your game? Hotsu really nailed it, but if you have a character from, say Eberron, then it is instant setting and direction. Then others can throw out other options for High Concept and Trouble. You sort of get the game feel without having to dream up completely random ideas.

Just a thought. Glad you are trying out Fate

Last edited by Roekahs; Dec 22nd, 2020 at 07:43 AM.
Closed Thread