Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 31st, 2021, 09:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15919
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Thanks orcbane, everyone, I certainly enjoyed reading the applications and coming up with Lenny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
This is fun. I can experiment with different concepts and game systems here without worrying about whether I'd have time to actually play another character.
Same thought I had while cracking open the Cypher pdf for a look-see.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:19 AM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Well, it was seeing your application that had me checking out Cypher. Colour me intrigued.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 04:07 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12922
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Congrats! Great character concept! loved the reverse-cyborgs and the tone of the aplication!
Share your art!

Old Feb 1st, 2021, 07:29 AM
Pronouns: he/him/precious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12438
orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane
Game NameMonthly Character Application Contest
February 2021: The Strange Replacement
Game SystemAny SRD-based D&D/Pathfinder edition
ThemeSubversion of archetypal tropes and expectations
FlavourEnigmatic, humorous, awesome, dramatic, paranoid, etc. - Applicant's choice
Plot SummaryA party of typical, predictable characters finds themselves in need of a new member to join their adventures. But they're a bit... unique.

Create a character from the standard character creation options that have historically fueled most 21st Century campaigns, but make your character noticeably non-standard. Your character should subvert the expectations and diverge from the tropes in dramatic ways, all while attempting to be a good fit for a party of otherwise typical adventurers. A small-scale example of this could be a Dwarven Fighter that uses unexpected weapons that are NOT axes and hammers.

But, for your character, think bigger! Use the build as a jumping-off point for how your character's fiction also subverts expectations.
ApplicationCreate a level 6 character using either the D&D 3.5, D&D 5, or Pathfinder 1 SRD rules.
You can format and include a fully-realized character detail block, or you can provide just the basics to get the idea of your character across. See Rule 4. If you're looking to fully stat them out, feel free to use the standard point-buy or array available for that system.

Primarily, your application should showcase the story and personality of your character through prose. Create a compelling story that highlights the ways in which your character isn't just another D&D character, but also immerses them in a world of D&D expectations.

Your application should answer the following questions:

Who is your character?
How does your character perceive themselves?
How to they perceive others in this world?
How do other people perceive your character?
What makes them a good fit for this party of standard characters?

Remember, the challenge is make something new and interesting by using the well-trod and near-boring options.

Bonus Points for:
Thorough, but not a novel (1,200 words or less)
Details about the party they're joining, and how their inclusion came about
Race: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human
Class: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard
Creative build/options

Last edited by orcbane; Feb 1st, 2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 03:51 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
RaceHuman

Class5th level rogue/1st level monk

BackgroundPiet grew up in Waterdeep. No one seems to know who his parents are, or where they live. He grew up an urchin, a street kid. His background led him to be slow to trust, and his prospects forced him into a life where he'd liberate an extra loaf of bread, or an apple from the vendors down in the bazaar. He was preternaturally quick, but basically a good person--just opportunistic because of circumstances(Chaotic Good).

Becoming an adult meant not being as small and agile as he was as a smaller child. He would have to work a bit harder for his bread. At 16, he went on his first quest. At 18, he joined the Thieves' Guild of Waterdeep, and they provide him leads. He's got a reputation for staying current in his dues (and bribes), and a steady producer.
At 21, he was on an job in Waterdeep, and he was almost caught by the guard. Well--just one guard. He killed that guard and fled Waterdeep for somewhere else, anywhere else. He was filled with remorse and grief over his actions, and found himself sitting in a monastery, where he learned to eschew weapons entirely. If pressed, he could defend himself empty handed, but much preferred a pleasant conversation. Maybe an offer of an herb grown on the monastery grounds. It seemed suited to putting people at ease and relaxing them.

Piet offers his services to any party of adventures that would have him. A typical adventurer, he can open locks and disarm traps--useful things to have on a quest. But standing near him, there's a peculiar odor coming from him, something unfamiliar and pungent. He doesn't seem as driven as other adventurers. Pretty relaxed. Often seen smoking a pipe. The two things that really set him apart is that he refuses any work in the environs of Waterdeep, and doesn't seem to be carrying any weapons. But then again, maybe they're just hidden within the folds of his shapeless grey robes.

One of the interesting things is that with the transition from rogue to monk, there's an alignment shift. Piet feels a lot of guilt over the life he took. He spends much of his time in an altered state, trying to put those memories behind him.

Last edited by TADHG; Feb 7th, 2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
The Narrator
right-aligned image

System: D&D 5e

Name: Loknar the Loquacious

Race: Half-orc

Background: Entertainer

Class: Bard, College of Valor

Summary: Self-narrating warrior poet.

Introducing...”The adventurers walked through the door to find an impressive half orc specimen brawling with two of the local townsfolk. All three men paused to look at the newly arrived adventurers, the halfling, elf, and human that Loknar had come to meet, before turning their focus and their ire back on one another. The half orc could feel all eyes on him, which was just what he wanted as he prepared to demonstrate his prowess to his newest companions.”

”Wait, what…?”

”The inquisitive, halfling lass had apparently not heard all of the stories about Loknar the Loquacious, but as the half orc knocked out one villager... then the other... with successive punches while narrating the entire ordeal, the Hin began to understand with a delighted laugh and wide eyes. The tall, handsome, well-dressed half orc with the commanding baritone voice was indeed the one they had sent for; the one they were here to meet. As the last remaining villager slumped to the floor and the halfling clapped with much appreciated enthusiasm, Loknar cleaned the blood from his knuckles and caught his breath, giving the other adventurers a moment to gather their thoughts.”

”I… we… you... what?”

”The unassumingly beautiful, but obviously shy, elven cleric of Lathander was awestruck by Loknar’s magnificence. Not an entirely uncommon occurrence, he thought as he winked at her, causing her cheeks to redden. As a boy Loknar had learned that all the greatest heroes had songs sung and stories told about them, and he was determined to be a great hero someday. Alas! His hometown had no great bards or minstrels, and so Loknar was forced to resort to the only option available: he would do it himself! No longer were the good people of Faerun forced to wait years for the deeds of great heroes to reach their ears.”

”Huh?”

”Bigger than any human Loknar had ever seen, but probably none too bright, the great, fur-clad, Uthgardt’s confusion was well-warranted. Loknar fetched a mug of ale from the portly barkeep and sighed before he took a long sip before and continued his tale. Learning all there was of word and song, young Loknar set out into the great, wide world to prove himself worthy of the tales he was telling. Here in this small village some drunken louts had impugned his mother’s virtue, and, because he was a man of principle who loved for his mother, Loknar had thrashed the lot of them. "With ease!" he said, raising his mug and smiling at his new party members who could only guess that he was also skilled with the blade at his hip that his eyes darted to for emphasis.”

”Get out of my bar you maniac!”

”Understandably upset at the commotion they had all caused, the exasperated barkeep pointed them towards the door. Loknar set his mug down and pulled several gold coins from his purse, and set them on the bar with a bow as he said, "For the damage". He then turned and walked towards the rest of the adventuring party, winking once more at the flustered cleric who no doubt was wondering about his other nickname, Loknar the Long. Perhaps it was because he was very tall, or perhaps it was because people didn't always remember to add '-winded' to the end of the nickname which extolled his impressive breath control, or perhaps only time would tell if she found a... satisfying answer to that mystery, but for now it was time to leave. Patting the hulking barbarian on the shoulder as he brushed past him, Loknar stepped through the middle of the three adventurers and out the door of the inn, ready to grow the legend of… Loknar the Loquacious!”

"Shut up!"

"But lo, Loknar could not stop telling his tale, even as he walked away from the inn and those poor souls inside could no longer..."

”Huh?”

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:37 AM

Tools
User Statistics
orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane orcbane
We're a little past the halfway mark for February's contest, and we've got 2 contestants. The prompt was drastically different this time around. What do y'all think? Better as a story prompt instead of a pure character creation prompt? Does limiting it to D&D characters make it overly restrictive?

Anyway, there's still 12.5 days left to submit your entries for the February prize!
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 03:15 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2960
Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo Menzo
It'll be alright. Everyone submits character applications at the last minute!
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:10 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7616
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcbane View Post
We're a little past the halfway mark for February's contest, and we've got 2 contestants. The prompt was drastically different this time around. What do y'all think? Better as a story prompt instead of a pure character creation prompt? Does limiting it to D&D characters make it overly restrictive? Anyway, there's still 12.5 days left to submit your entries for the February prize!
The prompt was awesome, and I know what I want to write but I'm overextended. Maybe I'll get something in by the 28th.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 11:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, wanna try some RPG character building with no commitment other than the possibility of crippling addiction? Right this way.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 06:34 AM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
I've been a little stuck on inspiration, but I think I finally have a character I find a little interesting - although it results in some self-nerf with a non-optimal multiclass.

Character App, February 2021
left-aligned image
Name: Zebar 'Clodfoot' Rolin
System: Pathfinder 1e (using Core options only)
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter 4 / Rogue 2

At one end of the campfire is a halfling slowly discarding his full plate armour. Resting against a log close by are his main armaments: a large trident with its prongs faded and slowly shortening from use, and a thick kite shield decorated with spikes. His dark skin is sweaty from wearing the armour across a whole warm day, his limbs more wiry than one would expect from someone travelling so extensively self-fortified - and as he scratches at humerous itches now that he's freed himself from his shell, a rough web of hideous and pale scars shows on his right leg whenever he lifts his pant leg to scratch. The halfling smiles self-consciously to anyone who notices. "Aye, don't take m' weight like it used ta on there. Hobble like a peg leg made o' warm beeswax if I don't keep mindful of it."

The halfling introduces himself as Zebar Rolin and refuses alcohol, again referring to his scarred leg and fear his balance will forsake him. "Ain't always a one-and-half legged sort," he says wistfully. "Used to be real soft on m' toes, like you'd reckon. Real creeper in my day. Made my buddies call me Silkfoot. They hated it, so I pushed it more."

No one asks what happened. Zebar relives it anyway, in front of his eyes even as he sips from a waterbag. He was good alright - uncovered his fair share of traps, and enough of a sneak to catch duller marks by surprise. And he exploited his skills when he could, even swiping stray coins from the rest of his party when opportunities came up. Then Zebar got cocky, and picked the wrong pockets one night. His friends, those he travelled with on adventures, weren't around. Zebar still suspects they dawdled in finding him. Maybe they were sick of his antics. Can he blame them? Well, yes, even though he understands their frustrations from a rational point of view. But he had to get himself out of the thugs' den, first by stealth and then by desperate savagery. He'd paid for it, getting himself savaged in return. He hasn't walked the same since, despite his old party's cleric attending to the wounds.

He never forgot his old tricks, and his hands are still as deft as ever. But when he can't creep right, and can't move through shadows the way he fancied he could before that one fateful night, how far could he push those skills? Zebar was at a crossroads. And he decided that, seeing as he could no longer be the nimble type, he'd lean the other way. Near-death hadn't taught him humility, and the idea of being sub-par at his specialty rankled him - so he needed to reinvent himself and change up that specialty. Eschew the smooth adaptive strength of water in favour of resolute earth. He'd be immovable.

"Saw y'lookin' at the plate," he says to a companion by the fire. "Took me a pretty coin to buy it. Had most of the fund stashed away, but in earnin' the rest I learned to swing around somethin' bigger than a little fruit-slicer, let me tell ya." He reaches for the trident out of instinct, but there's no danger here. "Can't take on much leg platin' on account of the lame limb ya' gandered at before, but long as I keep my weight on m' left, I can throw down with anythin' with an aim of upseatin' me."

He learned that the hard was as well. He'd been one of a group of sellswords wrangled together to defend a highland confederacy of villages from an invading army. He'd helped to hold the line, even when his legs screamed with pain and he was propping his shield (a more modest hunk of steel than his current model) on the ground to keep it upright. Horsemen came at him, and he learned how to brace himself against them. He'd thought himself as mad in that moment, turning away from trickery and guile that allowed him to gain without confrontation if his footsteps were soft and his fingers light. Maybe something had shifted in him the night he'd gotten his reckoning. Maybe he'd felt weak, being caught out and made vulnerable, and this was his way of overcompensating. If he felt he had something to prove, he wasn't sure what it was, or to whom he was trying to prove that amorphous point. But he'd been practically alone at the end, him and a few other straggers, defending a mountain pass with jagged spears and little else by the end.

"Anyway, point of me bein' here," Zebar continues now, "is lookin' for some travel partners. I've been in some scraps and gotten my due in my, erm, specialty. I used to travel with a band, but I let it get sour. Reinvented myself since that patch o' m'life. I'm keen for gold, don't go down easy on a account of havin' dodged it many a time before, and know songs that would make your rakish uncle blush. I don't need t' always do the virtuous thing, although I'm tired of bein' a rough thing to those around me. Perfect for raidin' forgotten places and keepin' peace in rough lands, ey? I feel safer in the wilds than I do in cities these days anyhow. So, whaddya say?"

Last edited by HotsuSama; Feb 26th, 2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1618
Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity Maestrosity
Gurfell Giantslayer
right-aligned image
Gurfell entered the tavern and looked around. Some drunks at the bar, a maid serving drinks, and at a table in the corner an odd mixture of races and weapon-heavy attires. Time to rescue them.
Gurfell walked over to the band of adventurers. "Greetings, I'm Gurfell Giantslayer. I'm here for the interview." After shaking their hands and memorizing the names of the elven ranger, the gnomish wizard, the halfling rogue, and the human fighter, Gurfell took a seat. He rested the axe that had been attached to his belt against his knee. He could barely stand the clumsily big weapon as he walked, and when he sat it was a true bother.

"Thank you for meeting with us today." The ranger began. "Have you been an adventurer for long?"
"That I have indeed! I may not look the part, but I'm almost 300 years old. Most of my years, I have spent with adventurers like yourselves, saving lives as we went. My previous party decided to quit adventuring and live on the wealth they had acquired. So now I'm looking for a new band of heroes."
"I noticed you mentioned your name is Giantslayer. Is that your clan's name, or a nickname you earned?" The gnome inquired.
"Earned, thanks to this little helper." Gurfell padded the axe that rested against his leg. "I may be a bard, but I pull my weight when it comes to decapitating monsters." Gurfell took a moment to observe the wizard: the tufts of white hair that sprouted from under a purple pointy hat, the glasses on the huge nose, the tiny eyes that looked about with great interest in everything that crossed their path. Gurfell managed to stifle a chuckle. He had seen the type many times before. "So, who am I replacing?"
"Our beloved bard, a half-elf with a golden voice. We lost her when we infiltrated a tribe of orcs. We did not even manage to take her broken body with us to bury it."
"She's most likely wolf-food now." The halfling carelessly commented. Gurfell noticed a tear welled up in the elf's eye. They might have been lovers. That made this a lot easier.
"I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost many friends too. This path we choose is a dangerous one, isn't it? Noble? Sure, but dangerous. The previous party I was a part of, they've got it good now. They bought themselves a farm, work it hard, and help feed the village they now live in. When danger threatens the village, they're still able to help out with the rescue, but they don't seek out the dangers anymore. Is their profession less noble? I don't think so. Feeding a village and protecting it from within."
The human fighter looked at Gurfell. He had been quiet so far, but now, almost shyly, said "I always wanted to run an inn..."
"I'm a great cook!" The halfling chimed in.
"I couldn't live with myself if I lost any of you!"

Gurfell smiled. This verbal adventure had saved four lives. The poor souls wouldn't have gotten far in this evil world. In a little while, there'll be an inn here that I can probably stay in at a discount. "I'm sorry to hear you're not continuing as adventurers, though I understand your decision. I wish you the best of luck with your inn."

Character ConceptWith three levels of Bard (taking the Eloquence subclass), three levels of Ranger (taking the Fey Wanderer subclass), and Expertise in Deception and Persuasion, Gurfell can roll no lower than a 22 on Deception and Persuasion. He uses his skills to talk adventurers out of adventuring, which he feels saves their lives. He turns them into what he sees as a useful part of society. The problems that adventurers usually solve are best dealt with by the proper military forces anyway.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:03 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Deadline reached. Thank you to the applicants for making this a successful month! I'll announce the winner on Sunday, and post the March prompt on Monday morning.

Good luck and good weekend to you all!
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 07:42 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Great applications all around. It's a rough prompt, buy y'all delivered a fantastic batch of clever and imagination take-offs on the expectations. If these characters were assembled together as a party, it'd certainly be interesting!

The WinnerThe Monthly Character Application Contest for February 2021 Gold One goes to the contestant that turned the whole idea on its head, and utilized the RAW rules as a tool to break away from the presumptive mode of the game.

Join me in congratulating Maestrosity for their winning application: Gurfell Giantslayer, who is a multi-classed, power-gamed masterpiece of convincing adventurers to retire to a more comfortable and civilized lifestyle. If Gurfell had his way, D&D adventures would be played with tabletop wargame armies flooding into the dungeon, not a few meager souls trying to defy the odds. That's quite a giant to slay!

Congratulations and great work, Maestrosity! With less than 600 words, you put together an engaging character that plays with the tropes on the table and around it. While built like an adventurer, I wonder if perhaps Gurfell is the ultimate D&D adversary? If a DM ever wanted to "get rid" of a batch of characters without a TPK, Gurfell might be just the ticket!

Stay tuned for the March prompt!
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 08:47 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Game NameMonthly Character Application Contest
March 2021: It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's...

Game SystemPlayer's Choice!
FlavourDramatic, Comedic, Tragic, Enigmatic, Epic, Erotic, Antiheroic, or any other super-spice!
Plot SummaryLaw has abandoned the sprawling, fast-paced city of Poliadica. Citizens traverse the streets like groups of prey animals, constantly anxious of being picked out as a victim by any of the city's cornucopia of thieves, thugs, killers, kingpins, brutes, lowlifes, and, of course, villains.

The highest offices speak often and loudly about what will be done to improve to lives of citizens, but their words ring hollow as the years of lawlessness march on and the lives of the average civilian continues to sink further and further into decrepit dismay.

It is onto this stage that a hero appeared. Hope may be rekindled among the common people of Poliadica. Things just might begin to change.
ApplicationCreate an entry-level hero to address the issues facing Poliadica. They obviously cannot fix all of the Poliadica's woes in a single day, but as the hero grows into their power and calling, so too will their capacity to respond to the needs of those that inhabit the despairing city.

Your application should include the character's pre-heroic history, their experiences of Poliadica, the source of their power, what drives them to seek change in the city rather than abandon it, what their goals are, and what they see as the biggest obstacles to achieving their goals. You are free to use any RPG system to create your character. Please do include some basic character-build details. They can be as vague or as robust as you prefer, but the character build should reflect the fictional content of your application

Bonus Points for:
Contributive worldbuilding
Inventive RPG system usage
Something like concision (less than 2,000 words)