Notices

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 04:49 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 733
Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian Dystopian
Character creation

I have some idea of what a character in DnD should look like, but if someone can give me a step by step rundown of how it works in Dnd 5e, I'd be appreciative. It's been a long time since I played and I need to brush up on things and catch up on the changes in DnD since I last played some 20 years ago.
"Creative aspiration becomes everyone. " || I have taken the oath of Sangus.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6790
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
So in 5th Edition you can just follow along with the PHB, as in the first chapter there's a little walkthrough for creating Baby's First Character.

Since you've got prior experience, here is an abbreviated version:
  1. Decide on the character concept you want to play
  2. Choose a race (and sometimes a subrace). Races give feats and skills and bonuses to stats. Note that Tasha's Cauldron of Everything (an official sourcebook) has alternate rules for races.
  3. Choose a class. Classes obviously give you feats and skills and other abilities.
  4. Assign ability scores (stats) by either rolling or using the standard array or point buy, depending on your DM
  5. Instead of BAB and Caster Levels, 5e just has a "proficiency bonus" that scales with character level (not with class level), so most rolls look like:
    Code:
    1d20 + stat bonus + proficiency bonus if you're proficient in that skill or save
    You might see in the spell or feat descriptions mention of Advantage or Disadvantage. If you have Advantage or Disadvantage, you make the same roll twice and then take the higher or the lower as appropriate.
  6. Choose a background. Note that there are "official" backgrounds in the PHB. Backgrounds give you skills and flavour items and usually a special kind of feat called a "background feat" which is intended to be a roleplay-only kind of unique ability. Note that it is explicitly legal per the rules as written in the PHB to come up with a custom background and to customize the existing ones.
  7. Buy gear based on starting gold or use the starting gear from your class/background,
  8. Fill out your sheet with AC and saves and all that good stuff.

I think that's about it.

Last edited by Astra; Apr 10th, 2021 at 05:00 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 05:24 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you Astra, that certainly helps. I'll try to make a new character from scratch. I don't much like using generators 'n such generally.

I'll post what I got here when I have a first draft done.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
I have a question... I want to create a lizardman bard character (unusual combo, I know), but since lizardmen aren't actually in the dnd core book, I'm unsure how to proceed.
I made a Dragonborn character using D&D Beyond's character generator, but I hope I can play it as a lizardman. Any suggestions?

Here's the link: Scyrath the Poet
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
For some reason I can't see his backstory on there, so I'll post it here:

Scyrath is a lizardman from a small tribe, located somewhere deep in the Tyskindia marshlands, far from what anyone would consider civilization.
From an early age, he was different from the others in his village, displaying an uncharacteristic curiosity for the outside world and a keen thirst for knowledge. As he got older, he spent time trying to examine the nature of things and became increasingly frustrated that the others in his village were perfectly content living as hunter gatherers and didn't show much interest in what existed beyond the confines of the marshlands.
One day, when Scyrath was a young adolescent, a small caravan made the mistake of venturing into the Tyskindia marshes, attempting to cut a considerable amount of time off their journey. In the end, the only thing getting cut off were their heads and body parts by the hunters of Scyrath's village. Scyrath had reluctantly come along at his father's repeated insistence that it was time for him to become a proper hunter. When the time came however, Scyrath didn't feel much inclination to massacre random travellers, so he decided to hang back until the slaughter was over.
After some time, the screaming of the hapless travellers faded away, indicating the fight had come to its inevitable conclusion and Scyrath slowly made his way to the site of the battle. As he got closer though, he heard a faint rustling in the foliage to his side. When he went to investigate, he discovered a young human woman, bleeding badly from the wounds inflicted by two lizardman arrows piercing her left leg. She must have managed to crawl away from the fray in the chaos.
Hesitantly, Scyrath raised his jagged blade to do what he'd be taught to do: kill.
The woman looked up at him with mortal fear in her eyes and opened her mouth to scream, but the lizardman quickly lowered his weapon and covered her mouth with his hand.
"Ssstay quiet if you want to live," Scyrath hissed as he knelt to examine the woman's leg. It was in bad shape and looked like it would probably have to come off if she were to have any chance of survival. The woman slowly closed her mouth and stopped trying to move away from the lizardman, obviously confused.
"You're... not going to kill me?" she asked incredulously as she stared up at the scaly figure looming over her.
"No," Scyrath replied, "but your leg isss in bad ssshape. If I leave you like thisss, gangreen will sssoon ssset in and you'll be asss good asss dead anyway. It'll have to come off..."
"N-no..." the woman stammered, "I can't lose my leg!"
She looked around in a frantic panic. "There's a healer in my party. I'm sure she can-"
"Your party isss dead," Scyrath cut in, "and we don't have much time. Do you want me to try to sssave your life or not?"
The woman swallowed something, looked around as if praying for some miraculous last-minute intervention and when none came slowly nodded.
"I'm sssorry, but thisss will hurt."
Scyrath moved as quickly as he could. He severed the woman's leg with one swing of his massive blade. She cried out in pain and passed out. The young lizardman quickly tore a few strips of fabric off of his cape, wrapped up the woman's stump as best he could to stop the bleeding and moved her to a slightly more secluded spot behind some nearby bushes. He quickly went back to the severed leg he'd left behind, picked it up and pulled out the two arrows, discarding them quickly as he heard the voices of his fellow lizardfolk drawing nearer.
"I know I heard sssomething over here," the voice of Lyscinia, a fierce huntress of his village reached his earholes. Scyrath quickly made his way to the party and triumphantly waved the woman's leg in the air as he saw them.
"I got my firssst kill!" he exclaimed proudly.
His fellow villagers roared in approval and soon the party returned to the village, where Scyrath's father and mother heaped praise on him for his triumphant participation in the raid. All he could think of was getting back to the human woman as quickly as possible though. He hadn't had time to cauterize the wound and if he didn't do that quickly, the rot would set in and she'd die anyway. A shiver went down his spine as he remembered how one of their pigs had once died that way because the injury had gone by unnoticed for too long. It hadn't been pretty and the meat had been spoiled as well.
The first chance he got, he rushed back to where he'd left the human. She was still unconscious, which made it a bit easier to scorch the wound shut with the red hot hunting knife's blade. When she came to again a little while later, Scyrath left some food and water with her and promised to come back regularly to tend to her.
In the weeks that followed, the two became friends and Scyrath learned that she was actually the daughter of an impoverished noble family who made a living as a bard. Her name was Forsitha and as it turned out, she was quite adept at playing the lyre which she'd kept strapped to her back. But most remarkable for Scyrath was that fact that she could read and write, a craft nobody in his village had mastered. There weren't even any books to be found.
As she healed, she started teaching the young lizardman and when she was strong enough to travel again, Scyrath made a crutch for her and set out into the world with her. She taught him about poetry, writing and story telling and even bought him his first book: a children's book full of fairy tales, which instantly became Scyrath's favourite.
It turned out the young lizardman has quite the knack for writing and flowerful language, especially poetry. He didn't care much for music, since his race wasn't blessed with singing talent, but the spoken word and written poetry captivated him and he learned eagerly and hungrily, like a flower kept in the dark for too long will soak up the sun when it finally can.
Some years later, misfortune struck as Forsitha was killed by a runaway horse cart as she was crossing the street. Scyrath buried her on a sunny hillside and vowed to keep her memory alive.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27031
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I see that you've applied to the NPSG. That's a great entry to the site! The OP in the thread where you requested a game has a link to a character-creation tutorial

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15622

As far as playing a Lizardman: there is an official 5e version of this race, which is published in Volo's Guide to Monsters. That will put up a few barricades. Some GMs will permit that resource in their games, and some will not (the NPSG will not, for example). You'll need to get your hands on that resource in order to follow the rules, and we can't provide it here, since that would be piracy.

Many GMs would encourage you to do exactly what you've done - use the Dragonborn rules and "re-fluff" them to say they look like a Lizard person. For some players, that's good enough. Others don't like that compromise (lizardfolk, for example should NOT have breath weapons, and dragonborn do not have a Bite attack or the ability to hold their breath like a lizardfolk does). You could always talk to your GM about re-arranging some abilities to better match your vision. Again, some GMs will be very flexible with this, and some will not.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 10:25 AM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
Uh... what's NPSG? :$
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27031
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
The New Player Solo Game, where you requested to play.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38131
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
An acronym for New Player Solo Game

<<Edit>> Dang, now I owe Wyn a Coke ~_~

Community Supporters, it's time to do your civic duty! ;)

Last edited by Imveros; Apr 10th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Wordsmith & artist

Tools
User Statistics
LOL I just figured it out.
I've been advised to just join a regular game though and I think that's probably for the best. I hope we can get things sorted for both me and Ninja, but he still has more character creation to do.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 06:58 AM
that one ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 102
just some ninja just some ninja
i have a character, but i have trouble making a backstory, i am not much of a writer, although i am son of dystopian, who is a great writer. too bad i am not.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38131
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Don't sweat it ninja, it's a skill just like any other. You work at it long enough and you'll get there.

Haha, you should have seen some of my early character backgrounds. They weren't just shameless copies of pop culture characters at all...

<_<
>_>

Good, I think they bought it!

Community Supporters, it's time to do your civic duty! ;)
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22306
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by just some ninja View Post
i have a character, but i have trouble making a backstory, i am not much of a writer, although i am son of dystopian, who is a great writer. too bad i am not.
Creating a backstory is something that takes practice, the more you do it the better you'll get at it.

Here are some easy points to play around with in your mind to craft a fun character:
  • Birthplace - Where were they born? Doesn't have to be an exact city, just an environment to help you think of how they live now or before
  • Friends and Family - These shape us greatly whether we're aware of it or no. Its a common trope for players to kill off all friends and family and have their character be orphaned, which - fine, it happens and good stories can come from it. Instead, I would suggest trying to keep some contacts alive for your character and give reasons as to how they influenced them to a life of adventuring or whatnot.
  • Past Details - what was your character doing before taking on a life of adventuring?
  • Class Motivation - What made them become a {insert class}?
  • Goals - What do they want to accomplish? What do you want to accomplish with them? Doesn't have to be grand. "I want to slay an Owlbear to prove to my brothers I can!" would be a simple example.

Just keep drafting up characters and flesh out their story. Even if they never see the light of day at a table/game that is alright. Those who cannot become heroes often make fantastic NPCs

Last edited by Retry; Apr 16th, 2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 02:32 PM
that one ninja

Tools
User Statistics
thanks for the advice
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 03:28 PM
that one ninja

Tools
User Statistics
i am definitley not going to fall into the hands of the trope of the ''my village burnt down'', i am keeping it at least semi wholesome. always thought that was a way overdone trope.