twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:10 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Demagogue
I wish that whenever anyone wishes the wisher experiences no adverse effects, as judged by the wisher, as a result of their wish.

I wish myself into a fish.

I wish corruption into impossibility.

I wish entropy into nonexistence.

I wish the ability upon penguins to wear tuxedos, whether or not tuxedos have been invented in this campaign setting.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:13 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Demagogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman2007
for starters, cool idea for a thread.

now try and beat this.

i, coolman2007, being of sound mind and body, and wishing to remain of sound mind and body, do hereby wish that i instantly be given the ability to rule the world, both this and any other realm i choose. with this statement, i wish that my power be ensured for all eternity, having no harmful side effects to me or to any other being, both living and nonliving, happen. also, i wish that i from now on do not age, decay or change in any way, both mentally or physically.

beat this one!
You have the ability to rule the world, but no way of knowing how to access this ability.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:19 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Pita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demagogue
You're in a fish!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
DrClaeys
Friends, There are some intresting ideas here. I had a very cleaver DM once, that would twist your wishes into different meanings. But then at times, when we were getting our clocks cleaned by a litch, He use the flavor of the wish, and harmed the litch enough to leave.

Like wishing someone back to life, and then they are, BUT as a young boy or girl.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JJeff
Quote:
I wish that whenever anyone wishes the wisher experiences no adverse effects, as judged by the wisher, as a result of their wish.
Ok, whenever someone wishes, he or she gets turned into a judge that must judge him or herself whether he or she is adverse to him or herself. If the wisher judges yes, he is adverse to him or herself, the wish ends with no effect. If the wishes judges that no, there is no adverse effect, the judging itself is adverse since it contains a negative response and thus the wish fails.

Thus all wishes fail from that day onwards

Quote:
You teleport without error into the belly of a giant fish and become crushed to death by muscular action.

Quote:
I wish corruption into impossibility.
You get renamed "Corruption", you get teleported into the belly of a large fish called "Impossibility", you then become crushed in the belly by muscular action.

OR

Impossible Corruption is created and the world goes crazy

OR

All impossibility is corrupted and everything becomes possible

Quote:
I wish entropy into nonexistence.
You get renamed "Entropy", you become non-existant

OR

Entropy, which is the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system, enters non-existance, creating a degree of uncertain non-existance which results in disorderly expulsion of what was non-existant into existance since non-existance becomes uncertain.

Quote:
I wish the ability upon penguins to wear tuxedos, whether or not tuxedos have been invented in this campaign setting.
All penguins in the current campaign setting have an Ability strapped upon their back which allows anyone who touches this Ability to wear a tuxedos, which happen to have just been invented as a cursed item that causes you to turn into a penguin with an ability strapped upon your back that allows anyone who...... <blah blah>

Last edited by JJeff; Mar 31st, 2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:56 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
For the record, all the 'rename' twists are pretty lame.

Also, I feel strongly that wishes that are reasonable or replicate a spell should succeed unless really badly worded. I also feel that the penalty for bad wording should in most cases correspond to the the amount of power wished for.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:11 PM
waking from the dead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
Mirtos Mirtos Mirtos Mirtos Mirtos Mirtos Mirtos
While this thread is definitely interesting, it is unfrtunately, not really appropriate here. It is no longer (if it really ever was) about experiences in a game from a roleplaying sense.

Therefore, it has been Moved to General Discussion.

Please continue.

Sincerely,

Mirtos & the DnD Online Games Staff

A Pirates Life: Main Game
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Balderk Bootaxe

Tools
User Statistics
DannyLewis
Quote:
DannyLewis, stop being an a**hole. Sorry for my use of inappropriate language, but you're not funny, and you are really making a negative contrabution to this thread in my opinion.
I wasn't supposed to be funny, all i was trying to do was make an uncorruptable wish and only because i made one you are being the very thing you are calling me.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
quadanar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLewis
I wish i had another wish that is the same as the wish i am casting.
Since you are wishing for essentially infinite wishes as your casting this one, your almost granted them; but the wish spell never fully completes due to the infinite loop and fizzles (that or you eventually die from old age caught in the thralls of casting, never being able to complete your wish). So the wish never becomes completed and is thus corrupted.

Or, due to you mispelling "I" with "i", a man named "i" (not you) is granted the wishes. Corruption.

And my wish:

I wish for a +5 keen-edged, cleaving, flame-bursting, vorpaling longsword.

I know this one's easy; bonus points go to the one with the most creative corruption! :biggrin:

I'll corrupt it first: The sword appears out of nowhere, slicing off your head into multiple pieces in a flash of firey death!

Last edited by quadanar; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5943
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadanar
I wish for a +5 keen-edged, cleaving, flame-bursting, vorpaling longsword.
1st corruption: You get the lonsword, which happens to be very cursed, and turns you against all your friends. After you kill them, you develop a nasty disease from it, and die in agony.

2nd corruption: You get said sword, but it's made for a creature of size huge, and you're a halfling.

3rd corruption: GM smiles evily as he suddenly appears in your world and gives you the sword. It looks to be exactly what you wanted in every way, but you're so scared that your wish has been corrupted and that if you wield the sword something bad will happen, that you never use it.

4th corruption: The Sword is intelligent and has an ego of 70, so basically the GM roleplays your character for you the rest of the game.

Ok, I've got one. This is taken straight from the Disney movie Aladin, where at the very end, Aladin wishes the genie to be free. So you're the genie, and you really want to be free, and you would be really grateful to anyone who frees you. "I wish you to be free!" I say.

Last edited by anamiac; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 326
summondice summondice summondice summondice
Ok...so I've read about 90% of this thread (skipped over some corruptions and some wishes but never both of either) and it would appear that corruption has certain properties....namely, the caster has to die. Which seems kind of silly, really. Afterall, there are far worse things than death

I wasn't going to participate in this thread as it seems to have progressed to a point of childishness, and in my opinion it's not on the part of DannyLewis (that's not to say it's on anyone in particular. It will momentarily appear that I'm pointing a finger, but I promise I'm not...blame on this one in my mind lies in several places).
Quote:
DannyLewis, stop being an a**hole. Sorry for my use of inappropriate language, but you're not funny, and you are really making a negative contrabution to this thread in my opinion.
I know the temptation to rules lawyer one's own thread is strong...but sometimes things evolve and sometimes someone doesn't play by our rules...it happens. All I've seen DannyLewis do is point out fallacies in the corruptions to his wishes and whether or not these fallacies make sense (I think some do and some don't). What seems to be making the difference is that he's debating the issues. He's one of very few who have pointed out what doesn't work in a corruption and why, and for that it appears he's being called names? Rather than point fingers and whine, why not point out why one's own logic is better? That's really what corruption is all about, isn't it? Finding the logical loophole, instead of the fantastical...it's the logical ones that have the most impact. For example, I found it brilliant when JJeff broke down a wish so that parts happened before the wish was finished (although, now that I think about it...it would be quite difficult to finish a wish while dead, and wouldn't a wish need that sense of finality before death can occur...? meh, minor detail ). That was a unique approach.

Simply saying an ogre pops out from behind a tree and kills you is not unique and would likely anger PCs because there are other factors involved at that point. Ogres, when they pop out from behind trees, do not simply kill you - you initiate combat...though it may turn out that one does indeed die, it would not directly be because of the wish in most cases.

JJeff pointed out somewhere that it's about how the DM percieves it, but I think that there are certain rules of logic that even a DM can't ignore, lest his players all leave him. It seems to me that a good DM in truly corrupting a wish will use logic, and will be willing to answer to the logic of his or her players (though a thorough job, which is what the corruption ought to be in the first place, will ellude questions).

So, here's my contribution...possible properties a corruption should have to be classified as a corruption:
1 - it appears that the caster must be physically, mentally, or spiritually harmed/defeated (I add: The player should also be recognizant of his ultimate defeat through the wish. The link between the wish and defeat must be directly tied together, otherwise, what would be the point of corrupting a wish in the first place? It seems that it was once to show the negative effects of greed...).

2 - logic would dictate that the corruption must somehow interfere with the purpose of the wish. For example, I do think that JJeff was successful in corrupting DannyLewis' wish of "I wish i had another wish that is the same as the wish i am casting" because the purpose of the wish was simply for something to be happening. Thus, for nothing to happen in the way described would serve to both grant, and prohibit the wish, a true corruption.

3 - a true wish or corruption will not step outside the bounds of logic. For example, a wish for omnipotence is quite easily thwarted by saying the wish was a dud because no being can make a square a triangle (not as in can't move parts of it to create a triangle...simply that the concept of a square cannot be made the same thing as the concept of a triangle. Please please please for the love of whatever higher being may exist do not start debating this in this thread...), nor could such a being logically create a rock so large even he/she/it cannot lift (again...refrain from debating here...they're just examples).

4 - the frustration level of all involved would dictate that the corruption not go outside its bounds (ie, your wish is granted and you get the ring of nine lives, but ten ogres ambush you and each one kills you...the wish can't easily justify why it's dictating that the ogres all kill you. It might, though it's a stretch to say justifiably, bring about the ogres, but the wisher is not incapable of protecting him or herself. That battle is not lost simply because of the wish - it wouldn't make sense).

That's all I can think of as far as that goes. On another note, at the beginning of a game my DM once asked me if there were any other supplies my character wanted and I said that indeed there was: Being a prim, proper sort, she wanted a canopy. A can of peas promptly fell from the sky. Dell, I believe they were.

I guess I ought to submit a wish, aye? I wish to, upon the completion of the saying the last word of this wish, including its addenda, become the personification of Aristotle's philosophy regarding the means of virtues as I understand it; that is, that I know and can and do implement the appropriate action at the appropriate time with the appropriate weight attached (that is, I know to what degree an emotion should be used and am able to and do use that emotion to that degree) toward the appropriate persons, places, things and ideas, or the singular person, place, thing or idea when appropriate, at all times; that no harm in any way, shape or form, befall my physical, emotional, and/or spiritual self, nor befall any person(s) place(s) thing(s) or ideas(s) to which an objective god or godess of justice would not find fitting.

Oh, and I wish for a cheesburger created on the material plane to appear on the material plane on the plate to my left, fit for eating, and with the ability to disolve should any piece of it be caught in my throat. Oh, and that the Hamburgler is nowhere nearby

On the I wish, I corrupt thing...I don't think either part of this would work because neither have a purpose - they are simply attributes of something and not directly related to one another.

*shrug* Sorry so long....I keep skipping the "How to Shut Up Faster in Online Forums" class.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
The Whizz-ard

Tools
User Statistics
Khir-Zad Thelanar
Hmm, your first wish is granted, but since you have become the epitome of "perfection", you no longer have a place on this material plane - you are beyond human. An angel, an inevitable and a devil come to ask you this question:

"Overcome the limits of this world by harnessing the power of the nether realms, which is the only place you may further your goals. Or, you may choose to continue living here by dropping five of the said attributes. That is the only way to not jeopardize our meaning. What say you?"

(OR)

Level 100 and game over! Do you REALLY want that???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting at Nowhere Cafe, the place where they make heavenly cheeseburgers, you are offered a cheeseburger for free. Unfortunately, a man, in your first momentary lapse of alertness, steals your burger; The Hamburglar!!!

Again, sadly, the free deal was one time only. Well, you can still buy one, right?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
TheTruthBehindAllTruths

Tools
User Statistics
Shadowfax
I wish to have an incorruptible wish, which I use to make you incapable of corrupting wishes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
The Whizz-ard

Tools
User Statistics
Khir-Zad Thelanar
Double negation time baby! Since we are not able of corruption, there is no such thing as CORRUPTION! Therefore, your wish has been declared obsolete, for corruption is non-existant. There can be no "in" form for something that isn't there...
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
*beats the dead horse*

Tools
User Statistics
SilverxVenom
Hmmm...putting my toe in this icy waters...

I shall wish for a wish that can be used upon a wish to make a wish.

Ugh, I'm confusing myself...but yeup. That's my first wish.
My second would be,
I wish for my wish to be corrupted so I can laugh about this corrupted wish until I can think of another wish.

I should stop...