Notices

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 707
milkshake milkshake milkshake milkshake milkshake milkshake milkshake
With a single-mindedness that could be achieved only by a robot, the spider-mechanism took off out of the shop, and down the road to the east out of town.

As it happened, there was a couple sitting in a house across the way enjoying the pleasant afternoon. Or, they were enjoying it until a mighty rucus clambored across the street at the usually docile chemist's shop. When they heard this rucus, like the domestic and mostly useless people they were, they stopped enjoying the evening and instead stood frozen in place, clutching eachother.

They had a horse outside their house, perhaps their private transportation, or perhaps that of someone else. Needless to say, they were suprised when a large foriegn man jumped on it with practiced effeciancy and made it take off after the spider.

They were equally suprised when he fell off the horse.

Of course, Arabin did not let this stop him. He got back on the horse, and took off out of town, leaving his companions behind, and persuing the spider, which had a considerable lead on him.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM
Out of Control...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
trebane
Holding a curse, Galena scrabbles down from the roof and would take off after Arabin, until she watches - in dismay - as he mounts the horse and takes off. "By Pelor's light," she moans, slapping a hand to her forehead. "Arabin, be safe..."
---Steven Brust
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
Aust climbs from the burning roof, and looks around at his companions.

He shouts loudly "Should we follow Arabin and the spider?"
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Two soldiers were now standing by the building, talking to one another and looking very confused. They bore the egg-shaped emblem of new recruits.

After the attack of the mechanical creature, the city was very quiet. The air seemed even hotter than before, if that was possible. Aust's shout sounded out of place, though obviously a decision needed to be made with haste.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1057
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
"Ahtan marlan nah!" (Roughly: "Get your a** back here!") Arabin shouted at the beast in his native tongue as he persued it, urging the horse on. Whispering a few encouraging words into it's ear, he wondered in the back of his mind if it understood him. (Wild Empathy Check. This may be a bad time, but, if this succeeds, can I make this horse my animal companion?)

(Do I take any damage from the fall?)
Status (3/26/18): On a short hiatus. Work + allergies + probably sick.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
The horse, brown and small for a horse but muscled and agile, who obviously had not been allowed to run as much as it may have liked, instead being made to pull wagons or other trailors in a task not very suited for its breed, was enjoying the chance to run with only a rider. Being a horse, it did not mind that the run was completely random and its purpose was unknown.

Arabin covered what must have been a quarter mile or more of rolling hills and downward slopes as he pursued the spider, but after a short while it was clear that the spider was only losing its lead. When Arabin was no more than 10 meters away from the spider, and feeling quite jarred from riding, the spider did what could only have been expected of it, considering the wings attached to its spherical body.

As the spider took flight, its speed remaining the same as it had been on the ground, it veered directly north toward the ocean. Arabin was dissapointed...
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus Prometheus
He could never catch it now. Even if he did catch up to it, it would just go higher. He let himself fall from the horse, staring blankly at the sky. He remembered what he had said earlier, and knew he had overestimated himself. I failed... We need that book... and I let that thing get away... What am I going to tell them? Maybe I should have never left Sandland...

(In case I disappear, and you need to NPC me, Arabin will stay lying on the ground, motionless, for 24 hours, unless someone, or something, comes close enough for him to succeed a spot or listen check to notice it.)

Last edited by TherestofBigby; Aug 4th, 2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Out of Control...

Tools
User Statistics
trebane
Galena looks at Aust and shrugs, "How? With the speed that creature and Arabin were moving at, there is no way we'd be able to catch up. All we can do is pray that Arabin got the book back." With a sigh, she turns away and walks into Diatpo's shop, to survey it and ask the gnome if he's alright.
---Steven Brust
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Aust mutters quietly under his breath. "Optimistic..."

Aust looks around for water or a person to dispatch to go get the towns fire crew, if there is one. Such an elf of the forest knows the dangers of the fact the roof is still on fire...

Aust spots the soldiers with egg shaped emblems. "Don't just stand there! We need to put this fire out!"
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
As Aust spoke to the idle gaurds, the one on the left jerked his head up faster than normally possible. The other spasmed in suprise, and then slowly looked toward whomever was adressing him.

"Right, right, yes, water, I'm doing that." said the new gaurd on the left, nodding. He sprinted off, and the other gaurd followed.

Aust now looked at the road where the spider had run. The horse that Arabin rode would have been almost impossible to follow, because the road was completely covered in tracks left by horses. However, the deep gashes let in the sand by the mechanical spider were exceedingly obvious.

Grimly, Aust looked to his companions and said, "Come on, we need to find that crazy man and the horse that he took."

It was a long and tension-filled walk following the tracks left by the spider. Just when the party was beginning to wonder if perhaps Arabin had stopped following it by now, the tracks stopped dead. Aust was angered and begin staring at the ground as he did small circles around the last track.

But, before Aust could confuse himself any further, Galena tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the body of their companion, sprawled on the sand six meters away. Aust grunted.

The horse was standing next to Arabin and looked at Aust and Galena, confused.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Out of Control...

Tools
User Statistics
trebane
Galena frowns at Arabin's body, although she can tell from the rise and fall of his chest that he's still alive, and from the lack of wounds, he's at least in decent physical health. Walking over next to him, she says, "Arabin, are you alright? Did you retrieve the book?"
---Steven Brust
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
Arabin sighed, sitting up, his back to his companions. He did not want them to see his shame. (It's a cultural thing.) "I fail..." He looked to the north, in the direction it had flown, trying to divine where it might have gone. Then, back at the ground. "It got book."

Arabin stood up, making sure the now-grazing horse was alright. "I am ready for the lashings..."
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Out of Control...

Tools
User Statistics
trebane
Startled, Galena pauses, "The... lashings?" She frowns, wondering what kind of world he came from, that any failure could result in such a harsh punishment. "Arabin, at the moment I think you're punishing yourself enough for all of us. If you feel the need, I'll let Aust heckle you a bit, but right at the moment we need to figure out where that thing went and how to track it."

She sighs as she looks over at Aust, then back at Arabin, "As a construct, that thing is tireless. It'll be able to run for days, and there is no way we can match that kind of speed. All we can do is hope to track it."
---Steven Brust
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
No heroes left in man...

Tools
User Statistics
Arabin was surprised by their lack of anger. He was sure that he was going to receive punishment. He pointed North. "It fly that way." He plopped back down. He was still bruised, tired and very stiff from the hard ride. And his next words were to here comment about tracking it. "No trail I know how follow."
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
"I am not going to heckle anybody. Regretably, I doubt I would have fared any better in the same circumstances, as I am no less able to fly then Arabin."

Aust looks at the way the tracks stop. And the fact the horse is beside Arabin. Theoretically, Arabin could have fallen off the horse, flying forward, or lept off it, explaining the lack of tracks. However, the horse is beside Arabin and the tracks stop 6 metres before Arabin and the horse. How in the name of the infernal pits and all that is evil did the horse jump six entire metres?

"Uhm, Arabin, I feel obliged to double check. Uh, this may sound odd, but, that horse, can not fly, correct?"