Traveller Pirates of Drinax- New Empire Rising - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13248
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Pirates of Drinax- New Empire Rising

Game NamePirates of Drinax- New Empire Rising
Game SystemTraveller
ThemeSpace Piracy, Empire Building, Swashbuckling
FlavourSci-Fi exploration, Ship Command, Dubious Heroes
Plot SummaryThe King of Drinax inherited and rules a once mighty, now failed and fallen Empire of Sindal or at least a few planets of it. He now watches trapped between two mighty empires, The Aslan and the Third Imperium, sitting on a prized trade route with a handful of aging ships, countless priceless cultural artifacts, and a will to change it all around. He longs to raise his Kingdom from a few planets to a return of a sector wide power again, one strong enough to fend off both encroaching powers and to secure his people's independence. One with hundreds of subject planets and a new rising of the Empire of Sindal. Of course such thing is a fever dream, but he will settle for becoming a sub-sector power again strong enough to fend off the encroaching Empires and to guarantee his people's freedom.

So he hatched a plan to do so. To raise the stakes of trade and enterprise in the thin stretch of unclaimed space and convincing the dozens if not hundreds of few planets and star systems scattered to once again accept the yoke of rulership in return for the promise of security. He needs a crew of loyal, capable, and most importantly, morally grey spacers to do so. To run an "independent" protection and piracy campaign one week and to be royal guards of the Drinaxian Empire the next promising an end to the raids if they raise his flag over their government.

Such a plan is bold and daring, hanging on the promise of futures in an uncertain present. He promises dukedoms, fiefs, gold, power, and much more to tempt experienced spacers to the Floating Palace. There are even rumors that a chosen successful privateer could succeed him on the throne. So in the shady corners of bars and the rough and tumble places of the world, the word is spread, King Oleb of Drinax, wishes to hire a half dozen experienced crew to run a campaign of privateering in his name. Who will answer the call and what will be writ in the stars.

Characters and Expectations and OtherWell I hope the above was tempting enough to get you to apply. The short and sweet version of it is that I wish to run the Pirates of Drinax campaign from Mongoose Publishing. I am looking for 6 Travellers to join this campaign. We will be using the current edition Update 2022 etc. from the Traveller website.

This is not a campaign for righteous do-gooding. You are going to be conducting a campaign of terror and piracy on innocent traders, merchants, and independent worlds. We will be focusing on the more heroic swashbuckling moments in our story, but trying to be something a of righteous holy warrior to save them all and protect them, well this isn't the campaign for that character.

Character Creation- Please DO NOT roll in this thread. When I get approval and a game folder, I will create a character creation thread for you to throw all of the rolls in.

PLEASE USE THE DICE WITH TAG ROLLER FOR CHARACTER CREATION.

You may roll through as many careers as you desire. I am not setting a cap. I would recommend everyone does at least 4 life cycles. There will be a house rule that I am going to add and if you die, start over.

House rule that I will be using is if you fail the survival check for a career, you make a second one. If you fail that as well, you die otherwise you roll the injury as normal.

Sourcebooks- Core book, Central Supply, Field Supply, and Glorious Empire. Basically everything that was in the humble bundle a few weeks ago. I have also gotten a copy of the High Guard, but you won't need that for Character Creation.

Posting Rate: 2 to 3 times a week. Combat will move faster.

Character ApplicationName:

Motivation:Why are you traveling to try and become a Privateer for King Oleb ? You are going to be committing dark deeds on his behalf, so what motivates you to do so? Money, Power, Carnal Desires, Something Else?

Personality: What are you like? Easy Going? Cold and Serious? Flirty?

Description: Everyone looks like something. I need written text here, but a picture is always pretty good.

History: Why would the King choose you? What makes you stand out? Are you an experienced Fleet Captain? Did you participate in an invasion? Did you make the Kessel Run in under 7 Parsecs? What makes you important?

I don't need a life story. I don't need to know about your parents, or how many siblings you have, or why you went from this career to that career. Just give me the highlights. Elevator pitch it to me.

Contact: Everyone will get one "free" contact regardless of how many others you end up with during creation you get one. This will be the person who told you about the job. Who made contact with you as word got out that the King was looking for a group of privateers.

How do you know each other? Why did they call you? What is their job? How did they find out?

Final Part: Give me a short example of your posting style. I like to describe my characters short and sweet. I am not a wordsmith and I don't write with 1,000 words in each post with a flair that borders the dramatic. You have your style, let me see.

This scene could be the meting with your contact, a short fight, a conversation with another person from your history. The stage is yours.

About MeSince I am asking you to write all of this stuff for my game, I thought I would share a bit about myself. I have been doing RPGs now for close to 20 years and Wargames for close to 25. I love the old 40k stuff, pre-revisionist necrons, early half-eldarian space marines, etc. I have dabbled in a few other wargames over the years, but have pretty much stopped consistently playing them for the last 10 years. I still run RPGs here on the site, every Friday night live, and with my students each week.

I like to follow the rulebook, but I also like the Rule of Cool. I tend to quickly wrap up encounters once a certain point has been reached that makes the outcome inevitable to save time.

This will be my first time running Traveller as a campaign. I did a one off with my in life players last month to get the feel of the system. I am not going to claim I am some kind of rule savant or expert. If you think I got a ruling wrong, let me know but be polite about it.

I am sticking to what I have in my library which is basically what I posted as sourcebooks. I know this rule system has lots of different stuff like robots, other alien species, and so on, but I ask that you keep it to the five I listed.

Last thing, the point of this campaign is to have some fun with swashbuckling in space. Please don't make the super-character that crushes all threats I put before it and can't be harmed because it has this rule from this book and that protection from this and this gun from, that book that does this which ignores all protection. They aren't very fun to DM, they aren't fun to interact with, and they aren't fun for the rest of the group. If we end up with such a thing, I will write that you slip on the way out of the shower one morning and your uber-DEATH character dies to hitting their head and move on.

Campaign FormatThis campaign will have the following format

Intro Adventure- We will call it Proving Your Worth. This is basically your trial run to prove you have what it takes to do this.

Free Adventures- Some of these will be episodic where we might skip days or weeks or months at a time. Some will be roleplayed out. Some will be like a normal adventure. PbP moves slower naturally. For a massive campaign like this that might mean it takes years or a decade. I want to see stuff happen.

9 Published adventures- These are important event inside the campaign itself. Treasure fleet raid, political intervention, etc.

The Final adventure- Based on how well you did the other ones, this will determine if you succeeded or if you crashed and burned.

Player QuestionsI think that covers all I have to say. If you have questions, I will repost them here for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

1) What are your posting expectations?
2) Are you looking for people to do character gen before completing an application? My experience of Traveller is that its pretty impossible to design a particular character from the outset, you get what character gen gives you. To be honest, that's one of the joys of the system. Answering some of the questions in the application suggests we will have done character gen already.
1. 2 to 3 times a week, more for combat

2. There is now a dice rolling thread opened up. You may also create your own dice rolling and character gen thread if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflier View Post
Is there a deadline?
Maybe a month. I will see how much interest there is.

Quote:
Anybody know if the '22 update is radically different from the previous version? I an pick up tweaks as we go along, but is there anything major different in character generation I should be aware of?
I do not know as I don't have the previous edition to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway502 View Post
I also don't have the referenced source books ("central supply", etc.), and I don't know whether that excludes me as a result or not.
You don't need any of the books listed besides the core book. You can probably get by at bare minimum with the Explorer edition, you will only have Scout and Scientist creation rules. I do recommend getting the core but the other 3 books have additional weapons, armor, gear, etc. in them if you wanted to use it and are optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway502 View Post
Is the Traveller SRD acceptable? Though I note that there it says "Requires the use of the Traveller(TM) Main Rulebook, available from Mongoose Publishing." All these different Traveller versions are a pain in the wotsit
I don't believe so. I scrolled through it and it looks incomplete. I think it has enough information to cover making a scout, but that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCannibal View Post
I have never played Traveller before or read a single book about it (truly, all I know is that it is D20 sci-fi), but I love empire buinding games...

If I decide to apply, I will research into the system and the setting, but, first, I think I should ask: should I, even with zero experience in the system?

If so, what online resources are there?
The system itself is mechanically very simple. 2d6+mods vs target number (usually 8).

Character creation is extremely involved and is almost a mini-game in and of itself but follows the same above format for checks and random tables to level skills.

Online resources are out there. I will be using Traveller Map which some brave group of souls has plotted the entire traveller universe into an online searchable map. There are probably online character creators and the like out there as well.

For books, at bare minimum you could make it work with Traveller Expedition which I believe costs a dollar. It has rules for Scouts and Scientists. It will limit what you can make, but it works to get introduced.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Aug 30th, 2023 at 10:35 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Claiming First Spot for table.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Feel free to quote this post for the formatting of character applications.

Character ApplicationName:

Motivation:Why are you traveling to try and become a Privateer for King Oleb ? You are going to be committing dark deeds on his behalf, so what motivates you to do so? Money, Power, Carnal Desires, Something Else?

Personality: What are you like? Easy Going? Cold and Serious? Flirty?

Description: Everyone looks like something. I need written text here, but a picture is always pretty good.

History: Why would the King choose you? What makes you stand out? Are you an experienced Fleet Captain? Did you participate in an invasion? Did you make the Kessel Run in under 7 Parsecs? What makes you important?

I don't need a life story. I don't need to know about your parents, or how many siblings you have, or why you went from this career to that career. Just give me the highlights. Elevator pitch it to me.

Contact: Everyone will get one "free" contact regardless of how many others you end up with during creation you get one. This will be the person who told you about the job. Who made contact with you as word got out that the King was looking for a group of privateers.

How do you know each other? Why did they call you? What is their job? How did they find out?

Final Part: Give me a short example of your posting style. I like to describe my characters short and sweet. I am not a wordsmith and I don't write with 1,000 words in each post with a flair that borders the dramatic. You have your style, let me see.

This scene could be the meting with your contact, a short fight, a conversation with another person from your history. The stage is yours.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Aug 27th, 2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 632
Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502
Traveller! Finally! I've been aware of this place for a few weeks but waited to sign up until someone asked for Traveller players

Being new though, I have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymconeshot View Post
Characters and Expectations and OtherWell I hope the above was tempting enough to get you to apply. The short and sweet version of it is that I wish to run the Pirates of Drinax campaign from Mongoose Publishing. I am looking for 6 Travellers to join this campaign. We will be using the current edition Update 2022 etc. from the Traveller website.
I don't have the current rules. I do have a copy of the Mongoose rules that might be from 2019, but the copyright date is 2008 so the 2019 might just be the year I downloaded the PDF. I'm guessing what I have is what they consider to be the "1st edition". Hmm. I guess my memories of playing Traveller in the 70s and 80s are just figments of my imagination then

Would the SRD be okay to use for character generation? https://www.traveller-srd.com/

Quote:
Character Creation- Please DO NOT roll in this thread. When I get approval and a game folder, I will create a character creation thread for you to throw all of the rolls in.
Have you done that yet?

Quote:
PLEASE USE THE DICE WITH TAG ROLLER FOR CHARACTER CREATION.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I imagine I can figure it out.

Quote:
Sourcebooks- Core book, Central Supply, Field Supply, and Glorious Empire.
Ah. I don't have any of those. Does that exclude me?

I'd have asked this stuff by PM, but I'm not allowed to do that until I've got some posts under my belt. Sorry.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 05:01 PM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26679
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Sorely tempted Mighty - I was all lined up to play Drinax a while back, but the game never got off the ground. Loved the set up and would love to see how it plays out.

I do have a couple of questions ...

1) What are your posting expectations?
2) Are you looking for people to do character gen before completing an application? My experience of Traveller is that its pretty impossible to design a particular character from the outset, you get what character gen gives you. To be honest, that's one of the joys of the system. Answering some of the questions in the application suggests we will have done character gen already.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
2 to 3 times a week. More when we run combat.

I was planning on character generation than application. When I get game approval, I will make a dice thread for you to roll in.

I also forgot to add a homebrew rule that I will be using where if you fail the survival check for a career, you make a second one. If you fail that as well, you die otherwise you roll the injury as normal.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Aug 28th, 2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 05:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15719
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Well, I guess it's a good thing I haven't started going through the campaign-related books from the Humble Bundle yet. I don't know Traveller well, this would be my third game on the site, but I will definitely put in an application. Is there a deadline?

Time to find that flowchart...
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4391
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
id love to bang out a zhodani psi warrior for this!
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Umm a month? Maybe less? Maybe more? I will gage how much interest there is and adjust accordingly.

Well you are welcome to apply Hotshot, but I do ask you keep to the 5 books I listed. I am going to have enough to learn from those I don't need to add more.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Aug 27th, 2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4391
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
zhodani backstory and such
Name: siobhan aleksandr fyodorovich

Motivation: siobhan is a high functioning sociopath with a love of combat and the sweet feel of splattered blood against her face.

Personality: siobhan is very mercurial. one minute she can be flirting with a man, and the next, stab him thrice in the jugular in an alley and walk away, whistling a jaunty marching tune

Description:

siobhan is pretty, but in a dont stick your unmentionables in crazy sort of way. shes patient, and is perfectly happy to wait for someone to return home to shank them in the kidneys and leave them for their chillins to find

History: siobhan is well-versed in many arts of murder, from up close and personal with a knife (her fave) to other, less personal methods, like popping a blood vessel in someones brain psionicallly or injecting them with nutrient paste to cause an air embolism. she was known as the haunter in the dark during the zhodani invasion of vidaris VI

imagine a faceless assassin who could be anywhere or anyone. now imagine if she was a high functioning psychic sociopath with no moral compass, and a devil with a blade to boot. she will find you, and she will kill you. run or hide, it doesnt matter, as she will torture your friends, lovers, and family to get intel on you. nothing is too low to get intel on her target

preacher: my handler and mentor in the invasion and pacification of the vidaris system. siobhan was getting twitchy at the zhodani consulate, and preacher decided to move her to indepedent operations in the drinax sector.

This scene could be the meeting with your contact, a short fight, a conversation with another person from your history. The stage is yours

siobhan waits, like a cat waiting for a mouse, dagger clenched between her teeth as she hangs outside a corpos penthouse apartment. the corpo and his bodyguard enter, the heavy gene modded guard scanning the rooms. siobhan concentrates, and takes over the bodyguard, riddling the corpo with bullets and then putting one into his brainpan for good measure. the guard snaps out of it, and then feels the dripping of blood out of his nostril. the guard collapses with an aneurysm, adding to the bodycount. siobhan sheathes the dagger, and rappels down to ground level, disappearing into the crowd of people

Last edited by Hotshot lasgun; Aug 27th, 2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Dice Roller is up! Don't forget to use the dice roller with tag. I also posted the homebrew rule under the link.

If you fail the survival check for a character, roll again. A second failure means the character dies otherwise it is rolled as an injury as normal.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Aug 28th, 2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 11:38 AM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1061
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Just having an interest marker and I'll have a look at the core book!
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 12:08 PM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26679
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Anybody know if the '22 update is radically different from the previous version? I an pick up tweaks as we go along, but is there anything major different in character generation I should be aware of?

For those coming to this later - google consensus seems to be there are not substantial changes to rules. More correcting errors and making the book more usable. Apparently there are changes to ship design and income for passage, but it feels safe to use the old book for character generation I hope.

Last edited by Jon; Aug 29th, 2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 632
Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502 Gateway502
Quote:
I'd like to know this too. I asked yesterday but my post went for moderation and never actually appeared

I also don't have the referenced source books ("central supply", etc.), and I don't know whether that excludes me as a result or not.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1860
OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt
I rolled some pretty damn good starting attributes.

Now to figure out what to do with them, and in which direction to go.