RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 10th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1103
Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire
Call of a Desperate Queen

The BeginningD&D 3.5 Call of a Desperate Queen
As you approach the town of Afon on the north banks of the Swiftrun River it looks about as you imagined it; a small point of civilization nestled in with the last of the hills coming down from the north. The town is small just barely small enough not to be a city, but large enough that it can't be ignored and it is growing fast.

The only blotch on this picturesque view is the broken and recently burned castle a few miles north east of the little town. Recently destroyed, the burnt castle remains are easy to spot. The burning of the castle still is the subject of conversation for hundreds of miles. It was the focus of fury for a dangerous group; The Hellblades.

Rumors fly about the Hellblades already. The rumors vary, some say they are giants, some men who cast spell to make themselves giants. Others have yet more sinister ideas. What doesn't vary in each rumor? Fear. The Hellblades have evaded a large army, captured a national tribute, destroyed a small army, murdered a noble family, burned down a castle and terrorized hundreds of miles. Now the City of Afon now reports the Hellblades are on their doorstep.

As you think about it, you are again reminded of what Afon represents; Opportunity. The Queen has literally offered the town, the surrounding lands, and Nobility to anyone who can stop the Hellblades.

So here you stand at the entrance to the town, what could soon be your town.

Upon entering the town you see the usual run of townspeople. Farmers, shopkeepers, blacksmiths; they are all here. They smile and go about their business with fear behind their eyes.

There are others here too. By the ones and twos, sometimes up to a half dozen at a time. Looking somewhat out of place among the peaceful townsfolk they wander through town about their business. They carry various armaments and things stranger still, some more dangerous than others. It seems you are not the first heroes to arrive.

Posted in the town square is the official Queen's notice along with a few local notices

*PLEASE NOTE*
These bad guys are made by standard rules but have been significantly optimized. I HIGHLY suggest an optimized PC. As people disagree about optimized I will give an idea here.
For example: If you want to go 'toe-to-toe' (Fighters, Paladins, etc.) I recommend AC of at least 40. The bad guys can hit AC 40 without a 20; without buffing. Damage usually will be over 30 per hit (easily); again without buffing or even possible feat usage. Just be aware.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SandsofFateCampaignSettingPlayersGuide 9-10-23.pdf (87.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf DD35HouseRulesRevised 9-10-23.pdf (59.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Dieuoffire; Sep 10th, 2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 07:57 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10274
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
I will watch this game with interest. I am always into a difficult 3.5e game, unfortunately with work and grad school I cannot post more than once or twice a week.

I would have gone with Abj Champion and the silly AC you can get with that.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88009
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
placeholder:
Sussuri Magna (Suss, or Whisper)
Silverbrow Human/Half Fey
Divine-Savage Bard (7)/Lyric Thaumaturge (4)
Summoner. Buffer. Bandage/Flanker.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=93417

Sussuri grew up in his village knowing he had been marked as special. His silver hair and vestigial scaled wings identified him as chosen among the others, a rare visible descendent of Ba’althico, the great silver dragon, protector of the vale and grove of the One People. Ba’althico had not been seen for centuries, almost ten of them, but his lineage still occasionally sprouted in the vale, destined for greatness. Unlike almost all the previous dragonborn, however, Sussuri’s path was different. While almost all of his precedents had gone into the grove, and become members of the One People, Suss found his destiny altered by a childhood accident. One spring, during a sudden thunderstorm, the bank he and several other children had been standing on to watch the creek rise and swell gave out underneath. The loss of footing dumped all four of his companions into the rapidly flowing water, and he was swept along with them down a suddenly raging stream. He was stopped a quarter league downstream when he managed to grab an overhanging tree trunk, and pull himself slightly from the water. He and a friend clung to this refuge for only a few moments, before a log, racing down the stream, slammed into his head, and knocked him unconscious. The log bounced off his head several times before dislodging, and floating downstream, to wreak havoc elsewhere, but not before it had left a permanent change to Sussuri’s life.

After he and his friends were rescued, Suss recovered from the physical bruises. Headache, vertigo and dizziness troubled him for months, but eventually his blurry vision mostly cleared, and the frequent headaches disappeared. It was feared that he might suffer from memory loss or amnesia, but those issues did not manifest, or not directly. His memory of that day was perfect, his memory of his past was fine, with one inescapable aberration: Suss could no longer read simple text. He had never been the most studious child, but prior to the accident, he had been learned enough to read texts and scrolls, and could peruse the few books the traveling tinkers or One People brought to the village. He could read the words in the botanical guides and almanacs the farmers used, and could easily peruse the words displayed in the markets and stalls by the tradesmen and vendors of the village. But after the springtime flood event, he could no longer read. Lines and characters meant little to nothing to him, and they wavered and wandered on the pages or boards, and left him confused. The more he tried to decipher them, the worse his headaches became. Finally, it was simply accepted that he could not read, and would not read, again.

And that, it appeared, altered his path to destiny. One People were learned folks, avid historians, naturalists and militant grove protectors. And while he did study with them, he had to learn their spells more instinctively, through prayer and ritual, rather than text and scroll. While the One People tended to think in longer terms, Sussuri was more impulsive, and impetuous. Where they excelled in sharing their history in texts and books, Sussuri had to learn the same through memory, becoming a natural orator and story-teller. Histories were carefully committed to odes, ballads and songs, to be repeated ad infinitum to others.
While the protectors were learning how to literally become the animals they protected, Suss learned to befriend them, empower them, and eventually, excelled at summoning them and changing them. Because he had more affinity to the flora of the grove than the fauna, he was taught the ancient secrets of combining the two worlds into one, as well as summoning the forces of nature itself, the elements of creation.

Sussuri's path diverged. Instead of staying in the vale, or braving forth in expeditions of learning and discovery, Sussuri was sent out of the vale, to share and learn. He wandered, telling tales of his people and their special place, and memorizing the words, and worlds, of the people he encountered. He traveled under the guise of a Tinker, a Mender, a teller of tales, following the circuits of spring fairs and summer celebrations, fall festivals and winter retreats. Always ready with news and stories, he could fill any evening with talk of the world, fables and storied histories.

And so it was, he came upon Afon, after hearing about the disfamed Hellblades. Afon, it seemed, was rumored to be preparing a plan to do something about the rogue group, and Sussuri was interested in what that might be. The Hellblades, at the moment, were not a threat to the Vale, but left unchecked, they could become one. Anything with that much power, rage and evil could become worrisome, so Sussuri wandered into Afon, in search of information.

It was there that he heard about the offer. He did not need to read the posting, he had learned long ago that people loved to talk, and demonstrate their knowledge, so he simply waited on the fringes of the crowd, and inquired as to the words. The offer of nobility did not appeal to him, personally... giving up the life of an itinerant minstrel for the mundane drudgery and responsibility of nobility, however minor, evoked zero interest in him. But, perhaps, it could be parlayed into some type of guarantee for the vale, or a treaty of some purport.

He would see. Counting chickens was a fools game, and he would be a fool to do the same, before having brought the Hellblades to heed. There would be time enough to barter, if the task were completed.

Old Sep 10th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17711
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Will do some reading later. Interested, but it’s been a while since I dusted off the old pdfs.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 10:21 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 344
droobles droobles droobles droobles
Iaijutsu master is not in the pdf, is it banned?

Can someone unable to be caught flat footed be treated as flat footed? (They keep their dex and whatnot, but allow abilities that depend on FF to work), there skill tricks and ToB maneuvers that use such language.

How about item familiar and bloodlines?

Flaws, traits?

Last edited by droobles; Sep 10th, 2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 11:21 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8220
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Posting Interest! I will need to get my creative juices flowing. I don't see a ban so I assume Dreamscarred Press is in play? I also assume that Psion is Tier 1?

Application for Bertio
left-aligned image

Name: Bertio the Betrayed "Bertio" or "Professor Bertio" or "Master Bertio" any of these are acceptable to him.

Race: Elan (spellwarped)

Class: Dual Discipline Psion

Role: Blaster/Mystic (Some utility, w/knowledge, been there done that)

Personality: Bertio is reserved but not quiet. He will say some of what he thinks but he keeps his true motivations to himself. He is trustworthy and honest, sometimes brutally honest to a fault. Not to be cruel but his mouth speaks at times before he thinks through all of the repercussions. He was abused at a young age but he chose to put it behind him or at least he tries to put it behind him. He is slow to trust strangers but he tries to be open minded. He tries to be friendly and amiable but his sense of humor is confounding to most people. If Bertio calls them friend, to him they are as good as family. The man does have a temper but it usually takes a lot to set him off. Seeing an innocent held in chains or someone being bullied will likely do the job. He is not a fighter but he will fight if he is forced into it by someone. He really dislikes confrontations of any sort but being a pragmatist he knows that it is part of life and interactions of peoples. He is very uncomfortable around most wizards.

Background Bullet Points:
  • Created about 140 years ago.
  • Captured in his first week of rebirth and imprisoned. (Red wizards?)
  • Magical experiments were done on him for nearly ten years of his captivity.
  • His escape was due to a mishap that destroyed the lab were he was held.
  • He'd heard the mages speaking of "Godsand" before the accident that freed him.
  • What had been done to him had somehow saved him from the destruction of the volatile sands.
  • Worked to become a scholar over the next twenty years. (main interests are "Godsands")
  • Keen interest in "Godsands" sent him in search of knowledge wherever he could find it. (travels frequently)
  • Visited every library and magical school he was able to locate over the next sixty years.
  • Has traveled all across these lands. Northwood to Havenwood to Poisonwood to the sands of the Cascade.
  • Began to follow the dogma of Ren, The Wanderer as he searched for knowledge.
  • Worked as a teacher or private tutor or sometimes in an advisory position to local politicians or nobles.
  • May have tutored the queen's father as a youth and took a liking to him. (we can discuss this aspect if you like.)
  • Constantly on the lookout for hints or rumors of "Godsands" but he had heard of the proclamation of the Queen and decided to see if he could help the daughter of his old friend.
  • Bertio had heard rumors of these Hellblades and knew that they were bad news. Perhaps his seer abilities would be able to see into their machinations.

Other things to consider; I've been on this site almost from the beginning. I'm a dedicated player. This is my escape from the world of adulting. I just turned 60 this past summer. I played 1e in high school. Loved it every since.

Thanks for your consideration!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bertio.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	100735  

Last edited by ricktur63; Sep 24th, 2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 12:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 344
droobles droobles droobles droobles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktur63 View Post
Posting Interest! I will need to get my creative juices flowing. I don't see a ban so I assume Dreamscarred Press is in play? I also assume that Psion is Tier 1?

Rick

@Droobles Realms Help has lots of 3.5 information if it's needed.
My questions are more about if those items are allowed and how they are treated.

Bloodlines specially has some ambiguous parts.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 12:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 596
Remorazz Remorazz Remorazz Remorazz Remorazz Remorazz
Uhhhh!!!

PLaceholder for a Human Master of Many Forms (Druid)
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 01:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire Dieuoffire
Quote:
Originally Posted by droobles View Post
Iaijutsu master is not in the pdf, is it banned?

Can someone unable to be caught flat footed be treated as flat footed? (They keep their dex and whatnot, but allow abilities that depend on FF to work), there skill tricks and ToB maneuvers that use such language.

How about item familiar and bloodlines?

Flaws, traits?
Iaijutsu master is allowed. I think it is Tier 4.

As a general rule if someone is not flat footed, then they are not. One of the benefits of not being subject to a condition is that things dependent upon that condition don't work. IF something specifies hat you can treat someone as flat footed even if they are not, well specific beats general rule. But it would have to say it outright, not just "they are flat footed."

bloodlines and Item familiar can both be abused a lot.
Item familiar: I would prefer something much less complicated for the item (maybe ancestral relic?).
Bloodlines : *sigh* I will allow them but I treat them as levels Class levels of "bloodline" do not increase a character's character level the way a normal class level does, but they do provide certain benefits (see below). to me means that they are class levels but you do not get the normal benefits of a class level, not that they are not a level. So a character with 2 level of sorcerer and one level of bloodline is a level 3 character.

Traits and flaws are both allowed (2 each). In the setting it lists some traits are common in some regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktur63 View Post

Rick

@Droobles Realms Help has lots of 3.5 information if it's needed.
Dreamscarred press ultimate psionics is for pathfinder not 3.5. The difference is subtle but significant (as PF Characters tend to be more powerful) What do you want from it? I might just allow it anyway as the two system are very close.

Psion is T2. Psion is on my list in the house-rules.

Last edited by Dieuoffire; Sep 11th, 2023 at 01:34 AM.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 02:35 AM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3649
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Unseen Seer could be fun. Interested.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 05:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6964
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Would there be any difficulties in a Dread Necromancer character pitching up?

Also, are the events of this game running concurrent with the other Sands game?
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 08:32 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6964
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Theo Verlord

Race: Human

Class: Dread Necromancer 12

Description: On first glance, Theo looks as though somebody left a corpse to dry out in the desert winds and then wrapped it up in a heavy robe. A second glance reveals that the "body" is actually breathing and his eyes are blinking, albeit slowly. Beneath the robes is an emaciated figure, but slightly stronger than it appears, with numerous scars from deep wounds that have obviously been made some time ago. His hair is prematurely pure white, and his eyes are a dull yellow, that occasionally glows with arcane energy. Whenever he feels like keeping a low (or at least non-threatening) profile he uses his Hat of Disguise to make himself appear as a young and handsome Sorcerer wearing bright blue robes, a purple hat, and an orange sash around his waist.

Personality: Strangely calm and fatalistic, he knows that all life ends, but he is making plans to avoid that fate! Is somewhat fed up of being treated as a criminal and living off the "scraps" of the civilised parts of the world, he believes that Necromancers should have a seat at the table with the rest of the Great and the Powerful, but unlike some of his ilk he prefers to use strong-arm tactics to gain concessions rather than to prove that they can work together, though (ironically and hypocritically) looks down on Broken men for the fact that they cannot be trusted to work together! Theo never really had the chance to be Good. He spent his early life being crapped on by almost everyone he met, and those few that didn't invariably died on him. The power that lifted him out of the gutter almost killed him, and so-called "good" people have wanted to kill him when they realised what his power was.
Being lectured at would either amuse him or bore him depending on his mood, threatening him with "convert or die" would likely result in*somebody*dying, and being shown compassion would startle him as well as make him initially suspicious due to his past experiences, but it is the likeliest way that he might be eventually led down the path of redemption.

Background:
left-aligned image
Theo was born in a simple shack in Cascade, in one of Erindel's slum districts where he would spend his early years with his sickly single mother, his father having disappeared before his birth.
During the winter of his 8th year, Theo's mother caught a fever from which she never recovered. She was buried in a pauper's grave and Theo was kicked out onto the streets. After being made homeless and (even more) destitute. He fell in with a gang of urchins, reprobates and ne’er-do-wells, who were more than happy to induct a new member into their little gang of pickpockets.

right-aligned image
This little gang were run by an ex stage-magician called Fayghein, who was secretly a Necromancer that had implanted his young charges (and others) with Necrotic Cysts without them knowing. He used them to spy on (or occasionally explode over) his enemies. Eventually, the Necromancer was defeated by Adventurers, however the Cysts remained in the implantees that still lived, in most cases they had little to no effect on their host's lives, but in Theo's case it triggered the development of hitherto unknown magical ability. He never quite found out why he was the only one so affected, perhaps it was related to some lingering magical emanations still present in Fayghein's safe house that Theo had decided to lay claim to on the Necromancer's death. The magic looked to be draining the very life from Theo, seeming to physically age him by decades in a matter of mere weeks, and clearly affected his mind for he seemed to be having one-sided discussions with thin air, though he kept claiming that he was talking to people known to have died to Fayghein's machinations.

left-aligned image
He disappeared from Cascade shortly afterward, never to return, nobody knows where he went but he was last seen being led away by a mysterious, cloaked figure.

Theo Verlord (or at least somebody who answers to that name) has been spotted many times over the years throughout Arenna, sometimes leading mercenary armies for the highest bidder, and at other times thought to be at the very heart of various conspiracies, though in either case he is invariably surrounded by the Undead, both walking corpses and restless spirits. One of those last was a victim of Fayghein, and seemed to be little more than the manifestation of terror felt by the victim of Dark Magic given form, and so was merely bound to Theo's service, but appears to be somewhat grateful to it's Master for it. Theo calls this spirit This is his Ghostly Visage FamiliarBoo!

After many years of wandering on the edges of civilisation, Theo happened to wander through a border town along the Swiftrun River when a Town Crier made his announcement. Theo usually listened to those as amongst their usual banality they held occasional nuggets of valuable information, of which Bounty postings were his personal favourite (despite the fact that he occasionally found himself on them!) This was, again, a Bounty, which was enough to grab Theo's attention, but what really piqued his interest was that the Bounty had been placed by none other than Queen Eilonwy herself!
This elicited a brief laugh from Theo, a laugh to which the term "maniacal" could be ascribed, as he considered the Queens obvious desperation.
A guardsman who had at the time been making his way over towards Theo to ask him his business suddenly changed his mind and went for an early lunch instead!
Ducking behind a building, he touches the brim of his hat and his appearance changes to that of a handsome young man in colourful ( some might say garish) robes.

Hmm, that should fool them long enough for me to prove they need me! He rubs his hands together gleefully. Right! Time to see just how desperate the Queen really is!

Last edited by triedtherest; Dec 11th, 2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yes Triedtherest. So you can't have two of Corvus. LOL.
(Don't worry, that game will level faster soon.)
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4551
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Quote:
Yes Triedtherest. So you can't have two of Corvus. LOL.
(Don't worry, that game will level faster soon.)
ah you beat me to saying that. Did I read right that Homebrewed allowed per your approval
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8220
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieuoffire View Post
Dreamscarred press ultimate psionics is for pathfinder not 3.5. The difference is subtle but significant (as PF Characters tend to be more powerful) What do you want from it? I might just allow it anyway as the two system are very close.

Psion is T2. Psion is on my list in the house-rules.
The PF version has other options and it may be slightly more powerful but not by very much. I was speaking of the 3.5 version but if you’ll allow the PF version then I may go with that because of the small tweak in power. I’m not a power gamer or build specialist. So I am open to suggestions. I’m thinking of a Seer but for some reason I think I should go blaster.

Let me look at the dual discipline again. I never cared for it for some reason.

Again, suggestions are welcome.

Rick

EDIT AGAIN: Okay!! So if you will allow the Dual Discipline I will go that route. Primary Psychokinesis w/Unseen Hand and Clairsentience w/Insight. I will get started putting my character together.

Last edited by ricktur63; Sep 24th, 2023 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Posted from my phone....