User Statistics
RPXP: 8825
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Crit Happens

Game NameCrit Happens
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemePlayer driven adventure

Flavourplayer driven adventure, improvisation, no railroading
Plot SummaryOn the continent the rulers of men, elves, and dwarves have come together to form the Empire; a powerful nation surrounded by rivals. To the north, nightmarish horrors hunt the shadowlands ruled over by the vampire counts in Nortenard. To the west, prehistoric lizards live in the lush jungles ruled by the saurians in Lustria. To the east, hidden behind the mountain range known as the spine, a vast desert hides vast ancient ruins containing treasures guarded by traps and the mummy lords of Nekara. The southwest swarms with endless rat men and beast men of Horron. And the southeast peninsula holds the strongholds of the greenskins of Uradoh; orcs and goblins always eager for war.

You are an adventurer, a mercenary living in the empire currently guarding a caravan as it makes its way to the city of jukes. Where things go from there is up to you because this game’s story is going to be determined by your choices and backstories. That’s right, this is your story. So let's have fun.

I am looking for 6-8 level 1 adventurers. Accepted sources are players handbook, xanathar, tasha, eberon, grimm hollow, van rictons guide, volos guide, deep magic vol 1 and 2, humblewood

after making an application feel free to join the pregame roleplay thread where your characters can interact and you can get a feel for their voice. you can find it here.

Application
Name
Race
Class

In secret textPersonality traits 2
Ideal
Bond
Flaw
Back story. This is what I will use to make quests in the game so give me something to work with. feel free to make up your own city, racial customs, organizations, gods, or factions and I’ll make them canon.
Five people you know. They can be friends, family, or enemies.
Character’s goal. What does your character want to achieve?

What do the other characters know about you? You’ve been traveling together for a week. Surely you shared something.

Deadline 2 20
PlayerCharacterraceclass
Mitsubachi SaefynaWood elfCleric – Life Domain
delpinatorsergor dotsknorthranger
Seekr34 Stefan UsherDhampirRogue
Xand Sir Emeric de BastonneHuman (Variant)Paladin
GleefulNihilismChanceTieflingSorcerer (Wild Magic)
Fatgunn IxenLizardfolkMonk (Sun Soul)
tordon Grumash DemarraHalf-orc Barbarian
The Rat QueenEllywick SeheppenRock GnomeArtificier

Last edited by Togot; Feb 10th, 2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 05:28 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6870
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
EDIT: I've whittled it down to either cleric or a paladin. So I'm posting the cleric. However, I might switch to paladin if team dynamics makes this more useful!

The Priestess of Rallathil
right-aligned image

Name: Saefyna, Priestess of Rallathil
Race: Wood elf
Class: Cleric – Life Domain
Background: Hermit
Alignment: Lawful Good

Personality Trait 1: I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Personality Trait 2: I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
Ideal: Greater Good: My gifts are meant to be shared.
Bond: I was in seclusion to hide from the ones who are still hunting me. I must someday confront them.
Flaw: I would risk too much to uncover a lost bit of knowledge.

Five people Known: Lothar Kremmler (an evil necromancer and her nemesis), Mathaus Grüber (a monstrous vampire that hunts her), (only if delpinator agrees, of course!)Sergor Dotsk (a human ranger from the north), Sir Emeric de Bastonne (a young but brave knight)
What do I want to achieve: To rid the world of Kremmler's evil
What do the others know about me: Though Saefyna usually remains serene and somewhat aloof, speaking little about herself and not joining any of the rowdy drinking games, those that have been paying attention on the journey will know two things...

First, from her stern glares and cold silence, they will know she has little tolerance for those with "questionable morals", and is certainly not someone to invite on any kind of heist or other illicit activities. Secondly, from the intensity of her prayers and long periods spent searching the horizons as they travel, a watcher may figure out that Saefyna is driven by some greater purpose than earning a few coins to guard a caravan...

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 14th, 2024 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Spells chosen
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 05:37 AM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
i'm going for total freedom here. but be aware that if you are alone it increases your chances of death
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 05:58 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4382
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
name: sergor dotsk "defender of the North".
race: human
class: ranger

Last edited by delpinator; Feb 9th, 2024 at 03:51 AM.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 10:38 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 712
Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm Ghrimm
Posting interest. What stat generation method are you going with?
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6870
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togot View Post
i'm going for total freedom here. but be aware that if you are alone it increases your chances of death
That's cool and fully understood, if there's no danger there's no fun.

So... opening character proposal is now posted!
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 01:49 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2221
Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol
Withdrawn

Last edited by Vaynol; Feb 6th, 2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 03:03 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Grimm, stats will be 2d6+6 but if you don't like your rolls you can do point buy instead
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 04:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6623
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Stefan Usher
Race: Dhampir
Class: Rogue
Personality: Easy going, gets along well with others. He’s always alert, not wanting to miss anything. Even though he has the mentality of a thief, he has a good heart, helping the street urchins when he can. His top two vices are money and women.
Appearance: He stands 6’ tall, medium built, a bit on the slender side. Brown hair down to his shoulders with matching goatee. His green eyes go well with his tanned skin. Dressed in black and purple, he seems to blend in the busy streets, easily disappearing within the people and the buildings. Dressed in leather armor, he is armed with a sword sheathed at each his left hip, a bow at his back, and a dagger sheathe at each thigh.
right-aligned image

What do the other characters know about you?: They would noticed that he moves slightly faster than others. One morning they found him not breathing and he woke up from the commotion and he quickly told them he was able to slow his breathing way down. After traveling, it had become a habit for him. Also that he is the quiet sort, not easily rattled.

Last edited by Seekr34; Feb 6th, 2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 05:21 PM
Dungeon Delver

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 893
Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k Lunawolf30k
I'm very interested in this game. What posting rate are you going for? With my schedule, I can only post about twice a week. I'll submit an application if that works for you.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 07:12 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
at least 1 post per week, but i can post everyday so the players will set the pace
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 10:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6623
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
My app is done.
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 11:40 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 244
Xand Xand Xand
I know you didn't explicitly say so, but I'm going to assume by the names of the regions and races that Warhammer references are welcome. lol

Let me know if I need to tweak anything!

ApplicationName: Sir Emeric de Bastonne

Race: Human (Variant)

Class: Paladin (LG)

Personality Traits 1: No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses.

Personality Trait 2: The common folk love me for my kindness and generosity.

Ideal: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.

Bond:The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.

Flaw:I have an insatiable desire for carnal pleasures.

Back story: Emeric was born to Duke Bohemond Beastslayer just over eighteen years ago. Raised on stories of courage and devotion, Emeric knew from a young age it was his destiny to follow in his father's footsteps and become one of the legendary grail knights.

He enjoyed a life of privilege, education, and relative peace growing up. Though he idolized his father, he spent a great deal of time away from him as he went off on his beastmen hunting raids. Still, the aspiring knight always looked for a chance to prove himself. A kind word here, an offer of aid where he could. It was his duty to look after the common folk and he did his best in his father's absence.

Now of adventuring age in his father's eyes, Emeric has left Castle Bastonne seeking to make a name for himself. The Jukes caravan is the humble beginning of his grand odyssey, and he's always looking for greater beasts to slay and lives to save.

Five people you know 1: Duke Bohemond Beastslayer- Emeric's father and the Duke of Bastonne, a region of peaceful prosperity within the Empire thanks directly to it's duke's many military campaigns. He frequently leaves his home on campaigns for the empire, and happily seeks out the beastmen for slaughter before all others. Off the battlefield, he's a vision of chivalry and valor. Though largely absent from Emeric's childhood, he's still an idol to his children and well aware of how they look up to him.

Five people you know 2: Professor Amakyr Alvinshem- The High Elven tutor that taught Emeric about history and rhetoric. Patient beyond Emeric's understanding, the elf had no issues teaching a rambunctious human child as part of an agreement with the Duke himself. The professor prefers a strictly professional relationship with his pupils.

Five people you know 3: Whiskers (Grendel Foehammer)- The dwarven armorer of Castle Bastonne. Where Amakyr taught Emeric the history of the land, Whiskers taught him how to fight and put on his armor. Jovial and personable to a fault, Whiskers always made time for the Duke's son despite the nickname he received.

Five people you know 4: Lady Adeline de Bordeleoux- The Lady Emeric has been arranged to marry upon his return from his adventures. Fairest and most compassionate of all the ladies of the land, Emeric is still actively avoiding her. He isn't ready to settle down, and avoids Bordeleoux and Lady Adeline as best as he is able. She is mostly unaware of this, and anxiously awaits the return of the newest hero of Bastonne so they may be betrothed.

Five people you know 5: Sir Benoit de Bastonne- Emeric's younger brother and best friend. Raised together within the walls of Castle Bastonne, they were inseparable growing up despite wildly different outlooks on life. Far more aloof than his brother, Benoit is happy to enjoy the position of nobility without going out to earn it. They butt heads from time to time, but remain close and supportive of each other.

Character’s goal: To become a grail knight and write his name in the history books as the greatest of their number.

What do other people know about Emeric: He's the son of Duke Bohemond, and doesn't seem to have gotten out much before this adventure. He has stories of the different historical sites he wants to visit and the people and food he wants to see, but doesn't seem to have any actual experience outside of Castle Bastonne. He avoids any discussions of Bordeleoux and relationships though, not stating any reasons for doing so other than privacy.

Other than that he's an open book, and fairly talkative at that. He's probably mentioned everyone above except Lady Adeline, as well as his desire to join the Grail Knights. He does his best to maintain his appearance and practices the same politeness one would expect of the nobility of Bretonnia.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 01:04 AM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29971
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Apologies for not using secret text, but some ideas are ticking.

Chance
Destiny's Wildcard
right-aligned image

Name: Chance
Race: Tiefling
Class: Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

Personality Trait 1: I'm a born gambler who can't resist taking a risk for a potential payoff.
Personality Trait 2: I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
Ideal: I am a free spirit – no one tells me what to do.
Bond: I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths with me or those I care about.
Flaw: I can't resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.

Backstory: They say that when the realm needs heroes, the Call can be heard. Maybe the Call comes by way of Faith, by Courage, or even by Fate itself. When the Realm has Need, the Call comes and Heroes answer. If that is the case, then Chance had been actively Refusing the Call for a long time. Whoever his birth parents were they rejected him, for no good reason it turned out if nobody realized that until later that while Tieflings usually have a little demonic in the bloodline, sometimes they just *happen*. As a street urchin of course he had to learn how to steal and hide his Tiefling nature to survive. When he actually got fairly good at it he noticed that occasionally he'd just get lucky with it and just found his niche instead of honing his thieving craft.

The urchin Chance never really got in with the Church Orphanage or the Thieves Guild, just never got into the dogma of either. With hindsight he can honestly think of many oppurtunities he's had to become an Adventurer and him shooting down every single one, sometimes on purpose. Chance's ideal life is one relatively stress-free and leasurely. Hearing of the mercenary guild, Chance had moved to be closer to it - because Adventurers are relatively easy marks for his cons and rigged games.

When found out you'd think people would be mad, but the magically inclined discovered something surprising. That he might have been cheating at games of chance to fleece adventurers - and sometimes he would do this by *somehow* magically influencing probability itself. Instead of being run out of town, a mysterous benefactor has paid his fees to enter the mercenary guild. It wasn't an easy sell, and he still would prefer to avoid the stress and responsibility of an adventuring life but the idea of honing his magical gifts does admittedly have some appeal.

But here's the thing about trying to Control Luck. It rarely works out for everyone involved, and sometimes Chance's attempts have - let's say interesting results. He knows he gets special attetion of the Goddess of Luck, but whether the Queen of Hexes loves him or hates him he can't tell.

"Gentleman! The game is Sword Coast Hold 'Em. No Limit, Spies and Knaves are Wild, Dueces are Dueces but you have to take a drink, and the Queen of Hexes is Watching."

Five People You Know:
Tulgan Tuskhorn - A Half-Orc Fighter that Chance has grifted a sizable amout of gold from. Actually a pretty dangerous mercenary with a gift for greatswords.
Ulric Mistsplitter - An middle-aged Human Monk and high ranking member of the Ravensport Thieves Guild. Tried to recruit Chance when he was a kid, still thinks he can.
Knock Knock - An elderly Kenku who fences for the thieves guild. Not bad with cards either.
Josselyn Chaucer - A witchhunter who believes in purification by fire. Not a fan of Wild Magic to put it nicely.
Gussalen deGrey - A cleric of Selune who ran the orphanage that tried to instill morals into Chance. Actually a nice person.

Character Goal: Gold, and Lots of It. Also figuring out the mystery of why the Queen of Hexes seems so interested in his fate, for boon or ill.

What do the other characters know about you?: The biggest things are that he's a greedy bastard even by the standards of mercenaries, he loves games of chance, and he actually has very little idea of how he got his magic. His control over his magical abilities also seems shockingly lacking.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 03:36 AM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
alright, the game has been approved and i have set up a pre-game roleplay thread where your characters can interact with each other and you can get a feel for your character's voice. you can find it here