Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 898
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Gotham City Impostors

Gotham City Impostors
This is (sort of) a carry over from this interest check

The Batman has disappeared.

In fact, all of the Bat-family has disappeared. No one knows where or why, only that it happened at least one month ago. The Gotham City Police had been tight-lipped about the eventuality, especially Commissioner Gordon, but sooner or later the news had to break.

It was inevitable - Batman gone is Batman noticed.

A dark fell over Gotham City, a deathly and eerie fog, unseen but felt by all who call the city home. The GCPD started by increasing patrols, running their officers into the ground to compensate; while the criminals began to poke and prod, getting more and more bold as a lack of bat-symbol or Dark Knight began to become the norm.

Arkham Asylum was hit six days later; in a brazen attack, Harley Quinn assaulted the institute for the criminally insane and broke out a number of high level criminals, the foremost being the Joker.

Two weeks later, Two-Face and the Penguin began a turf war, as they each tried to lay claim to portions of Gotham City north. The gangs tore up the streets, civilians in those regions were urged to stay in doors from 6 pm until 6 am, to avoid the worst of it.

Two weeks and three days later, the Riddler was captured by GCPD. It was heralded as a great success, helping to revitalize the ragged department. Commissioner Gordon used the capture as a chance to assure the citizens of Gotham City that the GCPD would continue fighting for them, to bring every escaped convict to justice and put behind bars.

Three weeks later, ACME chemicals had a break-in. There were no leads, but the suspicion was the Joker.

Three weeks and two days later, the Riddler escapes his holding cell in the GCPD. Also, several key personal items belonging to criminals of Gotham were missing; it seemed the Riddler had agreed to bust out some items. He departed leaving a riddle, per his MO.

Code:
Two people were playing chess. They both won. How is this possible?

Commissioner Gordon was forced to announce the escape, even as the news coverage promoted further acts of violence in and around Gotham City areas. The absence of the Batman and his fellow vigilantes was now evident.

Three weeks and six days later, both Two-Face and Penguin were delivered to the GCPD in chains, gagged and beaten. No one stepped up to claim the act, but the GCPD saw this is an opportunity to promote a possible return of Batman, in the hopes that similarly skilled or capable individuals would help bring some order to Gotham City.

The bat-signal was spotted more routinely.

Four weeks and one day later, Poison Ivy was brought to the GCPD in a similar way to Dent and Cobblepot. She was placed into a special holding cell, courtesy of WayneTech for the purpose. The violence and gang presence had started to stall, the GCPD were on the way to establishing some order.

Later that day, the Joker was brought in, gagged and beaten.

An absolute victory. Mayor Hamilton Hill spoke a public address, praising the individual or individuals responsible, and offered a reward for efforts. To further up morale and improve the sentiments of the people, the Mayor Hill decided to proceed with the annual Gotham Parade.

Four weeks and three days later, the Gotham Parade began at midday, all the floats and even crowds lining the streets. Whether in solidarity of the slow crawl back over the crime in Gotham City, or just to get out of their homes and feel some normalcy, there were citizens happy to run the risk - especially with the biggest threats being locked away.

Four weeks and three and half days later...

HE Happened"Hello? Helloooo? Is this thing on?"

* Taptap *

The local television sets cut off the parade coverage, as the rictus grin and familiar swath of green hair and pale skin filled the screen.
right-aligned image

"Hello, my dear Gotham City, it is yours truly - me! Hehe!"

The Joker sat on a ragged chair, hunched forward, as he spoke into the microphone and glared and squinted into the camera he was using.

"Are you enjoying your parade? Hm? Even without me having an invite to the little shindig?" the clown chuckled, even as he turned his nose up. "A shame, truly! You never once considered how MY feelings might be hurt, what with you all - all, just prancing about enjoying the floats and balloons and gifts? Well?!"

The Joker narrowed his gray eyes, even as he leaned in close and spoke in a lower tone. From this position, there was evident damage to one eye.

"Lemme guess, you're all wondering HOW, uncle Jay, how are you on live television when you should be sitting in a GCPD cell right now?" the Joker chuckled. "Well, let's just say, tricking you into thinking that cost me an arm and a leg... well, no, more like an EYE, haha! Haha-HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

The Joker motioned off screen, glaring for a moment, before the edges of Harley appeared.

"But - uh - darn it, Joker, we scanned your eye when ya came into tha slammer!"

"Oh, I KNOW, Commissioner Jimbo - I was counting on it, honestly. Lucky for me, these peepers - well, PEEPER - is all you have to ID me with, right? No fingerprints on these mittens, hehe... not now."

"So if that ain't you in the cell, who is it?!"

"I'll never tell, HAHAHA--" The maniacal laughter continued for several moments, before the Joker calmed and started to focus again. In the cell, the fake-Joker fell to the floor, dead, as blood oozed from his nose. "And neither will he. Oopsie!"

"Wait-wait, where were we? Oh, right, the parade. The oh-so-boring parade... well, never let it be said that the Joker would dare to miss sprucing up an occassion! In fact, allow me to shower you with MY gifts--" the Joker leaned back and hopped onto his chair, as he pointed a remote at the screen. "In exactly three minutes, gas I stole from ACME Labs - and combined with some special schtuff from STAR Labs - will descend over everyone at the parade..."

Joker paused.

"Actually, scratch that. Now. NOW the gas will release! And whyyy? Because I don't have my dear Batsy here to even bother with the lead up--" to which the clown pressed the button, as green gas began to permeate the streets of Gotham City where the floats progressed during the celebration. Screams and panic were instant. "--and it's been so BORING without someone - ANYONE - to try and foil my schemes... seriously, I had to do all the leg work by beating up Denty-boy and Pengy and even Ivy all by myself, just so Mayor Hill would keep the parade happening."

Joker sighed, as he flopped to the arm rest.

"I'm exhausted. I want back into my luxury suite in Arkham, but without Bats and his brood to help me with the traveling expenses, what else is a clown to do? Well... hopefully make some of my own bat-replacements! Or, ugh worse, heroes! And if that gas concoction doesn't give you a power buzz, maybe it'll give you a nice... big... SMILE. HAHAHA-HAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!"

The Joker began to laugh so hard he toppled from the chair, thumping to the ground.

"Puddin'?"

From one side, Harley peeked in and showed some concern, but quickly noticed the camera and scooted back. By that time, the Joker had climbed back to sitting.

"Anywho, STAR Labs sure had some interesting mutating pathogens. This should be fun. A real... GAS. Hopefully I'll get my new Bat from all this, at least until MY Bats comes back - TA TA, Gothamites~~!"

The Joker grins as he wiggles his fingers in a dainty wave goodbye, and the feed cut outs.

And unfortunately, you were there during the gassing of the Gotham Parade, doused with the unstable green concoction created by a mad man for the sake of finding something - or someone - to amuse him. And all that remains, once you regain consciousness and return home from the hospital, is to determine if you are you...

Or if you are now something else.

Four weeks and four days later, the city erupts into chaos. All the strides law enforcement made are rendered pointless, gangs and criminals surge over Gotham City. An emergency council is held, Commissioner Gordon and Mayor Hill reluctantly agree that, in the coming week, they will announce civilian deputization, where anyone capable or able can take part in peace keeping throughout Gotham City, including reward for capture of the most wanted criminals...

For The PlayersThe idea for the campaign is to function as episodes of a Batman series, however with the titular hero - and cohorts - missing and unaccounted for. The scenarios will be semi-open world, where presented threats or mysteries need to be looked into, and ultimately solved (whether it's a bank heist, Riddler setting up assassination clues, the Joker going on a spree, or anything in between).

There will also be some downtime, where you can handle other business or develop your hero (or anti-hero).

[ General Data ]
✧ System: M&M3e
✧ Flavor: Semi-sandbox, becoming heroes, personal ambition, villainous influence on society
✧ Theme: Batman animated series, noir, villains run amok - less campy/kooky, more gritty
✧ Players: 5 (strictly)
✧ Setting: Gotham City

[ Player Data ]
✧ Posting Rate: 1-2 /week (leaning toward 2)
✧ Self-motivation: I can provide the scenes and mysteries, but you'll need to consider the how
✧ Theater of the mind: I'm not great at maps or things, so we'll be using more imagined details and specifics - ie: vague ranges, instead of grid maps, etc.

[ Character Data ]
✧ Characters: PL 6 (to begin)
✧ Powers: All available (if unsure, ask)
✧ Other: Any questions welcome

[ Application Template ]
✧ Name:
✧ Age:
✧ Physical Description: You can include imagery of civilian and/or hero, if you want
✧ Personality:
✧ Occupation:
✧ Powerset: The set can be broad for now, no need to get detailed until approval
✧ Backstory:
✧ Contacts:
✧ Motivations: Things that make your character do what they do (can be more than 1)
✧ Complications: Things that might hinder your character doing what they do (can be more than 1)
✧ Writing Sample: This should cover your intro to the story, it could be from the Gotham Parade gassing, to how your character got away/or ended up in hospital, and some details about the week following (including emergence of powers, if any) or losses, or inspiration to do something etc - think of this as your call to action

Q&AWill this use the M&M DC RPG module? No, this will be using characters made from other source/s, but they are balanced for the cause

Where are the bat-family? We don't know - maybe we'll find out?

Does my character have to be from Gotham City? Not specifically, but you'll need a good reason to remain or want to do what's right for the place (depending on your definition)

Will there be PvP? No, this is a group game, and a group is expected; you can, however, be something of a Punisher or Red Hood type, who's more anti-hero... just be wary of the consequences once things begin to settle

Applications
Player Character Powerset Complete?
Mitsubachi Chi-Lin Shaolin Martial Arts Yes
EMIW Lenny Holtz Teleportation Yes
DrowNinjaPrincess Norbert Winchester Gadgetry Yes
Grouchy Junkyard Dog Martial Artist Yes
Mcderth Jayden Gervais Bat-powers Yes
MFCHOOM Magpie Bird-powers Yes
GleefulNihilism Nicky Greene Vibrates Yes
Iron Signet Brock Navarro Alt Form Yes
Desert Typhoon Alicia Wilkes Body Manip Yes
Boss Nadar Grace Wilson Technopathy Yes
Acathala Tom Rhodes Tech Suit Yes
PalladiaMors Angie Seong Bat Form Yes
HexCursed Wendy Fairbanks Healing Yes
JonnyGulliver Protocol AI Pending
RossN Moonlighter Alt Form Yes
Drachenspirit ArcFlight Energy Control Yes

Last edited by Rockerboy; Feb 13th, 2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 05:51 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 717
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW
What a great set-up, lodging my interest!
Please assume I like you and your post.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:07 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6870
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
First! Heh, told you I had someone ready to go.

Chi-Lin
right-aligned image

✧ Name: Kelly Chang - is secretly Pronounced CHEE-LinChi-Lin
✧ Age: 18
✧ Physical Description: See right and below

✧ Personality: Bright and cheerful by day, becoming somewhat snarky and over-confident of her new powers when Chi-Lin
✧ Occupation: High school student / part-time vigilante
✧ Powerset: Martial arts enhanced with Shaolin techniques (and possibly some green gas)
✧ Backstory:

✧ Motivations: Initially, Kelly just wanted to help keep her neighbourhood safe. But the killing of her grandfather has fueled her with a sense of vengeance and solemn duty to fight back against the darkness that threatens to consume all Gotham City.
✧ Contacts:

✧ Complications:
Overdue Homework: Despite becoming a vigilante, Kelly still has school and deadlines to worry about. Her parents have already noticed a slip in her grades and that she seems so much more tired in the mornings. They think the gymnastics club is training her too hard. Kelly needs to juggle these responsibilities while keeping her secret from her parents.

Vendetta: The Neon Dragon triads that survived the battle and were put in prison have recently escaped in a mass break-out orchestrated by the Joker. And they want their turf back. Their boss, Tony Li, has brought in some extra "special" muscle to deal with her. His orders are that she be brought back to him, alive...

✧ Writing Sample:

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 11th, 2024 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Updated
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:18 AM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
Boons and Malus?
I might actually adjust this, stand by!

We'll just go with the simpler:

✧ Motivations: things that make your character do what they do
✧ Complications: things that might hinder your character doing what they do

Last edited by Rockerboy; Feb 7th, 2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:44 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Perfect thanks - updated!
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 07:31 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22042
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Question: Is it necessary to have been at the parade and exposed to the mutagen, or could our abilities/powers have been derived elsewhere?
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 07:35 AM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
Technically you could get it elsewhere, sure; this was mainly to serve as a common catalyst, so everyone has something in common. Still, depending on how you want to play it, it's possible the gas unlocked latent powers that were then released after leaving the hospital - like an accident at work, ala Flash, or any number of X-Men, etc.

Failing that, if you wanted to go the 'already powered' route, hit me with some specifics and we can work something out!
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 09:08 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 717
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW
Lenny Holtz
right-aligned image

Name: Leonard 'Lenny' Holtz
Physical Description: See image, and in Powerset for what it looks like when he teleports; he's never much felt the need to dress up, for himself or for others, so his clothes are nondescript, his hair is shaggy and his beard is scruffy. Since getting his powers he's thinking about getting a proper haircut. And if he's going to keep doing these night-time excursions maybe he should get a mask... but for now its enough to pull his scarf up and his cap down.
Personality: His powers have altered his mindset and approach to people. They feel closer now, more reachable, but then so does he. He feels more vulnerable, and he's having to get used to that. He's trying to actually hold conversations now, but he's a little out of practice.
Powerset: Distance Doesn't Matter (key powers Teleportation; Remote Sensing)

Backstory: Lenny Holtz tended to leave people alone. There just felt like such a vast distance between them. He could be standing in a packed elevator and feel like everyone else was a mile away. Talking to anyone felt like shouting across the Grand Canyon. It was an uncomfortable feeling, knowing they were right there, but also so far away. In short, he felt alone, but not lonely. He was happier alone.
His job took him to high up, isolated places, where he could appreciate being above everything, away from everything - the world spread out away from him, confirming that it was too big - he could see such a long way, and yet know that even that vast area was a pinprick on the surface of the Earth. As far as he could see - that was the whole world, or might as well be. Why worry about anywhere else.

Contacts:
  • Herman and Christa Holtz: Lenny's estranged parents. He never fell out with them, he just... drifted away. As he grew up and their parental responsibilities grew less direct, he found less and less reason to speak to or spend time with them. Christa would call occasionally to check on him, but the last time he moved apartments he forgot to give them the new number and hasn't heard from them since. Since he gained his abilities he increasingly feels like he ought to reach out, but how to do that after so many years of being so distant?
  • Annette Morrow: Lenny's ex-girlfriend. He tried to make it work, but eventually she ended things, and he didn't try to convince her otherwise. She used to think he was the strong, silent type, she said, but eventually she realised he was just distant, unable or unwilling to hold real conversations or connect with people, and she couldn't be with someone like that. In a way she pitied him, seeing that his remoteness wasn't malevolent, or even deliberate. She's stuck around as a presence in his life, trying to make sure he doesn't end up completely isolated. Something is different about him lately though, like he's actually trying to connect. Honestly it's a little unnerving after all this time, but she hopes he's finally becoming a more rounded person.
  • Cameron Fry: The closest thing Lenny has to a friend at work. Cameron doesn't mind that Lenny tends not to hold up his end of a conversation; Cam has enough conversation for two people, and then some. Lenny appreciates that Cam doesn't try to encourage him to engage, and will just talk and talk, until the chatter sounds like static to Lenny, a background noise helping him focus better on his work as they both hang from a rooftop.
Motivations:
  • Responsibility/Doing Good: Lenny just wants to help. It used to feel like there was an uncrossable distance between him and others, but now events feel like they're happening right in front of him. He'd feel so guilty if he just stood by.
Complications:
  • Fear: GCPD and others are on the lookout for people showing unusual abilities. Gordon wants people to help against the gangs, and Lenny feels the pull, but wouldn't that put him in the sights of people like the Joker? Those guys don't mess around.
  • Hunted/Enemies: He's taken to wandering around places that members of the public aren't technically allowed - museums after dark, expensive houses, private gardens, that kind of thing. Just to look. He doesn't take anything, he's not a thief, but the world has suddenly opened up to Lenny, and he wants to see it. Word has started to spread among a certain group of people about a visitor who appears on their CCTV, looks around, then disappears. Or a ghost - motion sensors in locked buildings are triggered, but when security arrive there's no sign anyone was ever there. Who is this figure, and what secrets have they seen on their walkabouts? Enquiring minds want to know...

Writing Samples:

Please assume I like you and your post.

Last edited by EMIW; Feb 9th, 2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3350
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Wow! This whole game, concept, the story... it's phenomenal! I will post interest for sure.

You know what? I'll do better than post interest. Application:
right-aligned image
Name: Norbert Winchester aka Tin Whiskers

Physical Description: A haggard-looking old man with an old-fashioned mustache and grey hair that has turned almost all white. A bald spot has begun to form on the back of his head, and there is a scar on his face near his right eye. His clothes are conservative casual to more formal at times, wearing inexpensive suits. As a hero, he is a masked vigilante cowboy wearing a long worn-out duster, a signature cowboy hat, and even an authentic sheriff's badge of old.

Personality: Jaded and reserved, but polite most of the time when interacting with reasonable people. When pushed, he can become quite irate with righteous fury and acid wit. Not one to simply shoot first and ask questions later, but he will shoot if he has to. Norbert is somewhat of a history buff and an avid collector of historical objects, particularly from the old frontier days and the wild west, as was his father. When it came to putting together an outfit, it turned out he already had most things already.

Occupation: Former war veteran. By day, a retired engineer and realtor. He has been living off a nest egg.
Powerset: Guns with tech and gizmos. Technology manipulation and disruption (heavily).

Contacts:
Matilda Baker - an old flame he used to know back in the Vietnam war. She's about as old as Norbert and pretty much been a nurse her whole life! Well, at the moment she isn't as she is retired, too.
Gerald Graves - a military buddy that's been in contact with Norbert through thick and thin. He was fairly high ranking but is retired as well now. Still, he can really pull some strings when he wants to.
Pamela Sheltra - a younger realtor who's usually on the up and up about things: who is buying up which properties? What places are available for sale or have been abandoned for a long time? She is probably the perfect person to ask, and quite the socialite as well.
The family - Sadly, Norbert's wife, Regina, had died of cancer 6 years ago. His son Christopher and daughter Amy, have moved away to Vermont and Florida, respectively. His son is into computer science and works as an internet security and encryption expert. He has two children: Hans and Norbert (named after his father). Amy is a part time secretary and full time mother, with children Nina, Ann Marie, and Alabaster.

Motivations: He's mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore!

Complications:
  • An old fart - The Green Gas may have revitalized Norbert's body and made him feel like he has energy to go out and live life to its fullest again.. but at the end of the day, he's still an old codger.
  • Explosive Temper - not as bad as when he was younger but one could argue that just makes the detonation even more powerful when it does occur. Watch out!
  • Chaotic Whiskers - When Norbert uses his powers, his facial hair tends to start growing out of control. This makes for some annoyance if ignored for too long, and difficult to hide his identity if he hasn't had a chance to properly trim it.
  • PTSD - The traumas of war haven't been kind, so when in a difficult situation with loud bangs and shock waves, his old memories and instincts might kick in, causing him to do a number of unpredictable things from diving to take cover or cowering temporarily, acting uncharacteristically savage, or some other unknown actions where he blacks out just to discover the results after the fact.

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; Feb 13th, 2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:46 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
Hmmm. If this group turns out to be more "Runaways/X-men" in feel I may try a different character. I was going more for the pulp Batman comic book type...
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 12:49 PM
Sport-mode princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 558
HexCursed HexCursed HexCursed HexCursed HexCursed HexCursed
Interest
Well... I don't know hardly anything about comics and basically only watch the movies for the hot guys, but playing as a superhero sounds fun. I've only played twice in games that fizzled out quickly. I hope that being a newbie is okay. At the moment, I am thinking that I might play some kind of energy controller type, if that fits the Gotham setting. But I want to look at the possible energy types so that I'm not being super-derivative.

When is the application deadline?

Last edited by HexCursed; Feb 7th, 2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 01:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10470
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: "Junkyard Dog" (real name Herman Berger)
Physical Description: Junkyard Dog is a tall, muscular brown-skinned man who wears an armored helmet shaped like the head of a rottweiler. He wears an armored vest covered in pouches and around his waist is a utility belt from which hangs a variety of gadgets and strange devices. He carries a crowbar in his right hand and wears black utility pants tucked into a pair of polished military-style boots.
Personality: Junkyard Dog is very protective of his neighborhood and the city in general, and does not tolerate bullies picking on those weaker than themselves. Although much of his life he has tried to avoid confrontation, seeing that there is a void in the safety of Gotham City he has decided to do something about it. Contained in the body of a lifelong athlete is a highly technical mind that can create a variety of different gadgets, and Junkyard loves finding creative solutions to problems. He is brave and cunning, but can be a bit short tempered at times.
Powerset: A combination of athleticism and martial arts skills combined with gizmos designed to stun, surprise, incapacitate, or otherwise affect other people. Still working on this idea. Batman-esque idea - training and gadgets over actual powers.
Backstory: Born and raised in the East End, Herman managed to beat the odds and graduate from high school before being accepted into the US Naval Academy on a wrestling scholarship and earning an engineering degree. Becoming a Marine Corps officer, Herman served honorably for 10 years before leaving the military as a Captain (he was passed over for Major twice and was booted out because of that - he was much more of a leader in the trenches than one to sit behind a desk, and paid for it). Returning home to Gotham City, Herman bought an old property and turned it into a repair shop/scrapyard which he runs as a full time business. It is steady work and although not lucrative is enough to make ends meet with a bit extra. He is a lifelong athlete and works out every day, attends church on Sundays, and volunteers as a Big Brother at the local youth center.
Contacts: Pastor Vaughn Jones, a Methodist pastor who Herman considers a friend. Jermaine Bell, his Little Brother (12 year old) at the youth center. Malcolm Henderson, computer repair store owner and electronics expert. Officer Lajuan Durant, a patrol officer with the Gotham City PD who served with Herman in the Marine Corps.
Motivations: Junkyard Dog feels an obligation to protect his neighborhood as no one else will be, and he still sees the Marine Corps values of honor-courage-commitment as relevant in his life so he feels it is his duty since no one else can.
Complications: He has a full time job and other social obligations so he will need to keep up appearances with those while balancing his new chosen career.

Writing Sample:
Shoving open the double doors to the Gotham City Hospital, Herman made a beeline for the Intensive Care Unit. Pastor Jones broke the news to him, and Herman immediately dropped everything, locked up his shop, and went directly here. As he rushes past hospital staff, he can hear the talk - something about a gas attack at the parade. Upon being buzzed into the Intensive Care Unit, he heads directly to the desk to ask for the room number. Then, once learning where he needs to go, he locates the room and goes right in.

He misses a step as he enters. On the bed is Jermaine, looking pale and with a breathing tube inserted in his mouth. The machines beep as they monitor his oxygen levels and heart rate. His frail chest rises and falls as he breathes, but his eyes are closed. Walking over to his side, Herman lays a big hand on his head to see if he will awaken. "He's unconscious," said the nurse as she walked in. She is older, short and wide, but with a kind face and seems sympathetic as she approaches Jermaine. "Most people weren't affected as much as he was. The doctors believe it's due to his cystic fibrosis. Are you the father?"

Herman nods knowingly as he keeps his hand on Jermaine's head. "I'm his Big Brother," Herman remarks in his deep, warm voice. "As in mentor. His father was killed in gang violence eight years ago. Same with his older brother, two years ago. His mom works two jobs so she struggles to have time for him. She would be here if she could."

With a sad smile, the nurse checks Jermaine's vitals and remarks "No change yet. That's not a bad sign." Not a good sign either, thinks Herman to himself as she leaves. The TV then changes to the news report where the reporter describes the gas attack in detail and the Joker's involvement. Punching his open hand with his fist, Herman curses. Gotham City is going to hell. More so now than before. And the East End was going to suffer the worst, because they were the poorest and most overlooked. Seeing Commissioner Gordon on TV, Herman thinks Damn it, someone needs to do something! He thumps the wall in frustration and sits down, absent mindedly scratching his tattoo on his forearm. A souvenir from his Marine Corps days - a large Ka-Bar knife with "First to Fight" written below it.

Looking at his tattoo, Herman stops scratching. "First to Fight... What if... Yeah... First to Fight is right. Who else is gonna fight for us? For Jermaine? For our church? Standing up, he walks over to Jermaine and whispers "Don't worry, big man. I'm here. And I'm gonna fix this." He takes a nearby pen and writes down his name and contact information, stating to send him any and all medical bills. Then, patting Jermaine on the head one last time, Herman starts heading back to his shop. There's a lot of work to do to make this happen. But he's ready. And, surprisingly, he is looking forward to it...

Last edited by Grouchy; Feb 12th, 2024 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 826
Iron Signet Iron Signet Iron Signet Iron Signet Iron Signet Iron Signet Iron Signet
Oooh, I haven’t played M&M before, but I do have a copy of the handbook.

I’ve been trying to justify an old B:TAS or Gargoyles inspired character, I should be able to get something together by tonight.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:19 PM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
Hmmm. If this group turns out to be more "Runaways/X-men" in feel I may try a different character. I was going more for the pulp Batman comic book type...
I wouldn't worry too much about the power angle; all that does is slightly alter confrontations, and Gotham rogues have more than enough versatility to handle some super power types who are in the group, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCursed View Post
Interest
Well... I don't know hardly anything about comics and basically only watch the movies for the hot guys, but playing as a superhero sounds fun. I've only played twice in games that fizzled out quickly. I hope that being a newbie is okay. At the moment, I am thinking that I might play some kind of energy controller type, if that fits the Gotham setting. But I want to look at the possible energy types so that I'm not being super-derivative.

When is the application deadline?
No real comic knowledge needed, per se. Just an interest in the Batman world and being part of an - essentially - elseworlds campaign, where we take on that role.

Also, considering the small group number, I was thinking about a week (15th Feb).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Signet View Post
Oooh, I havenít played M&M before, but I do have a copy of the handbook.

Iíve been trying to justify an old B:TAS or Gargoyles inspired character, I should be able to get something together by tonight.
Gargoyles? Nice, that's a classic. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 07:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Desert Typhoon Desert Typhoon
How would you handle transformations, I have an inkling of an idea of a somewhat lower-powered version of Prime