twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 05:47 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66504
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
August POTM

Here we are, entering the second of the Cesar months, and isn't the year flying by?

Do you have a great post in a game you've seen? Nominate it! Show some love to your favorite bit of writing, and your favorite writer, this month, and do a nomination!

We can't argue over the best post, if you don't nominate it!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58473
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nominee: Huhart
Nominator: A Boy Named Sass
Game: Sass' Tyranny of Dragons

Raison: I always forget to nominate the posts I see and love across a month so I'm going to try to start doing it when I see the posts. The impetus of Chapter 3 has been multifaceted, but the personal goal of every returning character has been: where's Barnabas? The party's former ne'er-do-well Halfling Rogue (a former PC) was captured by the Cult of the Dragon in the middle of a rescue operation and getting him back has been a major goal. Now, with most other loose ends tied, the important question comes out, and so do the fangs. Visverax is largely selfishly-driven and selfish in intent, but if he is one thing, it is loyal to a fault. That fault has been struck and he is erupting like a dragon in a volcano. So what if the outlet is a 16 year old girl in charge of a group of Cultists of the Dragon?

Original link here

Last edited by Sassafrass; 08-13-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:24 AM
To the Callhill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6022
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Player Nominated: Bluejack
Game: Odyssey of the Dragonlords
System: 5E
DM: Begon Ugo
Post Link: Gren Nefarion and the Naiads

About The Game: Master DM Begon Ugo spun up this Odyssey of the Dragonlords game only last month and it is already turning into one to be remembered. Six epic heroes have been called by Versi The Oracle to save the ancient land of Thylea from destruction. Soon after completing their first quest by defeating a gigantic beast, the group then set off to visit the Oracle herself. A battle then ensued and that's where the group now finds itself. The story has only just begun, but as is usual in To the Callhill games there has already been some great posts.

Reason for Nomination: With the first battle won, Gren Nefarion, The Fist of Pythor, momentarily left the group so that he could clean the beast's innards from his skin and armor. The result was a meeting between Gren and his beautiful naiads. Bluejack paints a reflective and somewhat somber scene here as he is reunited with Iraenia and her sisters. The mood of this post is just magnificent and is assisted by the perfect image.

And here's another great thing about this post...like so many other posts from Bluejack...he is not only introducing his fellow players to more of Gren's history, but he is adding details to the world that we are playing in and building together. This post is world building with mood and emotion and I think it's simply terrific. Thank you, Bluejack!

To the Callhill: Kavis Kaal: Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (5e) | Vallus: Princes of the Apocalypse (5e) | Sain: Eberron Escapades (5e) | Gaal: Hell's Vengeance (PF) | Aeolus: OotD (5e) | Gina-5: Shardstorm Genesis (Cypher)

Last edited by Warson; 08-16-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15557
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Player Nominated: UngainlyFool
Game: Outplay
System: Shadowrun
DM: Imveros

Reason for Nomination: Outplay has been a treasure trove of great posts and it was really difficult just being able to nominate one. In the chosen post UngainlyFool beautifully shows Bonus’ feelings; her doubts, insecurities and also her anger about what she thought to be a betrayal by a friend. All of it while still asking the right questions about what the heck was going on.

Post Link

Old 09-03-2020, 10:29 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14590
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Player Nominated: rhaiber
Game: Outplay
System: DnD 5e
DM: Bhelogan

Reason for Nomination: Ginnifer was a truly fierce and outstanding character in the Outplay competition and I immensely enjoyed the chance to write alongside rhaiber throughout. This post was the pinnacle of round 3 and generated a fantastic amount of content for Shugaro and Ginnifer to bounce off throughout the rest of the competition. This was an emotional rollercoaster and one that totally stole the show for round 3, with amazing detail, situational nous and beautifully true to Ginnifer's character. Given that the post was part of a now-closed round of Outplay, I can't put the post in a spoiler here, but the link is below.

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by pianoman90; 09-03-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:31 AM
Ad meliora.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5369
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Player Nominated: Imveros
Game: Outplay 2020 / Shadowrun Division
System: Shadowrun
DM: Imveros

Reason for Nomination: This nomination could certainly go collectively to the entire judges' panel for conceiving and implementing a roller-coaster ride of suspense and intrigue in both the D&D and the Shadowrun portions of the 2020 Outplay competition. But since the rules call for one individual and one post, I believe this is the post that best represented everything that made the contest a success.

This post came in the final round of competition, and was the penultimate GM post of the Shadowrun portion of the contest. So you would think things would be fairly straightforward by now, right? Not at all. The ostensible challenge of having the contestants unearth a mole in the contest is blown wide open by the reintroduction of an eliminated player (NPC'ed with the player's permission) and crucial evidence that he (or his deck) might be holding.

I read this thread as a spectator—and one entirely unfamiliar with Shadowrun when the contest began—so I know I didn't get all the Shadowrun nuances. But to me that made it even more impressive, that the jaw-dropping cliffhanger could keep absolutely any reader's interest. And equally important, the post achieved exactly what it should have done as a GM contest post—it challenged the players with something entirely unexpected and pushed them to excel at the finish.

So who deserves greater acclaim this month ... the Outplay players who bedazzled us with their responses to these unexpected scenarios, or the Outplay GMs who made those scenarios possible and set up all the players for success?

Well, two things are clear: 1) both deserve strong consideration and 2) I'm glad I don't have to decide.

Original post Link to original post

Last edited by bananabadger; 09-05-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1923
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Player Nominated: Phettberg
Game: At the Edge of Chaos
System: GURPS 4th Edition
DM: Phettberg
Post Link: Khabor, Urarj - Start of the drowning month

About The Game: At the Edge of Chaos is a game set in a world where magic is slowly returning after a cataclysmic war caused hundreds of years of silence for all things supernatural. Many different groups of adventurers (i.e., players) are exploring the new world for their own aims. The group my character is traveling with just arrived in the city of Khabor in Urarj after almost a month at sea.

Reason for Nomination: The size and scope of the world building in this post by Phettberg is magnificent. As a player, I was expecting something smaller in scale, perhaps something at the docks. What Phettberg delivered was a complete picture of the sprawling city of Khabor in all its immensity and grandeur. In addition to the striking details of the city and its populace, Phettberg conjured up an impromptu parade up the high road and also interspersed historical vignettes to truly make our entrance into Khabor - and this post - something very special.

Last edited by Leviticus; 09-06-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Closed Thread