Other EARTHDAWN: Playing the Possibilities: Delving the Depths. - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 12:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 121
Cap Ut Cap Ut
A doubt just crossed my mind: the already established characters are from Kaer Darrow, but this doesn't have to be the case for the new ones, right?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5184
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ut View Post
A doubt just crossed my mind: the already established characters are from Kaer Darrow, but this doesn't have to be the case for the new ones, right?
That is correct, and better for the narrative. Kaer Darrow was resealed after the expedition group left. There was another group that left a couple days after the active party, but that was the last one. The kaer is resealed and the wards are back in place. They will be active for a year.

However... one of the characters that will be leaving the group IS a Dwarven Weaponsmith. You have the option of taking over an established character if you wish, or making a new Weaponsmith of your liking. The choice I leave to you.

Last edited by Karhald; 08-28-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 121
Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhald View Post
However... one of the characters that will be leaving the group IS a Dwarven Weaponsmith. You have the option of taking over an established character if you wish, or making a new Weaponsmith of your liking. The choice I leave to you.
In the end I opted for a Warrior, potentially taking Weaponsmith as a second discipline later on.

Steinthor

Name: Steinthor
Race: Obsidiman
Discipline: Warrior
Steinthor was born in violence and violent was the first action he carried out with his hands, against what he instinctively recognized as the evil from beyond. There's a meaning behind that, he believes: some beings, like him, are bestowed with might and strength to fight for the world, with weapons made of its elements and forged by its people.

Description:
- Appearence: 8 feet tall, Steinthor appears slenderer than the average obsidiman and his strong musculature conveys a degree of dynamism and agility fairly atypical for his race. Skin and features are particularly rugged and metallic veins with shades of ametrine streak the entire body.
- Personality: Taciturn and reserved, Steinthor speaks only when he feels he needs to and connecting or simply socializing with others is generally not easy for him; he finds meditating in solitude to the sounds of nature much more pleasurable than joining the vibrant atmosphere of a crowded inn.
Steinthor is unusually energetic for an obsidiman, always willing to improve his abilities and learn anything useful for his mission, however this attitude never results in overeagerness: rest and patience are as important as effort and focus.
While compassionate toward the innocent, he's fierce against the wicked and when battle calls the fire of a volcano flares inside him.

Backstory: Steinthor was still Dreaming when the disaster happened, a few days from the time he would have naturally emerged: a sinister tremor reverbarated through the spiritual plane, the connection with other souls was lost and darkness preceeded the Liferock collapse. Obsidimen are typically slow thinkers, but Steinthor didn't have that luxury: he had to react, and fast, to every jolt and impact, using all his strength and will to not separate from the residual rock encasing him, until the strain was too much and he slipped into unconsciousness.
When he woke up, the obsidiman found himself freed from the stone and surrounded by the desolation of his Liferock's crumbled remains, and before he could fully realize what just happened, something alive emerged from the debris; surprise was soon replaced by horror and visceral detestation, instinct took over and Steinthor bashed the corrupted creature's skull with a boulder, ending it for good. And thus a beetle died where titans met their demise not long before.
The obsidiman was still shaken by the events when he started searching for his brothers and the only other survivor he managed to find and rescue was a troll half-buried; Delgren, that was his name, would become Steinthor's dearest friend and first Warrior teacher. He explained he was part of an expedition from the Caucavic Mountains; he and others had come to investigate and joined the raging battle against the Horrors, not knowing what they were really getting into.
Steinthor accompanied Delgren back to the rest of the group and was then invited on their return journey to Barsaive; once arrived, the troll reunited with his clan and decided to forgo adventure for good, still haunted by the traumatic experience. Now the obsidiman Warrior had to embark on his own path.

Hopes and Dreams: Steinthor believes he was born to oppose the forces of evil and as long as he lives he'll seek to get more and more effective. Of course he doesn't think he's going to put an end to the Horrors, he just wants to do his part and do it well.
Deep down he hopes that by fighting for good he'll restore the connection with the world he feels he has lost alongside his Liferock and brotherhood.

RP Sample: WIP

Last edited by Cap Ut; 08-31-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3530
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
There's options in dice roller for exploring dice link
Old 09-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrandil View Post
There's options in dice roller for exploring dice link
Thank you, but I have a link for codes up to step 40 (both with and without Karma) in my signature. This will work great for almost all situations Earthdawn. In some situations, when a different combination of dice is needed, such as extra Karma or a strange combination of dice, then I can help the player get the code assembled if needed.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Cronofuego13 Cronofuego13
I'd be interesting in playing Earthdawn! I have the 1st edition books, but am new to this site and the game. But I have to say that Earthdawn is awesome, so many cool races and classes. Are you still looking for more players? And any special thing I need to do to apply? Thanks.

Last edited by Cronofuego13; 09-03-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Hello Cronofuego!

I am currently recruiting for the next week. Looking for about 3 players to fill out the group. Any Discipline is fine.

We are playing 4th edition, and there have been quite a few changes from 1st, but it's still very much the same game.

Just apply with a race/discipline/name/description and other information.

Expect to start with around 5000 legend points, but don't make a character sheet yet, just know that you'll be either 2nd circle and about to qualify for 3rd, or just barely entered 3rd circle.

Make a backstory, RP sample, and really wow me with your writing chops. I'll be deciding on who gets in after the deadline.

Thank you for showing interest in the game!
Old 09-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Everything Counts
Hi--I saw Karhald's invite over on Discord and decided to come on over.

Name: Marle
Race: Human
Discipline: Archer

Description:
Marle is of the Vorst peoples, clearly evident in his light amber skin. His face is unlined but the dark hair of his kind is graying. He's a stocky man just over five feet tall, with the lean look of someone always on the move. Thick-fingered and calloused, his hands look clumsy but move with nimbleness, surety, and precision. No one would confuse him for one of those soft merchants out of Travar; there's no adornment to his clothes, no frills, not a scrap of unnecessary fabric, and he dresses in earth tones instead of their flashy fashions. His equipment, like his clothing, is entirely utilitarian--nothing impressive, but everything is well-maintained and functional.

Backstory:
Prey that stays in one place when the predator retreats deserves what's coming to it. The Vorst beat back the Horrors once, then settled at Lake Ban. Marle saw this as madness. He left as soon as he was of age. Better to be on the move than wait for the Horrors to finish the job.
He wasn't an adept then; just a strong back and a steady hand willing to work. He was hired on by a merchant house in Travar, guarding caravans as they sailed up the Byrose. For years the job kept him fed and kept him moving and he didn't aspire to anything more. But eventually that merchant house collapsed in a trade war, and Marle and two dozen other now-unemployed soldiers formed a mercenary company. They traveled the Coil, working when they could, resorting to banditry when they needed to. When the Triumph landed at Ayodhaya, the company went to Lake Ban--and split. Half of the mercenaries refused to work for the Therans, instead joining the independence forces. The other half signed on with the Therans to do grunt work and recon patrols. The Theran coin was better, so Marle went with the latter.
It was during the War that Marle's potential was seen by Spelitus, a Theran adept. Spelitus reached out and taught Marle, who had long used a bow, how to be a true Archer. Marle trained for nearly two years, refining his Pattern, strengthening his connection to his Discipline. But when the War ended,* Spelitus disappeared--presumably dead or reassigned--and Marle again fled Lake Ban for the good of his own survival.Now adrift in the valleys east of Travar, the Vorst takes odd jobs here and there. He survives. But the days blend together and after long years of focusing on his survival, he's beginning to realize that mere survival is not enough--part of him wants something to live for.

Roleplaying:
WIP
Old 09-09-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1737
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Posting interest. I played 1st Edition as well, so I will have to dig up some 4th Edition PDFs and give them a read over.

Does 4th Edition still have that special human class that allows you to basically cherry pick the abilities you want? Wanderer or Veteran... I can't recall the name. Found it! Journeyman. Is that still a thing in 4th Edition?

Last edited by Superstrength79; 09-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrength79 View Post
Posting interest. I played 1st Edition as well, so I will have to dig up some 4th Edition PDFs and give them a read over.

Does 4th Edition still have that special human class that allows you to basically cherry pick the abilities you want? Wanderer or Veteran... I can't recall the name. Found it! Journeyman. Is that still a thing in 4th Edition?
Ah, you mean the Discipline where you start with TWO Versatility talents and then just forge your own path? It was a very cool, very malleable Discipline in a game where the disciplines were not malleable at all. However, in 4th edition, all Disciplines have nearly half of the Talents as Talent Options where you can choose from a list of thematically appropriate talents for the Discipline.

For example: Weaponsmith starting talents are: Forge Weapon, Item History, Melee Weapons, Steel Thought, Thread Weaving

Upon creation, you get those 5 talents and may choose one Novice Talent Option from the following list: Avoid Blow, Awareness, Danger Sense, Disarm Trap, Fireblood, First Impression, Haggle, Read and Write Language, Shield Bash, Speak Language

Everytime you go up in Circle, you get a Discipline Talent and can choose another option.

Once you hit Journeyman Tier (Circles 5-8) you can choose from a new list, or keep picking from the Novice Talent Options if you prefer.

So, the Journeyman Path for Humans is not a thing in 4e yet, but I believe FASA is working on a bunch of minor paths that you can tack onto a core discipline, kind of like a prestige class from DnD 3.x. It might already be in released literature, I have yet to buy the most recent 2 PDFs, as I haven't had time to read them, but when I do get time, I'll be sure to buy them and read them through.

Last edited by Karhald; 09-09-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
utsukushi utsukushi utsukushi
Not as such, no. Journeymen still exist as a concept, but not as a completely open Discipline the way they started. They're a Path now, which is a thing Morgan came up with that just slots into the lore and mechanics as if it had always been there, but Paths don't come in until 5th Circle.

The Journeyman Path does greatly enhance your Versatility options and still opens up Morphism (that Talent that lets you take on other races' Attribute Modifiers, though that has been toned down a little -- now it's a thing you can do for a little while, not a permanent change, but it's still awfully cool.) If you wanted to plan for that, you'd want to make someone who uses their Versatility to really step outside their Discipline -- eg, not a Swordmaster who learns Air Dance, but rather one that picks up maybe Animal Bond, Tracking, and Dead Fall, or whatever.

...If you're coming in from 1E and asking about Journeyman, though, it's probably worth mentioning that Versatility itself has really been.. it's not as OP as it was in 1E. It actually hasn't changed, but everyone else has more options now, so it doesn't stand out so much. For spellcasters especially it has finally been tamed so that you don't basically have to be Human. (Spells cost LP in 4E, so while a Human Spellcasters can still pretty quickly pick up all the Threadweavings, they really can't just go learn All The Spells so it's much better balanced and a Human caster isn't so much better than any other kind. Windling casters, on the other hand, are still pretty broken.)

Edit: Or that. I swear, Karhald's post wasn't there when I started! Though to answer his semi-question, the Paths are out -- Mystic Paths is really cool and absolutely worth picking up and reading. But, again, totally a Journeyman+ thing, so no hurry.

Last edited by utsukushi; 09-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:37 PM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1737
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Tresalamis
right-aligned image
Name: Tresalamis
Race: T'skrang
Discipline: Nethermancer

Description: Average height and weight for a T'skrang, often found to be covered in dust or webbing. He wears dark-colored clothing to better conceal himself at night and covers his head crest to protest the boisterous nature of his kin.

Backstory: Tresalamis is the descendant of a T'skrang Beastmaster by the name of Tusalamis. Where the ancestor was reverent of life and enjoyed kinship with the natural world around him, Tresalamis instead covets communication with the worlds beyond. Tersalamis learned his skills from a dwarven nethermancer named Baskager that would often frequent their niall for trade and respite.

Growing up in a standard niall, others quickly realized Tresalamis would never quite fit in to their way of life. He was far too studious and rigid in his ways, and focused on realms not readily visible to others instead of on the here and now as other t'skrang might. Still, they respected his passion for the path he chose in life and the bravery in the face of ridicule, so after some initials trials of youth, life in the niall wasn't too uncomfortable for Tresalamis over the years. One thing his people - never - could quite understand, was that Tresalamis preferred to dirt bathe instead of submerge himself in water. He claims it helps him stay in tune with the afterlife, while his people claim he just can't be bothered to properly groom.

Due to his special interests, Tresalamis often found himself serving as a night guard for his niall. It didn't bother him at all, and he often enlisted the assistance of the passing owl or raven to aid in his work.

Goals: Commune with ancient peoples to find the best ways to protect against the horrors, and possibly eradicate them for good.

RP sample:

Tresalamis adjusted the teacup to sit more properly on the small, wooden table. It was midnight and cloudy, so the moonlight didn't give the t'skrang much in the way of visibility to see what he was doing. The ceremonial ritual had to be just right or else he wouldn't be able to commune with his ancestor. "Gah!" he exclaimed at a normal voice level, and clicked his tongue to accentuate his frustration. The nethermancer was quite practiced at being quiet during his night watch duties, as not to wake his fellow villagers. They put up with his odd demeanor, but nobody likes being awoken in the middle of the night.

Hearing flapping noises overhead, Tresalamis raised his head to hear better, allowing his hood to move away from his ears a little more to possibly determine where the noise was coming from. Not being able to tell, the t'skrang remove his hood and looked over his shoulder into the night sky. The clouds began to drift by and the moonlight peaked in enough that he could make out the form of a bird. "Ah!" he clicked his tongue again this time to indicate pleasure, "Iskendjor, my friend." Smiling, he looked back to the table and adjusted the teacup a bit more.

The raven circled him once and landed on the wooden table that the t'skrang was sitting in front of. Tresalamis retrieved a piece of stale bread that he had been saving and offered it to the bird, which took the bread eagerly, cawing softly as a thanks.

Iskendjor knew better than to interfere with the tea ceremony that was being set up, as the pair had been close companions for quite some time. As the final preparations were being made, Tresalamis asked his raven companion to scout around the village while he communed with his ancestor. It wasn't a verbal command, but simply a familar hand gesture and the raven cawed and took off flying, happily willing to fly around and keep its eyes open for any threats. Nodding in satisfaction with the ceremonial placement of the teacup, kettle, and other ritual pieces, Tresalamis closed his eyes and uttered the necessary magics to contact his dear, ancient relative - Tusalamis the Beastmaster.

OOCI ran some 1st Edition games back in the day, and Tusalamis was my friend's beastmaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6da14ffd5604ab91f3cdb9d5cb9ca995.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	86816  
Old 09-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you all for your applications! I will stop accepting new apps at this time, and I'll get back to you on my final decision. It may take a little while, someone at work suddenly decided that too many people seemed happy with life, and thus created a ton of unnecessary work for everyone.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Geez this is a hard choice... I'll be posting the new roster in a few hours.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Wow, this was a very hard choice, and I just couldn't bring it down to 3, so I'm going to have to take on a heavier role as GM and welcome FOUR new players!!!!

PlayerCharacterRaceDisciplineStatus
Bonhumm Fanfan Elf Swordmaster Application Complete
ender3d Tharkul Ork Warrior Application Complete
Utsukushi Khara Venge Dwarf Nethermancer Application complete
superstrength79TresalamisT'SkrangNethermancerApplication Complete

Call me crazy for bringing in two Nethermancers, but the applications were so good I had to flip a coin and it landed on its edge. I think a bone circle might have been involved.

Thank you for the interest, everyone, and I'm sorry if I couldn't bring in your character concept.

I'm honestly surprised and delighted at how many people expressed interest, and not just from my shout-out at the FASA Discord.

Last edited by Karhald; 09-16-2020 at 09:36 PM.