RPXP: 104
Midnight Kian Midnight Kian
Character Concept
Character Name: Zavilamalikai
right-aligned image

Race: Water Genasi
Class: Storm Sorceror
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Personality: Wary and guarded at first, once befriended is a loyal companion who will not leave anyone behind. Zav is prone to use violence against those who hurt his companions.
Backstory: Zavilamalikai, or Zav for short, was born with strange coloured skin and eyes that almost tore his family apart because his father thought that his mother was cheating on him. Fortunately, his uncle who had a picture of their grandfather was there to explain that their bloodline carries the gift, or curse, of the “Blue Water Blood”. It was not easy for his father to accept this strange looking child of his, but he came to love his son eventually.

Zav’s life in the Nautilona was rather eventful. As a kid, Zav was a rascal, playing with his water powers and pranking his friends, which got him some caning for misbehaving. He never really thought much about what lies beyond the dome, because to him, Nautilona is the world. When his uncle told him stories and showed him pictures of a world on land and ancient civilisation, it felt like a fairytale. Zav used to wonder a lot about the nature of his family's strange bloodline and where it came from, but none of the family members knew the real history behind it.

During his teenage years, he led a gang of five called The Wicked Ice. They were just a bunch of youths hanging out in their territory. After a certain fateful meeting, Zav learned to be disciplined and responsible with his powers. He decided to sign up as a Salvager to help with the issue that the city is facing. The Wicked Ice did not disband, and the leadership was passed on to Kolas, his best friend. The gang was actually proud that Zav found a purpose for his powers, and Zav wished them well in their endeavours before leaving.

(Fateful meeting part to be discussed with DM)
Notable Bonds:
-Uncle Barosiva(62yo), he is an old human bard who owns a collection of pictures and lore of the decimated world on land that he had inherited from his grandfather who was a water genasi. Barosiva is a jolly man who spends most of his time in taverns performing his lute. Zav has a good relationship with Barosiva and would visit him often to listen to his tales.
-Kolas Yani(18yo), he was Zav's second-in-command when Zav was leading The Wicked Ice. Kolas is a cunning halfling with a bright mind. He spends a lot of his time exploring and noting down the layout of the city and was the one who suggested the spot for the gang's hangout territory.
-That individual who showed Zav that he could use his powers to help Nautilona. A possible mentor or deity, or something else entirely.

Other notes:
-The Wicked Ice has clashed with other gangs before, and Zav is known to be quite brutal if he finds out that his members get injured. After the other gangs realized that he can dish out magic, they stopped bothering Zav and his gang.

Last edited by Midnight Kian; 04-23-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Updated notable contacts and bonds
Old 04-20-2020, 04:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1232
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Gnome View Post
Thank you for the answers. I think if we are having fun with the game, but the questions about underwater stuff need answers and the books don't give 'em, we could all homebrew some rules together and add them to the submissions for the site rule lexicon when submissions come around again!
Indeed, where the rules are lacking we'll have to agree on our own.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1322
DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII
Oh gosh... a storm sorcerer in a campaign where everything is vulnerable to lightning... you're gonna blow the monsters out of the water! (pun intended!)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:03 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@DurinVII
But the good stuffs are mostly fire! xD I tried to make a lightning mage once, not a lot of options but this time I'm trying the water and lightning route. Speaking of...

@gavins38
How would the Call Lightning spell interact underwater? Would it just not work because there is no air 100ft above?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:51 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 420
The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome The Great Gnome
@Midnight Kian
Not speaking from a mechanics point, but strictly from a physics point, there is a great deal of static electricity pooled in ground spots and in molecular structures of all varieties. It may just wind up being a question of flavoring the spell, but there's no reason it wouldn't work as normal underwater. It could just come from ground instead of the sky or from the water itself. Call lightning would call from 100 feet in any direction in which there was earth (electrical ground) to pull from in my last tabletop game, where I played a druid in an underground setting. Alternatively, since the movement of electrons is the phenomenon of electricity, the call lightning spell could come from the water itself, simply ionizing the water around a target for 100 feet in a sphere and causing the target to arc with electricity where they floated.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@The Great Gnome
Very valid points! Thank you for sharing. I suppose it is up to the DM to rule how certain spells would work in this interesting setting. Some DMs will stick to the wording of the spell. I haven't played in a mostly underwater game before, so this will be a fun experiment and experience (if he gets picked).

@gavins38
I have more questions after more thought about Zav's backstory.
What is the position of Deities in this setting? Do the people forsake their deities after what happened 100 years ago because their gods did not help them? Is there a main god that people in Nautilona worship now?
Old 04-21-2020, 02:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1322
DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII DurinVII
That's very true- my first D&D character ever was a storm sorcerer, and I found myself struggling to focus on lightning and thunder spells. Found myself using a lot of lightning chromatic orbs! :P
Old 04-21-2020, 05:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Some interesting questions that I never considered when creating the world. It's never been my intention to use the environment to disadvantage any character class, rather just to allow a different roleplay experience. I've made allowances so that melee combatants aren't at too much of a disadvantage, so with that in mind here are my interpretations of the possible answers...

Call Lightning: By the RAW this spell shouldn't work as you're going to be way more than 100ft under the surface of the water. In a dry area, such as within the dome, I would argue that this spell could work as the atmosphere would allow the creation of a storm cloud. Out in the open sea I would allow a little flavour to make the spell work. Perhaps as The Great Gnome has proposed, as I've just done a quick read up on storms and a lightning strike is in part due to a positive electrical charge in the ground which is attracted to the negative charge in the storm cloud. So arguably you could flavour the spell to say that you draw the charge from the ground instead of the sky.

Deities: A very good question. I believe this needs to be broken down into three separate categories: the survivors, those born in the dome, and the aquatic races.

The Survivors: The survivors may very well have lost their faith in their chosen deities. Especially clerics/monks/other members of religious institutions who would have turned to their deities for help to stop the cataclysm or just survive it. Some will believe that their deities helped them survive, but the majority will have lost their faith. These people would still need something to believe in as it is part of who they are, so with the influence of the aquatic races they would have turned their faith to one of the Water/Ocean/Tempest Domain deities.

Children of the Dome: Anyone born in the dome will not be influenced in their choice of deity by the events of the cataclysm. There will be a heavy influence to follow the Water/Ocean/Tempest Domain deities that the original citizens of Nautilona now follow but there will be a record in the city library/museum of the original deities as someone will have wanted to record their history. Youths may very well want to rebel by starting groups that follow the 'old' deities.

Aquatic Races: The aquatic races will likely follow deities related to the Water/Ocean/Tempest Domain already. They will have had influence on the citizens of Nautilona, especially after they integrated into the city after its creation.

While this world is homebrew and not based in any of the existing D&D settings, any deities that I use will be from the pantheon of Faerun. However, if you feel that you have a better deity/patron for your character I'm happy to listen to suggestions and incorporate them into the world.

Reading through the details of the deities of Faerun, it would seem that Istishia is the most prominent and widely followed of the Water/Ocean/Tempest deities. Therefore I would say that the majority of citizens now follow Istishia (I'm open to counter-arguments on this of course). On the flip side, Talos is the deity of storms and destruction so I would say that many citizens within the dome hold him accountable for the storms that ravage the surface.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3727
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Character Application
right-aligned image
Rydia Moonleaf

Age: 90 (born almost a decade after Nautilona was established)

Race: High Elf

Class: Wizard (Enchantress)

Alignment: Neutral Good

Personality: Rydia is bubbly and insatiably curious. She will do her best to keep everyone's spirits up despite any horrors that they must endure. She is a bit naive on how serious to feel about said horrors, however.

Backstory: The Moonleaf family were nobles before the cataclysm, and they still live among the more wealthy of the city (though the standards of wealth have certainly changed over the last century). Salvaging is necessary for survival, and the family has raised Rydia to believe this the most noble undertaking anyone in the city could pursue. She has trained long and hard for this, and she is eager to finally get out and see the remains of her family’s old world.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:01 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@gavins38
Noted, thank you for the information and clarification! Istishia and Talos sound fitting.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:30 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9670
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quick question before I put an app together. I know you said any official sources, but I was wondering if you would accept a possible 3rd party source. Considering the aquatic setting, I would REALLY like to play a selkie. As far as I can tell, there’s no official source for them in 5e yet, but I did find this awesome source that I think really captures what the race is all about. So, what do you say?
Old 04-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaiber View Post
Quick question before I put an app together. I know you said any official sources, but I was wondering if you would accept a possible 3rd party source. Considering the aquatic setting, I would REALLY like to play a selkie. As far as I can tell, there’s no official source for them in 5e yet, but I did find this awesome source that I think really captures what the race is all about. So, what do you say?
As the race doesn't give any distinct advantage over the races from the books I'll allow this as it does fit the aquatic setting.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:43 PM
ArtistErrant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9268
Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor Morathor
General InfoCharacter Name: Rish Aries
Race: Air Genasi
Class: Monk
Alignment: Lawful neutral

PersonalityRish is quiet and out of it, and he sometimes has trouble focusing. He's much more of a follower than a leader, as he finds it easier to go along with others than to figure out what to do for himself. Still, he does have a strong aversion to deception and trickery, and doesn't usually go along with plans that demand he lie to people. Even if he wants to keep something secret, he would rather say "I won't tell you" than "I don't know." He wants to be known as someone simple and straightforward who can be taken at face value when he speaks, if only because being mistrusted and second-guessed makes everything too complicated. He would like people to be able to trust that when he says something, he means it--no empty promises, no hollow threats. Just simple, reasonable communication is all he wants.

While Rish most of the time comes across as listless, unenthusiastic, and perpetually tired, he does seem to come to life in the midst of a fight. Apart from being more aware and engaged than he is in any other circumstance, Rish is surprisingly showy and flamboyant in his fighting style. It's about the only thing he seems to be any fun for him. But whatever happiness it brings him is fleeting, and drains away quickly as the adrenaline rush subsides.

BackstoryRish was a restless, overly energetic child, always feeling cooped up in the city of Nautilona. That was a large part of why the adventurous life of a Salvager excited and fascinated him, and from a young age, he had his sights set on that profession. When he was nine, he found some other kids from his neighborhood who had similar ambitions, and spent much of their free time training for the craft--pestering off-duty Salvagers into giving them tips or lessons when they could, or refining what they had already learned when they couldn't. Although Rish was the youngest by far, most of the rest of the group was very welcoming and supporting. Rish, in turn, gave the training his all; it was an outlet for all his restless energy, and the sense of discipline and work ethic it provided did a lot to bolster his self-esteem. Before long, the goal of becoming a Salvager was almost beside the point. The dedication and the work were their own reward.

As the other members of Rish's group got old enough, they began to join the Salvagers, one by one. As exciting as it was to see them achieving the goal they had all worked so hard for, it meant they didn't have as much time for the club. They couldn't seem to find any new recruits, either; little by little, the club dwindled away until, at thirteen, Rish was left training on his own. And without the encouragement of his friends and the supportive atmosphere the club had provided, Rish found that he couldn't manage to practice with the same dedication. He started to feel as though he had been fooling himself all this time, that the rigorous discipline he had taken pride in was never really his. And without it, he started to lose all sense of who he was. He didn't think he was cut out to be a Salvager anymore, but he didn't know what he could be instead. He was restless again, but not energetic as he had been as a child. He was listless, feeling adrift and ashamed.

Rish avoided his Salvager friends whenever they were back in town, and most of his other friends started to avoid him--he just wasn't a lot of fun to be around anymore. The only people who tolerated him were a couple of self-centered boys who seemed to like having a quiet tag-along that was too out of it to ever question or challenge them. He was still in good enough physical shape to keep up with the games and pastimes they liked, and he never called them out or tried to stop them when they were harassing or tormenting people. Even as they gradually moved up from adolescent cruelties to petty crimes, Rish went along with them, figuring that he wasn't good enough for any higher aspirations. By seventeen, Rish and his 'friends' were errand boys for one of Nautilona's shadier businessmen, and well on their way to becoming full-fledged enforcers.

That could easily have been the rest of Rish's life, except that he caught a lucky break: he got arrested. The crime was a relatively minor one and carried a light sentence, but it did serve as a signal to his increasingly estranged friends and family that he needed help. In particular, one of the senior members of his old club--now a seasoned, respected Salvager--managed to arrange that he serve his sentence with her organization. This did not sit well with Rish; it should have been a dream come true, but it was a dream he had given up on years ago, and to have it dropped in his lap now felt undeserved. In addition, his 'boss' was delighted with the arrangement. He seemed to see this as having an inside man in the Scavengers.

Last edited by Morathor; 04-27-2020 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Tweaked personality for clarification
Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9670
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Muireann
right-aligned image
Muireann
Character Name: Muireann (pronounced mweer-in)
Race: Selkie
Class: Life Cleric/Bard
Alignment: CG

Personality: Muireann is gentle, kind and good natured, with sense of empathy that compels her to always see things from other people’s point of view. An eternal optimist, she insists on seeing the best in others. Muireann is fiercely independent and values her freedom. She has an insatiable curiosity that drives her to seek new experiences and new frontiers. She is open and trusting, to the point of being somewhat naive. She sometimes has trouble relating to others, though this is not due to any sort of introversion. She actually tries to be outgoing, but tends to come off as socially awkward due to her sheltered upbringing.

Backstory: Muireann was born outside the dome and spent her early years in the Open Sea. Her mother moved her to Nautilona when she was still a young pup. Her mother claimed that Nautilona would simply provide a more stable environment for a young girl to grow up in. Muireann never felt fully comfortable in the domed city though and longed to explore the Open Sea once more, but her mother discouraged these ambitions whenever they came up. She never explained exactly why, but Muireann got the feeling that there was something that her mother was not telling her - something dark, mysterious and perhaps a little bit … dangerous.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application deadline in three days! We're already got a fantastic selection of potential characters for the game and I'm looking forward to getting started.

@Delafontaine
@Howling Winds of

Time to get your applications in now if you're still interested!