RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1232
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Applications are now closed. I'll be letting the successful applicants know shortly once I've made a decision on the final group.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to make an application. I've really enjoyed everything that you've come up with and there are some excellent ideas here.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Due to a couple of players having to leave the game, I now have spaces to add 2-3 new players. I've set a deadline of 19th September but if there's enough interest before then I'll close applications and accept the new players.

For anyone interested in the current party line-up:

Character Name Race Class Age
Zavilamalikai Water Genasi Storm Sorceror 20
Earenden High Elf Artificer 219
Rish Aries Air Genasi Monk 19
Old 09-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 365
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
Quick question: are warforged allowed? Thinking alomg the lines of some artisan guild made recovery drone.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Love the sound of it! Will definitely allow it.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:34 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 365
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
Sweet! Any particular role that needs to be filled?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 PM
Wandering Sage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2326
Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid
my first thought was I'd love to write up a dwarven wizard librarian intent on learning and recording as much history as possible, with a special love of anything that was from "before the storm".

EDIT: or cleric if more healing and such is needed.. perhaps someone religious of keeping the old ways still alive... like blacksmithing in a controlled oxygen environment might be tricky in my mind.

Last edited by Nomadic druid; 09-09-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingerdude View Post
Sweet! Any particular role that needs to be filled?
The party currently consists of a Sorcerer, Artificer and Monk. They had a barbarian and rogue, who have now left the game, so they are down their main damage dealers. The party also lacks anyone with healing abilities. But go for what you want and we'll see where you can fit in.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic druid View Post
my first thought was I'd love to write up a dwarven wizard librarian intent on learning and recording as much history as possible, with a special love of anything that was from "before the storm".

EDIT: or cleric if more healing and such is needed.. perhaps someone religious of keeping the old ways still alive... like blacksmithing in a controlled oxygen environment might be tricky in my mind.
Both ideas sound like a great fit with the theme of the game and the current party line-up.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Wandering Sage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2326
Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Mr. Kronin "Hairy knuckles" Copperbeard, at your service.
Race: Male Dwarf, respect the beard.

Class: 2nd lvl Cleric of Moradin, Knowledge domain

Background: Acolyte, but I ain't no altar boy!

Backstory: Born after the cataclysm, Kronin never knew life above the water. He had lived a modest childhood as children under the most world ending of circumstances could have had. He grew up earning wages in the form of offerings and gifts from the temple while putting his ample strength from his mountain blood crafting long into the night. It turns out that when a city is being built, there's a lot of small things that need done at the forge.

It wasn't long, to a dwarf, but after a few decades in real service as he grew older, he was finally taken notice of and given formal training in the priesthood. Recognizing that his wisdom matched his strength, the elders quickly found a new pupil with a thirst for knowledge. Unfortunately their resources were quite lacking in many areas and as such Kronin was quick to volunteer to explore any such ruins or opportunities that might present themselves.

Last edited by Nomadic druid; 09-09-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1077
Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot Zealot
Application
right-aligned image
Aurian the Dour

Race: Hobgoblin

Class: Wizard (Abjurer)

Alignment: True Neutral

Personality: It is not without fair reason that Aurian has earned the epithet of 'the Dour' and his general demeanor tends towards the foreboding. Having lived

Backstory:

Last edited by Zealot; 09-10-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
kwil kwil
Character Name: Ardin Blackstone
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral Good
Personality: Still on the young side for a dwarf, Ardin is quick to act and anxious to prove that he is a valuable asset to any team.
Backstory: Ardin's father, Artan, was a Salvager before him. Under his teachings, Ardin has been preparing to become a Salvager himself, seeing the great value he could provide to his community. His father recently went on an expedition and never returned, and though he still has training left to do, Ardin has convinced the powers that be to join up with a Salvage team in hopes of finding out what happened to his father, and ultimately proving his worth to himself, and those around him.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2196
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Stubb
left-aligned image
Name: Dagoo "Stubb" Tashtego, nicknamed by one of his companions because he is anything but stubby, it stuck. The last name comes from his mentor.
Race: Variant Human
Class: Barbarian (Totem)
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Sailor

Personality: Today, we might call it clinical paranoia as a result of childhood trauma. He sees everyone as a potential threat. Fortunately, he is also highly intelligent and understands that his chance of survival is appreciably greater when allied than alone. His presence in the crew is based on his calculation that their company gives him a stronger chance of survival than being alone. He's done that, it's hard, dangerous. While he doesn't talk a great deal, he does carry on a continuing interior monologue, talking to his totems (dolphin, whale, shark). Dolphin for assessment, understanding the environment around him, movement. Whale for defense, survival. Shark for attack and the potential to do harm.

Appearance: Dagoo is tall, with a muscular, powerful build. Scarred, both from the teeth of sea creatures and the scars of the cat of nine tails, he is not self conscious about them and rarely wear shirts or shoes. Oddly enough, for a sailor raised under the ocean with no interest or knowledge of gardening, his tattoos tend to be of flowers and sea anemones.

History: Dagoo grew up alone, a slave to the Sahuagin. No family, no companions, feral. He has no clear memories of a family, a mother, a father. Only caverns with their bubbles of air, work, pain, survival.

Then came the ships. Sahaugin ships in this low teach age always need rowers and aren't too picky about how they treat them. Chained to an oar, the skinny boy became strong and scarred. He also learned to speak, though never that well. During a raid, the rowers got a break, literally, as a great white whale stove in the side of the shipo. It also broke the chain free and though most drowned, Dagoo did not. He and another rower, Tashtego, escaped to the shore. The storms made the land nearly unliveable. All food remaining came from the sea. Tashtego, a skilled warrior, took Dagoo under his wing and taught him the way of the spear although the storms continued to worsen and death from their energies was inevitable if not immediate.

Until, one day, starving and wary, the two spearmen saw a party of mixed sea creatures and landsmen come up from the depth. They were fat with good eating and rich with artifacts. A raid, a quick strike then run. Tashtego took the lead. But the ones from the sea were not unwary; they spotted Tashtego and a bolt of storm light killed him just as he and Dagoo had always known it would. But not Dagoo. When he saw Tashtego die, he dropped his spear and, after a fierce debate, the men from the sea lashed his hands together and took him into the depths. Dagoo did not fight, what was the point? It was death to stay, maybe death to go but not yet.

And they went, to a land of wonders. A dome under the sea, with breathable air, and many fabulous wonders Dagoo had never heard of. He stayed, learned their language, and eventually got a chance to join a scavanger crew of his own. Dagoo would be brave, he would be fast, he would live.

Last edited by penbeast0; 09-11-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 210
Delirium Delirium Delirium
Application
Character Name: Olorea T'sarran
Race: Dark Elf
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personality: Despite attempting to keep a gruff, rough-and-tumble demeanor, Olorea is truly the definition of sheltered. She is sometimes overly trust and very friendly, with the tendency to see the best in people. She has something of a dog-like disposition: out-going and easy to win the trust of, it is harder to lose her loyalty than it is to gain it. Despite being a drow, she had very little understanding of people's perception of her race and know little of their prior history before they moved into Nautilona, which makes her sometimes incredibly oblivious to how she could potentially be percieved by those around her.
Backstory: There are many, surely, who complained bitterly about the smaller limits of the city, and of how cramped things must have seemed compared to the outer world. To no longer have an entire world, but merely a city to exist in, most certainly must have left many of the survivors of the cataclysm feeling like animals trapped in a cage. And yet, Olorea's confinement was even smaller than most.

For the majority of her life, Olorea stayed in one place; her sisters' mansion and the limits of their House. In all fairness, to call it a small would have been insulting; her eldest sister, having taken on the title of Matron Mother after their mother's death in the cataclysm, and having taken the oppertunity to unite as many "reformed" drow under her power as possible, had become the last real pocket of drow nobility left. It was no small feat, and no small title, but for an adventerous child like Olorea, the small area she was forced to inhabit and the strict rules of nobility was stifling.

Still, for all it was worth, Olorea's childhood was a relatively pleasant one. In spite of the typically distant familial bonds of drow, her and her sisters were as close as any family could be, a true mantra of "blood before all' tacitly ingrained into Olorea from birth. In some ways, that was for the better. There was no lack of affection in Olorea's youth, and she grew up wholly ignorant to the typical prejudices that were aimed at drow, instead raised on their victories and highlights of their culture, and how much drow had truly changed for the better now that they resided in Nautilona. And yet, as with all good things came bad. For all the good that being sheltred from a more bigoted outside world likely did Olorea, and in despite all the affection she was give, she was a restless child whose limited freedom was made even more grating by the high expectation of her eldest sister.

It wasn't shocking, given all that, that she took more to her third eldest sibling, Quarra, who like her thirsted for freedom and a life outside their oldest sister's expectations, (that being, becoming a cleric along side her and their second eldest), and wanted to travel beyond their own little pocket of the city, no matter what danger lurked in the wider world. It was Quarra, unsuprisingly, who got to live out those desires first, taking a job as a salvager, and then as a city gaurd, both of which she did with high acclaim and to much praise. Watching these accomplishents on Quarra's part only served to increase Olorea's desires to break free of the life she had been born into, and see the wider world.

So, at 101, much to her eldest sister's dismay, she decided to follow in her Quarra's original footsteps and become a salvager, wanting to get a taste of exploration and see a world even larger than even the border of the widder city that she had been deprived of.

Notable Bonds:
- Alaunda T'sarran: 206 years old, Olorea's eldest sister. Alaunda is young to weild all the power she has and to have accomplished so much. Despite being considered a Matron Mother and head of their drow house, Alaunda is a cleric of Istishia and left following Lolith years ago. In spite of this, Alaunda is not necessarily good at heart - she is, at best, lawful nuetral. She stands out from other 'non-reformed' drow only in that she cares deeply for her family and had the restraint and cunning to do move up the ranks in the underwater city without catching too much suspicion.
- Wuyonra T'sarran : 196 years old, Olorea's second eldest sister. Wuyonra was a cleric of Eilistraee long before they moved underground, a fact which Alaunda helped her keep secret for the longest time. Now in Nautilona she spends most of her time as a writer and activist for her goddess, deeply under the belief that the cataclysm was a gift to the drow to allow them to start over again.
- Quarra T'sarran: 176 years old, Olorea's thid eldest sister. Quarra is outgoing and suprisingly friendly, and having taken after her sister's belief in Eilistraee, became a paladin for her. She's seen as odd in the drow community be taking a job as a guard, as lingering cultural sentiments leave many seeing the disposable position something better left for male drow.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3504
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hi there! This certainly seems like an interesting and unique setting, so I'll gladly toss both my hat and my application into the ring .

Two quick questions, though- first off, I selected Hermit as my background, and their feature is that they have some big revelation about something. I included this as my character experiencing some portent of oncoming doom, but I intentionally left this vague because I don't know what you have planned. I'm fully willing to interpret this as my character knowing some undefined threat is about to rear its head (because, well, this is D&D after all) but not really knowing any details, just a general sense of impending doom. However, if you'd like to, I'd also be very happy to work something more substantial into his revelation, so that the character is better tailored to this campaign . Let me know, I'm fine with whatever direction you want to take!

Secondly, I had the option of choosing two languages, and I went with Primordial (since he spent time working with and speaking to Tritons) and Deep Speech (since he possibly came across some ancient texts or scrolls describing abandoned Aboleth empires beneath the waves). Honestly though, I just didn't really have an idea what else might suit my character's background- if you feel one or both of these exotic languages are not suited to my character, please let me know and I'll be happy to change them!

Anyway, thank you for considering my application!

Application
right-aligned image

Character Name: Anchor
Race: Warforged
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Good

Personality
Anchor was built to keep others safe, and every bit of his personality echoes this purpose. A gentle giant, the Warforged is utterly serene, selfless and eager to help. But he is old, very old- and the long sleep he endured during the past century has left him out of touch with the present day. Often the Warforged will reminisce about the days of old, remembering a time when the world was safe and people free to do as they pleased. This leads to him sometimes coming across as weary, or perhaps even dismissive of society as it is today. In truth, he simply wants what is best for the people- but his vision of what is best is based on century-old ideas, and much has changed since then.

Created by an elven diviner, Anchor possesses the tiniest spark of the long-dead mage's soul. This has influenced the Warforged's mind somewhat- while he does not possess the magical talents of his creator, Anchor shares a trait common among diviners; a tendency to look to the future, sometimes forgetting his surroundings as he ponders what may yet come. This further serves to alienate Anchor from mortals, who are obsessed with their own lives and often lose sight of the larger picture.

These two traits- a longing for the past and a concern for the future- leave the Warforged with a keen interest in cultural matters, most notably how a society and its customs evolve over time. He enjoys art, music and theatre, and places great value in libraries, universities and other depositories of knowledge. Above all else, he feels drawn towards the societies of the underwater people- stemming perhaps from the purpose for which he was created, or perhaps, the Warforged is simply fascinated by the unknown...

Backstory
Anchor was created 130 years ago, brought to life by an arcane science which has been long since forgotten. His creator was an elven wizard, Mindartis Iphelkiir, a visionary and diviner wracked by terrible visions of the future. Foreseeing not only the coming doom which would befall the world, but his own death as well, the elven mage decided he would help the cataclysm's survivors the only way he knew how. He set to work building a humanoid construct capable of living underwater, and sacrificed himself by pouring a shard of his soul into his creation. Thus breathing life into the construct, the elf died smiling, knowing his creation would aid in the survival of others.

A spark of the wizard lived on in the metal body, yet when he first awoke, the Warforged felt that he was a different person from the elf who had created him. Yet still he felt the imperatives his father had instilled in him- to protect and serve others, to keep them safe during the approaching doom, and to find shelter for them. The Warforged chose the name Anchor for himself- a stable, safe point in the seas which would soon drown the world.

For three decades, Anchor roamed the oceans, taking as many jobs as he could working either as part of a merchant captain's crew, or in local fishing villages. All the while he studied the seas and its people- reports of benevolt Tritons, tales of ravenous Sahuagin and the whispered rumours speaking of the mysterious, lost empires of Aboleth and Kraken. Anchor listened to all these and more, yet never made any true friends. For he knew what was coming, and realized that, when the time came, he could not let his judgement be clouded- the needs of the many outweighed those of the few, no matter how dear those few might prove to be to him. There was a good chance that anyone he befriended would soon die, and he could not risk the survival of all to save a friend. This burden weighed heavily on the lonely Warforged, yet he was built to endure such pain.

When the cataclysm finally happened, Anchor boarded one of the survivors' ships, patiently biding his time. He had no influence among the mortals- all he could do was wait for them to decide to build their city beneath the waves, as his father had prophesized. When they did, Anchor was among the first to volunteer. He travelled down to the bottom of the ocean, where he, the Tritons and the other survivors laboured to build their new haven. The Warforged worked tirelessly, knowing this was what he was created for.

Finally, Nautilona was finished. Yet as the survivors cheered, Anchor fell into a foul mood. He had done what he had been built for- but what now? He was without purpose, for the first time in his seemingly unending life. The Warforged tried as best he could to help others around him, protecting Nautilona's citizens. But eventually, he realized they needed him no longer. And so, the Warforged found himself a quiet corner of the city, and fell into a deep slumber lasting almost a hundred years.

Recently Anchor has awakened again. In his dreams, he saw something. It seemed the Iphelkiir's gift of prophecy has not left the Warforged entirely, for during his long sleep Anchor foresaw a terrible doom coming to Nautilona. And so, having found new purpose, the Warforged took up his weapons and prepared to defend the city he held so dear. He had but one lead- in his dreams, he had seen an elf, and a pair of Genasi, one of water and one of air. This trio was somehow linked to what would happen next, and Anchor realized it was imperative that he'd find them...

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 09-11-2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: messed up the image url, fixed now
Old 09-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
right-aligned image
Character Name: Arun Davon

Race: Sea Elf

Class: Rogue (Scout) Outlander Background

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Personality: While the city and its inhabitants intrigue him he feels most at home when he is out in the water exploring the vastness of it. He takes his role as Salvager very serious and enjoys it when he finds antiquities of the surface world. Even more so if he is able to keep one. When out on a mission he takes his role of scout and early warning for the others very serious. If he fails and others are injured he takes it very hard and blames himself. He will not give up his life for a lost cause, but he is more than willing to risk his neck to protect the members of his team.

Backstory: Arun Davon was 26 years old when the cataclysm struck. Even though that is considered a child to elves he was fully grown and remembers it well. His village was one of the many that banned together to help build Nautilona. Like him his parents were hunter-gatherers and he helped them to gather food for the refugees to eat while the underwater city was being built. They have continued in this roll for the last 99 years. Once he reached adulthood he decided to move into the city and has since joined the Salvagers. While he is not any where close to famous, he has helped to fight off several attacks from the less friendly denizens of the deep as well as gathering food. His actions and skills have caught the eye of his superiors. He has even been called on to help teach the land lubbers how to swim in the deep and how to hunt and gather food and otherwise survive.

Last edited by Draidden; 09-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.